• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank All 4 One |OT| Bros Before Foes

Carbonox

Loudninja said:
You sure are easy to sway.

It's mostly my expectations for Ratchet & Clank are very high and always have been. I have yet to be let down by a mainline title. I have loved them all. I do not even want to touch the PSP ones.

For this game to continue on from A Crack in Time by bringing back Nefarious, etc. as if what happened in the previous game was nothing, is very disappointing. Then they completely remove all exploration, shove in 4-player co-op (the idea suits the franchise but not to this degree that it clearly affects the game and creates nothing more than a fun family title) and pretty much expect their fans to be content with what is...well...just a 'fun family title'.

I'm bitching and I probably sound silly but I'm not optimistic for the future of this franchise. Insomniac have been pretty high on my shit list for a while now (I hated Resistance 3 but I ain't going in to that again). Pretty much throwing together a linear party game and slapping R&C on it doesn't sit well with me.

I dunno. I might be the only one who thinks this but it's a worrying prospect. The game is clearly being sent to die and I worry for the series. I think there still is potential for another major entry ala the Future titles.

UPS should drop this off for me sometime this afternoon. Should be really fun. I loved the 4 player coop in Resistance 2, so this should be a blast. :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
krae_man said:
Serves you right for living in Canada

Damn Quebec. Because of them we can't have nice things

If you live in Canada and bought All 4 One, call Sony customer support there for a hook-up (while supplies last)

krae_man

jstevenson said:
If you live in Canada and bought All 4 One, call Sony customer support there for a hook-up (while supplies last)

Any reason why everyone stopped doing the US version with a french manual and bilingual cover shrink wrapped over top method?

AAK

jstevenson said:

Is it Free? Or will they just send me a pdf or jpg for me to print by myself?

Thanks regardless for remembering us :) I love you guys.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
krae_man said:
Any reason why everyone stopped doing the US version with a french manual and bilingual cover shrink wrapped over top method?

No idea. SCE Canada would know more

AAK said:
Is it Free? Or will they just send me a pdf or jpg for me to print by myself?

Thanks regardless for remembering us :) I love you guys.

free free free

MrPliskin

Banned
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
It's mostly my expectations for Ratchet & Clank are very high and always have been. I have yet to be let down by a mainline title. I have loved them all. I do not even want to touch the PSP ones.

For this game to continue on from A Crack in Time by bringing back Nefarious, etc. as if what happened in the previous game was nothing, is very disappointing. Then they completely remove all exploration, shove in 4-player co-op (the idea suits the franchise but not to this degree that it clearly affects the game and creates nothing more than a fun family title) and pretty much expect their fans to be content with what is...well...just a 'fun family title'.

I'm bitching and I probably sound silly but I'm not optimistic for the future of this franchise. Insomniac have been pretty high on my shit list for a while now (I hated Resistance 3 but I ain't going in to that again). Pretty much throwing together a linear party game and slapping R&C on it doesn't sit well with me.

I dunno. I might be the only one who thinks this but it's a worrying prospect. The game is clearly being sent to die and I worry for the series. I think there still is potential for another major entry ala the Future titles.
This is very much a mainline title.

Yuterald

Exploring planets and collecting Gold Bolts, leveling up weapons, and earning Skill Points are like the main reasons why I enjoy R&C games. Does this game even have much exploration? I can't imagine a Ratchet game without Gold Bolts tucked away in hidden corners (well, disregarding Deadlock anyway).

I don't have the money for this right now, but I do want to pick this up at some point. I really don't see this game doing to well sales wise though, releasing on Batman day and everything. Good luck Insomniac!

Carbonox

Yuterald said:
Exploring planets and collecting Gold Bolts, leveling up weapons, and earning Skill Points are like the main reasons why I enjoy R&C games. Does this game even have much exploration? I can't imagine a Ratchet game without Gold Bolts tucked away in hidden corners (well, disregarding Deadlock anyway).

I don't have the money for this right now, but I do want to pick this up at some point. I really don't see this game doing to well sales wise though, releasing on Batman day and everything. Good luck Insomniac!

Game Front said "No exploration; perfectly linear". Trailers also show purely shooting and narrow paths for traversal. No exploration in a Ratchet game is fucking suicidal.

Yuterald

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Game Front said "No exploration; perfectly linear". Trailers also show purely shooting and narrow paths for traversal. No exploration in a Ratchet game is fucking suicidal.

Christ, seriously? I was honestly afraid this was going to be the case, but I gave Insomniac the benefit of the doubt. Yeah, I'm with you dude, the 4 player coop family fun shit does nothing for me. I've been a fan of the franchise since the original on PS2 and I to have standards and expectations for these games.

Ratchet games NEED exploration. I disliked Deadlock for these very reason. I mean, don't get me wrong, the combat isn't horrible in Ratchet games, but it's nothing TOO special either. The fun comes from trying out new weapons and upgrading stuff WHILE exploring and solving puzzles. Crack in Time really was the pinnacle of the PS2 era design. I would have honestly taken another game designed in a similar fashion.

COOP level design automatically restricts creativity, in my opinion anyway. This game at first glance reminded me of that Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light game. It was fun and everything, but there is something really empty about these kind of COOP experiences once you play the game once and I'm sure this Ratchet game will be no different.

Shtof

Yuterald said:
Christ, seriously? I was honestly afraid this was going to be the case, but I gave Insomniac the benefit of the doubt. Yeah, I'm with you dude, the 4 player coop family fun shit does nothing for me. I've been a fan of the franchise since the original on PS2 and I to have standards and expectations for these games.

Ratchet games NEED exploration. I disliked Deadlock for these very reason. I mean, don't get me wrong, the combat isn't horrible in Ratchet games, but it's nothing TOO special either. The fun comes from trying out new weapons and upgrading stuff WHILE exploring and solving puzzles. Crack in Time really was the pinnacle of the PS2 era design. I would have honestly taken another game designed in a similar fashion.

COOP level design automatically restricts creativity, in my opinion anyway. This game at first glance reminded me of that Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light game. It was fun and everything, but there is something really empty about these kind of COOP experiences once you play the game once and I'm sure this Ratchet game will be no different.
Deadlocked did have the best guns and the best gun leveling in the series, also the best combat.

Yuterald

Shtof said:
Deadlocked did have the best guns and the best gun leveling in the series, also the best combat.

But it was so boring though. This was the only Ratchet game I lost interest in 100%'ing because it became so repetitive. All the other games I played non stop until I saw and did everything the games had to offer.

The reviews seem really good so far. I don't know -- I think I'm coming at it from a different angle. I understand why people are disappointed this is not A Crack In Time 2, but it still could be brilliant fun regardless.

It's funny you know -- people tend to complain if a sequel is too similar to the previous game. But when it tries a totally new concept, they complain about that too.

You really can't please everyone.

Shtof

Yuterald said:
But it was so boring though. This was the only Ratchet game I lost interest in 100%'ing because it became so repetitive. All the other games I played non stop until I saw and did everything the games had to offer.
This was the only Ratchet game I 100%'ed. Well, obviously GC and UYA too, then again I had more time on my hands and the Ratchet formula has grown a little old over the years. Managed to achieve the Platinum in CiT, though, it's just nothing compared to the hundreds of hours I spent on the PS2 games.

I just wish they'd kept the control scheme and weapon mechanics from Deadlocked and added in exploration and, you know, the stuff that was missing. There were so many amazing aspects in the 3 first games that they just forgot about, even after Deadlocked.

MrPliskin said:
Disagree.
Disagree all you want. Not gonna change anything.

Massa

MrPliskin said:
Disagree.

Mainline or not, this title is a big departure from the previous Ratchet games and was made by a completely different team.

It still looks like an awesome game and I can't wait to play it, but sequel to ACiT (one of the best PS3 games) it is not.

TripOpt55

I played a level alone offline. I noticed my character didn't level up at all when I went back to the character select screen. Is this because it doesn't happen in the first level or do you have to be online to level up? Don't want to miss out is all.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
TripOpt55 said:
I played a level alone offline. I noticed my character didn't level up at all when I went back to the character select screen. Is this because it doesn't happen in the first level or do you have to be online to level up? Don't want to miss out is all.

did you get the patch? (don't think that would cause it, just checking)

I'm a huge fan of the series, but none of the videos have done anything for me. And the early word of mouth seems like this game is not designed for me. I suspect, if this is the future of the franchise, that Crack In Time might have been my last R&C...

MrPliskin

Banned
Massa said:
Mainline or not, this title is a big departure from the previous Ratchet games and was made by a completely different team.

It still looks like an awesome game and I can't wait to play it, but sequel to ACiT (one of the best PS3 games) it is not.
Departure or not, it's still very much a full featured Ratchet game, and more importantly, it feels like a ratchet game.

Also, pretty sure a lot of the folks on this team worked on previous titles. IG is a big studio, and a great number of folks at NC came from the Burbank studio.

MrPliskin

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
Wow, better reviews than I thought it would get!

It's a really solid game. There are gameplay elements that are obviously a departure from typical R&C, but the tone, art, and "feel" of everything is definitely Ratchet.

There's some mild exploration (definitely mild) and you can miss things if you just follow the standard path. There are also some minor weapon upgrades. Looks like there's some additional content as well in the form of Skill Points, unlockable skins, a Bestiary, and some other cool things.

overcast

I loved the first 3 R&C. Favorite series of last generation. Just recently got my first PS3, going to get the Future and ACIT after the holiday rush. Good to see those are great.

I'll try this one out after it drops in price.

SykoTech

KingK said:
That is fucking tragic. ACiT is not only possibly the best Ratchet game, but one of the best games on the PS3. It deserved so much better sales. Do we know what it's current number is?

Not sure about the current number, but Insomniac said that it was the "fastest selling" Ratchet & Clank game. So I'm guessing it did alright in the end, as R&C always does.

So when are they going to release the first Ratchet and Clank in HD with good controls (strafing)?

It's the only one I never finished because I played it after GC and UYA. You really can't go back.

TripOpt55

jstevenson said:
did you get the patch? (don't think that would cause it, just checking)
Yeah I got the patch. I just figured I would have gained a bit of experience during the level even if not a full level up or something.

Shtof

TouchMyBox said:
So when are they going to release the first Ratchet and Clank in HD with good controls (strafing)?

It's the only one I never finished because I played it after GC and UYA. You really can't go back.
I did, and it went fine. Going by that logic, none of the games after Deadlocked should be playable.

Yuterald said:

Eurogamer said it best, Deadlocked is just a constant fireworks show. Very pretty, very spectacular, but it just goes on and on for about 6-8 hours and is exhausting.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
TripOpt55 said:
Yeah I got the patch. I just figured I would have gained a bit of experience during the level even if not a full level up or something.

when you jumped back in did you have your bolts/ purchased weapons?

Shtof said:
I did, and it went fine. Going by that logic, none of the games after Deadlocked should be playable.

Luckily I played deadlocked last on the PS2, and enjoyed it as I went in with low expectations. R&C1 wasn't unplayable, but it did really irk me not being able to strafe. I finished half of it though.

Shtof

TouchMyBox said:
Luckily I played deadlocked last on the PS2, and enjoyed it as I went in with low expectations. R&C1 wasn't unplayable, but it did really irk me not being able to strafe. I finished half of it though.
I think you get the strafe ability late in the game, it's an upgrade for the thruster-pack.

TripOpt55

jstevenson said:
when you jumped back in did you have your bolts/ purchased weapons?
You know what I didn't actually jump back into a game. Maybe if I would have my stuff would have been there. I just kind of went to the character select screen again as I was curious what kind of experience I had gained. Sorry, I might have been wasting your time here... haha. I will check when I get the chance tonight when I hop back on.

Yay, got the game. Now to have some fun! Oh, and if anyone wants to play online with me, my PSN is in my profile. Not posting it publicly for obvious reasons.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
TripOpt55 said:
You know what I didn't actually jump back into a game. Maybe if I would have my stuff would have been there. I just kind of went to the character select screen again as I was curious what kind of experience I had gained. Sorry, I might have been wasting your time here... haha. I will check when I get the chance tonight when I hop back on.

let me know. We are of course keeping an eye out for any weird bugs, but the Day 1 Patch addresses most (if not all) the progression related ones

krae_man

Crap, Purolator didn't leave the game in my mailbox. It's too late to pick it up today and I don't have time to pick it up Tomorrow. I'll have to wait till Thursday:(

Milla

Neo Member
Impeccable said:
(Now we need a PS2 HD collection so I can experience what I missed last gen.)

This. I'd love to ditch my PS2, but I can't until R&C is available for PS3. I play the earlier games still.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Got my copy a few hours ago. If you want to play the game with me, add me! :).

PSN: thunderbear

(great, at the bottom of the page, again!)

Top Bottom