• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Game-Discussion-GAF!

I thought I'd try to derail this thread once again with an off topic post concerning real life…

I've been invited to a '60s themed birthday party in a couple weeks. So far, I'm going to have poorly tended slightly long hair (this is a built-in feature), a handmade peace sign about four to six inches in diameter hanging from my neck, and a headband made out of poorly cut fabric. I'll be visiting the local thrift shop soon for some genuinely forty year old clothing (it's fun to see what people eventually throw out), but I was wondering if anybody out there had some clever ideas for cheaply sixtifying me.

Will they even bother localizing it, is my question.

I hope so, it looks great. If not, I wonder if you can get a fan translated copy, or just get someone who speaks Japanese (I nominate Lissar, since she's closest) to read it out to you.

My boyfriend's teenage brother is getting gaf-parenting-thread syndrome, and its really pissing me off. Every time I go round there he keeps questioning me about my brother (who has a lot of issues going on at the moment) and how if it was his kid (he's two years older than my brother) he would be doing a much better job. Its none of his bloody business, but I can't really say that because everytime he brings it up his parents are around, and then they ask me too. Ugh. /venting.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I hope so, it looks great. If not, I wonder if you can get a fan translated copy, or just get someone who speaks Japanese (I nominate Lissar, since she's closest) to read it out to you.

I on-the-fly translated FFXIII-2 for my boyfriend. It was kind of no fun and he got annoyed I skipped all the non-essential stuff!

I on-the-fly translated FFXIII-2 for my boyfriend. It was kind of no fun and he got annoyed I skipped all the non-essential stuff!

Haha, I was considering doing this for ninokuni (partly for practise, partly because it sounds better, partly so he doesn't keep playing when I leave) :p God, FF sounds so hard though! I don't think I could understand anything from it. I applaud your efforts. Interpreting can be so tiring. I tried doing it for a film with my mum, and half way through I gave up. Voice got sore, and its really difficult to maintain thinking in both languages at the same time.

noah111

Still Alive
How's everyone doing in here? Been a while, I need to figure out a more efficient way to lurk the community forum. :p Oh and nice new avatar clear, almost had an impulse to save it. :x

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
How's everyone doing in here? Been a while, I need to figure out a more efficient way to lurk the community forum. :p Oh and nice new avatar clear, almost had an impulse to save it. :x

all threads have been sent to die. I'm riding the sinking ships till the very end.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Rollercoastery!

Slept too much, but at least I have more sleep in me than I did Monday and Tuesday morning.

I make it through this week, I'mma gonna be okay.

How are you, Sentry?

noah111

Still Alive
all threads have been sent to die. I'm riding the sinking ships till the very end.
But check the OP, RPJ will resurrect the community forum in....
t1357016400z2.png

Speaking of the op; wow at all those bans on the first page :0 graveyard![/SPOILER]

Rollercoastery!

Slept too much, but at least I have more sleep in me than I did Monday and Tuesday morning.

I make it through this week, I'mma gonna be okay.

How are you, Sentry?
Quite well! I've also found myself oversleeping this week, not getting enough work done. ;[ But i've been going out more with friends/family recently, things are pretty stable. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But check the OP, RPJ will resurrect the community forum in....
t1357016400z2.png
Tragic, the world will have ended first.

Speaking of the op; wow at all those bans on the first page :0 graveyard![/SPOILER]
At least Alberto's been reclaimed.

Quite well! I've also found myself oversleeping this week, not getting enough work done. ;[ But i've been going out more with friends/family recently, things are pretty stable. :)
Stable is good. May the Balance guide you.

On the way into work I heard Sheriff Al Lamberti being interviewed on the radio. He mentioned an incident where a prisoner had stored a hacksaw blade somewhere conceal-y, and punctured his colon thus ending his life.

He said that the newspaper reported this story as: "a new kind of punctuation; his sentence ended with a colon."

Whoever came up with that pun-stuffed line must have been given the rest of the week off.

Oh and nice new avatar clear, almost had an impulse to save it. :x

Ah, Sentry stalking how I miss thee :p

My boyfriend's teenage brother is getting gaf-parenting-thread syndrome, and its really pissing me off. Every time I go round there he keeps questioning me about my brother (who has a lot of issues going on at the moment) and how if it was his kid (he's two years older than my brother) he would be doing a much better job. Its none of his bloody business, but I can't really say that because everytime he brings it up his parents are around, and then they ask me too. Ugh. /venting.

Oh man, don't you just love it when kids think they know everything? I dunno, I tend to want to scream "Live a little first, then come back to me with your stupid opinion", especially when it comes to telling everyone how much better they can do something, such as raising a child. Everyone has their nuanced, individual/unique problems and the only way they can learn from them is to go through them. If I were you I would tell him to shut up anyway, though maybe as a guy that would be more acceptable...

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about her relationship troubles and blah blah blah. The point came up that one of the things she dislikes about him is that he doesn't give her compliments even when she tries really hard to look good for him. And I was like...damn, was I like this? I made the point that compliments tend to come out automatically from me at this point, and this is probably the case for most other guys as they get older (she's like 22 and her b/f is a little younger but I forget what age). She agreed, as she tends to notice when she is around older gentlemen they do tell her she looks nice if she's dressed up/made up or she does something different with her hair, they notice. It gets her to feel more confident and happy. I think it's just one of those things that you learn with experience...that people love to be complimented especially if they make any sort of effort.I may have been that guy that didn't pay enough compliments but I know for sure that I've always been the romantic type that would say the right things at the right time, but now that I look back on my younger days I do wish I told more people exactly what I thought of how they presented themselves. I guess I'm making up for it now.

I don't know why I've not been in this thread before, but thanks to UK Gaf also getting booted to community it made it a lot easier to spot you!

So first page, first post, and there I am, the L in 'female'. Yay!

So what goes down in this 'lil community?

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about her relationship troubles and blah blah blah. The point came up that one of the things she dislikes about him is that he doesn't give her compliments even when she tries really hard to look good for him. And I was like...damn, was I like this? I made the point that compliments tend to come out automatically from me at this point, and this is probably the case for most other guys as they get older (she's like 22 and her b/f is a little younger but I forget what age). She agreed, as she tends to notice when she is around older gentlemen they do tell her she looks nice if she's dressed up/made up or she does something different with her hair, they notice. It gets her to feel more confident and happy. I think it's just one of those things that you learn with experience...that people love to be complimented especially if they make any sort of effort.I may have been that guy that didn't pay enough compliments but I know for sure that I've always been the romantic type that would say the right things at the right time, but now that I look back on my younger days I do wish I told more people exactly what I thought of how they presented themselves. I guess I'm making up for it now.

I'm terrible at complimenting people. I always feel really awkward.

Same when I get complimented actually.

Fuck you compliments.

Fuck you compliments.

It's just one of those things that can brighten your day though, it's like saying "good morning!" to a complete stranger while walking to the store or something.

I don't know why I've not been in this thread before, but thanks to UK Gaf also getting booted to community it made it a lot easier to spot you!

We are indeed small, insular and proud! I'm really not liking the city/country threads being moved to community...but whatever maybe this would mean more people will use this forum and possibly just get as much exposure as other sections of the forum. I hope I"m not being to idealistic about this ;( I want the most variety of people to see the LA-Gaf thread cause it helps me discover more to do about the city.

Fuck you compliments.

Nah, I'm the same. Never know how to respond. "oh, um... thanks". Feels nice though ^^ I think giving them is probably something you get better at over time. I used to lean on the side of not wanting to seem fake, but now if someone looks nice/ has nice shoes/handwriting/something I try to let them know.

The "SUBSCRIPTIONS" link near the top of the page is an excellent stalking tool for GAF as a whole.

Welcome. Stop by any time!

We talk about video games mostly. On increasingly rare and wonderful occasions, we discuss things that happen to us in real life.

-----

So a lady came by walking her dog as I was preparing to go to work this morning. It seems that she knew the original owners of the house. Apparently, it was a married couple, and when the husband died, the wife went a little crazy with her pets, amassing a large amount of cats and snakes. At some point later on, folks had to go in and massively fumigate the place, because she had eventually died and was there long enough for the cats to ... get hungry.

This neighborhood is very friendly, and everybody looks out for the whole block, but they're not too great at actually interconnecting, so things like this can happen. Back a year ago when I had a housewarming party, I plunked forty or fifty invites into nearby mailboxes, but the only people to come over were the immediate two houses across the street from mine. I would have liked to meet up with more of the neighbors, but I understand that making time for complete strangers can be really hard. It's too bad; I had a ball pit; they would have liked it. :/

I can do the former, but receiving compliments can be an issue for me, too. More prominently, I have a problem with people doing things for me (or, worse yet, giving me stuff). I just feel uncomfortable or vulnerable when that happens. My birthday and the end of December holidaying is particularly stressful for me for that reason.

I'm getting better at that, though. Out of necessity, I need occasional help to keep my home prettification going, and there's a lot of carpooling going on when I go to big events on the mainland.

Damn, I would think those cats would revive the person like catwoman in Batman Returns :(

I don't know my neighbors that well either, just the ones immediately on our left and right, and behind us. It's only cause everyone does stuff in the backyards so we all get a glimpse at the neighbors family lives.

Nah, I'm the same. Never know how to respond. "oh, um... thanks". Feels nice though ^^ I think giving them is probably something you get better at over time. I used to lean on the side of not wanting to seem fake, but now if someone looks nice/ has nice shoes/handwriting/something I try to let them know.

I'm good at giving compliments but not at recieving them. Likewise i'm really good at helping/supporting other people but i'm really bad when it comes to accepting or asking for help/support.

I'm good at giving compliments but not at recieving them. Likewise i'm really good at helping/supporting other people but i'm really bad when it comes to accepting or asking for help/support.

Oh god I am awful at asking for help.

Well. I'm awful at asking people that aren't my friends for help. So really the people who are going to be the most help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom