• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| The Skinemax of MOBAs

8byte

Banned
The movie teaser got me into Ratchet again. Just picked up the Crack in Time DualShock pack.

Beat the campaign for FFA on PS3, but hoping to do it again on Vita.

I'm hoping to do the same. Got back into MP yesterday, but couldn't find any matches :( Hoping that Vita release + New Content will boost the activity and hopefully get more people talking about this awesome MP title (because it is absolutely awesome).

Toppot

I'm hoping to do the same. Got back into MP yesterday, but couldn't find any matches :( Hoping that Vita release + New Content will boost the activity and hopefully get more people talking about this awesome MP title (because it is absolutely awesome).

I really doubt the multiplayer will get popular again. Most people have played the PS3 version by now and had their fun. Add to that that Vita doesn't have a larger base anyway, people will maybe play through again for fun or to get the trophies again. And new content is nice but unless someone actively follows the game, checks out the blog posts, see's that there PS3 downloaded a patch or Sony auto emails people with the game, then they aren't going to know there is new content.

I think it is so important that the PS4 should have a news feed of updates for games you own/play.

I have no idea what the stats are for active users, but I can't imagine that they justify the awesome continued support. Maybe one content release after the Vita version is out then drop support for it and focus efforts on whatever the NC studio are working on (PS4 Ratchet Movie Tie-in/prequel maybe)

8byte

Banned
I really doubt the multiplayer will get popular again. Most people have played the PS3 version by now and had their fun. Add to that that Vita doesn't have a larger base anyway, people will maybe play through again for fun or to get the trophies again. And new content is nice but unless someone actively follows the game, checks out the blog posts, see's that there PS3 downloaded a patch or Sony auto emails people with the game, then they aren't going to know there is new content.

I think it is so important that the PS4 should have a news feed of updates for games you own/play.

I have no idea what the stats are for active users, but I can't imagine that they justify the awesome continued support. Maybe one content release after the Vita version is out then drop support for it and focus efforts on whatever the NC studio are working on (PS4 Ratchet Movie Tie-in/prequel maybe)

I don't have any delusions that they'll continue support after this next patch, lol. It just sucks that so many people are so "elitist" that they won't play this awesome MOBA-esque game just because it doesn't have gritty guns, etc. Everyone always bitches about "brown" but here's this awesomely colorful game with great MP, and it's cheap...yet no one buys it. Absurd, honestly.

No online pass.
No day 1 DLC.
Tons of free support.

...I just don't get it.

Toppot

I don't have any delusions that they'll continue support after this next patch, lol. It just sucks that so many people are so "elitist" that they won't play this awesome MOBA-esque game just because it doesn't have gritty guns, etc. Everyone always bitches about "brown" but here's this awesomely colorful game with great MP, and it's cheap...yet no one buys it. Absurd, honestly.

No online pass.
No day 1 DLC.
Tons of free support.

...I just don't get it.

I think the game suffers from All4One being universally panned, as soon as they hear 'it's another spin off at a cheaper price' lots of people aren't interested. Wrongly I might add, it is back to more classic gameplay (Dunno if there was/is a demo?).

'Great multi-player' is definitely subjective, I am not a fan of it, though love the single player.

There was Day 1 DLC in the form of skins, though that isn't people problem, their problem is in meaningful playable DLC being day one. Skins as DLC at launch, that's fine.

The problem is that it is small and cheap and followed A4O, people unfortunately won't give it the time of day. A demo, F2P multiplayer, a sale, any good PR would help. The Vita delay on top just didn't help.

To play online there are things like Killzone 3, Uncharted 3 that are F2P, and uncharted is colourfull fun and not gritty. Right now God of War's multiplayer is tons of fun.

People want big single player R&C games, there is absolutely a need to mix it up and try new things as well but I can't blame people for trying them and not liking them.

R&C 3's online was great, not without flaws, but since then maybe only Size Matters online has been good.

No online pass, no meaningful DLC day 1, lots of support, those are all things people want, but they don't make someone buy a game, the game makes people buy it, all that stuff is gravy on top.

8byte

Banned
I think the game suffers from All4One being universally panned, as soon as they hear 'it's another spin off at a cheaper price' lots of people aren't interested. Wrongly I might add, it is back to more classic gameplay (Dunno if there was/is a demo?).

'Great multi-player' is definitely subjective, I am not a fan of it, though love the single player.

There was Day 1 DLC in the form of skins, though that isn't people problem, their problem is in meaningful playable DLC being day one. Skins as DLC at launch, that's fine.

The problem is that it is small and cheap and followed A4O, people unfortunately won't give it the time of day. A demo, F2P multiplayer, a sale, any good PR would help. The Vita delay on top just didn't help.

To play online there are things like Killzone 3, Uncharted 3 that are F2P, and uncharted is colourfull fun and not gritty. Right now God of War's multiplayer is tons of fun.

People want big single player R&C games, there is absolutely a need to mix it up and try new things as well but I can't blame people for trying them and not liking them.

R&C 3's online was great, not without flaws, but since then maybe only Size Matters online has been good.

No online pass, no meaningful DLC day 1, lots of support, those are all things people want, but they don't make someone buy a game, the game makes people buy it, all that stuff is gravy on top.

I dunno, I feel the MP is balanced, has tons of depth, and a lot of options for custom games. I think that constitutes "great", as far as standards are concerned. Maybe it's not something you prefer, but I don't think that lessens the achievement of the team with a significant MP product.

The game has a demo, which has free MP, and SP content.

I suppose I'm just burnt out on all the negativity around videogames anymore. No one is willing to give things a chance, or have fun. It's all first impressions and review scores anymore, which is really unfortunate. I feel like every gaming community out there, in some way, is jaded to the bone and very irritating to me.

Toppot

I dunno, I feel the MP is balanced, has tons of depth, and a lot of options for custom games. I think that constitutes "great", as far as standards are concerned. Maybe it's not something you prefer, but I don't think that lessens the achievement of the team with a significant MP product.

The game has a demo, which has free MP, and SP content.

I suppose I'm just burnt out on all the negativity around videogames anymore. No one is willing to give things a chance, or have fun. It's all first impressions and review scores anymore, which is really unfortunate. I feel like every gaming community out there, in some way, is jaded to the bone and very irritating to me.

I would agree with everything outside some balance issues and matchmaking. They built a robost MP mode with depth, options and strategy, I don't think anyone would disagree there.

As someone that considers themselves fairly up on Insomniac and ratchet games I didn't know there was a demo with all that. I would push that BIG when the Vita version comes out. If the game (demo) is 'good' then people will play the demo and buy the full version.

I think GAF is very much that way, GAF is quite elitist, GAF is an elite in itself, not just anyone can get an account whenever they want. I don't hang out enough places online to say whether or not the whole gaming demographic is they way, I doubt a 8 year old wanting to pick up FFA is too worried about review scores. A games success is so much more than first impressions or review scores.

Part of the problem is there is so much choice these days, people have vast Steam libraries that they either wont play or will barely play. With so much out there people want to make sure they spend their pleasure time playing the best games for them. People turn to reviews, first impressions, word of mouth, to help choose what they play and is considered worthy.

Review scores are part of that but they aren't the end all of things, an extreme example, but if the next CoD got terrible review scores it wouldn't sell any less, the name, legacy and marketing would make it sell, but the one after that, would get hit. All4One disappointed people and so the next game, FFA, had to suffer, A4O hurt the reputation.

As for first impressions, well, they are important, not just in games but for everything. If people give off a bad first impression then it take effort to change that impression. It's built into us as humans. It can go both ways to, the impression Brutal Legend gave off with its demo was wildly different to the game.

I think FFA's word of mouth is strong, almost everyone that has played it enjoyed it and will praise it.

FFA is a good game that deserves to be more popular than it is, no doubt, but I can see why it isn't as popular as it is.

At the end of the day the success of a game is how many people buy it and keep playing it, regardless of the games quality. For FFA you and other people can't find a game, and finding a game only requires 1 other player to be available. Someone buying the game today can play single player, then try and go online and find no one, that's a failure. The game might be commercially or critically successful but those of different aspects.

To say FFA is failing or not doing well is not the same as saying it is a bad game or Insomniac did a bad job. There are loads of external factors like the market, legacy, vita delay that would play into that.

I think it's important to look at the bigger picture and be balanced about it, you can't simply look at the game and say it was good and had good practises, it should've done well.

8byte

Banned
Had some excellent matches today, streamed my matches in HD for the first time. Surprisingly things were active today, didn't have to wait long periods of time between matches.

Toppot

I have no idea what to do once the other team gets warmonger. They can be a distance away and kill me with that thing.

You bend over and take it =/

Realistically, try and slow them down by freezing them using the cryoshot. Get them to follow you to a node you have with defences, that can help you kill them. Time your dodges with their fire rate. Have a Zurkon out helping you and the storm weapon.

It is an unbalanced weapon though IMO, its just so much better than the rest, it's not impossible to overcome, but it is hard.

This was what 8byte (Good player) had to say before on the problem:
As far as the Warmonger, while I do believe it is better than the PBL, it is simply because of the egregiousness of auto-aim applied to rounds to compensate for latency. It allows players to fire "straight" with a very good chance that the auto-aim will adjust and launch your rockets north to hit a player, should they be close enough. The only way to effectively neutralize the Warmonger is to create distance between the two of you, which unfortunately means wasting time not capturing nodes.

Even still, some decent planning and prediction can really help you defeat a Warmonger easily. Keep away from nodes they capture, and try to stay ahead. Jungle the bolt crates early on, build Warmonger Turrets and Extra build pads at your base (and sell the turrets that come with the upgrades for a profit). From there, you can build up proper defenses, and go jungle during the squad / assault phase (unless they rush your base). Beat down their nodes, and get very fast captures early in the next recon phase, giving you the upper hand.

Here's a good video to watch for some ideas on how higher level players attack nodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e--0p-L0cBE

8byte

Banned
I'm more than happy to run customs and discuss strats with people. You can also check out these channels for a bunch of tips:

www.youtube.com/thacon

www.twitch.tv/tha_con

For Warmonger now, use the Thindersmacks to create distance and simply run, or use PBL and Cryoshot combo. Warmonger + Somic Eruptor is suuuuper deadly and extremely difficult to beat. Especially at V2.

The Light

Just had an amazing game, but lost. Idk what I did wrong. I tried following the tips in that from those youtube links and was doing pretty well.( so I thought). I controlled most of the nodes the entire match, but I could not get through the mass amount of warmonger turrets inside his base. I never seen anything like this in my time of playing. I sent the whole house at this guy every assault phase yet he came out smelling like roses.

During the last assault phase i was frustrated and was thinking I'm going to end this now by sending 3 tanks and one demo. I think that did me in since I didn't have enough for 2nd barriers. (Figured I wouldn't need it) The tanks got in but was taken out quickly as was I by warmonger turrets and by the time i spawned my final generator was destroyed.

8byte

Banned
Cryoshot turrets are best for tanks. Also, send in upgraded bombers behind tanks to destroy turrets.

Always buy Groovitron mines, and make sure your first priority when an enemy gets in your base are the dopplebanger a and Thundersmacks.

8byte

Banned
Was cool watching you play today. Learn so many tactics watching you.

EDIT: incase people dont know

Vita version out next week.
New mode added to PS3
New skins
New Map
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/05/17/ratchet-clank-qforce-ps-vita-update-3/

Thanks! I try to talk to the chat as much as I can, but sometimes it gets a bit difficult to keep tabs on everything. I'll be streaming more FFA if you're interested in learning new bits about the MP, but I think I remembered you not liking it terribly much. Either way, thanks for checking it out!

8byte

Banned
Live stream with lead QA "Beast!".

www.twitch.tv/tha_con

Edit: Some really close games, learned some new shortcuts on the new map though, and realized that I'm absolutely terrible in this new mode. Man, FFA is super difficult if your team mate isn't great :( Wish there was a party option for FFA. Either way, it's still fun, and if you get someone who cooperates well enough, you can do decent with a mediocre opponent.

Also: Leadboards were changed, so people won't be sitting in the lobbies trying to play bad players anymore to improve their rank. They'll actually have to play matches and get on streaks, etc. Good news! Quitters are punished pretty heavily.

Camjo-Z

These bad impressions have made me not even bother downloading the Vita version yet, but the free copy of Ratchet: Deadlocked I got along with it is really good. Some weird issues with things clipping through each other in cutscenes but the actual gameplay is awesome (especially the mech section, which sadly did not last nearly as long as I wanted it to. Hopefully it reappears later!)

Toppot

Just had some time with the Vita version, played though the first level.

MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE 1.05 PATCH
Though it makes no big changes (Other than the new map etc) I found it seemed to improve the frame rate a bit.

I want to make it clear, this is NOT an awful port, it is also NOT a good port, it is an OKish port. I think Tin Giant did the best job possible in the time, even with the delays. Somebody way over promised when they said it could come out the same time as PS3, you can't port a 7th generation PS3 engine at the same time as the game is actually being made and have it look as good.

4/10 for the port.

There are quite a few downsides to the Vita version:
  • The characters are quite low resolution they look very flat
  • The whole game is lacking in lighting, reflections, effects and shadows which makes it look very flat overall, shadows in the game a 'baked in'
  • The Vitas analogues are very sensitive and aiming can be a pain, there is no option to reduce sensitivity. I can see Vita players getting slaughtered online.
  • The contrast of the game seems off, its very dark overall, with no brightness options, I suppose because all Vitas are the same compared to the variations you get between TV's
  • There is quite noticeable pop-in of objects and landscape.
  • A lot of barriers are white, rather than the red, orange, green etc that they should be.

Big Point
  • You character has no shadow, making some platforming very hard to judge. I'm fine with things having to be cut down in a port like this, effects down, textures down, sure. But when it affects gameplay that is not acceptable, at least give me some circular shadow below my character so I can see where I am going to land -_-

Please don't buy the Vita version, buy it on PS3 though. Vita version is not worth the free download. Takes up 2.7 GB + 300 MB patch on Sonys ridiculously priced memory cards. If you have a desperate need to play some R&C on the go I'd tell you to download the PSP game Size Matters to the Vita if you are in Europe or buy a PSP and Size Matters on UMD. It is a much better game.

Some screenshot comparisons (PS3 ones taken with phone camera and darkened slightly to compensate for lighting in room)

PS3
GvzueN1.jpg

PSV
vpK6rEB.jpg

Some other Vita screenshots

TimmiT

This certainly doesn't look like an "OKish port" to me, especially with a framerate that gets as low as what seems like 10fps.

EDIT: I have played it for myself now. Removing it because it is barely playable and the graphics almost make me want to puke.

Toppot

Holy crap. That almost looks worse than the PSP games.
Well it does have more detail and resolution than the PSP game, but the PSP game is at least consistent in it's look.

As I said, Size Matters is the better handheld game, and is in fact actually one of the best R&C games out there.

On PS3, FFA is a good game, I'm not a fan of the online but it's worth playing. Where as Size Matters on the PS2 is a lazy port. Runs fine but takes no advantage what so ever of being on PS2.

People should avoid the Vita version, this is not the R&C game the Vita deserves.

I really feel like we should be warning people on how bad this Vita port is. Its borderline unplayable. There is not a lot of discussion going on about it.

I can't believe this studio has been helping out on pretty much every most resistance 1 title w/ Insomniac and this is the port they produce. I know Insomniac didn't have their hands in this port, but i imagine they'd be quite upset with the state its released in.

Toppot

I really feel like we should be warning people on how bad this Vita port is. Its borderline unplayable. There is not a lot of discussion going on about it.

I can't believe this studio has been helping out on pretty much every most resistance 1 title w/ Insomniac and this is the port they produce. I know Insomniac didn't have their hands in this port, but i imagine they'd be quite upset with the state its released in.

People have been warned:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563261

Camjo-Z

The less people acknowledge that Ratchet Vita exists, the better. Not since Pac-Man on Atari have I seen such a shameful sight.

KalBalboa

Banned
It's a real shame. FFA is actually a really good game, and Ratchet would be right at home on Vita. FFA was MADE for portability.

8byte

Banned
Couldn't agree more. FFA is an excellent game, and would feel incredible on a portable if done right. Really unfortunate how poorly it was handled. I can't help but shoulder some of that blame on Sony, though. Since Insomniac doesn't control Ratchet & Clank (nor the engine / assets) Sony saw fit to take the engine (which was likely highly customized for PS3) and had it jammed onto Vita, which probably created some significant issues.

Unfortunate :(

It's a real shame. FFA is actually a really good game, and Ratchet would be right at home on Vita. FFA was MADE for portability.

the whole reason i picked it, having played the beta for ps3, thats the quality i expected (just a bit of a visual downgrade) not the travesty that was dumped on us.

8byte

Banned
played first mission, didn't like it. will give it one more try

Honestly the first mission is pretty easy. Just power through to the 3rd mission once it starts to get more challenging. Eventually (because of the patch) the game becomes far too easy, which sucks. Once you've upgraded all of your gear and got more weapons, it's more fun.

The MP is really where this game shines though, so incredibly fun. I'd still be up for customs if anyone wanted to play.

TimmiT

Wow, the writing in this game is making me worried for the movie. I turned my PS3 off when they
used the Trololo song.

Toppot

Wow, the writing in this game is making me worried for the movie. I turned my PS3 off when they
used the Trololo song.

The writing, humour and internet references make more sense later on in the game Minor spoiler
Villain

As for the movie I don't think you should worry. Its TJ Fixman same as all PS3 R&C games. He is now getting stuck in writing a couple of Hollywood films and been asked by Disney to rewrite a Gargoyles script.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-line-picks-up-action-584706

Globox_82

Banned
Okey, I finished it. I changed my mind. It is not crap but it is the weakest Ratchet I played this gen (didn't play All 4 one). Still a fun little game.

KalBalboa

Banned
After throwing FFA on last night for some co-op with my roomie, I wound up spending tonight getting the platinum trophy.

This game was a lot of fun, from top to bottom. It really evoked the MOBA basics (I always compared it to Future Cop LAPD). My only wish was for a better Vita version, but what can you do.

The Light

Decided to hop on this again after who knows how long.
I'm getting dominated by the pros. I'm used to using the strat of getting the lead in nodes while my opponent goes for #1, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Even tried using tips i've seen on youtube but still ends with me getting destroyed. I always end up having to go on the defensive and only able to keep two nodes.

8byte

Banned
Decided to hop on this again after who knows how long.
I'm getting dominated by the pros. I'm used to using the strat of getting the lead in nodes while my opponent goes for #1, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Even tried using tips i've seen on youtube but still ends with me getting destroyed. I always end up having to go on the defensive and only able to keep two nodes.

The game is EXTREMELY competitive. Despite people ragging on it, the Mp is extremely competitive, the community is just kinda small.

Weapon upgrade speed and choice is most important.

The Light

The game is EXTREMELY competitive. Despite people ragging on it, the Mp is extremely competitive, the community is just kinda small.

Weapon upgrade speed and choice is most important.

This is the problem I'm having. I really don't know what upgrades to go for. I really just try to upgrade the combuster, cryoshot, and doppelbanger.

8byte

Banned
This is the problem I'm having. I really don't know what upgrades to go for. I really just try to upgrade the combuster, cryoshot, and doppelbanger.

At my prime, I was a pretty good player, so here are some good pointers:

1) Use the shields on nodes to upgrade weapons extremely quickly. The final hit on a shield deals a TON of XP.

2) Upgrading the Combuster and Sonic Eruptor as fast as possible is important. The Combuster allows for really fast shield take downs (faster than anything else, but you have to be close) and the SE allows for extremely great damage on PvP (and stops them dead in their tracks when it hits).

3) Make sure you're not wasting any time during the squad phase. You have a LOT of time to go out and beat down the enemy nodes, so do that! It takes very little time to send troops, and you really don't have to do that until round 3 or 4 at the earliest. You're better off just upgrading to the bomb troops early on so they'll beat down enemy defenses and keep them occupied.

So I just finished the the single player for this and its not that bad. I was pissed when I first played it and had to go to generators to get weapons, but I got used to it. I thought it was going to be like all 4 one with weapons not upgrading and you having to upgrade them every level. Turns out its like regular ratchet and clank which is good. It's nice short campaign that was definitely worth the seven bucks I paid for it. Got all of the medals now and am just watching the credits.

I'd try multiplayer but it's pretty dead. Can't get a game going. :/

8byte

Banned
So I just finished the the single player for this and its not that bad. I was pissed when I first played it and had to go to generators to get weapons, but I got used to it. I thought it was going to be like all 4 one with weapons not upgrading and you having to upgrade them every level. Turns out its like regular ratchet and clank which is good. It's nice short campaign that was definitely worth the seven bucks I paid for it. Got all of the medals now and am just watching the credits.

I'd try multiplayer but it's pretty dead. Can't get a game going. :/

Custom games are pretty necessary for MP, unfortunately. It's a blast to play though.

Top Bottom