• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
ji9YS.jpg

leadbelly

Banned
Its fun! Its great! You can understand stuff, and understanding foreign languages is awesome! Korean food is great! There are Korean people everywhere to practice with! Um Um. Korean culture is cool. Korean politics is interesting. Korean girls are cute. Korean guys are cute. Starcraft etc. Korean music is catchy. Not many people speak Korean but there's lots of trade so it'll be easy to get a job working with Korea (ie goverment + business), and you'll be a huge novelty over there for speaking it.

*takes a huge breath*

And stuff.

lol

Hmmm... I'm still undecided shan. I am a little more curious, but you'll have to give me more information. You need to make me feel excited. I want to be so excited that I punch my fist into the air and say, "Yes! I will learn Korean!"

Make me feel it shan.

Not this fucking shite again. Goddamn Americans.

My first word was biscuit, so I know motherfucking biscuits. A biscuit is flat and hard. Not some fake scone shit. A cookie is a type of biscuit, usually with chocolate chips in.

So get out of here with your stupid-as-fuck "biscuits". FUCK ALL Y'ALL.

lol

You tell 'em Robot!

Chuckie

My first word was biscuit, so I know motherfucking biscuits. A biscuit is flat and hard. Not some fake scone shit. A cookie is a type of biscuit, usually with chocolate chips in.

Bit like Dutch. While a koekje and a biskwietje are essentially the same, the word biskwietje is used for those 'healthy' things without chocolate or icing or whatever.

Like these:

San-francisco-naturel-S.jpg

leadbelly

Banned
Those are biscuits. bis·cuit/ˈbiskit/ Noun: A small, typically round cake of bread leavened with baking powder, baking soda, or sometimes yeast.

BEzdb.jpg

So if you call those scones, what are these? scone/skōn/ Noun: A small unsweetened or lightly sweetened biscuitlike cake

mQ8t8.jpg

Well, I asked you what they were. They look like scones but I wasn't sure.

They're not proper biscuits though. :p

Davedough

You're not allowed to yell at Americans and use an American colloquialism.

EVOL 100%

For what it's worth Korea is on team America here. This is the first time I heard the word scone.

In other unrelated news I'm officially hitting second puberty. Voice getting deeper, face changing ect. Also, hair. And forehead wrinkles fuck that shit.

leadbelly

Banned
You're not allowed to yell at Americans and use an American colloquialism.

lol

Just looking at the wiki page:

In the United States and Canada, it is a small, soft, leavened bread, somewhat similar to a scone, though generally softer and fluffier. Although yeast may be used as a leavening agent, it is often replaced or supplemented with baking powder or baking soda. A Southern regional variation on the term, beaten biscuit, is closer to the British variety.

In Commonwealth English, it is a small and generally sweet baked product that would be called either a cookie or a cracker in the United States, and a cookie (biscuit in Quebec) in Canada. In Newfoundland, the British term is used, whereas the American "biscuit" is virtually unheard of, and not a popular food item in the province. Biscuits in the United Kingdom and Ireland may be savoury (savoury biscuits are often referred to as "crackers") or sweet, such as chocolate biscuits, ginger nuts, custard creams or the Nice biscuit. Although in Commonwealth Nations the term "cookie" may be synonymous with "biscuit", a cookie is generally a softer baked product.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wonder if the people so direly offended by the word biscuit referring to a soft buttery sconelike good have ever tasted one fresh from a good southern American kitchen. The confederacy may have been wrong on slavery but man if they aren't right on butter.

leadbelly

Banned
I wonder if the people so direly offended by the word biscuit referring to a soft buttery sconelike good have ever tasted one fresh from a good southern American kitchen. The confederacy may have been wrong on slavery but man if they aren't right on butter.

Go away with your fake scones!

We only serve the finest scones with our tea here!

p.s. Not offended. :p

EVOL 100%

Yes yes, fight for your mutual destruction.

But seriously I'm so confused. What the hell is a scone and what the hell is a biscuit supposed to be?

dm6LW.png

leadbelly

Banned
As they told me in University. Wikipedia is not a reliable source because it is openly editable and not peer reviewed. Your argument is invalid and Nicholas Cage's hair looks ridiculous.

Ah, but I could just pull up a dictionary definition.

a : any of various hard or crisp dry baked products: as (1) British : cracker 4 (2) British : cookie
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/biscuit

And Nicholas Cage's hair was very weird in Ghost Rider.

leadbelly

Banned
You know it is quite unbelievable just how bad wigs look on him. You'd imagine they are pretty expensive wigs he is wearing. I mean Burt Reynolds has worn a wig for most his life.

.la1n

You know what, I don't even know why I'm interested. I cant participate this year, as much as I'd like to. I just bought a house and will be moving in at that time. I need all my money for not only my family to have a christmas but to turn on utilities, moving expenses, etc... I'm friggen broke until February. Sorry Real-Gaf.

It's okay, you'll always be my secret santa Dave.

Speaking of Nic Cage did anybody watch this?

EGMlc.jpg

I still can't believe that this is actually a thing.

No but I now have an urge to. Nic Cage movies are guilty pleasure, sometimes they are great (Lord of War, 8mm) and sometimes not so much (Bangkok Dangerous.)
The man was in Raising Arizona so he gets a free pass until the day he dies.

Oh hey, you guys should all learn Korean. Its super fun! And apparently the hallyu wave has hit the west for real now! Erm. I just thought I'd take the opportunity to say it because more people should study Korean... and erm... gangnam style.

tumblr_mbu9t2d7nC1qm8hz8o1_500.gif

I was actually into Korean way before Gangnam Style, for the purpose of living in a Korean buddhist temple.

EVOL 100%

Even as a Korean guy I can't see much appeal in learning the language. I guess if you like Korean pop culture.. Or our literature, although you'd actually have to live here to actually understand any of it. Hell, most Koreans have trouble in understanding Korean literature.

Hangul is fucking good stuff though.

Emitan

Oh hey, you guys should all learn Korean. Its super fun! And apparently the hallyu wave has hit the west for real now! Erm. I just thought I'd take the opportunity to say it because more people should study Korean... and erm... gangnam style.

But I have to learn Japanese first!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I have many many languages on my list.

Korean isn't one of them, sorry. :O

*is boring and only interested in Indo-European languages because that's the area she wants to study*

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I know Indonesian and two European languages!

Yeah I know Indonesian is an Austronesian language, not an Indo-European

I only know one and two parts European languages. D: I need to work on that. But there are also so many other non-European ones that look interesting. :eek: *gotta learn 'em all*

Good luck on the dress contest. #notstalking

:O

The dress is great. I hope I get it because it's awesome and I have no money for clothes right now.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Wait...so now we are hating on Korean. Come on guys. Thought you were my friends.

Jot Ga e gay say key ya

I kind of know what that is because my best friend speaks Korean. D: That's not very nice!

I don't hate Korean I swear. But there are too many languages out there. :O

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Privacy shit: ShockingAlberto & CrudeDiatribe can see everyone's registration details. Additionally, this information will be disclosed with your santa. Please PM one of us on GAF if you're concerned about creeps. This database is hosted by Dreamhost in California, USA.
D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom