• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

recording AVIs in MAME

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
How? Google is frickin' useless, they all point to older versions that supposedly have an option to record AVIs, but the option doesn't appear when I boot up the exe. :(

bjork

All I know is if you go "file" and then "record input", it'll save a file with the game's name (I assume you can change it if you like), record what you play until you ESC out. Then if you playback input, you can watch whichever file you like. But they're not AVIs, so I dunno, maybe you can convert them somehow.

8bit

Knows the Score
I remember an old version of mame32 that did that, but it was 3 years ago or so. I guess if you've got TV IN & OUT, you could loop it that way.

mint

Banned
There are several softwares that allow you to record whats being on the screen (and make them come out as avi). So when you playback input, you can record from there.

Ferrio

Banned
The software he's talking about is pretty shitty, you'll get horrible FPS for the movie... nothing you'd want to show professionally.

I forget the name of the software though.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm just looking to create a new avatar, and figured something gaming-related would be a nice switch from Famke, wrestling gifs, and FruitFucker 2000. fraps, eh?

mint

Banned
The software I'm talking about is Camtasia, and its far from shitty. Very professional and I have gotten fabulous results recording my kaillera KOF matches.

If you do purchase it, when you record make sure you keep the screen size the smallest you can. (if you are using hardware stretch on mame, put it to 1x). Because recording on your computer is very intensive.

After making the AVI, you have several options to compress it. I often compress it enough so its viewable, while making sure the size is small so 56kers won't have a problem watching it.

Before compressing, you can take out the game music and add your own, add title screens, and other stuff to make it nice. (Actually, you might want to use Adobe AfterEffects for that stuff).

Here's one I made long way back, if you think I compressed too hard, well..1.5 megs for 42 secs is not bad for that kind of quality.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res03res/kof2003kyuri.zip

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Well, I just d'led the demo version of Fraps, and it works with every game installed on my HD...except MAME. Cripes. Any demos of Camtasia available?

Top Bottom