• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| The Skinemax of MOBAs

8byte

Banned
Thanks for the tips =]

No problem. Also, Cryoshot shot takes out turrets at nodes with 1 shot. Freeze then all, then drop a dopplebanger to distract brawlers for a quick capture. For shields at nodes, drop one dopplebanger, and 1 thunder smack, then burn it with the pyrolauncher. Super fast, having Zurkon out helps too.

KalBalboa

Banned
Went to throw my blu ray in tonight to find the disc was fractured somehow! Looks like I'm going to go digital on the game.

netguy503

Went to throw my blu ray in tonight to find the disc was fractured somehow! Looks like I'm going to go digital on the game.

When you go digital can you add Netguy503 please.

Can anyone help me in coop PLEASE. I'm down to the last two stages which are a pain to do alone. I have all the what I've heard are the "good weapons" up to level 3 (flame thrower, combuster, mr. zurkon), some to level 4 (groovitron), and the others very close to level 3. I just need someone's help on the last two stages and the dev times because someone I was playing the game all day yesterday for suddenly decided to flake on our session yesterday for really weird reasons. I would be VERY grateful and I will help you with anything you need too.

I'm in PST and my PSN ID is Netguy503. I have a headset as well. Please help me finish this game because, unlike most reviewers, I've actually had a BLAST playing this so far. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you GAF.

Toppot

Played some of the levels with netguy last night. Man they have made the game easier, enemies seem weaker and the level 5 weapons wipe the floor with the enemies. Can practically lay down my 6 dobblebangers on one side and they take care of pretty much anything that isn't a vehicle.

I thought Insomniac had finally managed to make a difficult game (I haven't played R3 on the higher difficulties so maybe they managed it there to) but they pussed out and made it easy =/

8byte

Banned
Played some of the levels with netguy last night. Man they have made the game easier, enemies seem weaker and the level 5 weapons wipe the floor with the enemies. Can practically lay down my 6 dobblebangers on one side and they take care of pretty much anything that isn't a vehicle.

I thought Insomniac had finally managed to make a difficult game (I haven't played R3 on the higher difficulties so maybe they managed it there to) but they pussed out and made it easy =/

R3 on Super Human + Fresh Weapons = GOTY 2011.

I'm really glad I managed to get 100% Completion on FFA solo PRIOR to the new patch.

That said, if people want the challenge I guess uninstalling Game data and avoiding the patch is possible. There aren't any difficulty settings because that requires more dev time, Q&A and and balance tweaks, unfortunately. Still, MP is where it's at!

Toppot

R3 on Super Human + Fresh Weapons = GOTY 2011.

I'm really glad I managed to get 100% Completion on FFA solo PRIOR to the new patch.

That said, if people want the challenge I guess uninstalling Game data and avoiding the patch is possible. There aren't any difficulty settings because that requires more dev time, Q&A and and balance tweaks, unfortunately. Still, MP is where it's at!

Maybe some day I'll get back round to R3 *Looks at massive games backlog* =/

I to am glad I did the important bits before they made it easy (Only need a couple of online trophies and Ironman).

That is a lot of effort to make the game hard again =P I understand they can't put in difficulties at this late stage. Given how unpopular the game seems to be, even online, I don't think they can justify/afford to show much more support outside of skins and balancing after we get the Metropolis level and the vita version.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Maybe some day I'll get back round to R3 *Looks at massive games backlog* =/

I to am glad I did the important bits before they made it easy (Only need a couple of online trophies and Ironman).

That is a lot of effort to make the game hard again =P I understand they can't put in difficulties at this late stage. Given how unpopular the game seems to be, even online, I don't think they can justify/afford to show much more support outside of skins and balancing after we get the Metropolis level and the vita version.

more coming besides Metropolis. We'll keep building and supporting through the Vita launch at least.

and the difficulty was unwieldy, especially on level four... between that and the weapon levels, maybe the pendulum swung too far in the other direction. tough to say

Toppot

more coming besides Metropolis. We'll keep building and supporting through the Vita launch at least.

and the difficulty was unwieldy, especially on level four... between that and the weapon levels, maybe the pendulum swung too far in the other direction. tough to say

Glad to hear it =] Always appreciate you doing a great job of being a CM and posting on GAF, twitter etc.

Level 4 was difficult, playing on my own it was the only level I actually failed on the first attempt. But that was so good! I loved the fact I couldn't just walk through it, I had to think of a strategy. I think the game is more balanced now for new comers, but I think for veterans of the series (Especially with levelled up weapons) I'd say it is too easy now. Still fun to play though =]

I wouldn't change it back or change it again though, I think for a majority of players it's fine. Vets like myself can play the multiplayer to get more challenge out of the game.

Toppot

I saw the cover and it says Cross-Buy. But then I thought the Vita version isn't out yet? So how does that work if it doesn't have codes to get it in the future?

Like this

gd70H.jpg

8byte

Banned

Really excited to hear all this!

Level 4 definitely had some tuning issues. I think some folks knew that coming out if the gate. Beast! taunted me when I played it and promised I'd fail it the first time. He was right!

Toppot

I think I must REALLY suck at the online xD Played a 1 vs 1, and after I think 2 nodes the guy comes at me with a war monger and wipes the floor with me, I stood no change of coming back. He just got stronger and I had no way of fighting back. First round I just used the panic button, 2nd round I barely survived, 3rd round I had no hope. A fecking war monger, 2 shots and I'm dead.

He was a low rank compared to me, but I'm only a high rank because of my single player efforts. I'm gonna have to play loads of games of getting my ass kicked to get someone on the same skill level as me. Fun =/.

EDIT: I'm sorry but the online is bullshit. Played a few more games with different and people teams and it is literally 'Who ever gets node 1 and the warmonger first wins'. If the other team get it you might as well put down the controller and do something else for a few minutes.

EDIT 2: Such an advantage. Anyway, got the platnium now, don't think I'll be playing the game again except to help people get trophies/skillpoints/medals.

8byte

Banned
I think I must REALLY suck at the online xD Played a 1 vs 1, and after I think 2 nodes the guy comes at me with a war monger and wipes the floor with me, I stood no change of coming back. He just got stronger and I had no way of fighting back. First round I just used the panic button, 2nd round I barely survived, 3rd round I had no hope. A fecking war monger, 2 shots and I'm dead.

He was a low rank compared to me, but I'm only a high rank because of my single player efforts. I'm gonna have to play loads of games of getting my ass kicked to get someone on the same skill level as me. Fun =/.

EDIT: I'm sorry but the online is bullshit. Played a few more games with different and people teams and it is literally 'Who ever gets node 1 and the warmonger first wins'. If the other team get it you might as well put down the controller and do something else for a few minutes.

EDIT 2: Such an advantage. Anyway, got the platnium now, don't think I'll be playing the game again except to help people get trophies/skillpoints/medals.

The Warmonger is a beast, indeed, but you can definitely win the matches. I don't think you've played enough to call it bullshit (not by a long shot :p).

The trick to winning is using all of your weapons effectively to quickly take down nodes and capture them (and control them). I've played almost 200 matches now, and I can confidently say that the Warmonger only wins PvP matches, but even then the player has to know how to exploit the heavy auto-aim it has.

Toppot

The Warmonger is a beast, indeed, but you can definitely win the matches. I don't think you've played enough to call it bullshit (not by a long shot :p).

The trick to winning is using all of your weapons effectively to quickly take down nodes and capture them (and control them). I've played almost 200 matches now, and I can confidently say that the Warmonger only wins PvP matches, but even then the player has to know how to exploit the heavy auto-aim it has.

If I played it more I might have a better more valid opinion yes =P I did win one where the other team had the warmonger, but I swear one of the team just sat at base half way into the match allowing my team to win. I think it is indeed a beast and just gives that team such an early advantage. It's definitely better than the plasmabomb.

Doesn't matter how good you are at taken down nodes when some bugger can charge boot behind you and bang bang, dead. I think the small player pool online makes it worse, there's not enough people on to match people up equally. I played about 10 games tonight and it was never a even fight, one team was always much better than the other.

I don't mind that it puts me off, I have plenty of games to play, but I think it's going to discourage a lot of people that pick up the game as well, so you won't ever get the player pool necessary to have balanced matches. And though I may not be a fan of the online I'd like it to do well for Insomniac and people that do play it.

I look forward to Fuse with it's co-op modes, so much better than PvP in my opinion.

8byte

Banned
If I played it more I might have a better more valid opinion yes =P I did win one where the other team had the warmonger, but I swear one of the team just sat at base half way into the match allowing my team to win. I think it is indeed a beast and just gives that team such an early advantage. It's definitely better than the plasmabomb.

Doesn't matter how good you are at taken down nodes when some bugger can charge boot behind you and bang bang, dead. I think the small player pool online makes it worse, there's not enough people on to match people up equally. I played about 10 games tonight and it was never a even fight, one team was always much better than the other.

I don't mind that it puts me off, I have plenty of games to play, but I think it's going to discourage a lot of people that pick up the game as well, so you won't ever get the player pool necessary to have balanced matches. And though I may not be a fan of the online I'd like it to do well for Insomniac and people that do play it.

I look forward to Fuse with it's co-op modes, so much better than PvP in my opinion.

IMO 2v2 is a really bad way to gauge the game in public matches. You usually end up with someone who is far worse than you are (or they are far better than you are). Sharing a bolt pool means you lose bolts anytime they die (or anytime they get a kill) so it's a tough thing with randoms. I think it's the better of the two modes, but only when played with a good team mate willing to communicate and cooperate. Outside of that, it isn't very good.

1v1, however, is a better gauge for balance and how the game works.

As far as the Warmonger, while I do believe it is better than the PBL, it is simply because of the egregiousness of auto-aim applied to rounds to compensate for latency. It allows players to fire "straight" with a very good chance that the auto-aim will adjust and launch your rockets north to hit a player, should they be close enough. The only way to effectively neutralize the Warmonger is to create distance between the two of you, which unfortunately means wasting time not capturing nodes.

Even still, some decent planning and prediction can really help you defeat a Warmonger easily. Keep away from nodes they capture, and try to stay ahead. Jungle the bolt crates early on, build Warmonger Turrets and Extra build pads at your base (and sell the turrets that come with the upgrades for a profit). From there, you can build up proper defenses, and go jungle during the squad / assault phase (unless they rush your base). Beat down their nodes, and get very fast captures early in the next recon phase, giving you the upper hand.

Here's a good video to watch for some ideas on how higher level players attack nodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e--0p-L0cBE

Toppot

IMO 2v2 is a really bad way to gauge the game in public matches. You usually end up with someone who is far worse than you are (or they are far better than you are). Sharing a bolt pool means you lose bolts anytime they die (or anytime they get a kill) so it's a tough thing with randoms. I think it's the better of the two modes, but only when played with a good team mate willing to communicate and cooperate. Outside of that, it isn't very good.

1v1, however, is a better gauge for balance and how the game works.

As far as the Warmonger, while I do believe it is better than the PBL, it is simply because of the egregiousness of auto-aim applied to rounds to compensate for latency. It allows players to fire "straight" with a very good chance that the auto-aim will adjust and launch your rockets north to hit a player, should they be close enough. The only way to effectively neutralize the Warmonger is to create distance between the two of you, which unfortunately means wasting time not capturing nodes.

Even still, some decent planning and prediction can really help you defeat a Warmonger easily. Keep away from nodes they capture, and try to stay ahead. Jungle the bolt crates early on, build Warmonger Turrets and Extra build pads at your base (and sell the turrets that come with the upgrades for a profit). From there, you can build up proper defenses, and go jungle during the squad / assault phase (unless they rush your base). Beat down their nodes, and get very fast captures early in the next recon phase, giving you the upper hand.

Here's a good video to watch for some ideas on how higher level players attack nodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e--0p-L0cBE

I'd agree 2 vs 2 random isn't very good, that is mostly what I have played though. I should probably try more 1vs1's if I get back on the game.

Warmonger needs changing IMO, as you described it is too powerful with the power of the autoaim/lockon.

Thanks for the video. I watched it and that is largely how I play, I do however need to start using the cryogun against nodes, and I had no idea I could buy base/troop upgrades at base xD

8byte

Banned
Yea, Warmonger is a problem. Either the damage and rate of fire need to be tuned to match the PBL, or the auto-aim for both power weapons needs to be completely disabled.

I'd prefer the second option.

8byte

Banned
Notes on the rating bug that was introduced with the recent patch:

Rating Reset Fix and Workaround
Hey guys,

We are working to get a patch out soon that should help fix the rating issue that was introduced in patch 1.02 where your rating is reset. Until the patch gets out we wanted to let you know what we believe is the cause and a potential workaround in the meantime.

There are two situations where your rating is reset.

1) If your rating goes above 500 or below 10 it will reset you to 250 and then calculate your score.
2) If there is an 8th unique player ID in a session it will overwrite your rating with 0 which will reset it to 250.

The second situation is a little harder to explain, but I will try . Basically a session is from the time you boot the game to turning it off. So if you play with 8 DIFFERENT people in one session you will be reset. This includes being in the lobby. So if you play 2 or 3 games in matchmaking with different people you are more than likely going to be reset.

Workaround: There is NO workaround for case #1. We apologize for that. For case #2 the workaround we suggest is to quit to the XMB after each 2v2 match. If you are playing 1v1, you can probably go a couple matches without quitting but you don't want to hit the magic number 8. If you are just playing with the same friends over and over, it should not reset you. If you are worried always err on the side of caution and quit out after each match.

Again we apologize for this issue and are looking into a way to make it up to everyone. It IS important to note, however, that the rating is used for matchmaking. It is intended to make it so you play with people with the same skill/experience. It is not intended to be your "score" or ranking.

Thanks! Let us know if you have additional questions.
Tim Salvitti - Internet Enthusiast - Insomniac Games

This should clear up competition among ratings and help pair you up with people on your level.

8byte

Banned
Triple post :(:(

Patch 1.03 is live, new FREE map also coming this month. Really hope you all jump back in or pick it up. Support has been amazing so far, and the community is getting better.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Patch 1.03 is live, new FREE map also coming this month. Really hope you all jump back in or pick it up. Support has been amazing so far, and the community is getting better.

we'll live stream the Metropolis map next week I think

KalBalboa

Banned

I'm definitely going to be back online this weekend.

8byte

Banned
we'll live stream the Metropolis map next week I think

Sounds awesome, can't wait!

I've been editing together a "how-to" break down of Ebaro, best routes and tricks. Will do one for Metropolis as well. Can't wait for that and the Vita release to bring in some fresh blood!

Cesar

Banned
Just tried the demo. Man, the bad AA really sticks out like a sore thumb. Framerate isn't too hot either. Also the animation has a downgrade compared to previous R&C's. It just doesn't feel as fun to control Ratchet as it used to be. After ACIT the series took a dive in quality. I used to be a big fan but I'm not feeling this anymore.

8byte

Banned
Just tried the demo. Man, the bad AA really sticks out like a sore thumb. Framerate isn't too hot either. Also the animation has a downgrade compared to previous R&C's. It just doesn't feel as fun to control Ratchet as it used to be. After ACIT the series took a dive in quality. I used to be a big fan but I'm not feeling this anymore.

It's unfortunate you place such heavy stock on the aesthetics, as the game itself is a blast, especially the MP.

Saw this GIF, so many tanks!

Lots_of_Tanks_1.gif

8byte

Banned
Yesterday Insomniac live streamed their new FREE map for Full Frontal Assault, you can catch info and the re-broadcast Here.

Also, here's two good videos for two of the maps in Ratchet & Clank FFA. They go over node capture orders, how to use weapons effectively, and some clever traversal stuff. Good watch if you're into the MP.

Korgon Refinery
Grummelnet Plasma Harvester

Toppot

Any news on the Vita version? Is is still coming out next week?

No new news that I'm aware of, should be coming out next week unless there is another delay. It's only available digitally anyway so it can go live up to the last minute.

8byte

Banned
Any news on the Vita version? Is is still coming out next week?

Honestly, I wouldn't expect it to release next week. I haven't heard anything of it being done yet, and knowing Sony, even if it did finish today, there's no promise they'll get it through Q&A and on the PS Store in time for next week.

There is a good chance, however, that the new map and new skins will be released next week. Insomniac is also looking at the possibility of doing a tournament for this game, and is looking for community feedback: Look here for details (or to make suggestions). No idea if this will happen or not, but they are asking for input. May as well give it a shot!

Toppot

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The PSN Store is kind of covered in deals right now, anyway. Hell, you can get Ratchet 1 HD for under $4. It's probably best to wait two weeks.

eh, the game is something you're supposed to get if you've bought the PS3 version. I know Sony and Tin Giant are working hard to get it out as soon as possible. Don't have any update beyond that though

KalBalboa

Banned
eh, the game is something you're supposed to get if you've bought the PS3 version. I know Sony and Tin Giant are working hard to get it out as soon as possible. Don't have any update beyond that though

True. My room mate has been hogging the living room lately so that Vita version can't come soon enough.

Top Bottom