• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

eso76

Affeinvasion said:
Exactly. Horse and cows are stupid, stupid animals.

dogs are rather smart though. i accidentally catched mcFarlane's ranch dog on my lasso and immediately let him go.
Boy, was he pissed. He wouldn't stop chewing my ankles.

Speaking of which, I *REALLY* miss the possibility to pet animals in this game, and i felt bad when i had to shoot rabbits and coyotes. I'm not killing more animals in the game,
Actually, despite trying my best to be the good guy, when i see a hunter running after a deer i always try to save the animal by killing the man before he can hurt it. Heh, i probably wouldn't have lasted long in the wild west.

Pretty cool how they got a patch out to fix the invisibility issue so fast, they're serious about supporting the game it seems. Granted it was pretty game breaking problem as well.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how many missions are left once you get to (late game location)
Blackwater
?

zero margin said:
Pretty cool how they got a patch out to fix the invisibility issue so fast, they're serious about supporting the game it seems. Granted it was pretty game breaking problem as well.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how many missions are left once you get to (late game location)
Blackwater
?

Interesting ... I'd probably notice there was a patch if I could actually turn the game off!

Almost 14 hours in and haven't left Armadillo yet ... I'm sure I'm kind of close but it's just too much fun doing things.

I fast traveled once at the beginning to just to check it out ... haven't done it since.

I also figured out how to locate rabbits; If you DO NOT want to see any rabbits for 5+ hours be on the mission where you need to kill rabbits. If you want to see a ton of rabbits everywhere like Taxis in GTA then DO NOT be on a mission where you need rabbits.

Fucking rabbits.

Big Ass Ramp said:

My store had 119 360 preorders and 101 PS3 preorders. This is in Columbia SC, and we have a GameStop on every corner it seems like. Seriously, in Columbia and Lexington (which is about a 30 mile radius) this are like 20 GameStop's. The store I went to had the highest preorder total in the district.

There were probably 50 or so people there for the midnight release. That is the most I have seen since MW2.

Zeliard

Dresden said:
Judging from the crowd at the midnight release I went to, it seemed like the Western setting went down pretty well with the usual GTA crowd.

But I don't understand. The most powerful weapon in the game is a gatling gun. Why do Americans love this?

And we can't really expect this game to sell at all in Europe. What do they care about the American Old West? It's not like they've ever done anything significant with the subject matter.

I have been to 1 midnight release before this one and it was for the DSi. For that there were about 7 people including me while for RDR there must have been 25-30. This game is such a goldmine in terms of longevity. I truly hope there is a sequel in the works.

Gravijah

LovingSteam said:
I have been to 1 midnight release before this one and it was for the DSi. For that there were about 7 people including me while for RDR there must have been 25-30. This game is such a goldmine in terms of longevity. I truly hope there is a sequel in the works.

Expansions in the vein of GTAIV, please. Please.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
this.

I found this cool horse i wanted, so i jumped on it, but it's stamina was dumb low compared to my current horse. if i took this new horse and spent time with it, does the stamina increase over time?

when I jumped on that horse in front of my horse, my horse kicked me.....lol

Yeah, the longer you ride a certain horse, you'll gain more of it's loyalty (which comes with a stamina increase). Be careful with loyal horses though, they'll run past their stamina level if you ask them to and drop dead in their tracks rather than slow down like other horses will.

Played an hour of this last night after coming home from the pub. The only two things I remember are "wow" and "lol look at that drunk"

Nexus Zero said:
Played an hour of this last night after coming home from the pub. The only two things I remember are "wow" and "lol look at that drunk"
I'm sorry to tell you this, Nexus, but apparently you looked your 360 controller in to your mirror. :(

Gravijah said:
Expansions in the vein of GTAIV, please. Please.

YES! I know its a couple years away but seriously, R* needs to bring this to the next generation of consoles. This is such a beautiful game even with such limitations that the current architecture provides, I would love to see it on a console with a couple gigs of ram, more graphical power, etc. (assuming a PC version isn't on its way). I experienced my first thunder storm last night and it was simply astounding. God the game is so great.

UrokeJoe

I hope this game becomes so successful that like with WWII games, we will be saying "oh please not another western cowboy game!?"

G-Bus

Banned
Haven't put much time into this yet but it's a fun ride so far. Got drunk in the bar and had a good laugh at him stumbling around. Lasted a little too long IMO.

Long weekend coming up so I think I'll spend at least a night with this.

Gravijah

UrokeJoe said:
I hope this game becomes so successful that like with WWII games before it, we will be saying "oh please not another western cowboy game!?"

I never complain about their being an oversaturation of a genre. In my eyes, it's better than having something completely gone.

UrokeJoe said:
I hope this game becomes so successful that like with WWII games before it, we will be saying "oh please not another western cowboy game!?"

Well here is the thing about this particular genre, there is only so much you can do with it. R* has hit the nail on the head. Call of Juarez BiB supposedly did an acceptable job as well. It will be hard for other folks to create a game that is as good IMHO as RDR. But I agree, I would love to see others try.

LovingSteam said:

I've said this before, but I wouldn't expect a sequel for a long time. They've covered A LOT of Wild West territory with RDR, and making it was a huge undertaking so it's not like they can just pump another one out.

What I'd like to see though is a long period of Burnout Paradise style support. If they can keep adding stuff to singleplayer, and Free Roam that keeps people coming back every time there's an update, I would be very happy. Stuff like Poker, Blackjack, getting drunk, etc. getting put into Free Roam would make it more than just a shoot em up experience.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm sure this has been axed many times, but can anyone tell me the XBOX install size of RDR?
I need to make sure I have enough space for it tomorrow. 6.3...

Mr_Guillotine said:
Any GAF 360 games?

There are 65 members on GAF Read Dead (gamertag, no typo). Usually a dozen are online at any given time but I don't think they've played together yet. People still getting the feel of it

Gravijah

By the way uhm... I think I just got 5% more progress in 10 hours more time. I'm at like 30 horus and 19% done. :lol

Snuggler said:
I'm sure this has been axed many times, but can anyone tell me the XBOX install size of RDR?
I need to make sure I have enough space for it tomorrow. 6.3...

6.7 gigs

Net_Wrecker said:
I've said this before, but I wouldn't expect a sequel for a long time. They've covered A LOT of Wild West territory with RDR, and making it was a huge undertaking so it's not like they can just pump another one out.

What I'd like to see though is a long period of Burnout Paradise style support. If they can keep adding stuff to singleplayer, and Free Roam that keeps people coming back every time there's an update, I would be very happy. Stuff like Poker, Blackjack, getting drunk, etc. getting put into Free Roam would more than just a shoot em up experience.

Agreed. IMO one reason this game is SO GREAT is due to the time they spent on it. That is one thing I appreciate with R*, they don't put out a game of this magnitude every year or every other year. I for one loved GTA4 and I love this. You can truly see the amount of time they spent on the little things which help make the world feel so right and believable.

Meus Renaissance said:
I hear you can't use the Deadly Assassin outfit from the start? When can you use it then

I don't know since I didn't buy the game there, but with outfits they give you a list of things to do before it becomes unlocked. I figure for that outfit they'd all be things you can do early on.

Well I finally acquired the poncho. I look pretty Clint Eastwoodish.

I have a video of me chasing down a thief, lassoing him, hogtying him, throwing him on the tracks just in time for the train to miss me (i roll-dodged out the way) and splatter him....:lol After which I failed the errand but it was hilarious.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gravijah said:

Thanks, brutha. Looks like I'll have to clear out .5 gb or so, no prob.
That Halo beta is taking up a lot of space but I shant waste it, I'll find something else.
I need a new HDD so bad it's not funny anymore.

UrokeJoe

LovingSteam said:
Well here is the thing about this particular genre, there is only so much you can do with it. R* has hit the nail on the head. Call of Juarez BiB supposedly did an acceptable job as well. It will be hard for other folks to create a game that is as good IMHO as RDR. But I agree, I would love to see others try.

I enjoyed that one as well as the first one. I'm only a few hrs in RDR, but I can certainly see they have raised the bar, and I guess that is my point. I would like to see it raised even higher. Even if I'm really enjoying what I have seen so far.

Good stuff!

Gravijah

Guys, there's going to be a RD3. Seriously. With how well received this game is, with how well it seems to be selling... a sequel is a foregone conclusion.

UrokeJoe said:
I enjoyed that one as well as the first one. I'm only a few hrs in RDR, but I can certainly see they have raised the bar, and I guess that is my point. I would like to see it raised even higher. Even if I'm really enjoying what I have seen so far.

Good stuff!

Yea man. People who say this gen has sucked make me laugh. This is just another cap to place on the hat rack of great games this generation.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You bastards are already talking about RDR3 and I haven't even played RDR1/RD2 yet.
Dammit. You were supposed to wait...

Haha just got a reward for being so honorable.

You know you're a do-gooder when a freaking nun chases you down to give you a blessed cross just because of how nice you are

Gravijah

I think this is going to be the very first game I ever buy DLC for. Mind you, it's the first time I've ever had internet near my systems either. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just got into Mexico. Nice song. It pretty much made me use the code to download the soundtrack. Spent some time clearing out some hideouts too. Anyone find any safes anywhere besides (hideout spoiler)
the Social Club mission one? Gutsomething Breach
?

HadesGigas said:
Haha just got a reward for being so honorable.

You know you're a do-gooder when a freaking nun chases you down to give you a blessed cross just because of how nice you are

that's a good item
it helps to make the guy's shooting you miss more

If anyone could spare a War Horse code I'd appreciate one, thanks :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LovingSteam said:
Who is that in your avatar? Is it from 4400?

It's a Lost avatar, I Lost'd myself in honor of the finale this weekend.
If you aren't familiar, it's Daniel Faraday, scientist, snuggling with his beloved rat Elloise.

BeeDog

For the Swedish PS3 buyers, have you gotten your preorders shipped? I'm afraid they won't have any PS3 copies available today, and I'd kill to play this game during the weekend. :(

TTG

Rez said:
yeah, I can see that.

I just got these weird flashbacks to GTA, specifically what I didn't like about any the GTA games. big open-sandboxes that seem weirdly limited.

it's hard to articulate, but I've never really loved a GTA, and I'm not sure this looks different enough for me. I might be treading old ground here, I haven't really been reading the thread.

Will definitely check out in a couple of months, though. The world alone looks very cool.

The thing about GTAIV is that while it's an open world game there are not many permanent ways to interact with the world... what I guess I would call "RPG" elements. Besides your arsenal, 15 minutes from the third hour of GTA play exactly the same as 15 minutes 40 hours in. Any interaction you have are instances and the game very quickly reverts back to the baseline.

RDR introduces a whole bunch of permanent systems that let you alter the way you play, sometimes at very fundemental levels. Even something as simple as having witnesses to the crimes you commit and a permanent bounty that you have to take care of make a significant difference. There are permanent side missions that the game keeps track of along with a much more refined variety of road side encounters. There are 14 or 15 "outfits" that you unlock once you meet certain criteria that have different effects as well. Something as simple as boosting dead eye meter or cheating at poker to certain gang outfits(haven't unlocked one yet, so I don't know exactly what they do. I'm guessing you gain their favor or some shit). Finally, crap that used to be only for the hardcore GTA fan(making jumps and shooting pigeons) is now much more fun and better structured in form of challenges that you level up. These range from killing 5 wolves with a knife to shooting a hat off a guy. AND off course there are the horses and.... well I'll stop here. :lol

All of that is just from first 2 days I've spent with the game. They've made a huge effort to make the player a much bigger part of the world as a whole. I love GTA, but a whole lot of that effort and detail spent on pedestrians and streets could only be appreciated by WATCHING it. I should write detailed impressions at some point about the huge improvements RDR makes over GTAIV in a lot of areas, there really are a lot of big evolutionary steps.

TTG

HadesGigas said:
Stupid coyotes tricking me into thinking they're wolves and wasting my time with knife kills to get that master hunter challenge done.

Set some bait! I've finally run into the challenges that will force me to travel well outside of the main beginner area. I've never seen a bear and maybe one, lonely boar.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The intro to Mexico is pretty fucking brilliant. What a great choice of music.

Just got a weird glitch after finishing a stranger mission. All of a sudden all the button prompts vanished and I couldn't mount my horse, collect flowers, skin animals - basically anything requiring a context sensitive button press. Oh well, it's late and I need to sleep. I just hope it isn't my 360 getting ready to crap out.

Top Bottom