• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

PowderedToast

EviLore said:
The missions are going all shooting gallery, having me kill 50 guys each time, usually without any real reason for it, no consequences for it, and not particularly satisfying shooting involved with it. For example, at about 25% in, you're in bed with this West guy as he sells his elixir crap, the crowd turns on him for being a conman and you flee with him as the entire town gives chase, and you murder the entire population of the town as you're protecting him. This guy who just fell into your lap as part of the storyline and makes very little sense that Marsten is dealing with him at all.

The characters I'm forced to interact with on these vaguely relevant story missions are incredibly annoying. Sharply downhill after the Bonnie missions. And lately it's all of these characters droning on and on and dragging things out while Marsten whines and makes hollow threats. It cheapens him, and it's not interesting in the least.

Using fast travel more and more, now, since riding a horse through vast expanses of desert is nowhere near as interesting as, say, weaving through traffic.

Losing interest fast.
this is a shame, and exactly what i feared. GTAIV (and the episodes) had the exact same problem; contrived character motivations and poor mission design. doesn't sound like they tried to rectify it.

JMizzlin

So I made a separate new game save file for a buddy to screw around in (rather than buggering up my single player progress).

After he played a while and lost all his money to bounties and the like we saved to his file, then re-loaded my original single-player one. No progress had been altered, however all of my money was gone!

Anybody know what this is about? A glitch? Or does money carry over save files? :S

Tokubetsu

EviLore said:
The missions are going all shooting gallery, having me kill 50 guys each time, usually without any real reason for it, no consequences for it, and not particularly satisfying shooting involved with it. For example, at about 25% in, you're in bed with this West guy as he sells his elixir crap, the crowd turns on him for being a conman and you flee with him as the entire town gives chase, and you murder the entire population of the town as you're protecting him. This guy who just fell into your lap as part of the storyline and makes very little sense that Marsten is dealing with him at all.

The characters I'm forced to interact with on these vaguely relevant story missions are incredibly annoying. Sharply downhill after the Bonnie missions. And lately it's all of these characters droning on and on and dragging things out while Marsten whines and makes hollow threats. It cheapens him, and it's not interesting in the least.

Using fast travel more and more, now, since riding a horse through vast expanses of desert is nowhere near as interesting as, say, weaving through traffic.

Losing interest fast.

I'm with you, it gets better once you hit Mexico but West Dickens, Irish and the grave digger were horrible. So far, Landon Ricketts and Bonnie have been the best characters I've encountered.

Mik2121

Uhm.. did I encounter a glitch or what?..

In Challenges: Sharpshooter - Rank 4, where you have to Kill 5 flying birds from a moving train, I hop in the train, climb to the roof and start killing birds, but the challenge doesn't change at all. Someone else got into this problem as well?

I will save now and move my PS3 to another TV in my house (a bigger one) so I will try again in a bit, but hopefully someone tells me what's going on.. :(

Net_Wrecker said:
Funny how that's like the complete opposite of what I feel. The Bonnie missions were a very slow start (not that I had a problem with it), and the game really starts to pick up when you get to the heavy shooting missions IMO. All of these characters are great, and are already so much better than 95% of those from GTAIV. I highly enjoy the long cutscenes, and conversations as well. And am I the only one to not even touch fast travel in the 10 or so hours I've put into this?

As for killing tons of people, let's not even walk down that path. Hell, at least Marston's a cowboy, what's Nathan Drake's excuse?

I've done fast travels a couple times. But just cause I wanted to do a couple things quickly. But I don't think I'll get tired of riding around the gorgeous vistas anytime soon.

Tokubetsu said:
I'm with you, it gets better once you hit Mexico but West Dickens, Irish and the grave digger were horrible. So far, Landon Ricketts and Bonnie have been the best characters I've encountered.

They are horrible? Their voice acting is absolutely phenomenal. Stop caring so much about their relevance! :lol

putarorex

Great game. I just played the first four hours and some of that was just riding around and hunting.

One thing, though. I am playing the US version on a Japanese PS3 and the circle and x differences between input and the display is confusing. For example, when I shop the screen says press X to buy something but pressing X takes me out of the shopping menu. Its the whole "maru batsu" cultural difference thing. Even though they haven't completely localized the game its seems it is already partially culturally compliant. :D

Dries

So I'm hearing a lot of talk about bugs. How bad is it?

And is it possible to cross the map entirely on horse? How long would that take in real life?

Tokubetsu

VindicatorZ said:
They are horrible? Their voice acting is absolutely phenomenal. Stop caring so much about their relevance! :lol

They're just annoying and not funny as I'm sure was their original intent. It was torture forcing me to go through 4 or so missions with each of them. Having Marston go all macho and threaten them was just stupid...especially when you never go anywhere with it. All they do is get you into more trouble. I don't think it would been too hard to find the things he needed without them. :lol

Tr4nce

Did anyone read that first newspaper in which stood an article about some paranormal events in some town named Tumbleweed? People have seen ghosts there according to the paper. Is this a real town? Can't find it on the map? Would be awesome if it was true, otherwise fuck you R* for getting my hopes up and then squashing it like a fly!

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
Tr4nce said:
Did anyone read that first newspaper in which stood an article about some paranormal events in some town named Tumbleweed? People have seen ghosts there according to the paper. Is this a real town? Can't find it on the map? Would be awesome if it was true, otherwise fuck you R* for getting my hopes up and then squashing it like a fly!
Town exist but no ghost, at least I never saw any. You go there on a mission If i remember correctly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hope R* unlocks more of these areas for multiplayer. Thieves Landing, Fort Mercer, Bonnie's Ranch etc would make great maps.

JambiBum

_tetsuo_ said:
I hope R* unlocks more of these areas for multiplayer. Thieves Landing, Fort Mercer, Bonnie's Ranch etc would make great maps.

Bonnies Ranch is a map for multiplayer. It's called McFarlane's ranch.

I really do love the game except when I get mauled by fucking cougars while trying to collect skunk pelts.

I went to Fort Mercer to do the gang hideout mission for it and afterward I found one skunk. Killed it and then skinned it. Then all of a sudden 4 more come out of no where. I get all excited because I'm going to have that part of the challenge done and then I realize why they all ran out of the bushes. There was a fucking cougar chasing them. I shot one and then the cougar came and killed me. :(

I just got the 360 version and 2 hours in or so , love the game and the environments .

Just gave a man a certain paper with some blood still on it , I felt really ashamed also :lol

Tr4nce said:

To be fair, the same newspaper says tobacco cures tuberculosis.

Tumbleweed is a ghost town, in the "theres no one there" sense.

TTG

EviLore said:

Did you miss the skull or the hat? All that happened to me was I got into a fist fight, interesting. I gotta agree, West Dickens is the classic Rockstar mission character that doesn't seem to be important at all, but you end up having to spend a load of time with him anyway. Still, not as bad as this guy.

493909-manny1_1280x720_super.jpg

Ugh. I have waited far far to long around MacFarlene ranch praying/waiting for that random fucking event to happen to I can unlock that same outfit.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow Red Dead Redemption is fucking brilliant.

The atmosphere... riding through the desert as the sun sets, the way the horses shimmer in the sun, the horseback conversations.. it's so vivid.

I like pretty much everything I've done so far.

Seanspeed

Banned
VindicatorZ said:
I've done fast travels a couple times. But just cause I wanted to do a couple things quickly. But I don't think I'll get tired of riding around the gorgeous vistas anytime soon.
Nope. I still to this day enjoy traveling around in Far Cry 2 almost purely because of the beautiful scenery, so I dont think there's any way in hell I'm gonna get tired of one of the greatest open-world environments I've ever seen.

JoeBoy101

To throw out a couple of answers to questions I saw pop up:

To the extreme left of the map, near the mine, north of it you can find some wolves. Its pretty easy to determine wolves over coyotes because they are larger and MUCH more aggressive. Coyotes will run off if you get near, and will only charge occasionally. Wolves don't unless you kill several. And even then, they tend to hang back and come back in after a period of time.

Same controls as shooting. You don't want to draw to early before your opponent or your meter raises slower. You paint targets on it with the crosshair. The whiter the crosshair when painted, the more accurate the shot. You need to top the opponents' meter to win. Another way of winning though, and only using one shot, is to shoot their gun hand. Requires more precision, but nets you honor and an instant duel win. Not confirmed, but some have said that a single shot to the head can win as well.

Shooting the Hat Off

Two Things: Dead Eye and a Walton Boy. Obviously Dead Eye for precision, but Walton gang members use top hats. Bigger targets and the very tops of the hats won't have the target's head in them. To get the achievement, you have to shoot the hat off and not harm the target with the shot.

Haunted

Go time, motherfuckers.

Pretty sure I'll be branching out and exploring the West on my own as soon as possible, so don't expect any mission/character impressions from me anytime soon. Feels like Monster Hunter Tri has put me in a huntin' mood. :lol

Dries

For the people who have finished the game (spoilers obviously):

I accidentally read on the wikia that Marston gets shots at the end. Did I spoil the whole story now or is it not so bad as it seems? Luckily I got the game more for the exploring aspect, but it sucks a little.

Mik2121

Man, finding the
Desert Sage (x6) for one of the Challenges
is a pain!! :(
I got 4 already, but I keep moving around the area where it shows up and I can't barely find any!.

Tokubetsu

Is there anyway to cheat at five finger fillet? I really don't want to have to play just to get an outfit. Another thing I hate about R* open world games..the fucking minigames.

Tokubetsu

Also, I think my horse died but I don't know how. I just called it after a mission and instead being all white its got brown spots. ??!?!

I don't even remember taming a horse that even remotely looked like this.

Tokubetsu said:
Also, I think my horse died but I don't know how. I just called it after a mission and instead being all white its got brown spots. ??!?!

I don't even remember taming a horse that even remotely looked like this.
The only way to get your horse back is if you're purchased the deed for that specific horse.

Haunted

Fantastic atmosphere, good graphics (fantastic lighting
in Coot's chapel for example
), great sound. Marston controls much more immediate than Bellic, which is huge for me. Horse controls take some getting used to, especially with aiming on Expert.

Loving it so far, eager to play more.

Darklord

Banned
I just started playing this and was wondering when do you get the lasso? Is it early on(I just finished the ranch tutorial bit) or later?

Sew

I've been waiting a long long time for this game. Finally I got home tonight with my copy. Poured a vodka. Spliffed up. Decided I was ready. Turned on the Xbox. E74.

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
Dries said:
For the people who have finished the game (spoilers obviously):

I accidentally read on the wikia that Marston gets shots at the end. Did I spoil the whole story now or is it not so bad as it seems? Luckily I got the game more for the exploring aspect, but it sucks a little.

Nah, you didn't really spoil the story. Marston's death sort of comes out of nowhere, there's really not that much motivation for it.

Has anyone who purchased through Amazon gotten their $20 gift card yet? I got a $5 music credit, but not my $20.... I was planning on ordering SMG2 with that.

xero273

anyone else order from amazon get their $20 gift card yet? It's been two business days and still nothing. I just emailed them to see what is going on.

Nista

Voyevoda007 said:
End Game Spoiler WARNING

You can take revenge right now. Just go to blackwater and look for a new stranger that appeared. Won't say anymore.

You can complete any and all of the challenges needed for 100% completion as Jack. There is one stranger mission you can't complete as him, but I don't think it's counted for the achievement.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Darklord said:
I just started playing this and was wondering when do you get the lasso? Is it early on(I just finished the ranch tutorial bit) or later?

That ranch-chick basically serves as your tutorial-hub. After a while you'll get a lasso from her, just keep hammering those missions untill you can't do her anymore. I don't think they're storymissions.

Darklord

Banned
criesofthepast said:
I feel horrible.

Just killed a man playing fetch with his dog. Yeah, I killed the dog too.

This is the one thing I wish R* would change. Doing stuff like this has NO consequences. Killed a whole town? Slaughter a farmer animals then tied the farmer up and dragged him off a cliff? No worries, the character goes back to his good ol' ways in the next mission.

This game and all R* games should have a morality system by now. Hell, maybe even dialog trees and shit like that. At LEAST a good/bad ending so if you do gun down half a planet the game reacts someway to that.

Losing interest fast.
I'm with you,

The GAF hype cycle never disappoints. I'll give it 6 months before this game is labeled as shit. :lol

JambiBum

neorej said:
That ranch-chick basically serves as your tutorial-hub. After a while you'll get a lasso from her, just keep hammering those missions untill you can't do her anymore. I don't think they're storymissions.

I wish you could do Bonnie. Stupid Marston and his morals.

Top Bottom