• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend music to me. I'll give everything posted a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

I listened to music growing up, but I feel I never music speak to me like I've heard others describe. This never concerned me until recently when I began believing that many people partly define themselves by the music they like. With me, I often times don't bring up music in a conversation because I feel people will just laugh at me. I suppose that's some holdover fear from my childhood.

I envy people having such a relationship with music. People can talk ages about music, where I can talk about games and movies somewhat with the same energy but that's nowhere near as cool.

Maybe it's too late for me to be into music like that since I'm 26 going onto 27. I'd like to get new music though.

Right now, I'm listening to Run the Jewels 3 because someone recommended it to me. I like it.

I like Sigur Ros and GSY!BE but that taste in music formed back in middle school and I guess it hasn't progressed since then. I got to see GSY!BE live about a year ago and that was awesome.

That old Assassin's Creed Revelations trailer with Woodkid got me into his music, though I only listen to a few of his pieces. Mostly it's boring. But the stuff that isn't boring is kind of a weird epic feel.

A friend of mine has me listening to Nightwave and I dig them.

I liked My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Graduation, but I didn't like The Life of Pablo aside from that one song that was basically Panda.

I got into Jay Electronica because of that one Boondocks commercial.

RJD2 is pretty cool. As well as Future.

So yeah, basically garbage. I hate talking about music. Everyone's an asshole about it and I never had a reason to get into any seriously.

Matty77

My two all time favorite albums are White Zombie's La Sexorcisto:devil music vol.1 and The Cure's Disintergration.

I love music but it's an opinion thing so talking about it depends on who you are talking too, and personaly I don't care what people think of my taste and I never attack others over it. I may point out I don't like what they like but life's too short to really care, as long as people enjoy some kind of music it's all good.

Hounds_of_love.jpg

Kate Bush's Hounds of Love I love Side B "Ninth Wave"

Björk-Debut-1993.png

Björk's Debut

Bjork_Post.png

Björk's Post

PattiSmithHorses.jpg

Patti Smith's Horses

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

besada

Banned
1 Giant Leap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlZKaMO3NtY

"It features contributions from Dennis Hopper, Kurt Vonnegut, Michael Stipe, Robbie Williams, Eddi Reader, Tom Robbins, Brian Eno, Baaba Maal, Speech, Asha Bhosle, Neneh Cherry, Anita Roddick, Michael Franti, Zap Mama, and other artists and authors. The band's theme for the project is "Unity Through Diversity".

It's an album compiled through six months of traveling the world and recording artists from every imaginable source, So on one track you're likely to hear western singers, African drums, strings from Asia, etc. Wonderfully diverse, astonishingly beautiful, funny, and humane.

If you don't find at least one artist to fall in love with here, I dunno how to help you.

smisk

The World Is A Beutiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die - Whenever, If Ever

One of those albums that deserves to be listened to back to front.

theWB27

More people should listen to Purity Ring. Both releases.

I'll throw in my favorite artist Alanis Morisette. Feast on Scraps has my favorite song by her in this one which is called Purgatorying.

Metalmarc

I love metal and rock, i love music brutal and fast but i am very closed minded i hate most pop, dance, techno, rap, techno etc

However as i reach my mid 30's i feel like i slowly want to get in to Blues music, it's the Roots of Rock and Metal afterall.

I fucking hate chart music, stuff like Beyonce, Daft Punk etc and i would have made fun of people for listening to this stuff when i was younger, i still cringe at this stuff shaking my head at artists like Kanye West etc,

but do you know what? It's your life OP, listen to whatever the fuck you want to even if people take the mick, at the end of the day life is boring without music, and i will even take shit music over no music, as background noise as much as i hate it, if it gets played at work, the 80's stuff is way better than 90's and more modern pop etc. I'd rather be forced to listen to Duran Duran and Flock of Segulls than the 90's boy and girl groups anyday.

However speaking of Daft Punk earlier, i actually like their Tron Album, this is a confession of mine, because of the Cyberpunky feel to it (10 yrs ago i would have said i fucking hate it, but it's allright) i still dont like their other stuff but ya know, progression and all that.

Metalmarc

1 Giant Leap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlZKaMO3NtY

"It features contributions from Dennis Hopper, Kurt Vonnegut, Michael Stipe, Robbie Williams, Eddi Reader, Tom Robbins, Brian Eno, Baaba Maal, Speech, Asha Bhosle, Neneh Cherry, Anita Roddick, Michael Franti, Zap Mama, and other artists and authors. The band's theme for the project is "Unity Through Diversity".

It's an album compiled through six months of traveling the world and recording artists from every imaginable source, So on one track you're likely to hear western singers, African drums, strings from Asia, etc. Wonderfully diverse, astonishingly beautiful, funny, and humane.

If you don't find at least one artist to fall in love with here, I dunno how to help you.

Fuck i need to sub to this thread, it's late at night, got work in the morning but fuck i need to listen to this and it says something on the link about a movie too.

Venfayth

I like lots of genres of music.

I've been into weeby stuff lately like Touhou and Vocaloid, but it's awesome.

Akatsuki Records - Lovers
UtsuP - The Magic of Massacre
Maretu - Mind Brand

I like some prog rock

Protest the Hero - The Dissentience
Protest the Hero - Sequoia Throne

And some lighter expeimental rock

Fair To Midland - Walls of Jericho
Fair To Midland - Amarillo Sleeps on my Pillow

I like some instrumental guitar stuff

Joe Satriani - Searching
Buckethead - Soothsayer
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

And some heavier instrumental guitar stuff

Animals As Leaders - Tempting Time

I could go on and on, doesn't even feel like I've started, but give some of these a shot if you're looking for new stuff.

besada

Banned
Fuck i need to sub to this thread, it's late at night, got work in the morning but fuck i need to listen to this and it says something on the link about a movie too.

Yeah, there's a movie showing the travels and recording sessions. It's great, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom