• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

Journey was absolutely beautiful. Really short though. 1 1/2 hour and you're done. Although I see replay value with exploring and revisiting the beautiful sites.

Davedough

tUYcP.jpg

Do Want.

jasonng

Cordless mice tend to have input lag. It may be minute but it makes a world of difference in competitive games. Then again, if you're playing with a controller you're unlikely to be playing those games anyway.

Davedough

Cordless mice tend to have input lag. It may be minute but it makes a world of difference in competitive games. Then again, if you're playing with a controller you're unlikely to be playing those games anyway.

I wouldn't use it for anything competative... I was more thinking about SNES type emulation and the like on the go.

jasonng

Emulate your snes games on your laptop because your 3DS,Vita, or smart phone can't do that for you.

The only scenario I can see this mouse as useful is when you want to conceal a controller and switch on the fly when you want to play Mirror's Edge or KoA. I do want it but I can't find a reason to justify the purchase.

Is it Bluetooth?

Edit: Oh, apparently the PS3 controller works with my Mac via Bluetooth.
And the wiimote and 360 controller with proper tinkering.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wouldn't use it for anything competative... I was more thinking about SNES type emulation and the like on the go.
That's clever as hell and I want it. Know how much? And the above question is a good one too.

So, I went crazy and made a huge post in the thread about Trump's sons killing all those animals in Africa. If you're at all interested in the topic or have conflicted feelings about sport hunting I asked that you take some time to read it.

My essay on why that thread title is accurate

Here's a pull quote:
In this analogy, Donald Trump's sons are two guys who paid $1000 to get Level 700 characters with every completely maxed-out weapon immediately available, and NPC phantoms that know the way around every level constantly following them, protecting them from harm and showing them exactly where to go.

Davedough

That's clever as hell and I want it. Know how much? And the above question is a good one too.

Actually, just read the Engadget review and it wasn't favorable. I guess its a novel idea, but poor execution.

And Jason, I can agree with what you're saying. I just thought it was a cool peripheral to have laying around. I have things emulated far and wide on my Wii, an old Xbox, my PSP, etc etc etc... it'd just be one more avenue to take it.

BTW... price tag is 55 AMERICAN DOLLARS.

Actually, just read the Engadget review and it wasn't favorable. I guess its a novel idea, but poor execution.

And Jason, I can agree with what you're saying. I just thought it was a cool peripheral to have laying around. I have things emulated far and wide on my Wii, an old Xbox, my PSP, etc etc etc... it'd just be one more avenue to take it.

BTW... price tag is 55 AMERICAN DOLLARS.

It seems pretty sweet, and I'd pay that price, but the mouse itself look uncomfortable, especially for somebody who uses both hands* with his mice like me.

I kind of like this dude, too, though it's a bit more limited in what it can play on account of being SNES-style in input count.

*no, not at the same time

Davedough

HUVd6.jpg

If you can make it out through the glare, it's 70*F outside. That makes it REALLY hard to actually come back to work after lunch.

Holy nice days!

Acid08

Banned
No joke, these are pretty much the first consecutive days of rain we've had in Nor Cal all winter. It was 80 everyday about a week ago.

Davedough

No joke, these are pretty much the first consecutive days of rain we've had in Nor Cal all winter. It was 80 everyday about a week ago.

Yeah, and you'll be sending that rain and crap my direction just in time for this weekend when I'll be in Vegas. Thanks a lot, Smiley.

ihaveafancydigitalreadoutthingbuiltintomycarstealthbrag.jpg

If you can make it out through the glare, it's 70*F outside. That makes it REALLY hard to actually come back to work after lunch.

Holy nice days!

I get around this potential issue by working in a basement and not going upstairs for lunch.

Davedough

not too bad, really. though I'm more of a Subie guy.

I would have loved to have gone Subaru, but I was looking for a commuter car that was still fun to drive, got great gas mileage and was cheap. I walked out with that car, which even though its base, I really like it, for a tad over 14k.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Journey was absolutely beautiful. Really short though. 1 1/2 hour and you're done. Although I see replay value with exploring and revisiting the beautiful sites.

Well, I've already played through it three times! Twice with companions and once alone. Planning on playing it a fourth time tonight. A lot of the replay value in it for me is meeting new people and experiencing the journey with them. Every time I've played the game it felt different.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, I've already played through it three times! Twice with companions and once alone. Planning on playing it a fourth time tonight. A lot of the replay value in it for me is meeting new people and experiencing the journey with them. Every time I've played the game it felt different.
It's too bad we can't Journey together.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
It's too bad we can't Journey together.

Hey now, don't stop believing.

There is always hope we might see each other one day!

So... $15 for 1.5-2 hours?

Depends. I've rarely seen people who say they don't plan on playing it through at least a second time, if not playing it through multiple times. I never say this about games, usually, but I am glad that they designed it to be a short experience. Because of the random nature of your companions it is unlikely that many would want to stick together for longer than a two hour session. But playing the game through with one person is (so I've heard) and amazing experience.

Also, I'd still think it was worth $15 for those wonderful two hours. I can't say that about many movies that I've watched.

Davedough

There is always hope we might see each other one day!

Depends. I've rarely seen people who say they don't plan on playing it through at least a second time, if not playing it through multiple times. I never say this about games, usually, but I am glad that they designed it to be a short experience. Because of the random nature of your companions it is unlikely that many would want to stick together for longer than a two hour session. But playing the game through with one person is (so I've heard) and amazing experience.

Also, I'd still think it was worth $15 for those wonderful two hours. I can't say that about many movies that I've watched.

Explain yourself woman.

Its a multiplayer game where you are given a random partner?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Explain yourself woman.

Yes. There is nothing to indicate who they are until the end (when they show you their screen names.) You are only matched with one person at a time so if they leave or get lost you might get paired with another person, but not until then.

Explain yourself woman.

You know nothing about your partner and there isnt even voice chat. you basically interact with a randomly selected internetgoer who you can only communicate with through beeps and movement.

Sadetar

I rofl'd.

oh, derp.

Minds out of the gutter you lot!
Come on. It was so obvious what you said. I have been giggling about it for a while.

This place is so adorable. <3

And I refuse to believe my mind would be in a gutter. That would be way too clean for me anyways. If we start to talk about sewers where all the gutters end, we are getting near.

My friend btw made me the cutest rubber duck earing of all time. ^________^

Davedough

Yes. There is nothing to indicate who they are until the end (when they show you their screen names.) You are only matched with one person at a time so if they leave or get lost you might get paired with another person, but not until then.

ok, so we need a coordinated effort... we'll exchange phone numbers, keep loading and reloading the game until we can do the "Ok, do you see me moving back and forth?" confirmation... then we'll go with it.

But... in all honesty, I'm up for surreal games that pack an emotional punch. Thats what makes Shadows of the Colossus one of my all time favorite games, but I'm having a hard time making this title one of those rush out and buy it things.

Davedough

Now... I know they're completely different games, but bear with me here...

Limbo. I loved it. Others hated it. I thought it had an atmosphere and appeal that was unmatched by anything out there. Sure, it was short, but it was a fantastic ride that told a grim story that left the ending conclusion up to you. Brilliance in a tiny package.

How does Journey compare with Limbo as far as the emotional impact the game has on you?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I actually don't remember much about the end of Limbo (I liked the game though...)

This game however... it made me feel things in a way I never have in a game. Joy and companionship, depression and abandonment... I've been to the end three times and I always end up crying (but I'm a crier.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now... I know they're completely different games, but bear with me here...

Limbo. I loved it. Others hated it. I thought it had an atmosphere and appeal that was unmatched by anything out there. Sure, it was short, but it was a fantastic ride that told a grim story that left the ending conclusion up to you. Brilliance in a tiny package.

How does Journey compare with Limbo as far as the emotional impact the game has on you?

Hey i have that. Haven't played it.

Dave SotC is one of my favorite games too.

I want to make a game that combines it with Megaman. So you can do the colossi in any order, and they are all defeatable from the start, but each time you beat one you get a power or weapon, and some are helpful for defeating the others.

THIS GAME WOULD BE AMAZING

Chuckie

I didn't cry when Bambi died or that dog from the movie with Owen Wilson, so I might not be the right person to ask about emotional impact.

However!... This game was the first game in a long time which actually made me go 'WOW' again. It has the best 'desolate' atmosphere since ICO.. and there was a scene where you 'slide' through the desert while the sun is setting and reflects on the sand where I was thinking: Best shit I've seen in a game. Not 1080i 270 frames per second triple core processor best graphics, but artistically best graphics.

I simply can't wait to play this tiny but extremely beautiful game again.

Davedough

So a good deal of money has already been dropped on my wife and my 10 year anniversary trip to Vegas. We've been planning a good trip to see a few shows, eat at a few nice places and most importantly, enjoy a few romantic nights where we dont have kids.

She woke up this morning with a giant flaming cold sore. So yeah... I'm sure the shows will be fun.

jasonng

I was looking for my dsi today because I want to replay the third Phoenix wright. Oh man that last case really places you in the moment. That's my pick for emotional game.

Karkador

Banned
Emotional impact in games?

Choice moments of Rez do it for me. Child of Eden, too, which just has some incredible moments. When the visuals and the music come together in those games and I'm grooving and interacting, I feel elated and happy.

Silent Hill 2, for different reasons. Aside from the trip you go through in that game, the moments leading up to the ending and the revelation were just so shocking. I still clearly remember getting to the end of that game, sitting there frozen, ":O"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom