• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The thing about art:

Talent only makes it EASIER but lacking it is not a barrier to success. Those who lack it tend to give up easier, failing before they've really given it their all.

And talent or no talent it still requires WORK. LOTS OF IT. This is a thing that people don't seem to realize with art is just how much work it takes to become decent. You have to train yourself to see and move in a new way and it's HARD. But you can do it through perseverance and effort. Lots of it. Every day for hours. You can't just draw once and awhile and decide you aren't any good at it. It simply doesn't work that way.

I have talent, yes, but my first efforts were awful too. I have probably spent nearly as many hours being unsatisfied with my art as I have spent drawing it. But there are those few moments, where you realize you've CREATED something. And it doesn't matter how good or bad it is on an objective scale. You've CREATED something. And that in itself is amazing.

No it won't be easy, but you CAN do it.

Acid08

Banned
Of course it won't be very good, but that's to be expected. Nobody is an expert when they start something; you learn by doing.

I totally get it but I feel like a total failure if I don't nail something the first time I do it. Also something we're talking about.

The thing about art:

Talent only makes it EASIER but lacking it is not a barrier to success. Those who lack it tend to give up easier, failing before they've really given it their all.

And talent or no talent it still requires WORK. LOTS OF IT. This is a thing that people don't seem to realize with art is just how much work it takes to become decent. You have to train yourself to see and move in a new way and it's HARD. But you can do it through perseverance and effort. Lots of it. Every day for hours. You can't just draw once and awhile and decide you aren't any good at it. It simply doesn't work that way.

I have talent, yes, but my first efforts were awful too. I have probably spent nearly as many hours being unsatisfied with my art as I have spent drawing it. But there are those few moments, where you realize you've CREATED something. And it doesn't matter how good or bad it is on an objective scale. You've CREATED something. And that in itself is amazing.

Thanks Lissar, you're the coolest :').

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The thing about art:

I suppose I can echo this, but not out of a belief that I could actually get good at visual arts :p I just know the exact feeling you're espousing when it comes to musical talent; I've sat with people I KNOW could become great, but they just got incredibly discouraged all the time as it didn't come as naturally to them.

zon

Therapy has been going quite well, my therapist is super great. First one I feel like I can be entirely honest around.

We're finally getting into my desire to be an artist despite how terrible I am at art in general. It's the one thing I've thought about doing for a living my entire life. So now she wants me to draw something for her based on my interests in life. I'm scared it'll be shitty :< but I'm starting it at some point today.

How long have you been going to therapy?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I could probably be decent at math if I put in the effort, but the pain is not worth the gain in that area for me. :p

I totally get it but I feel like a total failure if I don't nail something the first time I do it. Also something we're talking about.

It's a very common trait. I was fortunate to start playing guitar at a young age and I think this made me learn the necessity of work.

zon

Every week for about three months.

I've seen four in my life starting at 14.

I've been seeing a therapist for over 4½ years now so I know it can be rough. I clicked almost immediately with the first therapist I got to talk to, in that respect I was lucky I suppose. It didn't take many weeks before I felt she understood me whenever we met.

I'm slowly, but surely, dealing with the problems I've developed so I know in a way that one day I won't have these problems anymore. I hope you're able to do the same.

.la1n

gDXZp.jpg

Business party for my new career with Amerilife. Lucky to have bounced back as quick as I did. Didn't even have to use Dave as a reference :) that's me on the right for those who aren't familiar.

Real happy right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SoFla realgaf, um, I can't believe I'm saying these words, but: Facebook is Down, if any of you see this post the details here?

ZeroRay

Nah ain't no spies here.
No one comes to OT Community.

9PM @

Duffy's Sports Bar & Grill
3969 N.E. 163rd Street
North Miami Beach

leadbelly

Banned
Glad to hear that la1n. Good luck with your new job.

I was just thinking about Crysis 2. I have the exact same criticisms with Crysis 2 I had with Crysis 1. That seems a bit odd considering it is more linear.

With Crysis 1 you had this huge, beautiful open world to play in. The problem I had with it though, was that it just seemed like you were going from one area on the map to another and doing basically the same thing. Crysis 1 mainly consisted of going to some camp and killing a bunch of soldiers. For large parts of the game there was very little variety in enemies, and because it was mainly an open world environment, it was less focused on set pieces. So basically you went from one side of the map to kill a bunch of soldiers in a camp, to another side of the map to kill bunch of soldiers in a camp. And the purpose of going from one side of the map to the other was the typical military operation rubbish. "You've got to infiltrate the camp and release the hostage...blah blah blah". It just becomes instantly forgettable that shit.

Looking back on the game, all I can remember of it is this:

"You need to go to this location and... blah blah blah"

"Get your ass off to this location soldier!"

"It is crucial you make it to this location..."

That's the game! I just find it funny that I think exactly the same thing about Crysis 2. All I can remember of the story and missions is "go to this location...blah blah blah" and then just shooting a bunch of soldiers. lol

The thing about art:

P6AsM.gif

.la1n

Thank you guys it feels great to have fresh start in a new type of business, they don't throw half bad parties either ;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Congrats la1n :D

So Pau is very pretty in person but mean and possibly a serial killer. Also she hasn't beat Demon's Souls so I don't know if I can trust her.

Acid08

Banned

So Pau is very pretty in person but mean and possibly a serial killer. Also she hasn't beat Demon's Souls so I don't know if I can trust her.
Pau is a total jerk huh? Saw that coming.

seriously, I did.

Sorry pau, you the best ;P

Pau

Well, I guess two out of three isn't bad. (Which two is it? D:)
She reminds me of my brother-in-law's sister.
Your brother-in-law's sister hasn't beaten Demon's Souls either?
Pau is a total jerk huh? Saw that coming.

seriously, I did.

Sorry pau, you the best ;P
I thought we were bros. :C There was a distinct lack of comic and batman talk at the table. Maybe I'd be nicer if that wasn't the case!
Same, I feel like I aced this one too. I was awkwardly the first one to turn in the exam, which made me both proud and incredibly paranoid I missed something :x.
Oh that can definitely feel awkward when it happens but I'm sure you were very prepared and did amazingly! :)

Acid08

Banned
Shit....that reminds me I still have to start the new 52 :O

Batman is the best series to jump into man, the first arc is amazing, long, and completely original.

DC is the absolute worst when it comes to releasing trades though. The second one doesn't come out until March, almost a year after the first one came out.

ZeroRay

I can confirm Pau definitely tried to kill me.

Edit: Also, three Bengali dudes in my friends list have a birthday this week. Including our own ShockingAlberto!

Top Bottom