• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Guts Of Thor said:
Has anyone else not received their $20 credit from Amazon yet? I usually get an email from them saying that it has been deposited into my account fairly soon after my product ships.
Sometimes it can take up to 14 days. Probably a lot of orders to go through.

Loxley

Big Ass Ramp said:
I love Giantbomb, but their quick looks rarely do a game justice.

Games like RDR are very hard to do justice in a 25-30 minute bite. If they'd done, say, an Endurance Run with it, I think that would have been a better way to demonstrate just how engrossing the world that R* built in RDR is. That said, I tend to agree about the Quick Looks, however 70-80% of the reason I watch them is for the commentary to begin with :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, think my game world broke tonight. Twice while riding in
Mexico
I had random boxes and a suitcase spawn IN THE DAMN AIR. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Loxley said:
Games like RDR are very hard to do justice in a 25-30 minute bite. If they'd done, say, an Endurance Run with it, I think that would have been a better way to demonstrate just how engrossing the world that R* built in RDR is.
yeah, I can see that.

I just got these weird flashbacks to GTA, specifically what I didn't like about any the GTA games. big open-sandboxes that seem weirdly limited.

it's hard to articulate, but I've never really loved a GTA, and I'm not sure this looks different enough for me. I might be treading old ground here, I haven't really been reading the thread.

Will definitely check out in a couple of months, though. The world alone looks very cool.

Dearthenon

Neo Member
If you park your horse over the corpse, you can loot without playing the animation. Probably to avoid crazy glitches lke your head going into the horse's body. If you're good with your horse tho it can speed up looting even tho you have to hop off and on.

Cday

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
Okay, think my game world broke tonight. Twice while riding in
Mexico
I had random boxes and a suitcase spawn IN THE DAMN AIR. :lol

In Armadillo there was a sack that spawned in the air for me. I touched it and was amazed at how realistically the sack plopped to the ground.

Zeliard

blehh said:
can you skin yourself and then wear it?

3523ckj.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Big Ass Ramp said:
Does this game have any collectible items(IE. mysterious packages/pigeons) like the past GTA games had?

Hmm...now that you mention it...I don't think it does, no. Never thought of that before.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thieves Landing is awesome, just burned a good 2 hours doing random minigames. I had a perfect game of Liar's Dice, earned $100 on blackjack, and cleared the table on Poker. :lol

I really like Liar's Dice.

sw33tclyde said:
I just found a white horse in Mexico, fkn sweet. Do I just hitch it to make sure it stays with me?

That's the Hungarian half bred. The deed should be available for sale now if you broke it.

Anyone know where the fuck to find some armadillo's? I've tried standing on their icon (map) with bait and still none.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Seraphis Cain said:
Hmm...now that you mention it...I don't think it does, no. Never thought of that before.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it either. I just happened to see a pigeon while doing a mission that jogged my memory.

does this game pick up in the fun factor eventually?
i did some bounties and some missions for the 1st Marshall and stuff...
so, does it ever pick up?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
gutter_trash said:

It did for me... I dunno.

stupei

zero margin said:
That's the Hungarian half bred. The deed should be available for sale now if you broke it.

Anyone know where the fuck to find some armadillo's? I've tried standing on their icon (map) with bait and still none.

I saw a bunch of out near the house that supposedly has a lot of water on the property. (Don't remember the guy's name.)

Dresden

Wow, I like how the 'upgrade' to Dead Eye is actually worse than what comes before. How the hell is tapping RB to place tags any better than rank 2?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dresden said:
Wow, I like how the 'upgrade' to Dead Eye is actually worse than what comes before. How the hell is tapping RB to place tags any better than rank 2?

I rather like Level 3. At least now I'm not accidentally slaughtering horses left and right. :lol

stupei

gutter_trash said:

I never understand comments like this. Not trying to pick a fight, totally serious. Most of the thread is super positive, with a lot of people really enjoying the game. If you don't think any of what you've done so far is fun at all, and most of us seem to, how much in tune with your taste is our advice likely to be?

I mean, help us out: what about it do you not find fun? Are you only hitting up specific missions or are you exploring?

Gravijah

zero margin said:

Shit, do I need to break horses in to get their deeds unlocked? Bah.

Can anyone explain how I keep failing at duels? I move my cursor to the guy and push RT a whole bunch. He then proceeds to make swiss cheese out of me no matter what.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dresden said:

Rank 2 is shit, you can't determine what gets marked so for something like defending a woman from a pack of cougars I end up sweeping around and her hand gets marked. With 3 you can use it as a basic slowmo like 1 or a controlled version of 2 so you don't shoot what you don't want.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Man, when you enter Mexico and
that song kicks in...
so fucking cool.

How does one get the tailor to like, do things in Thieves Landing? He is never there. And can you get like, haircuts and stuff?

Cday

Banned
zero margin said:

Outside of Armadillo and there's a shit ton in Mexico.

Loxley

Dresden said:

I'm still debating with myself which version I prefer, although I will admit that initially I was surprised they went from auto-marking to manual marking as an "upgrade" :p. I can see how it's an upgrade in that if you want to avoid the possibility of targeting something that you didn't intend to (civilians, horses, friendlies, etc) and making your shots more precise. However, now I feel a little more on edge when I use Dead Eye because the onus is on me to target all of the enemies before time runs out, hehe.

I guess in the end the positives outweigh the negatives and my complaints could just be broken down to me being lazy :D

thewesker said:
Can anyone explain how I keep failing at duels? I move my cursor to the guy and push RT a whole bunch. He then proceeds to make swiss cheese out of me no matter what.
Just aim for his gun hand. You'll win the duel every time and send the the poor bastard running to his mommy. Get a huge honor bonus as well.

Rank 3 is the best (for me), very economical in regards to targeting someone's head and moving quickly to the next, etc.

Thanks for the tips on the armadillo's y'all

Gravijah said:
Shit, do I need to break horses in to get their deeds unlocked? Bah.

I think maybe so

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Big Ass Ramp said:
Please don't spoil it, but does the game ever explain why the Government sent Marston to the west like this?

Haven't gotten that far yet, but I'd imagine so. Probably a big late-game revelation.

EDIT: Actually there have been a few vague mentions of a reason why, but nothing concrete.

-Mikey-

Whoever mentioned putting the SP minigames into the online portion of a game is brilliant. This would be the new Poker After Dark!! Get on it R*!!!!!!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Finally talked my buds into picking up the game, so I had my first friends-only free roam session tonight. I'm really impressed with how smooth the whole experience is... it's truly (almost) flawless.

It's not like it is "OMFG THIS IS SO FUN" or anything... it's just really laid back, kinda arcade-feeling. The multiplayer free roam just ha a good feel to it, since there's not really any penalty for dying.

We cleared out some bandit camps, but it took forever because we would fuck with each other as often as the bandits. I was B-taunting and hurling throwing knives at one of my friends practically the entire night :lol

We didn't even get around to doing any of the more structured MP.

So, yeah. Free roam multi is pretty much the new pinnacle of "fuck around" laid-back multiplayer. It's a great combination of 1) Free-form PVP in the form of killing each other 2) structured goals with bandit camps & 3) us terrorizing towns and knifing any NPC that gets close to us. :lol :lol

One Q - we didn't see any hunting challenges on the map - just the bandit camps. Do the hunting ones not open up until later?

I was looking through the guide on my TV today, and May 30th at midnight there's a half hour special on Fox called Red Dead Redemption. No idea what it is, if it's just a look at the game or what. But it might be worth watching.

One shot away from death and chased 1/3 of the way across the map over a $5 bounty. :lol

EDIT - I did nothing to get the bounty, just standing there. Glitchy ass game.

Dresden

Just got the poncho, I love Mexico.

By the way, does bounty hunting ever switch up? It's gotten a little too easy--even if the bounty's buddies chase you, all I have to do is ride around a corner, stop, and aim back with my Springfield. Even on Expert aim it's easy to peg 'em off their mounts, and it's a joke with Dead Eye.

Wow, just picked this up tonight and am amazed so far. I usually don't like Rockstar games, but the fresh setting and realistic, non-gallows humor tone does it for me.

A few quick questions since I'm only a few hours in if you don't mind answering.

I got the War horse code, will that horse respawn if killed as long as I hitch it?

What should I be spending money on early game?

Dizzle24

Mike Works said:
2. How the FUCK did ANYONE create a country on land that housed DEADLY MOUNTAIN LIONS OF DEATH
Seriously. You dont hear or see them until your horse is already mauled and the screen is red. They get me every time. But since John can survive 1 hit, I use dead eye and launch the fucking lion of death into the air with 6 shots of my revolver, skin the fucker and hunt for the rest of its family.

Dizzle24 said:
Seriously. You dont hear or see them until your horse is already mauled and the screen is red. They get me every time. But since John can survive 1 hit, I use dead eye and launch the fucking lion of death into the air with 6 shots of my revolver, skin the fucker and hunt for the rest of its family.

First ever one I saw I just happened to be looking right in the direction it came from and still it was on me before I could even react, luckily it over shot the horse and I killed it as it was circling back. Can't wait to try and kill one with a knife...

bathala

Banned
daddynorcal said:
At the start of every duel you should have the option to review the dueling tutorial text but here are a few additional tips for coming out on top in a duel:

1). Wait for your opponent to go for their weapon first. Drawing your weapon too early will cause you to fill the meter on the side of the screen more slowly

2). Draw your weapon by either flicking up then down on the Right Analog stick or by pressing the Left Trigger/L2

3). Place your shots carefully and quickly using RB/R1

4). It's also possible to end a duel in 1 shot by targeting your opponents gun hand.

R* Support
this really help during that
fake ass actor
Duel

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Dizzle24 said:
I have been lucky so far...most times I encounter them, they are attacking other riders :lol

Top Bottom