• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

semiconscious said:
am i the only one who either screwed up or never got the initial treasure map sequence? i'm far along in the game now, & i've either blown it or can't seem to trigger it? does it always happen just west outside of bonnie's ranch?...

screw it - i just went & got the damn treasure (& the second map) :) ...

imtehman

Banned
i'm really surprised at how much you can do in this game.

I feel like i've done more things in this game in like 5 hours of playthrough than i ever did in GTA4

Seraphis Cain said:
Just made it to
Mexico
, and holy shit at the
song that starts playing upon your arrival
. The atmosphere this game presents is just...wonderful.

GOTY 2010 right here, folks.

I know, I wish it wouldn't stop. Anyone found a way to hear it again in-game?

Oh and I don't know if you guys found it, but I saw a few pages back that someone was looking for the avatar awards. I've found two so far:

Sombrero - shoot someone's hat off
Black RDR on Red Shirt - Search the chest in the scorched log cabin in Riley's Charge

Any one know how to get the others?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Dammit I hate getting mauled by a pack of wolves when I'm hunting and I react too slow to kill them all and the last one takes down the little health I have. Then I lose all the shit I hunted :(

Spirit3

Anyone else having trouble getting online? Whenever I try it says I have had connection issues with the other players and it starts looking for another lobby and never stops looking. I played a few rounds before deciding to go back into Free Roam and now this is happening. Rage!!

Meier

My poor tamed stallion died when I was trying to bring a criminal back to camp. Bastard's men kept coming and my poor guy got caught in the crossfire. :(

Gravijah said:
I hope GTAV implements a "hitching" feature like this. Being able to keep a customized car throughout the game.

In addition to what you said, I think it would be cool if they also implemented the "whistling" feature for GTAV. But instead you would call a buddy to have him/her drive your vehicle to you.

Gravijah said:
I hope GTAV implements a "hitching" feature like this. Being able to keep a customized car throughout the game.
They already have one. There are parking spot in front of safe houses you can leave cars and they'll always be there.

imtehman said:
i'm really surprised at how much you can do in this game.

I feel like i've done more things in this game in like 5 hours of playthrough than i ever did in GTA4

That's what so great about it, while GTA IV offered many different types of missions you still really only had an option of doing a couple and they took all the side stuff out.

This is a good mix of things to do though, it falls between GTA IV and Just Cause 2 for me whereas GTA was a linear game in an open world (akin to InFAMOUS) and Just Cause 2 just has too much going on. /tangent

I like all 3 games but RDR is the game I've been waiting for. I am about 10+ hours in, have barely just gotten to Thieves Landing and have absolutely no desire to fast travel at all.

The fact I DO NOT want to fast travel tells me that they made an amazing game world.

DrBo42

Is it possible to target someone's hat with dead eye 3? If so, which part of the hat do you target? I can't seem to find it.

Meier

Damn, encountered some sort of bug where I can't loot any corpses including my dead bounty.

Actually, Y in general doesn't work...weird.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
deadbeef said:
I really appreciate the fact that when you have to redo a mission the dialog is slightly different so it doesn't get stale.

The ambient music is amazing.

Ok, I'm obviously drunk on the kool-aid, but isn't the ambient music perfect in this game? It never gets in the way and it only adds to the atmosphere. I mean it's absolutely perfect.

DrBo42

Big Ass Ramp said:
Ok, I'm obviously drunk on the kool-aid, but isn't the ambient music perfect in this game? I mean, it never gets in the way and it only adds to the atmosphere. I mean it's absolutely perfect.

It makes things like
the music that plays as you arrive in Mexico
all the more powerful. Pretty awesome.

kamspy

Game is fuck awesome.

Also, it runs amazingly better than I thought it would. Might not even hold out for the PC version.

Question. Does the game come with the usual high quality Rockstar full color manual and map?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just picked this up today. So far, I'm thrilled. I just wondered off with my horse and saw a man crying with a revolver next to his dead wife and then he killed himself.

Then I looted his corpse for money!

TheUsual

Gold Member
kamspy said:
Game is fuck awesome.

Also, it runs amazingly better than I thought it would. Might not even hold out for the PC version.

Question. Does the game come with the usual high quality Rockstar full color manual and map?

Yep. Manual is in color and the map is BIG

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wait, when I head down south can I not go back to the northern towns?

Kingbrave

kamspy said:
Game is fuck awesome.

It comes with a map and pretty nice manual.

FrankT

Wooo, bear down with blade. Fanfreakingtastic. Best hunting game ever.

Anyhow, I so wish it had fishing with it. With this open world anything is possible and it such a rare thing to see it as well. It would be the cherry on top.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
-Yeti said:
In addition to what you said, I think it would be cool if they also implemented the "whistling" feature for GTAV. But instead you would call a buddy to have him/her drive your vehicle to you.

Heh, the first No More Heroes did that.

mattiewheels said:
Wait, when I head down south can I not go back to the northern towns?

No you can roam freely.

Holy shit again with the rain. Must have heard my complaints! That's two game days in a row with rain!

sw33tclyde said:
I know, I wish it wouldn't stop. Anyone found a way to hear it again in-game?

Yeah, I kinda was pissed at myself because I stopped halfway through the song to pick up flowers and it just faded the song out :(

Fucking great though. I heard it during sunrise so it was perfect.

Gravijah

Hellsing321 said:
They already have one. There are parking spot in front of safe houses you can leave cars and they'll always be there.

It's been a while since I played IV. I can go, blow up the car and it'll still be there? I can't remember.

Big-ass Ramp

ShockingAlberto said:
Has anyone gotten their amazon gift card yet? Near as I can tell, it seems they stiffed me on it. :\

It took me 7 days last time I did this whole gift card thing. Don't worry about it, Amazon is trustworthy.

Gravijah

Big Ass Ramp said:
Is talking about
Mexico
considered a spoiler?

It's on the map, but I always use spoiler tags to be safe. Not a fan of spoiling stuff for others, even if I don't feel it's one.

Forgive me if its already been stated but when I attempt to input my code for the soundtrack on the website it says my code has already been redeemed. I never received a link in my email or anything. Is there any way to request a new link for the download?

DrBo42

Okay I have to post this for GAF to see http://www.somethingawful.com/d/truth-media-reviews/grand-theft-cowboy.php SA review.

The Pros: Amazing vistas that cycle naturally through day and night and all sorts of weather. Free-roaming, make-your-own adventure style game play.

The Cons: Empty environments, graphics issues, barely-there story, encourages violence against animals, racism, suffers when compared to GTA IV, and features a grating, one-dimensional soundtrack.

The animals constitute another big problem I had with Redemption: violence against animals. Every time you murder an animal, which is gratuitous but I will accept because this is a historical game, you then walk up and gut the animal with your knife. It makes gross sounds, blood sprays on the screen, and worst of all, John Madsen always has some quip. It encourages violence against animals and I'm just waiting to hear of the first kid who decides to shoot mom's parrot and then steal its feathers.

The game's soundtrack is terrible. I'm not a big fan of country music, but even I wasn't ready for the minimalist tooting and harmonicas of Redemption. One song, unbelievably, features long stretches of whistling. No, not someone playing a whistle, just a guy whistling. Uh, hello, Rockstar? Yeah, even back in the 1920s they had invented way cooler instruments than whistling, so go wild. Drums, violins, whatever.

:lol :lol :lol Are we playing the same game?

Gravijah

DrBo42 said:
Okay I have to post this for GAF to see http://www.somethingawful.com/d/truth-media-reviews/grand-theft-cowboy.php SA review.

The Pros: Amazing vistas that cycle naturally through day and night and all sorts of weather. Free-roaming, make-your-own adventure style game play.

The Cons: Empty environments, graphics issues, barely-there story, encourages violence against animals, racism, suffers when compared to GTA IV, and features a grating, one-dimensional soundtrack.

The animals constitute another big problem I had with Redemption: violence against animals. Every time you murder an animal, which is gratuitous but I will accept because this is a historical game, you then walk up and gut the animal with your knife. It makes gross sounds, blood sprays on the screen, and worst of all, John Madsen always has some quip. It encourages violence against animals and I'm just waiting to hear of the first kid who decides to shoot mom's parrot and then steal its feathers.

The game's soundtrack is terrible. I'm not a big fan of country music, but even I wasn't ready for the minimalist tooting and harmonicas of Redemption. One song, unbelievably, features long stretches of whistling. No, not someone playing a whistle, just a guy whistling. Uh, hello, Rockstar? Yeah, even back in the 1920s they had invented way cooler instruments than whistling, so go wild. Drums, violins, whatever.

It's SA, bro.

DrBo42 said:

Something awful indeed...

At least Marston says cutting th animals is disgusting and whatnot instead of him screaming that he loves it.

Be glad its virtual stuff. At least the game treats humans better.. wait, no, I killed 20 animals and 200 people... >_<

Stitch

Gold Member
i wish i could skip the gutting sequence. not because it's disgusting but because it get's boring really fast. i just want to loot the damn animals, don't show me the stupid sequence all the time!

Druz

DrBo42 said:

Are we on the same internet?

Maddog

Just finished this. It was pretty good but I just could not get into the western setting at all. I understand why everyone is liking it but it just wasn't for me.

Big-ass Ramp

DrBo42 said:

I think their reviews are satire.

Top Bottom