• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| The Skinemax of MOBAs

Dragun619

I think this will be my last game that i"ll buy. Bought plenty games this month and now I have quite the backlog. But I'm sorta stoked to play this as I've been on that Ratchet & Clank grind with the HD collection and now slowly moving through R&C: All 4 One.

So far it hasn't been clicking with me yet but I'll take break from it and try it again sometime.

rdrr gnr

I think this will be my last game that i"ll buy. Bought plenty games this month and now I have quite the backlog. But I'm sorta stoked to play this as I've been on that Ratchet & Clank grind with the HD collection and now slowly moving through R&C: All 4 One.

So far it hasn't been clicking with me yet but I'll take break from it and try it again sometime.
All 4 One is a trudge -- so many sections overstay their welcome. Skip it if you aren't enjoying it.

V_Ben

Banned
Ok, Single Player done. About 4 hours, less cutscenes than Q4B... A little disappointing on that front, but the gameplay is at least fun. Last 2 levels were pretty interesting. Game really likes making references to past Ratchet games, really feels like a closing out of the games on PS3. Makes me interested in a next gen ratchet though.

SykoTech

^Thanks for the impressions V-Ben. 4 hours sounds pretty solid for a $20 game with multiplayer.

Their NC Studio has a lot of the old R&C veterans, lol.

I know, but the studio's output so far (All 4 One and beta for this game) hasn't really impressed me so far. Maybe they might have what it takes to make a great mainline R&C rather than the smaller titles they've made so far, but I'd feel a lot better if they just got the team that made A Crack in Time to do it.

Carbonox

Game looks fun (and better than All 4 One) but I won't be getting a Ratchet game until I see another full-scale title. However, this 'game' would have made a brilliant multiplayer package on top of a full-scale single player mode. That would be soooome product.

8byte

Banned
Game looks fun (and better than All 4 One) but I won't be getting a Ratchet game until I see another full-scale title. However, this 'game' would have made a brilliant multiplayer package on top of a full-scale single player mode. That would be soooome product.

The MP is still pretty good. It's definitely worth checking out.

^Thanks for the impressions V-Ben. 4 hours sounds pretty solid for a $20 game with multiplayer.

I know, but the studio's output so far (All 4 One and beta for this game) hasn't really impressed me so far. Maybe they might have what it takes to make a great mainline R&C rather than the smaller titles they've made so far, but I'd feel a lot better if they just got the team that made A Crack in Time to do it.

I think that's on Sony's shoulders more than anything at this point. The NC studio is a lot of the people who made ACiT, they have what it takes. Stepping outside of the box and experimenting with a franchise doesn't mean you lose what it takes, lol,

These are all absolutely fantastic.

Thanks man, it's really tough to pick an OT title, lol.

kvothe

As a new Vita owner
yes, the amazon sale :)
, this game looks pretty rad. These videos should basically look on par with the Vita version, yeah? Cause if so, this is a damn pretty Vita game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
As a new Vita owner
yes, the amazon sale :)
, this game looks pretty rad. These videos should basically look on par with the Vita version, yeah? Cause if so, this is a damn pretty Vita game.

more or less. they are still working on it to get it as close as possible, hence the delay in the Vita version.

it obviously won't be 100% of the PS3 version, but it will look good.

I think I'll give this a try. I played All 4 One recently since it was part of PS+ and that game was just dreadful. I need a good Ratchet game to get rid of that bad taste in my mouth and regain my faith in the franchise.

sajj316

more or less. they are still working on it to get it as close as possible, hence the delay in the Vita version.

it obviously won't be 100% of the PS3 version, but it will look good.

Mr. Stevenson, at a point of releasing screens or video of the Vita version? Please make sure they are not those horribly compressed OS level screen grabs!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yes. Is Walmart going to Insomniac jail now?

nah, all good. I doubt Sony marked it heavily, and having been a media supervisor at Best Buy, I know how insane this weekend is in terms of putting product on the shelves and such.

technically Wal-Mart's systems should prevent them from selling, but whatever. Not a big deal. Exciting for fans who nabbed it early while shopping

krae_man

This cross buy tech is interesting. Each disk must have some unique code in it or something because there is no online pass code in here. Only piece of paper inside has just the warranty and legal disclaimers on it. Controls are printed on the back of the boxart sleeve.

8byte

Banned
This cross buy tech is interesting. Each disk must have some unique code in it or something because there is no online pass code in here. Only piece of paper inside has just the warranty and legal disclaimers on it. Controls are printed on the back of the boxart sleeve.

Yea, I speculated that's how it'd work. Jealous you got it early!!

jstevenson - If I snag an early copy, would you guys want me to refrain from streaming?

krae_man

L1+[] to combat strike? Gah, that's like swapping B and A in a Mario game. Why did you change that?

Actually, I see why you changed it, you wanted to give the swing shot it's own button. The swing shot has been the weapon wheel for like 20 games and worked fine. Seriously, this is really annoying.

Edit: Also I figured out who the main villain is instantly. So much for the reveal that is coming later.

Edit 2: I also don't like weapon firing being on R1 instead of Circle like it has always been. I spent most of the first mission fighting the controls.

Tagg9

Have pre-ordered and will be splitting my next couple weeks playing this and PlayStation All-Stars.

Does the game have 2v2 online with two local players (splitscreen)?

8byte

Banned
L1+[] to combat strike? Gah, that's like swapping B and A in a Mario game. Why did you change that?

Actually, I see why you changed it, you wanted to give the swing shot it's own button. The swing shot has been the weapon wheel for like 20 games and worked fine. Seriously, this is really annoying.

Edit: Also I figured out who the main villain is instantly. So much for the reveal that is coming later.

Edit 2: I also don't like weapon firing being on R1 instead of Circle like it has always been. I spent most of the first mission fighting the controls.

I've always played on Lock Strafe, and this is really similar. After you get used to it, it's far and away better.

Have pre-ordered and will be splitting my next couple weeks playing this and PlayStation All-Stars.

Does the game have 2v2 online with two local players (splitscreen)?

Split screen local is co-op only, last I heard.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

honestly it was more about making sure the controls were correct for competitive play and as such, putting people into those controls from the beginning.

I'm the same way and played with the classic/default controls, but now I wouldn't switch back

I forgot about this game. But, I've got it preordered now. Always down for more Ratchet. All 4 One had its moments, but I'm excited for a return to single player.

krae_man

honestly it was more about making sure the controls were correct for competitive play and as such, putting people into those controls from the beginning.

I'm the same way and played with the classic/default controls, but now I wouldn't switch back

How hard would have it been to have two control options? "Classic" and "Competitive"? I have to unlearn hundreds of hours of muscle memory needlessly.

Anyway, the gameplay was fun. Once I got the hang of the hover boots and where the teleport pads were, I was fine.

8byte

Banned
How hard would have it been to have two control options? "Classic" and "Competitive"? I have to unlearn hundreds of hours of muscle memory needlessly.

Anyway, the gameplay was fun. Once I got the hang of the hover boots and where the teleport pads were, I was fine.

I think the idea here is to make it more familiar to new players of the series, as these controls are closer to what you would encounter in a traditional 3rd person game, where as the classic stuff feels considerably more clunky and dated (IMO).

krae_man

I think the idea here is to make it more familiar to new players of the series, as these controls are closer to what you would encounter in a traditional 3rd person game, where as the classic stuff feels considerably more clunky and dated (IMO).

Have any shooters completely abandoned their control scheme for CODs in new games without having the traditional one an option? Serious question I don't play shooters.

KalBalboa

Banned
Absolutely getting this, but I have to wait a week. My back catalog jumped up a lot this last month and I haven't even touched Walking Dead episodes 3 & 4, let alone 5.

I love this genre and the Rachet control scheme seems like it'll work really well for it. Plus, YOPO.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

it's just more about the classic controls not working at all for competitive play because the auto-aim is so liberal. and we want people to play competitive so it's sort of a design decision to standardize the controls for both

8byte

Banned
Have any shooters completely abandoned their control scheme for CODs in new games without having the traditional one an option? Serious question I don't play shooters.

In a way, yes. As CoD has become ultra popular over the years, more and more players expect that control scheme, or something increasingly similar. I wouldn't really say that FFA controls are inspired by CoD though, as this scheme is really similar to lock-strafe from the classic PS2 titles. Obviously it has similarities and isn't 100% like the old lock-strafe, but that's neither here nor there.

Once more people are in for competitive MP, I think you'll grow to appreciate it more (if you enjoy MP).

krae_man

it's just more about the classic controls not working at all for competitive play because the auto-aim is so liberal. and we want people to play competitive so it's sort of a design decision to standardize the controls for both

If sticking with the classic controls causes me to get my butt kicked because I can't freely move the aiming reticle. I'll learn a new control scheme if that's what I want to do. Still not a reason to force me to use use a particular control scheme.

Skidd

Is this like Orcs Must Die? I loved Orcs Must Die.
You have a base which you must defend from waves of enemies by setting up force fields, turrets and mines. There are short intervals between waves where you can build new defences, or go out and scavenge the rest of the level outside your base for more weapons and bolts.

I think you'd enjoy this game quite a lot ;)

The Jer

If sticking with the classic controls causes me to get my butt kicked because I can't freely move the aiming reticle. I'll learn a new control scheme if that's what I want to do. Still not a reason to force me to use use a particular control scheme.
It sounds like the issue is the auto-aim with the 3rd person mode - not that it would cause you to get your butt kicked. I would guess the 3rd person modes rely on auto-aim quite heavily.

Personally, I'm wholly against multiple control styles (not button layouts) for MP. Having both controllers and keyboard/mouse is not fun. It forces people to use keyboard/mouse. I thought allowing both MOVE controls and controllers was a bad idea for Resistance 3. I'm all for forcing players to use a specific input device or control style for MP.

That being said, it would be nice if the game allowed a "classic" 3rd person scheme option for the SP game, even if the default controls match the lock-strafe mode used in MP.

I'm used to lock-strafe and used it as soon as it became available. I wouldn't be that annoyed if it wasn't an option. But, both schemes should be an option in SP.

Skidd

That being said, it would be nice if the game allowed a "classic" 3rd person scheme option for the SP game, even if the default controls match the lock-strafe mode used in MP.
I played the Beta like I was using 3rd person mode. Didn't bother me much. The only difference is that an aiming reticule appears once you start shooting (or press L1 to bring it up). It's a nice hybrid that works quite well for both sides.

Katzii

Ok, Single Player done. About 4 hours, less cutscenes than Q4B... A little disappointing on that front, but the gameplay is at least fun. Last 2 levels were pretty interesting. Game really likes making references to past Ratchet games, really feels like a closing out of the games on PS3. Makes me interested in a next gen ratchet though.

Were the tower defense elements in the single-player game?

8byte

Banned
Hmmm, this game seems interesting with my vita coming on wednesday. I'm hoping this is as good as the other ratchet games.

Vita version won't release until 2013 (January is the current target). Still, if you buy it on PS3 (either digital or retail) you get the Vita version for free. I'm sure there will be streams up so you can check the MP to see if you'd be interested or not.

Top Bottom