• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus |OT| Wanna know why they call it RYNOplasty?

Pretty solid, Deadlocked is probably great tier. Extremely solid gameplay, its just missing out on clank acting as parachute. Its platforming is more combat oriented. I'd bump RC1 and Tools into great though.

Yeah, I have been meaning to get to Deadlocked. I think the original was a case of not playing it when it first came out. I got into the series with Tools of Destruction, and the first game is a bit rough around the edges, but I could still appreciate the creative ideas... They just weren't applied as well as they could have been. So it was great to see how well executed everything was in Going Commando though, and in just one year!

Randam

beat it last night.

i liked it.
didnt feel that short either.
maybe because i started on legend right away and got 100% in every level.

they had some cool ideas. even if copied from VVVVV.

and the Netherblades were the best weapon.
and the zurkon family. ^^

edit: the R&C museum was pretty cool

Elvick

Banned
Since everyone's doing it...

1. A Crack in Time
2. Up Your Arsenal
3. Tools of Destruction
4. Going Commando
5. Into the Nexus
6. Deadlocked
7. Ratchet and Clank
8. Quest For Booty (would be higher if it had Challenge Mode)
9. All 4 One (underrated, overhated, super fun game. Though glitchy at launch)
10. Secret Agent Clank
11. Size Matters
12. Full Frontal Assault (it's okay and I think gets too much hate, but I just didn't find it that fun)

Now, I haven't played SAC or Size Matters in a really long time. But I remember liking SAC more than Size Matters. I wonder if they're on the Vita's PSN...

A Crack In Time, with it's weak bullets and rockets that fly around haphazardly and rarely, if ever, hit anything. Tbh, the weapons in ACiT were kind of lackluster as a whole and was probably the one low point in an otherwise great game.
That's the one! xD Weird I couldn't remember, but I did run through R&C 1-3, Deadlocked, and the entire Future trilogy this year. So... :p How I love R&C <3

I liked the Rift Inducer 5000 in ACiT. I think the only really 'low' quality thing about later R&C games is the weapons. The ideas for them have become re-used a lot. How many 'transform into something else' weapons are there now? I mean, it's neat to change things into ducks (and later flaming ducks of death), or snowmen... but it's in reality the same weapon.

I don't really mind though. Still fun, but they should always get the Ryno right. It's just not very R&C for the Ryno to suck.

Wasp

1. Going Commando
2. Ratchet & Clank
3. Tools of Destruction
4. A Crack in Time
5. Up Your Arsenal
6. All 4 One
7. Deadlocked
8. Quest For Booty

noah111

Still Alive
If Up Your Arsenal isn't in your top 3, you have no soul.

I loved the replay system (was on R70something iirc), and collecting the crystals in the sewers (collected them all, several times). The ship being your 'home' really had an impact on the mood of the game. Was nice to always have somewhere familiar to go back to and kick back.

Elvick

Banned

I loved the replay system (was on R70something iirc), and collecting the crystals in the sewers (collected them all, several times). The ship being your 'home' really had an impact on the mood of the game. Was nice to always have somewhere familiar to go back to and kick back.
Still waiting for a standalone PSN game built around the Qwark Vidcomic.

I would buy that so hard.

televator

Platinum'd! Oh man, this game certainly hit the spot! It's really good and the extra life that the characters have in the in game animations I think was well worth the 60fps trade off.

Wasp

UYA is a fantastic game, but there's zero doubt in my mind that Going Commando is the better game.

For starters, one thing I was slightly disappointed in UYA is the lack of original weapon ideas. Almost all of them were returns from the two previous games.

Agents of Doom - already in R&C
Annihilator - already in R&C
Bouncer - already in GC
Disc Blade Gun - already in GC
Flux Rifle - already in GC
Holoshield Glove - new weapon
Infector - new weapon
Lava Gun - already in GC
N60 Storm - already in R&C
Miniturret Glove - already in GC
Nitro Launcher - already in R&C
Plasma Coil - already in GC
Plasma Whip - new weapon
Qwack-O-Ray - already in R&C
Rift Inducer - new weapon
Shield Charger - already in GC
Shock Blaster - already in GC
Spitting Hydra - new weapon
Suck Cannon - already in R&C
RY3NO - already in R&C

So that's just five new weapons, two of which weren't even very good (Holoshield and Infector).

Having to return to the Starship Phoenix to watch a cutscene after every mission got pretty tiresome. Also collecting Moonstones and Desert Crystals in GC's massive free-roaming levels was much more fun than getting Sewer Crystals in that underground maze. I missed GC's spaceship missions too.

I played GC and UYA back to back this summer and my opinion that GC is undoubtedly superior only strengthened.

televator

I'm kinda wishing this were at least a cross platform PS3/4 game. I think it would have been a better launch title than Knack ruining @ 1080p 60fps w/ uncompressed cut scenes. I guess they probably would have had to delay it though and it would have missed launch day anyway.

mishakoz

UYA is a fantastic game, but there's zero doubt in my mind that Going Commando is the better game.

For starters, one thing I was slightly disappointed in UYA is the lack of original weapon ideas. Almost all of them were returns from the two previous games.

Bouncer - already in GC
Infector - new weapon
Lava Gun - already in GC
Plasma Whip - new weapon
RY3NO - already in R&C

So that's just five new weapons, two of which weren't even very good (Holoshield and Infector).

Having to return to the Starship Phoenix to watch a cutscene after every mission got pretty tiresome. Also collecting Moonstones and Desert Crystals in GC's massive free-roaming levels was much more fun than getting Sewer Crystals in that underground maze. I missed GC's spaceship missions too.

I played GC and UYA back to back this summer and my opinion that GC is undoubtedly superior only strengthened.

Yeah, but they did more with the gun upgrades. The volcano gun turned into the liquid nitrogen variety instead of the meteor thing, the agents of doom could fly and shoot, miniturret glove could shoot rockets, etc.

Also rift inducer is one of the best guns in the series. Drag them to oblivion.

For the record

1. UYA and CiT
Fuck me, I can't decided between these two. Probably UYA, it's more solid and consistent, CiT had that space overworld I wasn't a fan of, the annoying alien races, and the worst arena mode of the series, but dem clank sections and the story were great.

3. GC
First of the evolving formula, really hit it all out of the park

4. ToD
This game was such a cakewalk going though it, but it twas true and gorgeous, and the birth of some awesome weapons which would then be overused in the remainder of the PS3 games

5. Deadlocked
Love this game, play co-op all the time and have a fucking blast.

6. Original
Its good, suffers from first game syndrome

7. Into the Nexus
Its short but solid, more importantly its a return to form after such a sharp departure

8. Quest for booty
Short, solid, funny, great lightdark stuff

9. Size matters
10. Secret Agent Clank
11. Those games that shall not be mentioned.

Great game. I loved the new gameplay elements (Clank dimensions, jetpack), though the game isn't really long enough to utilize them enough to make them as substantial as they could be. Still, every moment of this game is fun, it's worth every cent.

It's also so good looking, this game hasn't been getting enough credit for that. It's gorgeous. When the camera pulls out to the panoramic views of the planet you just landed on, that shit is suitable for framing. And there's shitloads of detail in the environments and objects. The framerate loss doesn't bug me as much as it did at first.

televator

That's it right there. While I'm sure there were some fans that also liked TD games that bought FFA, you can't expect most of that fan base to carry over from platformers simply because of the characters. In fact you alienate people... and that makes them kinda angry.

8byte

Banned
That's it right there. While I'm sure there were some fans that also liked TD games that bought FFA, you can't expect most of that fan base to carry over from platformers simply because of the characters. In fact you alienate people... and that makes them kinda angry.

Because most of us Ratchet fans aren't looking for tower defense.

Except it wasn't just TD, it was more or less the arena sections expanded with some TD elements tossed in (by the way of lanes and base defenses). Light exploration and platforming was still there, as were weapon upgrades, unlocks, and other things to keep fans busy (great game to speed run).

Still, the best part of the game was in the Multi-Player, which to this day is still one of the most intense MP experiences available, far better than what UYA or DL offered. Amazingly fun and replayable, and a shame so few gave it a shot because it wasn't "traditional".

I just feel like most people are unjustly judgmental towards it.

injurai

Banned
Except it wasn't just TD, it was more or less the arena sections expanded with some TD elements tossed in (by the way of lanes and base defenses). Light exploration and platforming was still there, as were weapon upgrades, unlocks, and other things to keep fans busy (great game to speed run).

Still, the best part of the game was in the Multi-Player, which to this day is still one of the most intense MP experiences available, far better than what UYA or DL offered. Amazingly fun and replayable, and a shame so few gave it a shot because it wasn't "traditional".

People have opinions and tastes. It also hurts to see dev-time and IP Mindshare wasted on peripheral entries in a series that does nothing but water down that tradition of stellar, polished experiences.

Glad you liked it, but it's not hard to understand some fans animosity towards it.

noah111

Still Alive

Bouncer - already in GC
Infector - new weapon
Lava Gun - already in GC
Plasma Whip - new weapon
RY3NO - already in R&C

All is forgiven for the awesomeness of the plasma whip.

Ok but really, I see your point. That said, I still think UYA is a better game with better weapons even if that means less new ones. The upgrade system worked great, and I have a recollection of the weapons just feeling better for some reason.

That said I haven't played GC in a while, though I do have fond memories.

1. UYA and CiT
Fuck me, I can't decided between these two. Probably UYA, it's more solid and consistent, CiT had that space overworld I wasn't a fan of, the annoying alien races, and the worst arena mode of the series, but dem clank sections and the story were great.

3. GC
First of the evolving formula, really hit it all out of the park

4. ToD
This game was such a cakewalk going though it, but it twas true and gorgeous, and the birth of some awesome weapons which would then be overused in the remainder of the PS3 games

5. Deadlocked
Love this game, play co-op all the time and have a fucking blast.

6. Original
Its good, suffers from first game syndrome

7. Into the Nexus
Its short but solid, more importantly its a return to form after such a sharp departure

8. Quest for booty
Short, solid, funny, great lightdark stuff

9. Size matters
10. Secret Agent Clank
11. Those games that shall not be mentioned.
This feels accurate.

8byte

Banned
People have opinions and tastes. It also hurts to see dev-time and IP Mindshare wasted on peripheral entries in a series that does nothing but water down that tradition of stellar, polished experiences.

Glad you liked it, but it's not hard to understand some fans animosity towards it.

Thing is, fans asked for MP year after year, release after release. Insomniac gave them MP, at an extremely generous price with lots of free content...and they shat all over it like whining children. It was embarrassing to see.

Also: ITN is $15 on Amazon. Buy it if you haven't, that's HALF of the asking price.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
FFA was a lot of fun from the little I've played of it.

Personally, Ratchet & Clank is a franchise that can't seem to win.

At first it was, "Wah, wah, the formula is getting old, we want something new from Ratchet & Clank!"

Insomniac was like, "Ok, here's something different, 'All 4 One,' and 'Full Frontal Assault!'"

And fans were like, "Wah, wah, I miss teh tranditional Ratchet & Clank, not this experimental bullshit!"

Insomniac was like, "Ok, here's 'Into The Nexus,' which is more like the standard Ratchet & Clank!"

And fans were like, "Wah, wah, it's too safe! It's not breaking any new ground!"

Insomniac was like, "...Fuck this. We're making Sunset Overdrive for the Xbox ONE. Maybe Xbox fans won't bitch so fucking much..."

I think All 4 One and FFA are underappreciated, and I fricking LOVE traditional R&C, with Up Your Arsenal and A Crack in Time being my favorites. Even though I'm not madly in love with A4O and FFA, I can appreciate Insomniac at least trying to expand on the R&C formula. But I'm glad Into the Nexus is more traditional. Really enjoying it so far. The thing is, I don't think Insomniac has ever made a game that I didn't think wasn't fun. From Resistance 1, 2, and 3, to A4O and FFA, Insomniac makes fun games. I only played the demo of FUSE, so I can't speak to that one, but their track record is pretty rock solid overall.

At first it was, "Wah, wah, the formula is getting old, we want something new from Ratchet & Clank!"

Insomniac was like, "Ok, here's something different, 'All 4 One,' and 'Full Frontal Assault!'"

And fans were like, "Wah, wah, I miss teh tranditional Ratchet & Clank, not this experimental bullshit!"

Insomniac was like, "Ok, here's 'Into The Nexus,' which is more like the standard Ratchet & Clank!"

And fans were like, "Wah, wah, it's too safe! It's not breaking any new ground!"

Insomniac was like, "...Fuck this. We're making Sunset Overdrive for the Xbox ONE. Maybe Xbox fans won't bitch so fucking much..."

I think All 4 One and FFA are underappreciated, and I fricking LOVE traditional R&C, with Up Your Arsenal and A Crack in Time being my favorites. Even though I'm not madly in love with A4O and FFA, I can appreciate Insomniac at least trying to expand on the R&C formula. But I'm glad Into the Nexus is more traditional. Really enjoying it so far. The thing is, I don't think Insomniac has ever made a game that I didn't think wasn't fun. From Resistance 1, 2, and 3, to A4O and FFA, Insomniac makes fun games. I only played the demo of FUSE, so I can't speak to that one, but their track record is pretty rock solid overall.

My only problem with the series are these short games. I don't want 1/4 a game (Q4B) or 1/2 a game (ITN). One of the most important things about the series is the sense of progression... The upgrading, growing stronger. It simply is not satisfying in these bite sized adventures. I don't mind them experimenting with the franchise. I loved All 4 One. but I like my R&C to be a meaty experience.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My only problem with the series are these short games. I don't want 1/4 a game (Q4B) or 1/2 a game (ITN). One of the most important things about the series is the sense of progression... The upgrading, growing stronger. It simply is not satisfying in these bite sized adventures. I don't mind them experimenting with the franchise. I loved All 4 One. but I like my R&C to be a meaty experience.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I'm dying for another R&C as long and deep as UYA and ACiT. I think we'll get that when the PS4 R&C title comes out. Which I'm sure will be in time for the movie release.

Bite sized Ratchet is better than no Ratchet, but I'm with you. I'm glad Into the Nexus is a cap on the Future story arc. I can't wait to see what's next.

grumble

I'm only 30 minutes in, but this feels really, really rough visually compared to previous games. Does it improve?

Depends; it's probably the prettiest of the games in terms of animations and all, but it's only 30fps. You might be feeling the framerate drop?

elfinke

Grabbed this last week, $29 on the Aust PSN ($10 cheaper than it was in the local shops).

Loved it - the Winterizer is a boss-killing beast! No Qwark made for a weird experience, and I don't think this is Clank's finest outing on a console (given how terrific his puzzles/sections in Crack in Time are), but nonetheless, this was a $30 very well spent.

It was the perfect length, I was able to complete it in a leisurely day and evening in between other things. Unless a game has something really important to say or show, it needs to get the fuck on with it (I'm looking at you recent example #1, Dragon's Dogma. Also, every racing game of the last generation that gate cars and courses behind ridiculous obstacles and progression systems).

Nexus gets the fuck on with it and it is to its benefit.

The 30fps occasionally is a bit of an eye sore, however I booted up Booty afterwards and there is a definite decrease in overall visual fidelity to achieve that games 60fps. Given there aren't any precise movements needed in Nexus (though there is a certain amount of input lag that is inherent to 30fps which can be a bummer), I think they got it right at 30fps.

I've said it before, but if a new R&C were announced for the PS4 today, I'd be pre-ordering a PS4 tomorrow.

Thanks, Insomniac.

8byte

Banned

Rock and a hard place. When they pumped out ACiT, the best in the series, IMO, they were going through declining sales. This was the compromise with Sony to keep the franchise going (since it had to be budget friendly to make a profit) and ultimately fans treated the new entries like shit.

That said, these titles are likely far, far cheaper to produce, and are probably profitable much earlier in their life, so we'll probably see more like this, unless the series gets some serious "oomph". You want a long one? Let Sony know and buy ITN. Otherwise, you can't really complain, because you're reinforcing the idea that R&C is a tired franchise ready for retirement.

injurai

Banned
Rock and a hard place. When they pumped out ACiT, the best in the series, IMO, they were going through declining sales. This was the compromise with Sony to keep the franchise going (since it had to be budget friendly to make a profit) and ultimately fans treated the new entries like shit.

That said, these titles are likely far, far cheaper to produce, and are probably profitable much earlier in their life, so we'll probably see more like this, unless the series gets some serious "oomph". You want a long one? Let Sony know and buy ITN. Otherwise, you can't really complain, because you're reinforcing the idea that R&C is a tired franchise ready for retirement.

If they are forced to do these smaller titles then I would prefer episodic content with transferring saves. I think the R&C franchise is strong and thus served as a good foundation for exploring new gameplay mediums like A4O and FFA. I don't believe those however were compromises to keep the franchise going.

Q4B and ITN do represent more efficient development solutions to the shrinking fan base. Q4B seemed more of a interim project while Insomniac juggled two franchises, and ITN seems more of a last hurrah consideration towards Ratchet and Clank fans at the end of the generation. Sony's funds are divided between Vita/PS4/Final Lap PS3, and I think it was there to give players something.

But the fact that they have a Movie in the works, and just released a tradition game tells me that profitability is not the man concern of the franchise. I think it more has to due with Sony's resources and competing with their other first party titles. The window wasn't open for a full R&C game. Surely we will see another full length one on the PS4, probably relating to the movie.

You want a long one? Let Sony know and buy ITN. Otherwise, you can't really complain, because you're reinforcing the idea that R&C is a tired franchise ready for retirement.

Sorry, but no. I let Sony know which ones I want by buying the kind of game I want. I've bought Ratchet 1, GC, UYA, TOD, ACIT, A41, SM, SAC, and the R&C collection. Deadlocked is on my to buy list as well. I've more than supported the series and the direction I want to see it go.

Skidd

Thing is, fans asked for MP year after year, release after release. Insomniac gave them MP, at an extremely generous price with lots of free content...and they shat all over it like whining children. It was embarrassing to see.
To be fair, I think they were hoping for UYA MP 2.0 and not a MOBA. (Before they realized what it was)

It was a lot of fun, but you can't blame folks for maybe being slightly dissappointed with Insomniac's decision. UYA Multi was ridiculous amounts of fun and even the idea of a improved revision of that makes me light-headed.

Wrench-O-Rama. How the fuck do I do this on Challenge Mode. Even knocking the thugs into the lava isn't fast enough.

nevermind, got it. Fuck that mission

Fireflu

Just completed my first playthrough, o boy does this franchise NEED the 60fps smoothness of the previous titles (Crack in Time, Tools of Destruction, etc). For me the whole inconsistent 30fps stuff really hindered my overall enjoyment. I should also say iv'e only played the mainline games (so everything but All 4 One and Q Force)

I don't think every single game absolutely needs 60fps or anything but the Ratchet & Clank franchise is definitely one that needs it for sure. It always matched the hectic run and gun fluid gameplay and as a result it felt like such an alien experience (and not in the good way!) playing at 30fps... sluggish, choppy and less polished as a result.

I know i'm probably in the overwhelming minority here and probably come across as fussy over such an issue but man it really felt off to me. I'd gladly take less dazzle and flair for a buttery smooth 60fps :/

I still haven't started this (haven't even booted up Tearaway yet either), I'm so embarrassed and ashamed of myself as I was really, really hyped for it but then next gen got in the way...

Hopefully I'll be able to start it this weekend.

Burbeting

Banned

To me the multiplayer was so buggy it was almost unplayable :(. In many occasions my character just stopped working in a beginning of the phase where you had to buy attackers/defences. The controller simply stopped responding, and I couldn't do anything but watch when my base got destroyed. Same happened in reverse too: I went to fight the oppositions base just to find out the player frozen in place.

The Multi wasn't horrible per se, but those problems were too frequent to make it enjoyable.

When you have a popular, long-running series, people have very high expectations and there will always be group who aren't happy with the direction you took. Especially a franchise like this, where it shaped a lot people's taste in games as they grew up with it.

Just completed my first playthrough, o boy does this franchise NEED the 60fps smoothness of the previous titles (Crack in Time, Tools of Destruction, etc). For me the whole inconsistent 30fps stuff really hindered my overall enjoyment. I should also say iv'e only played the mainline games (so everything but All 4 One and Q Force)

I don't think every single game absolutely needs 60fps or anything but the Ratchet & Clank franchise is definitely one that needs it for sure. It always matched the hectic run and gun fluid gameplay and as a result it felt like such an alien experience (and not in the good way!) playing at 30fps... sluggish, choppy and less polished as a result.

I know i'm probably in the overwhelming minority here and probably come across as fussy over such an issue but man it really felt off to me. I'd gladly take less dazzle and flair for a buttery smooth 60fps :/

Nah, I felt that way too. I want to love it but playing it in 30 fps just really feels jarring at time. I'm so used to them being a fluid experience but playing this just feels off. I need that 60 fps for it to feel like a true Ratchet and Clank experience. Even Q4B felt like a smoother experience than this.

bridegur

This starts off pretty rough, but after it gets going, it really improves graphically. Some of the best stuff I've seen in the series, despite the slower framerate.

Besides that, though, it's also really a return to a nice balance of platforming/exploring without such a huge emphasis on shooting. I've played about two hours, hopefully it continues to be great.

thenexus6

Off topic:

I have got a PS3 now, want to play R&C miss it from the PS2 days.. I want to get the HD trilogy don't waiting to receive as present, am I okay jumping in at Tools of Destruction?

mishakoz

I dont think there were a majority of people who ever claimed the games were too formulaic. If you view Up your Arsenal as the pinnacle of the series and the mastery of the "formula", as many people do, then its difficult to see if Insomniac ever really gave a chance at reproducing UYA. Tools of Destruction is the only game that is, i would say, pure Ratchet and Clank formula. Even Crack in Time is a pretty significant departure. So besides Tools of Destruction, we havent seen a game try to be the game, the pinnacle, that was UYA, and im still waiting for it.

All 4 One and FFA were experimental mistakes. They were attempts not at making a Co-op ratchet and clank game, but attempts at making a Co-op game with ratchet and clank characters, which was a mistake.

Like ive said before, all i want is one more Ratchet and Clank game on the PS4. A swan song, a big send off, Ratchet finally going on the quest to find his race, new galaxy, all new weapons (maybe a couple PS2 era ones for fun), and just close out the series.

Insomniac, call me :)

Off topic:

I have got a PS3 now, want to play R&C miss it from the PS2 days.. I want to get the HD trilogy don't waiting to receive as present, am I okay jumping in at Tools of Destruction?

Yes. The Future trilogy is more story driven, as opposed to the PS2 era games which were standalone arcs, you arent missing out on a whole lot of story by skipping them. do play them, tho.

thenexus6

Yes. The Future trilogy is more story driven, as opposed to the PS2 era games which were standalone arcs, you arent missing out on a whole lot of story by skipping them. do play them, tho.

Okay I will see i I can grab it today, I will get the HD trilogy but wasn't sure if i'd miss much story

8byte

Banned
To me the multiplayer was so buggy it was almost unplayable :(. In many occasions my character just stopped working in a beginning of the phase where you had to buy attackers/defences. The controller simply stopped responding, and I couldn't do anything but watch when my base got destroyed. Same happened in reverse too: I went to fight the oppositions base just to find out the player frozen in place.

The Multi wasn't horrible per se, but those problems were too frequent to make it enjoyable.

I played hundreds of matches, never saw this once. Definitely an isolated incident.

NIGHT-

Just finished this on Normal. Was very short, but loved every minute of it. The clank parts got sorta annoying, had to adjust to the controls and so on. If you love the series and have a PS3, don't skip this one!

Erasus

Just finished this on Normal. Was very short, but loved every minute of it. The clank parts got sorta annoying, had to adjust to the controls and so on. If you love the series and have a PS3, don't skip this one!

How short is very short? 3h? 5h? 8h? I might play this over christmas.

Espada

How short is very short? 3h? 5h? 8h? I might play this over christmas.

It's closer to A Crack in Time's length than Quest for Booty. But like NIGHT said, it's a blast and just left me wanting a full blown game on the PS4. Also, I finally got enough for the Ryno and its upgrades and it's back being to the beast we know and love.

Top Bottom