• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroRay

Yup, the demo of Watch Dogs wowed me just like AC1. Hopefully we don't have to wait for a sequel for the devs to finally deliver.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I should play Persona 2!

But the next place I need to go will mean I'll be stuck in a building for awhile. D: I don't want to be stuck!

Chuckie

I've totally missed E3 this year... however seeing all the reactions... it seems I haven't missed much at all.

So what's Ninty up too? I can't really be arsed to wade through a million threads in Gaming. I tried the Nintendo thread but it was like a thousand posts like this: TWO GAME PADS!!!... MEGATON!

I've totally missed E3 this year... however seeing all the reactions... it seems I haven't missed much at all.

So what's Ninty up too? I can't really be arsed to wade through a million threads in Gaming. I tried the Nintendo thread but it was like a thousand posts like this: TWO GAME PADS!!!... MEGATON!

That's why you go to the spoiler-free thread to watch the conference :p

Chuckie

lol

I bet that wasn't sarcastic at all. He probably felt the Nintendo conference was the best ever.

Lol... no they didn't seem to be sarcastic. And not just one post.....but many many posts.

What I like so far from what I have seen.

New Super Mario Bros. U
Beyond two souls.

leadbelly

Banned
Lol... no they didn't seem to be sarcastic. And not just one post.....but many many posts.

What I like so far from what I have seen.

New Super Mario Bros. U
Beyond two souls.

I didn't see the Nintendo conference. I fell asleep about an hour before it started. From what I read I didn't miss much though. I will check it out on gametrailers.

Chuckie

I didn't see the Nintendo conference. I fell asleep about an hour before it started. From what I read I didn't miss much though. I will check it out on gametrailers.

Lol me neither. I'm just a whore for Mario. So I did a search on Gaf for it haha.

leadbelly

Banned
Lol me neither. I'm just a whore for Mario. So I did a search on Gaf for it haha.

I'm actually glad now I didn't watch it. I think it would have annoyed me. I've been a huge fan of Nintendo ever since I was a kid. They were and probably still are the best developers in the world. Some people may not like their style of games, but you have to admit they are the masters of what they do. I fully expect Nintendo to come up with some really interesting ideas for the controller, but the problem is, they're quite slow these days in releasing titles. They need to get the third-party developers fully on board.

I think it needs to have a very good price point or else it is not going to sell.

I'm actually glad now I didn't watch it. I think it would have annoyed me. I've been a huge fan of Nintendo ever since I was a kid. They were and probably still are the best developers in the world. Some people may not like their style of games, but you have to admit they are the masters of what they do. I fully expect Nintendo to come up with some really interesting ideas for the controller, but the problem is, they're quite slow these days in releasing titles. They need to get the third-party developers fully on board.

I think it needs to have a very good price point or else it is not going to sell.

It was worth it for these:

gBe96.gif

d'aww.

zombiu-details-revealed.jpg

gah!

That says a lot about the conference when the highlight of the show was Miyamoto waving a Pikmin around.

What the hell is going on in the second picture?

That's Reggie using the 'zombify' feature of the zombiU game. It didn't work out so well, mainly because he tried to open his mouth and make silly faces. Here's the video.

It wasn't just the waving the Pikmin around, it was his whole segment. He looks like a kid at christmas. You can't say no to that face, he'd look so sad :(

leadbelly

Banned
That's Reggie using the 'zombify' feature of the zombiU game. It didn't work out so well, mainly because he tried to open his mouth and make silly faces. Here's the video.

It wasn't just the waving the Pikmin around, it was his whole segment. He looks like a kid at christmas. You can't say no to that face, he'd look so sad :(

That game actually looks really fun. And clever use of the controller. It's another Ubisoft game as well. Ubisoft have had an amazing E3 this year.

I suppose it is always good to see Miyamoto on stage.

leadbelly

Banned
So I decided to watch the Nintendo conference. It was every bit the train wreck I was led to believe. ZombiU was probably the best title shown. It looked fun to play with a really interesting use of the Wii U Gamepad. The only thing that interested me from Nintendo was Luigi's Ghost Mansion. I thought there were some really clever ideas in that game.

The NintendoLand theme park looked horrible. It looked like it was running on a Nintendo DS. It looked like it was put together 10 minutes before the conference or something.

There was no release date, no price, hardly any games, no real concrete vision, it is hard to believe they are close to launching a new console.

That game actually looks really fun. And clever use of the controller. It's another Ubisoft game as well. Ubisoft have had an amazing E3 this year.

I suppose it is always good to see Miyamoto on stage.

I thought it was going to be utter bollocks, but actually seeing a playthrough vid from the show floor gave me a definite "not nearly as terrible as 90% of current shooters" vibe.

wait, how do you even build that and where? there's a pirate festival coming up in sayville, i think i may need to go to that

Step 1: Go to http://www.desertdomes.com/domecalc.html and choose a complexity level of dome (2V and 3V are the most common; I chose the latter). Enter your desired radius, and it'll tell you how many struts you need to have and what vertex distance. Remember to add about 1.5" to each result, as the math gives you the distance from vertex to vertex, and you need a little extra space (like ¾" at each end) to drill the holes.

Step 2: Buy like sixty (depending on how big the dome will be) ten foot lengths of ¾" EMT conduit from the electrical section of your local hardware store. Such a conduit costs about $3.50 apiece, so this is a pretty expensive step if you're making a dome as big as or bigger than the one I'm making. If you don't think people will be putting their weight on it, you can probably use ½" conduit, which is just a little more than half the cost.

Step 3: Use some method (I used a wrench and a pipe cutter, as a hacksaw takes too long, and I smashed up my thumb trying to use a reciprocting saw) to cut the lengths. I chose 97.89", as that means that each ten foot length of conduit can have three struts, one of each type (with about an inch left over, in case a pipe is a little short). If you want the "slightly less than a hemisphere" type of 3V, that's 120 total struts. For the "slightly more than a hemisphere" type of 3V, that's 165 total struts.

Step 4: Use some method (I bought an 1-ton arbor press for like fifty bucks; it's not as clumsy or random as a hammer, though that might work as well if you have a lot of extra time to spare) to flatten the ends. It's best to find the seam running along the pipe and and flatten based on that -- that is, when it's flat, the seam isn't on the faces of the flattened end, if that makes sense.

Step 5: Grab a power drill. Drill holes in all those flattened ends, making sure they're at the distances determined all the way back in Step 1. If you measures your cuts well enough, then you can just drill the holes ¾" from the edges of the pipes.

Step 6: Somehow bend the flatten ends at a slight angle (like between 10° and 12°). Because you're making a curved object, not a plane.

Then basically you just need bolts, wingnuts and washers to connect everything. I hope. I'm near the end of Step 3, so a lot of the above is blind groping for solutions.

Also, I stumbled to http://www.desertdomes.com/tips.html when I was most of the way through this post. They do a much better job than I did of explaining everything, probably because they've done it many times.

Oh, for what it's worth, I did some mathing a week ago somewhere and determined that an 8' radius dome with ½" conduit would weigh about as much as an average healthy person, and with ¾" conduit it'd be another hundred pounds on top of that.

edit

And if you're bored on LI:

This weekend is Figment at Governor's island. People come in and assemble pieces of mostly interactive art. There are dance areas and themed mini golf sort of things, lots of circus-like activities, people playing music, weird fun with mirrors, lots of unpredictable stuff. I have pictures from past ones in 2011, 2010 and 2009.

Three Saturdays from now is the Mermaid parade. This is pretty fun, as well, a nautical-themed parade in Coney Island. Lots of costumes, body paint, and so forth. I was a boat last year, but I may be lazy and not do anything particularly special this time around. There are after-things to that, as well, I think something about a dance thing in a roller ring.

I raise my cup of Sprite to Ray Bradbury. He truly earned the greatest of achievements, that of being lusted after by women seven decades his junior in award nominated music videos.

Crappit, I have only fifty-five years to match his greatness. D:

Emitan

Announcing Emilie's Exciting Entertainment Expo. E4 is the place to see the latest Nintendo, indie, and niche games before they're in stores. Tickets on sale now!

I need a hobby. Maybe a new instrument?

Ellen Page is allowed in, but not her game.

this is an elaborate trap to get Ellen Page to marry me

As an aside, I was extremely disappointed in that game, but it's probably because I couldn't figure out how the characters are being controlled during them demo they showed. How in the world can I judge a game without knowing how it plays?

Emitan

ohhhh i thought you were a lesbian... :)

and I'd fight you to the death for ellen paige, but you'd probably win, im kinda small and weak :(
I'm 100- er 98% lesbian!

for some reason I like penises... just not the man they're attached to

Yeah it sounds like I could kick your butt, but that's not a nice thing to do!

dralla

hmm ive never heard of that before, maybe you're into chicks with dicks :)

my size is deceptive! I use it to my advantage, I've never lost a fight in my life because I think my strength catches people off guard. but it's been a while...plus I can't hit a lady! not too hard anyway

dralla

How many drallas have you been in, fight?
not too many, just a few back in high school. I was also a little bigger in high school, maybe..20 pounds? heavier.

fuuuck, i hate you okcupid, i don't understand why i don't get responses to messages I send, it makes me feel self conscious, I'd rather get a "not interested..." message than nothing. I think im done with the meeting people online thing *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom