• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| The Skinemax of MOBAs

8byte

Banned
7Aaxu.png

IHK1x.png

• Platform: PS3 and PSV
  • Release Date: November 27, 2012 (Jan’ 13 for PSV)
  • Players: 2 Local (Co-op) 4 Online (2v2)
  • Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment

What is Full Frontal Assault? It is a smaller Ratcher & Clank title that will be released fr $19.99 at both retail and PSN. It is a cross-buy and cross-play* title. It is a blend of classic R&C gameplay, MOBA gameplay, and Tower Defense. Check the videos section for a clearer idea of how gameplay flows.

IHK1x.png

DtOq6.png

Official Trailer:

Gamescom Gameplay:

MP Footage (BETA):

IHK1x.png

D5tzf.png

COMING SOON (Sorry, will get them up ASAP).

IHK1x.png

koHU6.png

TG1CO.jpg
WuWTQ.jpg
nXnov.jpg
85TOx.jpg

Jd4nW.jpg
01jym.jpg
fZBry.jpg
50y33.jpg

MaIzv.jpg
MlRo0.jpg
I8ybS.jpg
fTHhA.jpg

IHK1x.png

6hSqd.png

In a nutshell, it shares very similar core mechanics, with an interesting blend of Tower Defense. You capture nodes (turrets) which feed you bolts (currency) over time. Killing players / minions / crates will reward players with more bolts as well. There are 7 rounds, each round with 3 phases.

Phase 1: This is known as the “Recon Phase”. During the Recon Phase, you go out across the map and capture your nodes. Nodes are captured by destroying the guards (creeps) that patrol them, and taking out all of the turrets at the node. Once that is done, you may initiate the short minigame to capture the node.

Phase 2: This is known as the “Squad Phase”. During Squad Phase, you return to your base and purchase either defenses to protect your base, or minions to attack the enemy base. You can mix and match as much as you like, and defenses can be sold for the same amount they were purchased for (if you feel like that extra 1,000 bolts will win the match in a final push). There are two “lanes” into your base, which you can arm with shields, mines, and turrets (hence, the “Tower Defense” element).

Phase 3: This is known as the “Assault Phase”. During the Assault Phase, players will attack / defend accordingly to win the game. In order to win the game, you must destroy all 6 of the enemy’s generators before the round ends (as you do not have access to them in the other rounds). The round does not end until all squad units have been destroyed or generators have been destroyed. If you can’t defend your base, there is a one time use “Panic Button” that will shield all of your generators for 30 seconds, allowing you to inflict damage on the minions and hopefully end the round before your base is destroyed.

Last round: After 6 rounds have been completed, players enter an all or nothing sudden death round, and you simply fight and attack their generators until one player comes out on top. This is done to prevent a “stalemate” or extremely long games.

Perk Upgrades: Throughout the match, there are "perk upgrades" you can purchase. These range from regenerating HP, stronger melee, stronger attack units, or stronger defenses. Think of this as your "build order". You can invest in heavy defenses, effectively making you a "tank" player (since it will be very difficult for a player to simply send in squads to destroy your base). Think of your base and your player as extensions of one another, as far as build order is concerned. I'll go more into this later.

IHK1x.png

BydIe.png

FFA isn't a "traditional" MOBA, in that your character doesn't have a specific Build Order. Instead, the "build order" encompass's much more, to include the order in which you procure weapons, which you chose to use most (to make them more powerful) and which perks you decide to buy at your upgrade station, and finally when and what attack forces you send to the enemy base. This is all dependent on your ability to procure and maintain resources (nodes). Nodes delivery bolts (game currency) to your bank, allowing you to purchase these upgrades. You also get bolts for killing enemy minions during the attack phase, as well as killing enemy players at any point.

As an example, here is a build order I have been working on.

Recon Phase 1:
1. Power Weapon (Warmonger)
2. Dopple Banger
3. Sonic Eruptor
4. Thunder Smack

At this point, I feel like anything following is in whatever order, so long as you can maintain control of 4 or more nodes. The power weapons help to quickly recapture already captured nodes, and Dopple Bangers will draw enemy fire (and do damage) allowing you to quickly down a node. The Sonic Eruptor does short ranged area damage, and is excellent for mobs of turrets (2 to 3 can be taken out at a time, if you're aiming well). The Thunder Smack does area damage as well, and can work for defense if you want to capture a node w/out destroying turrets (3 dopple bangers to draw fire, 1 thunder smack to guard you from melee enemies).

Following this phase, I'll generally invest in 1 shield in each lane (to keep the other player out) and spend the rest of my resources, if available, to upgrade to Elite Demolitions minions (they take out shields and turrets rather quickly). If are in an even match, these will come in handy to down enemy defenses so you can send in a tank for big damage (or just as a threat so you can invade their base).

I can go into more detail, but I don't want to bloat the OP. Ask me questions if you have them.

IHK1x.png

Why Should I Buy This Game?
For one, it’s a “return to form” for Ratchet & Clank, with a traditional and controllable 3rd person camera, as well as some fantastic multiplayer! Second, the title is Full Frontal Assault. How could you NOT want that in your collection? Heresy. Also, it’s a Cross-Buy title for PS3/Vita (Vita Version to release in Jan ‘13) for $19.99.

IHK1x.png

Reviews:
NowGamer: 8.0
Slant Magazine: 4/5
Eurogamer: 6/10

IHK1x.png

F.A.Q.

Q: Does this game have a single player campaign?
A: Yes!

Q: Will the game have any DLC?
A: Yes! 3 Free skins for purchasing the games initially. Also, jsteveson hinted to a map pack on the Insomniac Games forums.

Q: Does this game support Cross Play?
A: It absolutely does (COMPETITIVE ONLY).

Q: Why aren't there more images in this OT?
A: Because that's silly!

Q: How long is this game?
A: It's comparable to Quest 4 Booty (between 3 and 4 hours), but it also offers a robust multiplayer component that extends replay value.

Q: I'm not sold. Is there a demo or anything?
A: Yes, there will be a trial available on the PS Store on release day.

Q: Does this game have a Platinum Trophy?
A: Yes.

IHK1x.png

True to Ratchet & Clank games, here are some rejected OT Titles:
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| Fifty Shades of Clank
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| All In: The Education of Copernicus Qwark
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| This Hoe Aint Ratchet
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| Softcore Gaming at its Finest

For anyone who has read negative things a out campaign difficulty, patch 1.02 addresses a lot of those concerns!!
Changes are as follows:

Campaign

- Weapons can now level up to 5! And don’t worry, the experience you’ve earned up to this point will count toward the new cap.
- Need to get back to base in a hurry? We’ve brought over the popular base-teleport feature from Competitive to Campaign.
- We’ve marked down the prices for most base defenses.
- Enemy waves have been tuned across the entire game.

Competitive

- We got rid of filtering by cheats and replaced it with an option to limit the games to friends only.
- We have added a visual indicator for hero upgrades. The more upgrades purchased, the more pips you’ll see above a player’s health bar.
- Several exploits patched. Rage-quitters beware!
- Bug fixes galore.

Yanksfan

Preordered. Love the series, but also love the crossplay support. I really hope this continues to be a trend moving forward.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I saw this and I was wondering, why the $20 price? Plus the ps vita cross buy? Almost seems too good to be true. I'm keeping my eyes on it though.

8byte

Banned
So it's a tower defense game? No single player? What?

Read the OT :p

Yes, it has a single player component that is very similar in length to Quest 4 Booty, and is traditional (not like All 4 One).

No, it is not a Tower Defense game. It is traditional R&C with some "tower defense" elements (basically enemies attack in waves, and you have to buy defenses to fend them off from your base in multiplayer). SP is traditional.

I saw this and I was wondering, why the $20 price? Plus the ps vita cross buy? Almost seems too good to be true. I'm keeping my eyes on it though.

It's $20 because it's a smaller bite sized title. Shorter SP (similar to Q4B) with a multiplayer mode.

stonedwal

Loved every Ratchet & Clank until All 4 One, which killed my interest in the series. Gonna skip this one and play the mainline games again instead.

Empty

more ratchet is always welcome but hopefully this is a bit better than quest for booty.

i was also hoping it'd be longer than that game for $20 as someone who doesn't play much multiplayer

spats

"Q: How long is this game?
A: It's comparable to Quest 4 Booty, but it also offers weapon upgrades and a multiplayer component that extend replay value. "

Maybe you should change that to an actual numeric value. Not everybody has played Q4B. I played when it came out and I've got no idea how long it was. Three to four hours?

8byte

Banned
A: It's comparable to Quest 4 Booty, but it also offers weapon upgrades and a multiplayer component that extend replay value. "

Maybe you should change that to an actual numeric value. Not everybody has played Q4B. I played when it came out and I've got no idea how long it was. Three to four hours?

Yea, probably close to 3-4 hours. I'll make sure to add that in, thanks!

How about releasing a game with a huge SP portion again but with a small tacked on MP portion instead if you really HAVE to include that Insomniac?

We never asked for this :(

I hope there's a Plus discount for this. Whatever the $20 equivalent on the UK store is seems a little much for me to buy right away.

I think that's about right.

I was prepared to ignore this game but after watching gameplay, it looks really fun and I love more Ratchet and Clank so I may give this a shot after all!

If buying this will also lead to more traditional Ratchet and Clank games like the Future series, I'm all for it.

8byte

Banned
How about releasing a game with a huge SP mode again but with a small tacked on MP portion if you really HAVE to include that Insomniac?

We never asked for this :(

I'm thankful they did it, because the MP is incredibly fun. Also, Sony funds the games, and likely asks them to make them (as they own the IP). You're pointing to the wrong company ;)

Empty

might as well ask in here - is all 4 one worth playing single player only? i just remembered it's a ps+ game for europe this month.

SykoTech

Already picked up another $20 PSN card the other day. I'm ready.

Didn't care much for All 4 One at all, but the beta for this was pretty good. Not expecting anything genius from the North Carolina studio though. I hope Insomniac's main studio will take control of the franchise again and make another mainline game for the PS4. But this should be a decent appetizer until then.

8byte

Banned
Already picked up another $20 PSN card the other day. I'm ready.

Didn't care much for All 4 One at all, but the beta for this was pretty good. Not expecting anything genius from the North Carolina studio though. I hope Insomniac's main studio will take control of the franchise again and make another mainline game for the PS4. But this should be a decent appetizer until then.

Their NC Studio has a lot of the old R&C veterans, lol.

might as well ask in here - is all 4 one worth playing single player only? i just remembered it's a ps+ game for europe this month.

Since you got it for free, of course it's worth playing. It's got some good writing, and some interesting landscapes to see. Playing SP probably isn't "as fun" as a 4 player local experience, but it's still worth checking out, I think.

Derrick01

Banned
I'll probably end up getting it when the vita version arrives. I really really hope they're working on a large scale traditional Ratchet for PS4 though, or at least have preliminary plans in place for one. By traditional I just mean pure single player and hopefully even more fleshed out than a crack in time.

8byte

Banned
FYI, there is a LOT of stuff that is MP that I don't know about yet, and the OP will be updated appropriately to reflect all of that! The MP is FANTASTIC and if you're a fan of MOBAs, I highly recommend it for a fresh experience!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
been playing the crap out of this at work.

I'll say this, we plan to support MP... and if we were to add maps (not saying we will), we'd probably make them free as to not split the userbase.

also, MP has LOTS of new stuff since the beta, like you now can pay to upgrade your turrets, so there's even more choices with your bolts each match

been playing the crap out of this at work.

I'll say this, we plan to support MP... and if we were to add maps (not saying we will), we'd probably make them free as to not split the userbase.

also, MP has LOTS of new stuff since the beta, like you now can pay to upgrade your turrets, so there's even more choices with your bolts each match

I always appreciate this. I'll never forget how disappointed I was after a bunch of maps came out for halo 2. I was stuck to like one playlist or game mode!

Carl

Was going to buy day one.

But i'll wait for the Vita version to release now, seeing as the Vita version is the only one i will ever play

Xater

BTW in Europe it is called Q-Force...

What a shitty name. Whoever thought the original title needed changing should be fired.

Haunted

I'm confused. OP mentions mobas (which I like) but the description in the OP reads like TD (which I hate), with the separate phases and all.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm confused. OP mentions mobas (which I like) but the description in the OP reads like TD (which I hate), with the separate phases and all.
MOBA is a meaningless phrase invented by Riot Games. They're all essentially a TD subgenre, which is itself a strategy game subgenre.

Haunted

MOBA is a meaningless phrase invented by Riot Games. They're all essentially a TD subgenre, which is itself a strategy game subgenre.
Thanks for the history lesson, I'm well aware. You dolt. :p

Traditional TD and mobas (or single unit RTS or ARTS or Hero RTS or whatever you want to call the [sub]genre) play very differently, that's what I wanted clarification on.

Carl

QForce was the name Qwark gave to their "team" in Up Your Arsenal, so it is still a good name. Just not as good as Full Frontal Assault.

8byte

Banned

It's "MOBA" in that there is a very distinct territory control and player progression that is similar to MOBAs. You take out the turrets, then capture them to collect resources over time.

I'll try to make it more clear, but basically it's a blend of the two with a Ratchet & Clank twist.

Haunted

It's "MOBA" in that there is a very distinct territory control and player progression that is similar to MOBAs. You take out the turrets, then capture them to collect resources over time.

I'll try to make it more clear, but basically it's a blend of the two with a Ratchet & Clank twist.
Thanks. :) Don't worry about it, I've looked at the beta footage and it's a blend alright. Reminded me of MNC even though I think dividing the match into phases is strange. The real-time dynamic tug-of-war ebb and flow aspect is what makes a moba match so interesting, I think. Seems like the separate phases would lessen that somewhat.

edit: also, Q-Force is a solid name.

8byte

Banned
Thanks. :) Don't worry about it, I've looked at the beta footage and it's a blend alright. Reminded me of MNC even though I think dividing the match into phases is strange. The real-time dynamic tug-of-war ebb and flow aspect is what makes a moba match so interesting, I think. Seems like the separate phases would lessen that somewhat.

edit: also, Q-Force is a solid name.

You can do other things during the phases, like sell resources, kill creeps, and farm crates / nodes.

So you can go destroy nodes during any phase, but you can only capture them during the recon phase. It's a pretty nice tug of war, but it's definitely "different" from traditional MOBA / TD / RTS design.

BTW in Europe it is called Q-Force...

What a shitty name. Whoever thought the original title needed changing should be fired.

I always thought it was odd that we got the tame titles in Europe. (And odder still that they went back to different names after the PS3 games have shared the same titles in both regions) It seems like it would be more controversial in America to have sexual innuendos in the titles of kids' games. It makes it pretty confusing when people mention Going Commando or Up Your Arsenal and I get mixed up which one they're talking about.

8byte

Banned
I always thought it was odd that we got the tame titles in Europe. (And odder still that they went back to different names after the PS3 games have shared the same titles in both regions) It seems like it would be more controversial in America to have sexual innuendos in the titles of kids' games. It makes it pretty confusing when people mention Going Commando or Up Your Arsenal and I get mixed up which one they're talking about.

It's mostly because the double entandres don't translate so well across all 22 territories for SCEE. Hence, it's named Q Force which is easier to use without losing any meaning.

Cautiously optimistic. Will wait for reviews since prior feedback wasn't so hot.

Huh? Were we reading the same beta thread?

I wanted to mention that one of my best friends did a lot of work for this game in terms of sound design. He wrote a significant number of tracks for his internship with Insomniac Games.

I can't wait to get this game as I'm a big Ratchet and Clank fan. Plus I'm supporting his work.

Katzii

It's kind of boring as a single-player experience. I downloaded it so I could sell my retail copy but need to find online people to play with!

TripOpt55

Will be buying for sure. Am curious how the singleplayer will turn out. Love Ratchet though. Excited to play this one. Going retail. I like to have the case/disc.

It's kind of boring as a single-player experience. I downloaded it so I could sell my retail copy but need to find online people to play with!

The first time I played A4O single player it just did not click, I think the type of experience it's going for, the levels are waaay too long and drag a bit. But I went back earlier this week and played through the whole game and it really worked for me this time. I had been playing ACIT beforehand though so I don't know if it was just my enthusiasm for that or what, but I do like A4O, it has some really nice looking levels, and it can get pretty funny with other peeps online. If anyone ever wants people to play with, hit me up at doniefnwhalberg . Getting the million bolts is brutal alone and playing with others multiples your bolts you receive so it's worth getting some people to play with. Also
the cutscene with Quark and Croid is AMAZING haha

As for FFA, I'm warily excited. I love Insomniac, but I honestly would rather a large scale ACIT sequel, and I need to play before I can really figure out if I like the sound of the gameplay additions to this one. This is made by the A4O team though right? So it'll be cool so see them take another crack at the series.

Just on a bit of a tangent, what is the team layout at Insomniac these days? I was under the impression that there was a Resistance team and a R&C team that had a certain level of staff crossover, and then they set up the A4O studio. Is that the case/if it is, is it the Resistance team working on Fuse? Trying to figure out if we have a team working on a mystery game right now, or if the Resistance/original R&C team are just one now? If anyone knows, thanks.

V_Ben

Banned
I've been playing my promo copy for review, and so far it's pretty good. Story is a little disappointing so far, but the vilain review made me laugh so much. Well done Insomniac.

wouwie

I've been playing my promo copy for review, and so far it's pretty good. Story is a little disappointing so far, but the vilain review made me laugh so much. Well done Insomniac.

Does it have a traditional single player part that isn't tower defence based (something similar to Q4B)?

V_Ben

Banned
Does it have a traditional single player part that isn't tower defence based (something similar to Q4B)?

Nope, but the levels are pretty large and reward exploration. Finding weapons is great fun.

Edit: Game does prove that the A4O team knows what makes a fun Ratchet game though. It's a blast to play.

rdrr gnr

True to Ratchet & Clank games, here are some rejected OT Titles:
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| Fifty Shades of Clank
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| All In: The Education of Copernicus Qwark
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| This Hoe Aint Ratchet
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| Softcore Gaming at its Finest
These are all absolutely fantastic.

Top Bottom