• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus |OT| Wanna know why they call it RYNOplasty?

Forgive me if this question has been asked but I don't want to look through the thread for fear of spoilers, but how difficult is this game compared to the other PS3 Ratchets? Should it be played on Normal or Hard? What are people's thoughts who have completed it or are about to?

Great fun for a couple of hours and a small price. I smiled at the powered up mr. Zurkon. Gonna finish it up for platinum today I think.

The framerate was choppy at times, my only major point of critique. Too bad they couldn't hit 60 fps. Then again, there was so much stuff on screen I can understand the framerate took a dip, but I felt it was way more noticeable in this game than in the other ones (I played every one of them besides FFA, which is still in my backlog)

spliced

Forgive me if this question has been asked but I don't want to look through the thread for fear of spoilers, but how difficult is this game compared to the other PS3 Ratchets? Should it be played on Normal or Hard? What are people's thoughts who have completed it or are about to?

I thought it is a bit tougher than ToD which is the only other PS3 R&C I've played. I though there were more situations where enemies were firing at you from a distance which limits your weapon options since close range ones won't hit them.

Elvick

Banned

I found it to be the easiest. Especially the platinum (though grindy).

Well, excluding Quest For Booty, that might be easier. I don't know that I've played it on higher difficulties.

I played R&C Into the Nexus on the hardest setting and had little problems. Once you get the Ryno, you pretty much destroy everything. I can't remember which, but one of the PS3 games had a weak as hell Ryno. So it was nice to feel it destroy everything.

If you're a veteran play on the hardest.

Raife

Nexus seems to call back more to Tools of Destruction than anything. But yeah, Crack In Time is a top 3 Ratchet game. Play it anyway.

What are the other 2 Ratchet and Clank games in the top 3? I'm playing through Crack in Time right now and loving it.

Beat this game on normal last night and freaking loved it. Felt really great to truly (almost without caveats) enjoy a R&C game again. I like it so much that I'm considering playing challenge mode and going for the a plat (something I have not done in years).

Few trophy questions:
1) When I start challenge mode, will it keep my bolt total from my first playthrough? Or do you have to do the 1,000,000 bolts in one game?
2) I have not even looked a challenge mode yet, but do you pick your difficulty in that? Can you get the challenge mode and hard trophy in one play?

What are the other 2 Ratchet and Clank games in the top 3? I'm playing through Crack in Time right now and loving it.

My top three would read:
1. Going Commando
2. Crack in Time
3. Up Your Arsenal

But seriously, they're all spectacular, play them all.

BHZ Mayor

Once you get the Ryno, you pretty much destroy everything. I can't remember which, but one of the PS3 games had a weak as hell Ryno. So it was nice to feel it destroy everything.

A Crack In Time, with it's weak bullets and rockets that fly around haphazardly and rarely, if ever, hit anything. Tbh, the weapons in ACiT were kind of lackluster as a whole and was probably the one low point in an otherwise great game.

Personally, I'd say Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal.

Allywidd

Neo Member
Finished this up over the weekend. Missed crack in time but enjoyed this one.

Beat this game on normal last night and freaking loved it. Felt really great to truly (almost without caveats) enjoy a R&C game again. I like it so much that I'm considering playing challenge mode and going for the a plat (something I have not done in years).

Few trophy questions:
1) When I start challenge mode, will it keep my bolt total from my first playthrough? Or do you have to do the 1,000,000 bolts in one game?
2) I have not even looked a challenge mode yet, but do you pick your difficulty in that? Can you get the challenge mode and hard trophy in one play?

I could be wrong but pretty sure the bolt count carries over into challenge mode and you can pick a different difficulty when starting challenge mode.

A Crack In Time, with it's weak bullets and rockets that fly around haphazardly and rarely, if ever, hit anything.

I dunno, I really liked CiT's RYNO. I loved the outrageous styling and size that it had going for it, as well as all of the crazy stuff it fired off. I thought it was way better than ToD's RYNO, which realistically could have been mistaken for a normal weapon in every aspect but damage.

Tuck

Going Commando is god-tier (Though to be fair, I havent played it in years). Up Your Arsenal was good but not as good. I also enjoyed Tools of Destruction but people around here seem to not be fans, dunno why.

Voror

Platinumed it last night. Fun game if short but for the price not bad at all. It really didn't look as good, especially coming right off of CiT for me.

Nice conclusion to the Future series I thought. Last level was a really nice touch.

Really though, this just makes me want a full fledged PS4 game. Do it Insomniac!

Also makes me want to get that HD collection and replay GC and UYA again.

SykoTech

Beat it the other night.

+JetPack

Lots of fun to use. Reminds me of the one from Going Commando, but thankfully much more mobile and combat friendly. Probably my favorite edition to the series since the Hoverboots in A Crack in Time. Hope to see these return in the future.

+Clank Gameplay

A nice change of pace. More of a departure than I thought it would be, but in a good way (was on media blackout previously). Wouldn't mind seeing it explored further.

+References/Fanservice

My brother and I are suckers for this stuff in any kind of franchise, and this game delievered here as R&C usually does. That last level was really something special.

-Technical Performance

I'm usually not a stickler for this stuff, but going from the performance of the last traditional R&C (ACiT) to this is pretty jarring. I'm not just talking about 30fps either (altough that is definitely part of it). When I first got to Vendra's prison chamber I glitched into the floor and got stuck. Had to Quit Game and come back. And while I didn't run into anymore more of those, the whole game just felt kinda...off. Just not as polished as previous R&C games, the traditional ones anyway.

With this being more of an Epilogue than full-fledged game, I don't mind quite as much as I could. But I REALLY hope Insomniac deliver a much higher quality in performance for the next $60/AAA/whatever-you-want-to-call-it R&C game.

-Weapons

They aren't bad at all. Just standard. Nightmare Box and Winter-izer are probably the only new standouts. Loved what they did with Mr. Zurkon though.

-Length

Well, that was quick. But at least this one has all the replayability of a tradition R&C, unlike Quest 4 Booty.

All in all, not an amazing way for R&C for end the generation. But definitely a satisfying onedoubt. Should hold me over quite well until the full-fledged, AAA, 60fps, 1080p, PS4 Ratchet & Clank game is released.
Insomniac, pls

Ranking Time!

1. A Crack in Time
2. Up Your Arsenal
3. Going Commando
4. Tools of Destruction
5. The Original
6. Into the Nexus
7. Deadlocked
8. Full Frontal Assault
9. Quest for Booty
10.All 4 One

---

11. Secret Agent Clank
12.Size Matters

SykoTech

Forgot to give my thoughts on the story. I enjoyed it. Vendra and Neftin were great characters, and it was nice to have Tawyn back. However...

....it didn't provide the closure I was hoping for. Pretty much another moment of temptation for Ratchet to find/save his race that was not acted upon in the end. And the door is still open too, assuming Clank plans to fix the Dimensionator as the end hinted at.

spliced

I haven't played them all but I'd rank the ones I have:

1. UYA
2. GC
3. Deadlocked
4. Nexus
5. Tools of Destruction
6. Original
99. Size Matters

1-3 are all really close. I like the level design in GC and UYA, but Deadlocked has all the fun mods.

ToD was kinda disappointing.

The original is a really good game but the weapons are lacking and no strafing hurts it.

Size Matters is not up to R&C standards.

Espada

I just beat this and I can barely contain my joy. For $30 I got an awesome R&C experience, one that left me hungry for a full price feature on the PS4. It's definitely closer to ACiT than QFB like jstevenson mentioned before its released.

I have to echo the sentiment that Vendra and Neftin were great characters. I wasn't expecting that coming into this, that's for sure. Hopefully they'll pop up later on.

what GAF that cliff hanger

NooooOOOOOOOO

Edit:
A lot of question not answered.... also the possibility of a PS4 title
Edit 2: R&C into the nexus and Sly 4 spoiler -
Cronk and Zephyr death was as heart twisting as Penelope becoming evil in Sly 4

Last thing for Today
They are setting things up nicely for their next gen game.... It has to happen! The stuff that had happened after All4one and now this!... It is only a matter of time

HYPE hehehehehehehehehe!

For me it would probably go...

God Tier:
1) Up Your Arsenal
2) A Crack In Time
3) Going Commando

Great Tier:
4) Tools of Destruction
5) All 4 One (Underrated IMO, had tons of fun playing co-op)

Decent Tier:
6) Into the Nexus
7) Ratchet and Clank

Meh Tier:
8) Quest For Booty
9) Size Matters
10) Secret Agent Clank
11) Full Frontal Assault

I have yet to play Deadlocked.

injurai

Banned

God Tier:
1) Up Your Arsenal
2) A Crack In Time
3) Going Commando

Great Tier:
4) Tools of Destruction

Decent Tier:
6) Into the Nexus
7) Ratchet and Clank

Meh Tier:
8) Quest For Booty
9) Size Matters
10) Secret Agent Clank
11) Full Frontal Assault

Pretty solid, Deadlocked is probably great tier. Extremely solid gameplay, its just missing out on clank acting as parachute. Its platforming is more combat oriented. I'd bump RC1 and Tools into great though.

Neonsands

Neo Member

God Tier:
1) Up Your Arsenal
2) A Crack In Time
3) Going Commando

Great Tier:
4) Tools of Destruction

Decent Tier:
6) Into the Nexus
7) Ratchet and Clank

Meh Tier:
8) Quest For Booty
9) Size Matters
10) Secret Agent Clank
11) Full Frontal Assault

I agree with this list. Personally, I would put Into the Nexus over All 4 One and Dealocked about Into the Nexus. But other than that, pretty spot on with my opinions.

So I accidentally beat the game, quick question:

I didn't get the rhyno but have all the pieces, and im missing two gold screws from one of the planets. Should I get this stuff first and re-beat the game, or just go to challenge mode?

Toppot

So I accidentally beat the game, quick question:

I didn't get the rhyno but have all the pieces, and im missing two gold screws from one of the planets. Should I get this stuff first and re-beat the game, or just go to challenge mode?

You have to go back and get gold bolts etc on some run, so might as well be this one before you start challenge mode.

injurai

Banned
Are the OP's screenshots doctored ? They seem to look too good for a PS3 game.

I scaled them down for the OP. Photoshop does a bi-cubic re sampling, but really it doesn't change a whole lot. Though it sort of simulates super-sampling AA.

The game really does look that beautiful, you can click the photos in the OP to see their original 1080p glory. Those are all actual captures from the game.

Amon37

Beat the game. No incentive to do challenge mode. Too many weapons not enough game for them. Mr. Zurkon completely overpowered. went through with omniblasters, shotgun, and zurkon.

its like the end comes abruptly and all I'm left feeling is ”.where the other 60‰ of this game?"

thank you gamefly.

krae_man

Does the Plumber have a different voice actor?

Finally got around to playing and just finished the first planet. Liking what I have played so far.

Toppot

So is this game worth getting or should I wait for a PS4 game? Currently considering it since it's so cheap.

Personally I think this game is a rent, or buy and trade in. You might play it over 3 times to get the platinum, but after that I don't think there is any reason to go back and play it for 'fun'. You are better off replaying any of the PS2 games, ACiT or ToD.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Personally I think this game is a rent, or buy and trade in. You might play it over 3 times to get the platinum, but after that I don't think there is any reason to go back and play it for 'fun'. You are better off replaying any of the PS2 games, ACiT or ToD.

but for 20 bucks on sale right now? Not shabby to support the dev if you like it.

Burbeting

Banned
I dunno, this game would have benefited for having $20 price tag. The game lasted five or so hours, so I felt that it was too pricey (mostly because the conversion $ = € tough. I payed 35€ from the game. That's around 47$!).

My ranking-time :).

1.Going Commando (Huge variety in planet themes, most nostalgic)
2. A Crack in Time (Hoverboots was the best thing to happen to Rathets for a while)
3. Tools of Destruction (I think it's really solid!)
4. Up Your Arsenal (Pretty good, but somehow lacked heart imo. Leveling system was better than in GC)
5. The Original (Has lots of heart, but aged badly when compared to GC)
6. Into the Nexus (Pretty good overall)
7. Deadlocked (Gameplay was crazygood, but it didn't seem like Ratchet anymore)
8. Quest for Booty (Never grabbed my attention)
9. All 4 One (Lacked polish, some mechanics were bad)
10. Full Frontal Assault (Felt a really quick cash-in)

JStevenson, if you make another Ratchet game, what are chances you get T.J Fixman to be the writer again? I know he left Insomniac some time ago, but I guess you guys are still in close terms?

Toppot

but for 20 bucks on sale right now? Not shabby to support the dev if you like it.
On sale for $20, sure, I think that is a really good price for the game. As I said earlier in the thread, I think the game is worth its full retail price of $30 if the person hasn't played Q4B. $25 would seem like the sweet spot though.

God Tier:
1) Up Your Arsenal
2) A Crack In Time
3) Going Commando

Great Tier:
4) Tools of Destruction

Decent Tier:
6) Into the Nexus
7) Ratchet and Clank

Meh Tier:
8) Quest For Booty
9) Size Matters
10) Secret Agent Clank
11) Full Frontal Assault

I like this list overall. Although 'd put the original at "Good tier", same for Deadlocked. Still need to play more into the Nexus. I'd put Q4B into decent tier, because while short, still fun.

I do agree about FFA being at the bottom though, same w/ Secret Agent Clank. I feel size Matters has the right setup for an R&C game, just plays extremely rough and has some weird balancing issues.

My ranking goes:
1. A Crack in Time
2. UYA
3. GC
4. Future
5. Origina
6. All 4 One (despite some balancing issues)
7. Deadlocked
8. Quest 4 Booty
9. Size Matters
10. Secret Agent Clank
11. FFA

I'm betting into Nexus will be somewhere around 5 to 7.

Great Tier:
4) Tools of Destruction

Wholeheartedly agree

Still working through it with my 10 year old. Game has really solid coop mechanics and is legitimately funny, which you can't say about all the games in the series.

Yup, waited too long and am gonna buy it now

Stunningly beautiful game. Is the detail worth the lower framerate? Probably not. It makes the game feel more sluggish. But it's still rock solid Ratchet with the usual clever gimmicks (gravity beams, nifty Clank 2D areas, etc) that add a little spice to the formula. A formula that, frankly, I just never tire of. I really want Ratchet on PS4.

WITH 60FPS

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Saw this on sale at Amazon, and snagged it. I was going to buy it anyway, since I love R&C, and was pleasantly surprised to grab it for $20. Should be here on the 1st, so that's not too bad. I have so much other stuff to play anyway.

I took time off work for the new launches and ended up spending a solid two days last week going through this to get the platinum. I really enjoyed myself. More, please, James and team.

And next time, remember that quickly grinding down rails is ALWAYS more fun than slowly walking upside down on magnetic surfaces.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I just got my copy in the mail today. I haven't started it up yet, but I have an extra Quest for Booty code if anyone is interested. I already own Quest for Booty, so if anyone wants it, just quote this post, and I'll PM you the code.

8byte

Banned
Whenever someone hates on FFA, I can't help but wonder what game they were playing. The MP was fantastic.

Top Bottom