• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
COMIC RECOMMENDATION TIME

Saga:

Written by Brian K. Vaughan(Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, Runaways) with art by Fiona Staples. Story is about two species who have been at war for longer than anyone can remember and the struggle of two lovers and their child against their respective factions. The synopsis sounds generic but the story beats are great, . The main draw(PUN DEFINITELY INTENDED), however, is the incredible art and design from Staples. This book really struck a chord with me.

Examples:
IMG120062.jpg

IMG120188.jpg

saga-tpb.jpg

1323711654.jpg

The first paperback(click for amazon) comes out next week and includes issues 1-6. The normal monthly issues restart in November with #7.

The Manhattan Projects

Written by Jonathan Hickman(Fantastic Four, FF, Ultimates, the upcoming Avengers relaunch) with art by Nick Pitarra. The series, as I'm sure you can tell from the name, centers on the creation of the atomic bomb....but that is just the cover for the more sinister things the US government is working on. Like alternate history stories? Get the fuck over here and read this. The writing is creepy, smart, and moves faster than the Flash on meth. The characters are all out of real life with some....liberties taken, of course. I was addicted from the first page on and am very impatiently waiting for the next issue. It's one of the most unique books I've read.

Some example pages(nothing spoilery):
manhatproj01_p2.jpg

Manhattan_Projects_comp..jpg

oppenheimer1.jpg

The first paperback is out now (click for amazon). Collects issues 1-5. The 6th is out now with the 7th releasing at the end of this month.

leadbelly

Banned
Oh, there's absolutely no doubt the characters are all flawed, but it doesn't make some of the gritty difficult choices you have to make, and those consequences any easier to stomach. I remember in Episode 3
where the teenager you picked up in Episode 2, and the daughter of the asshole with the heart condition got in an argument and then she just up and shot Lee's potential love interested chick in the head (Sorry, not remembering names right now)
I literally had an "OH SHIT" reaction to that. I love how things like that give you the feeling of dread and that no one in your party is safe and all of your choices have weight. That to me makes the interactions with the other characters that much more dramatic.

Well, a flawed character is a more interesting character. The part you mentioned is not the only shocking moment in that episode of course. It's funny because I had the same reaction to those scenes as you did, but at the same time, I couldn't help thinking this was just emotional manipulation, and quite transparently so. They picked the characters who would cause the biggest reaction. It's almost as if you can see the writer's thoughts in those moments. Him going through in his head what would make the biggest emotional impact possible. Episode 3 is very much those two scenes when you think about it. If it wasn't for those moments, there wouldn't be an awful lot to that episode. I can't help thinking they were added because it needed to be more interesting. The scenes work though. It certainly got a reaction out of me.

I think episode 2 is still best episode so far.

Davedough

Well, a flawed character is a more interesting character. The part you mentioned is not the only shocking moment in that episode of course. It's funny because I had the same reaction to those scenes as you did, but at the same time, I couldn't help thinking this was just emotional manipulation, and quite transparently so. They picked the characters who would cause the biggest reaction. It's almost as if you can see the writer's thoughts in those moments. Him going through in his head what would make the biggest emotional impact possible. Episode 3 is very much those two scenes when you think about it. If it wasn't for those moments, there wouldn't be an awful lot to that episode. I can't help thinking they were added because it needed to be more interesting. The scenes work though. It certainly got a reaction out of me.

I think episode 2 is still best episode so far.

I'm slowly going through Episode 4 now and I think I can predict what's going to happen. I know what my actions and decisions are going to bring, so its just a matter of waiting for the twist... although, I'm not exactly sure to what degree and how severe the consequences will be.

leadbelly

Banned
I'm slowly going through Episode 4 now and I think I can predict what's going to happen. I know what my actions and decisions are going to bring, so its just a matter of waiting for the twist... although, I'm not exactly sure to what degree and how severe the consequences will be.

Actually, I don't think your actions have much consequence in 4. There is certainly a 'WTF' moment right at the end, but I don't think that can be changed.

Everyone who loves garlic is good people

This thread inspired me to eat some pizza with garlic herb sauce and mushrooms for dinner tonight. It was good, and I no longer hate mushrooms on pizza.

I have some red lentil soup for later. Never tried it before, so hooray for new experiences (unless those experiences are bad).

I'm the exact opposite. I can tolerate them cooked but raw, the texture sends me into gagging fits.

They do have an odd texture either way.

Oh, there's absolutely no doubt the characters are all flawed, but it doesn't make some of the gritty difficult choices you have to make, and those consequences any easier to stomach. I remember in Episode 3
where the teenager you picked up in Episode 2, and the daughter of the asshole with the heart condition got in an argument and then she just up and shot Lee's potential love interested chick in the head (Sorry, not remembering names right now)
I literally had an "OH SHIT" reaction to that. I love how things like that give you the feeling of dread and that no one in your party is safe and all of your choices have weight. That to me makes the interactions with the other characters that much more dramatic.

The
journalist lady? lol, in my game I saved the nerdy guy. I was so sad when he died. Stupid college kid =/

There were a couple of little things in the forth episode that really messed me up for some reason, like
things at the house. Digging up the dog, the stuff with the boy, and then the family painting on the wall ;.;

Pau

COMIC RECOMMENDATION TIME

The Manhattan Projects

Written by Jonathan Hickman(Fantastic Four, FF, Ultimates, the upcoming Avengers relaunch) with art by Nick Pitarra. The series, as I'm sure you can tell from the name, centers on the creation of the atomic bomb....but that is just the cover for the more sinister things the US government is working on. Like alternate history stories? Get the fuck over here and read this. The writing is creepy, smart, and moves faster than the Flash on meth. The characters are all out of real life with some....liberties taken, of course. I was addicted from the first page on and am very impatiently waiting for the next issue. It's one of the most unique books I've read.
Did you pick up Hickman and Pitarra's The Red Wing? The premise sounds really cool and I've enjoyed Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run, but for some reason I haven't jumped on his other stuff. Actually, I haven't picked up comics in months so this post was appreciated. :)

leadbelly

Banned
The
journalist lady? lol, in my game I saved the nerdy guy. I was so sad when he died. Stupid college kid =/

There were a couple of little things in the forth episode that really messed me up for some reason, like
things at the house. Digging up the dog, the stuff with the boy, and then the family painting on the wall ;.;

Oh. I am actually curious how the story unfolds that way.
The journalist lady is the one that died in my game as well. You may or may not know that the college kid is the one that gave those people the rations. If he never did that then Duck would never have gotten bitten. He actually decides he wants to tell Kenny this in episode 4. Of course Kenny isn't all that pleased about this. He nearly gets Clementine killed as well.

The end of episode 4 is probably the most shocking part for me.
I never expected Lee would ever get bitten considering it is the character you control. I couldn't help thinking about Clementine. She was on my mind anyway after that guy offered to take her off his hands. I chose the 'I'll think about it option'. I hope it wasn't really a bite because it will really upset Clem. :(

Edit: Just realised.
Do you mean the nerdy guy from Episode 1 when you're in the shop? Is it possible for the woman to kill the college kid? Does that happen for some people?

Edit Edit:
Okay the journalist will always die at that point

Oh. I am actually curious how the story unfolds that way.
The journalist lady is the one that died in my game as well. You may or may not know that the college kid is the one that gave those people the rations. If he never did that then Dug would never have gotten bitten. He actually decides he wants to tell Kenny this in episode 4. Of course Kenny isn't all that pleased about this. He nearly gets Clementine killed as well.

The end of episode 4 is probably the most shocking part for me.
I never expected Lee would ever get bitten considering it is the character you control. I couldn't help thinking about Clementine. She was on my mind anyway after that guy offered to take her off his hands. I chose the 'I'll think about it option'. I hope it wasn't really a bite because it will really upset Clem. :(

Edit: Just realised.
Do you mean the nerdy guy from Episode 1 when you're in the shop? Is it possible for the woman to kill the college kid? Does that happen for some people?

Yeah,
the nerdy kid from episode one. Doug, I think. The rest of episode three seems to unfold the same way. Doug jumps in front of Ben (the college kid) and gets shot, because Ben was accused (and did) hand out the rations. Did you choose to save him in episode four?

Re: clementine, I wanted to pick the "think about it option" but the bf had the controls and told him to fuck off basically. Pinned the old man up against a wall, and then he and clem disappear. I don't think he took her be it sure seemed that way.

leadbelly

Banned
Yeah,
the nerdy kid from episode one. Doug, I think. The rest of episode three seems to unfold the same way. Doug jumps in front of Ben (the college kid) and gets shot, because Ben was accused (and did) hand out the rations. Did you choose to save him in episode four?

Re: clementine, I wanted to pick the "think about it option" but the bf had the controls and told him to fuck off basically. Pinned the old man up against a wall, and then he and clem disappear. I don't think he took her be it sure seemed that way.

Edited my post a bit more.

Okay. That is slightly different to how it happened with me when Carley got shot. She basically just shoots Carley in the head.

When you choose the 'think about it' option Lee just sits on the couch opposite Clems bed. He wakes up in the morning to find Clem missing. Lee still got bitten in your game though right?

The thing is, there is only one episode left. It could be he dies at the end of it. I hope not though. Maybe there is a way to stop him getting infected. If he chopped his hand off or something. Maybe the actions you take in the last episode will decide whether you live or die

leadbelly

Banned
Nah
he's still alive in my game! There's a bit in episode four where you can choose to throw him off the bell tower, did you get that?

Yeah. I think that is something that happens regardless of your choices.

lol

I meant the journalist or Doug will always die at that point

Davedough

I just beat Episode 4....
This is just to confuse Billie Chu and see if she is actually reading this stuff.

Pbtbtbtbtbttbtbtbttbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtbtb....

AHoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooga!!!

Shazbot!
... and that's how I feel about it all, if I'm being honest.

Acid08

Banned
Did you pick up Hickman and Pitarra's The Red Wing? The premise sounds really cool and I've enjoyed Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run, but for some reason I haven't jumped on his other stuff. Actually, I haven't picked up comics in months so this post was appreciated. :)

The Manhatten Projects sounds awesome, quit tempting me with more things to take up my time.

This looks/sounds pretty amazing dawg. Glad I randomly decided to click on this thread today.

Go for it guys, seriously great stuff. These books are using the medium to tell much different stories than the usual superhero stuff. There is some good superhero stuff right now though. Aquaman(shut up it's rad), Batman, Uncanny X-Force, and Action Comics(although one of the stories wasn't all that interesting). Batman just started a new story, in issue 13, on Wednesday and it was scuuuury good.

I haven't checked out The Reg Wing but I definitely will now! The synopsis sounds great and I'm already loving the combo in TMP. Thank you! :D. My description of Saga really doesn't do it justice. It's methodical, violent, and beautiful all at the same time.

leadbelly

Banned
I'll mark this to watch after work... cant do YouTube at work.

off-topic... do you have another IM other than Steam? PM me the info... I need to talk about The Walking Dead and dont want to send people in fits over more black bars.

MSN? I haven't used MSN in years.

Edit: I don't even have messenger installed. You have to download Windows Essentials. I'm going out in a minute though.

leadbelly

Banned
Any... google, msn, aim, yahoo, icq.... I'm well connected.... but nevermind, you're making it impossibly British to have a simple conversation. =P

lol

Yeah. Not really the best time for me to be messing with this stuff though. Just speak about it on steam later. :p

I could download MSN, but I don't know if I'll be back before you finish work. :p

So I just finished work, walked to the tram stop (station?), got on the tram, sat down, realised I left my tablet AKA my main form of internet in my drawer at work, got off the tram, walked all the way back and am now at my desk.

Might just wait the next 40 minutes and join in on board game club because fuck it.

Davedough

Can't wait to see Louis CK do live standup tonight

My first time attending a standup comedy event :D

I've been to a few Improv houses in my time and I have to say, seeing a comic live is always a better experience. I seem to laugh more when the comic is right there in front of me as opposed to seeing them on the TV. Have fun. =)

Can't wait to see Louis CK do live standup tonight

My first time attending a standup comedy event :D

Have fun, standup's great.

Ross Noble in a month! So pumped. Managed to sort out the tickets so now my friend should be able to come up :D

If anyone hasn't seen Ross Noble, definitely try to, he improvises at least 90% of his set so it's almost entirely different every time.

One of my favourite Ross Noble clips. There are a load of just random clips from his shows on that channel. Watch them they're great >_>

Davedough

So is this joke gonna get a punch line or what?

Gah... put me on the spot... now I have to make up one on the spot and like the last page, I'll be called a racist...

So...

Jesus walks into a black bar, but being fictitious no one can see him. He overhears a white guy and a black guy arguing over whether or not Jesus was a black guy or a white guy. Both are very convinced they, themselves are right. So the black guy finally calls up into the air and yells "Jesus, are you black or are you white?". Jesus musters all his power and booms in his voice "I am, what I am".

A few minutes of silence goes by and the white guy finally speaks up and says "See, I told you". The black guy turns around and says "How do you figure?" so the white guy says "If he was black, he would have replied, "I is what I is"

no, I didn't make that up, altered it to fit my needs, and no, I do not think its funny

Ezalc

Gah... put me on the spot... now I have to make up one on the spot and like the last page, I'll be called a racist...

So...

Jesus walks into a black bar, but being fictitious no one can see him. He overhears a white guy and a black guy arguing over whether or not Jesus was a black guy or a white guy. Both are very convinced they, themselves are right. So the black guy finally calls up into the air and yells "Jesus, are you black or are you white?". Jesus musters all his power and booms in his voice "I am, what I am".

A few minutes of silence goes by and the white guy finally speaks up and says "See, I told you". The black guy turns around and says "How do you figure?" so the white guy says "If he was black, he would have replied, "I is what I is"

no, I didn't make that up, altered it to fit my needs, and no, I do not think its funny

Heh.

I've heard that joke before, told by a black person to a mostly black group of people, it got a good bit of laughs, in hindsight not sure how i feel about that.

leadbelly

Banned
Dave.

That was weird.

Well, I think it is referring to the idiosyncratic grammar structure of English-based creole languages like Jamaican Patois.

I've heard that joke before, told by a black person to a mostly black group of people, it got a good bit of laughs, in hindsight not sure how i feel about that.

I've heard it before too. I'm not sure what I feel about it either. It certainly isn't a politically correct joke.

Davedough

Really?

I was challenged to make an ending to a silly thing I mentioned earlier in the thread so I picked the most innocuous thing I could find that fit the mold. And for the record, its a call back to the 1970's jive talk that was so prevalent in places like Harlem. If it offended anyone, that wasn't the intention.

leadbelly

Banned
Really?

I was challenged to make an ending to a silly thing I mentioned earlier in the thread so I picked the most innocuous thing I could find that fit the mold. And for the record, its a call back to the 1970's jive talk that was so prevalent in places like Harlem. If it offended anyone, that wasn't the intention.

lol

Not saying it offended me Dave or that you meant any offence by it. I know you didn't mean any offence by it :p

Just saying it probably isn't the most politically correct joke around. If it was said on TV for instance, there is a chance it would cause some controversy, regardless of how it was originally intended. It's just the way it is now.

And I've always understood it to be referring to how Jamaicans speak. Although, that is more than likely because the black population in the UK was largely made up of Jamaican immigrants. The joke still kind of works in that sense.

Acid08

Banned
Just watched Lost In Translation for the first time, fucking great movie :)

One day I'll be able to afford my dream trip to Japan.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just watched Lost In Translation for the first time, fucking great movie :)

One day I'll be able to afford my dream trip to Japan.
Man when the bombcast was talking about The Raid, I was so ready to just say fuck it Acid we're going on a capsule toy collecting holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom