• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GillianSeed79 said:
Just got a weird glitch after finishing a stranger mission. All of a sudden all the button prompts vanished and I couldn't mount my horse, collect flowers, skin animals - basically anything requiring a context sensitive button press. Oh well, it's late and I need to sleep. I just hope it isn't my 360 getting ready to crap out.

Not sure why you'd think your 360 has to do with it, but it's a common glitch.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
thetrin said:
The intro to Mexico is pretty fucking brilliant. What a great choice of music.

This!

From the moment I stepped off that boat and parted ways with Irish 'til I started the shooting lesson with Landon I couldn't help but think, "holy shit, that entire segment was amazing"

Gribbix

Anyone else come across any Red Dead Revolver references?
I sat down at a campfire where someone spoke of Bad Bessie (one of Red's targets in Red Dead Revolver) and her signature whip weapon. I'm curious to see if there's a references to Red himself somewhere in the game.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Yeah, the longer you ride a certain horse, you'll gain more of it's loyalty (which comes with a stamina increase). Be careful with loyal horses though, they'll run past their stamina level if you ask them to and drop dead in their tracks rather than slow down like other horses will.

It'll run itself into the grave? LOL :lol oh rockstar...

Teknoman

Gribbix said:
Anyone else come across any Red Dead Revolver references?
I sat down at a campfire where someone spoke of Bad Bessie (one of Red's targets in Red Dead Revolver) and her signature whip weapon. I'm curious to if there's a references to Red himself somewhere in the game.

There is. Some guy
early on at a campsite mentioned something about a duel between a guy named Red and someone else

I forget the specifics, but I know they mentioned him by name.

One thing im wondering....did the team that did San andreas do this game? cause it feels like it....or at least...i get the same great feeling playing this game as I did when I played San andreas.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Teknoman said:
There is. Some guy
early on at a campsite mentioned something about a duel between a guy named Red and someone else

God, that is so badass.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I have an extra golden guns code I'd like to trade to someone for either a war horse or the deadly assassin outfit if anyone is interested, just PM me.

360 btw, forgot to mention.

UrbanRats

Fixed2BeBroken said:
One thing im wondering....did the team that did San andreas do this game? cause it feels like it....or at least...i get the same great feeling playing this game as I did when I played San andreas.
No, it's Rockstar San Diego, former "Angel Studio" IIRC.
But ofcourse, some key people at RockStar North give them a hand.

Gravijah

Fixed2BeBroken said:

Nope, people that did Midnight Club, Smugglers Run, etc.

So I take it the invisible glitch fix was all done on Rockstar's end as I wasn't prompted to download an actual patch when I tested it just now. Either way, the room I was in seemed pretty stable, although I only got to test it for like 5 minutes.

One thing I really like though is that the framerate in Free Roam is solid compared to GTAIV's which got pretty bad constantly.

MercuryLS

Banned
So I just beat the game, end game spoilers ahead. Beware.

It was incredibly sad when John was shot up, he was probably the most likeable character that R* had ever created. He just wanted to live a normal life, but I guess that was too much to ask. I knew those shady fucking government guys would come back and fuck shit up, assholes. How they handled the grave scene was absolutely perfect, and to see John's son all grown up is awesome. I really hope that in the sequel Jack gets revenge.

One question, when you come back as Jack can you still complete some of the challenges you might have missed? Also are there any more core story missions, or is the storyline basically done?

Gribbix

Teknoman said:
There is. Some guy

Nice.
It would of been strange of them to mention Red's targets but not Red himself.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Oh, when does Horseshoes open up on MacFarlane's Ranch? Still hasn't happened and I'm in Mexico. Was hoping to unlock another costume which needs me to win there. I also want to see more of Bonnie. =/

Any other UK guys get rejected by ASDA today?, I went this morning and they said it was online only for PS3 and 360,Tesco sold out at midnight.Going to try morrisons now.

thetrin

Kintaro said:
Oh, when does Horseshoes open up on MacFarlane's Ranch? Still hasn't happened and I'm in Mexico. Was hoping to unlock another costume which needs me to win there. I also want to see more of Bonnie. =/

Sounds like a bug. I opened it up near the beginning of the game. Are you done with all of Bonnie's missions?

Tonza

Just got the game. They sent me Limited Edition with no extra cost. (I think the first batch of the game to Finland was all LE's or something)

But the LE itself is probably the worst one I've seen. Can't believe that they charge over 10 pounds more for it in UK shops.

thetrin

criesofthepast said:
Why can't I equip the Bandolier? Doesn't give
me the equip option. It's supposed to double ammo capacity on rifles and repeaters.

It should auto-equip.

criesofthepast said:
Why can't I equip the Bandolier? Doesn't give
me the equip option. It's supposed to double ammo capacity on rifles and repeaters.
it double the amount you carry, you don't need to equip it

edit: to slow

thetrin

Big Ass Ramp said:
So far for me, the RDR characters are way more memorable than GTA4.

Also far more likable without having to be wildly hilarious stereotypes. In fact, my favorite characters are the ones that play it straight, like the Marshall.

Zeliard

Big Ass Ramp said:
So far for me, the RDR characters are way more memorable than GTA4.

The original, yeah, but Billy from Lost & Damned is probably the greatest character that has ever come out of Rockstar.

thetrin said:
Also far more likable without having to be wildly hilarious stereotypes. In fact, my favorite characters are the ones that play it straight, like the Marshall.

Seriously. The Marshall is one of the most well acted video game characters I can remember.

thetrin said:

But the hilarious stereotypes are awesome too...

rdr_potw_irish.jpg

I wish Welsh hadn't died so soon after you meet them, boyo

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
thetrin said:
Sounds like a bug. I opened it up near the beginning of the game. Are you done with all of Bonnie's missions?

Yeah, all done with her stuff.

Ugh. Nice. So, I'm locked out of an outfit. Fantastic.

PowderedToast

DOBERMAN INC said:
Any other UK guys get rejected by ASDA today?, I went this morning and they said it was online only for PS3 and 360,Tesco sold out at midnight.Going to try morrisons now.
yeah i read on eurogamer that supposedly ADSA is having issues with the supplier and tesco predicted they wont have ps3 copies or something.

Just saw West Dickens take a piss after we finished a mission and he was standing around. Don't want to see that again. (Thankfully no little Dickens shown).

Tokubetsu

Mexico in general > New Austin. I hate the characters in Austin not named Bonnie and . Marston has the patience of fucking Job.

I rarely post. I have been playing RDR for about 7 hours straight. I'm still in New Austin, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of anything. Amazing game.

Never this generation have I played a game with such a huge grin on my face. This game might just be the Game of the Generation so far.

I'm serious.

thetrin

Kintaro said:
Yeah, all done with her stuff.

Ugh. Nice. So, I'm locked out of an outfit. Fantastic.

And an achievement. :\

Just noticed the Bandoleer will reflex if you are low on ammo. I was down to 10 rounds in my rifle and 7 unloaded rounds. I counted 7 bullets on my Bandoleer! Awesome Details!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The missions are going all shooting gallery, having me kill 50 guys each time, usually without any real reason for it, no consequences for it, and not particularly satisfying shooting involved with it. For example, at about 25% in, you're in bed with this West guy as he sells his elixir crap, the crowd turns on him for being a conman and you flee with him as the entire town gives chase, and you murder the entire population of the town as you're protecting him. This guy who just fell into your lap as part of the storyline and makes very little sense that Marsten is dealing with him at all.

The characters I'm forced to interact with on these vaguely relevant story missions are incredibly annoying. Sharply downhill after the Bonnie missions. And lately it's all of these characters droning on and on and dragging things out while Marsten whines and makes hollow threats. It cheapens him, and it's not interesting in the least.

Using fast travel more and more, now, since riding a horse through vast expanses of desert is nowhere near as interesting as, say, weaving through traffic.

Losing interest fast.

GillianSeed79 said:
Wow, just picked this up tonight and am amazed so far. I usually don't like Rockstar games, but the fresh setting and realistic, non-gallows humor tone does it for me.

A few quick questions since I'm only a few hours in if you don't mind answering.

I got the War horse code, will that horse respawn if killed as long as I hitch it?

What should I be spending money on early game?

I hear you, but it does have a little of it in the newspaper and movies (still worth it because the humor is more "looking back at how ignorant we were" type humor than GTA style).

Yes. You can also use the Deed in your inventory to spawn another if something happens.

Bandoleer, Double Barreled Shotgun (Gun Smith in Armadillo sells these), and the Rabbit's Foot (General Store in Armadillo) are your best bet. The first lets you carry more Repeater and Shotgun ammo, the second is a great close/mid-range weapon and good for CQC situations, and the third gives you a 20% bonus to loot. A Newspaper (you can get them from newies at rail stations for something like $2) is also a good purchase. Go for the Rabbit's foot first. I've never really needed else to begin with. Never needed extra ammo for anything but my shotgun, or any medicine or anything else sold by the Doctor. The Volcanic is a nice gun, but the Cattleman is good enough for the early game. Horses are common enough (but you'll want to buy the deed for a good one later). You should also skin/loot EVERYTHING killed by or around you, it's free money. If a pack of coyotes kill a settler in the scrub nearby, kill the coyotes, skin them, AND loot the settlers corpse.

One thing that kind of bothers me about this game is the economy. I'm still fairly early in the game and I have nearly $2k in money. Back then that was a hefty chunk of change, but the game seems to like to throw money at me and I'm lacking of things to spend it on (unless I want to gamble, but I'm disinclined to do that out of habit). The things I do buy are seem almost right for the times (wish they would've priced things a bit closer truthfully), but I'm freaking RICH for a bounty hunter.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
EviLore said:
The missions are going all shooting gallery, having me kill 50 guys each time, usually without any real reason for it, no consequences for it, and not particularly satisfying shooting involved with it. For example, at about 25% in, you're in bed with this West guy as he sells his elixir crap, the crowd turns on him for being a conman and you flee with him as the entire town gives chase, and you murder the entire population of the town as you're protecting him. This guy who just fell into your lap as part of the storyline and makes very little sense that Marsten is dealing with him at all.

The characters I'm forced to interact with on these vaguely relevant story missions are incredibly annoying. Sharply downhill after the Bonnie missions. And lately it's all of these characters droning on and on and dragging things out while Marsten whines and makes hollow threats. It cheapens him, and it's not interesting in the least.

Using fast travel more and more, now, since riding a horse through vast expanses of desert is nowhere near as interesting as, say, weaving through traffic.

Losing interest fast.
Quit now, don't waste your time playing this game.

EviLore said:

Losing interest fast.

Yeah some of the story doesn't really make sense or do anything to move it along. I hate that they never explained in the beginning the mission that John Marston is on. You gotta read about the game to know why he's doing what he's doing, cause it hasn't been shown in the game yet.

But man, the game is just so gorgeous and feels so alive. I don't care about any of it. I can run around in this world forever.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
MercuryLS said:
So I just beat the game, end game spoilers ahead. Beware.

It was incredibly sad when John was shot up, he was probably the most likeable character that R* had ever created. He just wanted to live a normal life, but I guess that was too much to ask. I knew those shady fucking government guys would come back and fuck shit up, assholes. How they handled the grave scene was absolutely perfect, and to see John's son all grown up is awesome. I really hope that in the sequel Jack gets revenge.

One question, when you come back as Jack can you still complete some of the challenges you might have missed? Also are there any more core story missions, or is the storyline basically done?

End Game Spoiler WARNING

You can take revenge right now. Just go to blackwater and look for a new stranger that appeared. Won't say anymore.

EviLore said:
*stuff*
Losing interest fast.

Funny how that's like the complete opposite of what I feel. The Bonnie missions were a very slow start (not that I had a problem with it), and the game really starts to pick up when you get to the heavy shooting missions IMO. All of these characters are great, and are already so much better than 95% of those from GTAIV. I highly enjoy the long cutscenes, and conversations as well. And am I the only one to not even touch fast travel in the 10 or so hours I've put into this?

As for killing tons of people, let's not even walk down that path. Hell, at least Marston's a cowboy, what's Nathan Drake's excuse?

Top Bottom