• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus |OT| Wanna know why they call it RYNOplasty?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Pretty much 100%ed the game in one day. Challenge + Hard was fun!

Too bad about the crashes (three times) but there was PLENTY of stuff going on screen at once. Crazy amount of action in this game!

Edit: also, not being to skip the ending credits despite being on NG+ is infuriating! WHRYYYYYY!

Acrylic7

Game was too light. Should have made a full Ratchet for the ps4.
Also, why cant I save and why cant I have more then one save file? Thats just weird.

I cant even play the game on Legend because I have no option to load another file. I have to start from the last Boss on normal (Hero) settings while in Challenge mode, or play through regular Hero mode again :/
Or am I missing something?

BHZ Mayor

If you choose continue game instead of challenge right away, go back to the space map and there'll be a planet for replaying those levels. On topic, there's apparently a way to cheese those levels so you automatically get all 3 skill points:
This only works for the ones where you lead a nether back to a rift but right when you enter a rift with nether in tow, pause the game and select restart. You'll get all 3 points regardless of how long you took, if you got hit, etc.

Just finished normal mode and this is a great game for something that otherwise feels really lightweight. I knew going in that this wouldn't be as big as the previous major installments but I was still really impressed.
The first world took so long that I started thinking that the game was just one huge seamless world.

Thanks for that. Good thing I didn't jump straight in to Challenge Mode.

Really loving this although I can feel I'm almost done so I"m 100%ing everything as I go along.

The framerate is pretty damn rough, and I really can't say they're getting a lot out of it in terms of visual look over previous versions, but I should go back for a proper A/B. Bit too much glare blowing out the lighting and losing contrast. Characters look great, and the guns in the upgrade scene also look wonderful.

Few polish issues with excessive LOD pop on Thram, and gameplay bits like losing drop-shadow doing platform jumps in the dark in the early levels.

But the core loop is still a ton of fun. Would pay $60 for a ps4 version with more content in a heartbeat. As it is my buddy who works there gave me a copy for free, feel like I should go buy another one just to get a +1 on the sales. Who wants a free copy?

Just started the download, seems it's over 14gb, so this might take awhile.

Happy to see the impressions are mostly good, disappointed that there seems to be frame-rate issues though.

Blader

Is it worth replaying A Crack in Time before jumping into Nexus? I'm going through QFB right now and realizing that I barely remember anything from the past games (beat them 4-5 years ago).

Derrick01

Banned
It's always worth playing a crack in time. If I wasn't so broke after the next gen craze and saving for a 3DS I'd look for a cheap copy of it. Such a great game.

Astarte

Is it worth replaying A Crack in Time before jumping into Nexus? I'm going through QFB right now and realizing that I barely remember anything from the past games (beat them 4-5 years ago).

I personally think it's worth replaying regardless of how you remember it. Nexus doesn't really deal with a lot of elements from crack in time, so it's not really necessary.

Also that ending made me thirst for more ratchet.

Tizoc

Wow, the game's 10-ish GB on EU PSN, dat multi audio.

OK seems I'm unable to get the 3rd Gold Bolt in Silox, so I gotta remember to get it on my challenge playthrough.

What's a good place to level up weapons before I attempt to beat the final boss and start Challenge mode?

wouwie

I was doing the final boss battle and quit. When i now reload, i don't have the hover boots anymore. Which means i can't get to the final boss anymore since you need them to reach the boss. I guess i'm screwed? Also, i assume it's not normal that i need to re-accept the psn terms each time before the game connects to PSN?

BHZ Mayor

I personally think it's worth replaying regardless of how you remember it. Nexus doesn't really deal with a lot of elements from crack in time, so it's not really necessary.

Also that ending made me thirst for more ratchet.

Nexus seems to call back more to Tools of Destruction than anything. But yeah, Crack In Time is a top 3 Ratchet game. Play it anyway.

Tizoc

I liked the Rabid Gargathon since you can quickly fight him over and over and he can't block.

Eh doesn't charge up my weapons fast enough. Final planet does it better though.

OK beat the game yesterday
that's it? Story started good but that final act was hella weak. Who is the Nethers Leader? Is his main goal just to conquer the Polaris and then Solana Galaxies? Why were they trapped in the alternate world for again?
What species are the twins?
Will we ever learn WHY the Lombaxes left the galaxy? Or are the writers still unable to pull off a concept for that out of their asses?
What was the point of 'killing off Cronk and Zephyr'?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And finished! Loved it, every single second was great! Now it's left me wanting more :(
Imagine a PS4 Ratchet, 1080p, 60fps, meaty 30+ campaign...

Burbeting

Banned
that's it? Story started good but that final act was hella weak. Who is the Nethers Leader? Is his main goal just to conquer the Polaris and then Solana Galaxies? Why were they trapped in the alternate world for again?
Will we ever learn WHY the Lombaxes left the galaxy? Or are the writers still unable to pull off a concept for that out of their asses?

I mostly agree with this post, but
the reason why Lombaxes left was already established during Tools of Destuction. It was in order to escape from Tachyon in hopes that he would leave the galaxy in peace, if he couldn't hunt lombaxes. That didn't work well, tough...

For Cronk and Zephyr, I think the explanation given some pages ago is sufficent. They were a symbol of PS3/360, and now that the console generation is ending, they die off too.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
finished this last night and really enjoyed it. Around the same level as Ratchet 1, (with my faves being CiT > ToD > UYA = GC > Ratchet1 = Nexus >>>All 4 One>QFB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Deadlocked>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Full Frontal Assault) so better than anything that's come since the masterpiece that was Crack in Time. Underwhelming finale and lack of detail regarding the main enemy were my only complaints.

So is it worth it doing the tougher mode? I'm on Hero mode but so far, the only thing enemies seem to do is take a lot of ammo to kill. If that's all the harder modes have going for them, I won't bother.

Took me a little time to get used to the framerate but the game is growing on me now, fantastic soundtrack and I'm glad to see Talwyn make a return...CiT seemed odd without her, especially how large her role was in ToD and Q4B.

Flying around with the jetpack is so so good. It took me only a few seconds to get used to before I'm zooming in the air, dropping grenades on enemies or taking them out with the sniper from afar. The weapons are pretty so far, nothing that seemed crazy overpowered like how some of the weapons in UYA could be.

Vashetti

Banned
Got my copy yesterday, finished the first planet:

I don't understand at all why they killed off Cronk and Zephyr, they were a great part of the team.

Two minutes later they had been forgotten about and Talywn was giving Ratchet directions on the planet like nothing had happened. Very jarring.

wouwie

I regained my hover boots and was able to finish the game. All in all, it was underwhelming and one of my least favourite Ratchet games. I've played 8 R&C games this generation (including the HD classics) so maybe i'm experiencing a bit of franchise fatigue but i have a feeling that this isn't the problem (in fact, i'm thinking about replaying ToD or Acit).

Some thoughts:
+ nice music
+ nice art direction
+ varied gameplay with a lot of gameplay mechanics
+
the museum was a nice touch

- unintersting story (i still have no clue how this fits into the future trilogy or how this is in any way a conclusion to that story line... i must have missed something)
- a lot less funny than usual with this franchise
- problematic framerate. In fact, this is one of the few games where i feel that the framerate had a big impact on my enjoyment gameplay wise
- visuals are hazy, lightning causes way too much yellow/shiny/bloom. Not impressed by it visually
- short and buggy
- never felt really smooth, not in gameplay and not in story(telling)

For me, the ps3 games go like this:
ToD = Acit > Q4B >>>>>>>>>>>> Nexus > All4One

I really hope that one day we'll see a full blown ambitious and techwise adequate (stable 30fps or 60 fps) R&C on PS4. In the end, i still love the franchise and the R&C games (at least the first 3) were some of the most fun i had on PS3.

PaulloDEC

Eh doesn't charge up my weapons fast enough. Final planet does it better though.

OK beat the game yesterday

1)
Mr Eye.
2)
Maybe? He's a slavering, manipulative alien beast, we don't need to know much more than that.
3)
Seemed to me less like they were trapped, and more like they figured our universe looked pretty tasty.
4)
Nether. They arrived in Ratchet's universe as children.
5)
Maybe? Don't see why they shouldn't save some answers for later.
6)
Why should there be a reason? They were killed when Vendra made her escape. Space is a dangerous place.

Dinjooh

Just finished it, and challenge mode and just collecting the last trophies now for the platinum. Gameplay was just fine, but it didn't even touch A Crack in Time story wise.

Looking forward to the next full-fledged Ratchet & Clank game, if there ever is one.

I regained my hover boots and was able to finish the game. All in all, it was underwhelming and one of my least favourite Ratchet games. I've played 8 R&C games this generation (including the HD classics) so maybe i'm experiencing a bit of franchise fatigue but i have a feeling that this isn't the problem (in fact, i'm thinking about replaying ToD or Acit).

Some thoughts:
+ nice music
+ nice art direction
+ varied gameplay with a lot of gameplay mechanics
+
the museum was a nice touch

- unintersting story (i still have no clue how this fits into the future trilogy or how this is in any way a conclusion to that story line... i must have missed something)
- a lot less funny than usual with this franchise
- problematic framerate. In fact, this is one of the few games where i feel that the framerate had a big impact on my enjoyment gameplay wise
- visuals are hazy, lightning causes way too much yellow/shiny/bloom. Not impressed by it visually
- short and buggy
- never felt really smooth, not in gameplay and not in story(telling)

For me, the ps3 games go like this:
ToD = Acit > Q4B >>>>>>>>>>>> Nexus > All4One

I really hope that one day we'll see a full blown ambitious and techwise adequate (stable 30fps or 60 fps) R&C on PS4. In the end, i still love the franchise and the R&C games (at least the first 3) were some of the most fun i had on PS3.

same. by no means an awful game, but disappointing. to me, it actually felt like it was made by fans of the franchise: more of an homage than a work of genuine inspiration. also, the camera, for whatever reason, felt off a lot of the time (too zoomed), but that might've had to do with the large number of small/tight areas...

so yeah, much better than nothing at all, but (unlike q4b) sadly forgettable, & absolutely not the game i'd ever wanna see this series bow out on. it deserves much better, & i hope it gets it...

Got my copy yesterday, finished the first planet:

I don't understand at all why they killed off Cronk and Zephyr, they were a great part of the team.

Two minutes later they had been forgotten about and Talywn was giving Ratchet directions on the planet like nothing had happened. Very jarring.

That did seem a bit weird now that you mention it. I was very shocked when that happened.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I have the Ratchet armor DLC code from my Gamestop preorder that i haven't used. First one to PM me can have it, i don't want to use it. U.S. version of the game.

Dinjooh

Just got the platinum, and aside from some major bugs it went quite easy.

Luckily there isn't any 'My blaster runs hot!' Trophy.

Five

Banned
Just got the platinum, and aside from some major bugs it went quite easy.

Luckily there isn't any 'My blaster runs hot!' Trophy.

Oh my gosh, I loved My Blaster Runs Hot. It's one of the many things that lifts ACiT above the other R&C titles. HOT HOT HOT!

edit: I'm looking it up on the interwebs and apparently everyone else hated the game. Oh well. These graphics really don't do my abs justice.

This may not have any difficult trophies on the level of the My Blaster Runs Hot one, but I kinda suspect that the one where you need to complete that coliseum event using only the wrench is pretty tricky.

This may not have any difficult trophies on the level of the My Blaster Runs Hot one, but I kinda suspect that the one where you need to complete that coliseum event using only the wrench is pretty tricky.

Dead easy. Got it first try, with 5 spares second on 45 given.

spliced

Helps to knock the tougher guys into the lava so you can take them out with one shot.

Tizoc

I mostly agree with this post, but
the reason why Lombaxes left was already established during Tools of Destuction. It was in order to escape from Tachyon in hopes that he would leave the galaxy in peace, if he couldn't hunt lombaxes. That didn't work well, tough...
Gah haven't played that game in a long ass time so some stuff I've forgotten, then again Insomniac makes shit up as they go long for the R&C games' stories.

For Cronk and Zephyr, I think the explanation given some pages ago is sufficent. They were a symbol of PS3/360, and now that the console generation is ending, they die off too.

That's fucking stupid, if that were the case
why didn't they kill off Quark in ToD? There was no purpose to killing them off. If they could go as far as to omit Talwn from CiT, why not do the same with these 2 in this game?

1)
Mr Eye.
2)
Maybe? He's a slavering, manipulative alien beast, we don't need to know much more than that.
3)
Seemed to me less like they were trapped, and more like they figured our universe looked pretty tasty.
4)
Nether. They arrived in Ratchet's universe as children.
5)
Maybe? Don't see why they shouldn't save some answers for later.
6)
Why should there be a reason? They were killed when Vendra made her escape. Space is a dangerous place.

Actually what I intended to ask is why not much development was given to Mr. Eye.
Cronk and Zephyr getting killed off served no purpose, the 'revenge' subplot never clicked much with me as I kept playing

I walked in to best buy yesterday with 40 dollars in best buy money all set to pick me up a copy of Into the Nexus and best buy didn't even have it. >:[
But I ordered it on amazon, can't wait!

Randam

Started it 2 hours ago.
Looks good so far.

But I think beating it on legend could be tough.

Btw.: ACiT is sitting @ 98% for a couple of years now. :D

Didn't wanna start a new thread so I'll just ask this here. I just got a PS3 and I want a Ratchet game. Which game would you guys say is the better one Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time. I was leaning more towards A Crack in Time. Don't really care all that much about story continuity.

injurai

Banned
Didn't wanna start a new thread so I'll just ask this here. I just got a PS3 and I want a Ratchet game. Which game would you guys say is the better one Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time. I was leaning more towards A Crack in Time. Don't really care all that much about story continuity.

I would go Tools of Destruction. Story continuity certainly helps in they way humor and characterization is done. Sounds like your not interesting in delving into the series because I would say play the HD Trilogy collection.

I would go Tools of Destruction. Story continuity certainly helps in they way humor and characterization is done. Sounds like your not interesting in delving into the series because I would say play the HD Trilogy collection.

Forgot to mention that I already played Going commando and Up your Arsenal last gen when I had a PS2. I just remembered I liked those games and wanted to pick one up on the PS3.

injurai

Banned
Forgot to mention that I already played Going commando and Up your Arsenal last gen when I had a PS2. I just remembered I liked those games and wanted to pick one up on the PS3.

Yeah, go with Tools. Then you can get Crack afterwards or maybe play it another year.

Tools will feel like your jumping back into the good old days along side ratchet, Crack will be expanding into Ratchet's back story (something which is dug up a little in Tools)

Carl

Finished it last night and quite enjoyed it. Some of it really reminded me of Ratchet 1 (especially the part where you race the rising water level). All in all pretty good but really disappointingly short. :(

Yeah, go with Tools. Then you can get Crack afterwards or maybe play it another year.

Tools will feel like your jumping back into the good old days along side ratchet, Crack will be expanding into Ratchet's back story (something which is dug up a little in Tools)

Thanks dude. Tools it is.

Toppot

Was quite disappointed with this game =/ The North Carolina studio are slowly making better R&C games, but this still lags well behind the 'Future' series.

The controls and their feel, are off. Ratchet feels sluggish with his movement walking around, he just don't go as far, side jumping seems to cover hardly any distance. It might be the levels are too big between things but it is just such a chore until you get
hoverboots
. Which get taken away from you on challenge mode making every replay worse to start off with, and you seem to need to do 3-4 playthroughs to buy and level up everything. Also, L1 isn't jump when you have lock strafe turned on? Seems like a ridiculous oversight unless I am missing something.

Starting right away on hard (legend) difficulty was great, the game was challenging on my original and challenge run playthrough. Died multiple times forcing me to play differently and be more strategic. It is a little uneven in places but it is actually difficult! Which I love, any attempt at making R&C games in the past challenging has failed miserably, or been patched out (FFA).

The game looks pretty, but I think it looks too pretty, levels and enemies blend together and I think the artstyle has too much detail. I would personally like a more cartoony look somewhere between the PS2 games and ToD/Q4B. This is very much a personal opinion, the game does look great.

The final gun and armour seem overpriced, maybe even all Omega weapons in general. They are just a bit steap for what you can earn playing through. There seems no good level to replay or arena challenge worth replaying to grind bolts. It would have been nice to sell raratanium for bolts, I ended up with far too many after a 3 playthroughs but hadn't bought quite a few weapons. The App coming out helping you earn raratanium as a side is a useless feature for anyone already having played the game, it might be useful for people getting the game at Christmas or later but for fans who played the game 'day one' little to no value will be added to the experience, just seems like a test bed for future games/PS4. Hint: Release the app BEFORE the game, Sony.

The game has nice nods to the rest of the series but they are mostly side parts, the game also fails to make reference to Size Matters, though not a Insomniac game it should be included, much more fun than playing this game in its own right. Dan Johnson tribute was great though and all the audio for the references was a nice touch.

The plot lacks depth and meaning with plot points skimmed over and missing impact, kinda felt like a 'we tried'. Nice ending though. Skillpoints are lazy, almost half of them are just for Clanks sections of the game, which take up maybe 10% of the actual game.

The later levels are fun to play, loved the open world level and the 'pump station' level. The game is eventually fun to play but it just feels off. The game tries to feel big but it just feels empty, I would much rather replay a full R&C game or FFA/Q4B, which is a small game being a small game, not trying to be something it isn't.

I think if you have already played Q4B then the price for this game isn't worth it, £20 with Q4B is good but on its own it needs to be £15. The NC games are getting better but I dunno if they can make a great R&C game anytime soon.

GolazoDan

Finished this a few hours ago. I really, really enjoyed it, although I've never played the future games. Think I might jump into Crack in Time in a bit!
Completed it on Legend and didn't get the RYNO for the final boss but it wasn't so bad with the checkpointed bits at 1/3 and 2/3 of the way through. Just pattern recognition, after all.
I'm a massive fan of some of the character designs in this game, the twins looked like stuff from an animated movie (funny, that).

I actually have the HD collection, Deadlocked (downloaded) and my brother bought me the three future games. It's really bad that the lack of trophies put me off TOD and QFB but I love these games so why not.

But I think beating it on legend could be tough.
It's not too bad. The game's reasonably well checkpointed and if you use
the Nightmare Box and Mr. Zurkon
(weapon spoilers!) in addition to your usual guns then it's fine.

Top Bottom