• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

Also, Grimlock is the best robot dinosaur ever

I love all the Dinobots, but my personal favorite always was Slag

transformers-slag-dinobots-www.transformerscustomtoys.com_.jpg

leadbelly

Banned
Dragon age is great. Really great. I hope you like it too :D

If you're concerned you can wait until the christmas sales when all the episodes will be out, but right now it feel like a pretty solid game, worth the money even if the next few episodes aren't as great.

Yeah. I've always been meaning to buy the game. I got the ultimate edition for £5. :)

I was thinking about waiting until all the episodes were out. Might be a good idea to wait until the Christmas sales.

Davedough

Steam sale question.

I've never played a Civilization type game in my life. Be it SimCity, Civ or any other game of the same ilk, never even touched the mouse on someone else's install. For some reason Civ 5 intrigues me and reviews are hard to judge because everyone is screaming how its not like Civ 4. Well, I dont know what Civ 4 is like, so that bias isn't present.

I like strategy games, but I'm not that good at them. Is it a game that I could buy for the $7.49 asking price and enjoy? Is it approachable?

Edit: And btw... the fact that its almost 24 hours since this thread received a post is despicable. Step it up people.

Dave, the consensus on our IRC was that it was great. Have had two friends playing since release (not non-stop, they do leave the house sometimes). Bought it for my dad, partner, and me. Both have been enjoying it, though both are long fans of SimCity and strategy games.

Steam sale question.

I've never played a Civilization type game in my life. Be it SimCity, Civ or any other game of the same ilk, never even touched the mouse on someone else's install. For some reason Civ 5 intrigues me and reviews are hard to judge because everyone is screaming how its not like Civ 4. Well, I dont know what Civ 4 is like, so that bias isn't present.

I like strategy games, but I'm not that good at them. Is it a game that I could buy for the $7.49 asking price and enjoy? Is it approachable?

Edit: And btw... the fact that its almost 24 hours since this thread received a post is despicable. Step it up people.

Buy it and enjoy the various scenarios.
The MP is really fun when you get it to work, as it's essentially a souped up version of Risk.

Davedough

Normally for the price, I'd just buy it and if I dont like it oh well, but I'm a bit gunshy after buying Driver San Francisco and the damn thing runs like shit and the driving physics are completely broken. Such a let down even for the low asking price.

Sounds like its worth it though. I'm gonna pull the trigger

SRG01

Steam sale question.

If you do get Civ5, you need the Gods and Kings expansion. The game really goes from mediocre to omgawesome.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I was going to get Civ 5 myself but then I saw that it is turn-based, and I have a dislike of anything turn-based, strategy or RPG. I prefer real time strategy games like Command and Conquer series!

Davedough

Hello. My name is Dave, and I'm a Steamaholic.

I've spent way too much money this sale. Its like I have an addiction. I time my day around the flash sales. I need help.

Emitan

Hello. My name is Dave, and I'm a Steamaholic.

I've spent way too much money this sale. Its like I have an addiction. I time my day around the flash sales. I need help.

I've spent so much money that my brain thinks spending money is normal. I had a dream where I bought Nexus 7 and a new laptop even though it would leave me broke. When I woke up I actually checked to make sure I hadn't bought them :(

Davedough

You should be broke, like me.

...I do not mean to spend all your money on Steam games to BECOME broke, though.

Well, everything was going fine at first. I had a self-imposed $60 budget then I read that you get 30% more for trading in old games at GameStop if you put it towards your Steam Wallet during the sale. Well, I had a slew of old console games that I dont even so much as look at anymore, so I went up there. With the games, the 30% and an extra 10% from my discount card, I walked out of there with $85 on my Steam Wallet............... I'm down to $5.

I'm so ashamed
I'm not

...I forgot about that sale. Hypothetically, how much do you think one could get for AssCreed: Revalations?

Hypothetically, I mean. I've got my eye on a couple of things.

Davedough

...I forgot about that sale. Hypothetically, how much do you think one could get for AssCreed: Revalations?

Hypothetically, I mean. I've got my eye on a couple of things.

Right now Rev is on sale for $26.99 American Dollars. I think it was on sale earlier on one of the past days.

Edit: Ubi has a package deal for $49.99 that has Revelations, Beyond Good and Evil, Driver: San Francisco, From Dust, Heroes of Might and Magic VI, RUSE, Rayman Origins and Spliter Cell Convictions. They even throw in their always online DRM for free.

Right now Rev is on sale for $26.99 American Dollars. I think it was on sale earlier on one of the past days.

I meant trade-in value, but I've already looked it up.

Apparently my Revelations disc is required to play the first AssCreed, which I thought I had installed onto my HDD. Eh, I didn't have that much interest in it anyways.

Davedough

I meant trade-in value, but I've already looked it up.

Apparently my Revelations disc is required to play the first AssCreed, which I thought I had installed onto my HDD. Eh, I didn't have that much interest in it anyways.

Yeah, I recently traded mine back in and I think they gave me $19 but that was with the increases deals, so its not much.

I reloaded AssCreed1 on my PS3 and after playing II, Bro and Rev, it felt very clunky. Like a tech demo for the real game. Lost interest pretty quickly.

Yeah, I recently traded mine back in and I think they gave me $19 but that was with the increases deals, so its not much.

I reloaded AssCreed1 on my PS3 and after playing II, Bro and Rev, it felt very clunky. Like a tech demo for the real game. Lost interest pretty quickly.

$19, huh? Not bad. I was going to trade in both Bros and Revs because I also wanted to get a PSN Funbucks Card with the Steam Card, but that will definitely help me out.

And I only installed AssCreed1 because it was free, but since I'm getting rid of Revs anyways, it doesn't matter. The only thing 1 has over 2 are the unique assassinations for the main targets. I always thought it was a shame that they were never really brought back, but I also had a blast playing through the entire series so their exclusion doesn't sting too much.

Davedough

My haul so far:

Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Dead Space 2
Driver: SF
Dungeon Siege III
Alan Wake w/ American Nightmare
Civ 5
Risen
Oblivion
Witcher 2
Sniper Elite V2
L.A. Noire
Vessel
Bulletstorm
Magicka
STALKER pack

Chuckie

Hi guys... Just got back from a trip to Köln, Germany to celebrate my 5th wedding anniversary.
It was awesome but I ate way too much bratwurst and had too much Kölsch beer so now I have to have some extra gym-time next week.

leadbelly

Banned

Yeah. The game felt like they were experimenting with various ideas but yet to make a proper game. They had the basic structure of the game in place, you complete certain tasks to gain information on your target and assassinate him, but the actual tasks themselves were neither fleshed out enough or varied enough. Altair is always gaining a new ability throughout the game, the only problem is, the game world is not really developing around him. The tasks you do to gain information are basically all the same. The character models may be different, it may be in a different location, but the basic tasks remain pretty much the same. They felt almost like fetch quests. Like you're running around picking up flags or something and returning them to a character. A lot of games have fetch quests in them, but it's not usually the main game. The tasks in AC1 aren't all literally fetch quests, but they are just as monotonous as fetch quests. Not straight away, they seem quite interesting to start off with, but after doing basically the same thing over and over again, it certainly becomes that way.

Urrrrgggg. Everything aches. I drank way too much last night.

always best to drink plenty of water.

Davedough

Yeah. The game felt like they were experimenting with various ideas but yet to make a proper game. They had the basic structure of the game in place, you complete certain tasks to gain information on your target and assassinate him, but the actual tasks themselves were neither fleshed out enough or varied enough. Altair is always gaining a new ability throughout the game, the only problem is, the game world is not really developing around him. The tasks you do to gain information are basically all the same. The character models may be different, it may be in a different location, but the basic tasks remain pretty much the same. They felt almost like fetch quests. Like you're running around picking up flags or something and returning them to a character. A lot of games have fetch quests in them, but it's not usually the main game. The tasks in AC1 aren't all literally fetch quests, but they are just as monotonous as fetch quests. Not straight away, they seem quite interesting to start off with, but after doing basically the same thing over and over again, it certainly becomes that way.

Have no fear, Ezio will show you the way to enlightenment.

leadbelly

Banned
Have no fear, Ezio will show you the way to enlightenment.

Oh AC2 is so much better. I'm still quite early in the game I imagine, but I knew after about the first 30 minutes of playing the game just how much of an improvement it was. Just free-running over the roof tops for instance felt much more fluid. There is more to do in the world. You gain new abilities just like in the first game, but this time, there is more of a purpose to upgrading. There is more depth to the gameplay.

I have come across one little annoyance to the game so far though. As you know, there are symbols around the world you have to investigate, which once found give you more information about what is really going on. You're basically slowly unravelling the truth. Once you reach a certain location you are notified that one of the symbols is on that building. However, sometimes you're doing something else at the time and decide to go back to it at a later time. The problem is, these locations aren't marked on the map. You know what it looks like and the name of the building it is on, but you don't get that information actually on the map. It's fine for some locations because it is pretty easy to find them again, but there are other locations that are kind of less noticeable and get lost in the maze of buildings surrounding it. :/

Davedough

Oh AC2 is so much better. I'm still quite early in the game I imagine, but I knew after about the first 30 minutes of playing the game just how much of an improvement it was. Just free-running over the roof tops for instance felt much more fluid. There is more to do in the world. You gain new abilities just like in the first game, but this time, there is more of a purpose to upgrading. There is more depth to the gameplay.

I have come across one little annoyance to the game so far though. As you know, there are symbols around the world you have to investigate, which once found give you more information about what is really going on. You're basically slowly unravelling the truth. Once you reach a certain location you are notified that one of the symbols is on that building. However, sometimes you're doing something else at the time and decide to go back to it at a later time. The problem is, these locations aren't marked on the map. You know what it looks like and the name of the building it is on, but you don't get that information actually on the map. It's fine for some locations because it is pretty easy to find them again, but there are other locations that are kind of less noticeable and get lost in the maze of buildings surrounding it. :/

Yeah, admittedly, I used a location guide online to find all of them because of that same exact problem. I didn't have anything help me solve the puzzles, but I just needed help finding where each building was. There are GIF maps out there with locations that you can compare to your in game map to give you an idea. When looking at it, it helps if you turn off all the other icons on the map so you can get a clean view. In it's defense though, they wouldn't be secret locations if they put a beacon on the building, now would they?

leadbelly

Banned
Yeah, admittedly, I used a location guide online to find all of them because of that same exact problem. I didn't have anything help me solve the puzzles, but I just needed help finding where each building was. There are GIF maps out there with locations that you can compare to your in game map to give you an idea. When looking at it, it helps if you turn off all the other icons on the map so you can get a clean view. In it's defense though, they wouldn't be secret locations if they put a beacon on the building, now would they?

Yeah, but you're notified that there is a symbol on the building the moment you come across it. It's not like you have to find these symbols entirely unaided. The problem arises when you choose not to search for the symbol at the time you are notified. It is when going back to that building at a later time that it becomes an issue. The thing is, maps usually have the names of the locations on them. It's not like you pick up a map and have to guess what shaped building is the location you are looking for. What use is that? lol

dralla

FUUUUUUUCK, I got poison ivy, again! 3rd summer in a row, and it's on my face again! my damn left eye is beginning to swell like a mother fucker. Luckily I found some cream that worked really well last year, unfortunately PI cream is so damn expensive :( I just put some on, I hope it won't get too bad this year :((

leadbelly

Banned
Okay, I've just lost hours of gameplay in Assassin's Creed 2. :(

I decided to abort memory thinking it would take me out of the particular mission I was on only for it to bring back to a very early part of the game. Lost everything. I think -- well from reading threads in the ubisoft forum -- that it is an issue with Uplay.

I can't believe I have to start playing a large part of the game all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom