• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

ckohler said:
Did you accidently take their horse by mistake or did your horse push them? I did that once and it took me a moment to realize I'd done it. The people are very touchy in the game, which is actually pretty realistic but can lead you into trouble easily.

"Hey your horse just bumped into me!!! Dieeeeee!!!"

The wild West was definetly a dangerous place :lol

ckohler

kyo_daikun said:
"Hey your horse just bumped into me!!! Dieeeeee!!!"

The wild West was definetly a dangerous place :lol
Have you ever been up close to a horse? They're actually quite imposing and weigh around 1000 pounds. If some dude started trotting his horse towards me with the intention of knocking me over, me I'd defend myself.

ckohler said:
Did you accidently take their horse by mistake or did your horse push them? I did that once and it took me a moment to realize I'd done it. The people are very touchy in the game, which is actually pretty realistic but can lead you into trouble easily.

I shot a thief with a shotgun and maybe a pellet missed him and hit a deputy behind him or something because I was suddenly wanted and getting shot at.

Same thing happened when I was trying to save a stagecoach that was under attack. I shoot at a bandit but some of the pellets hit the stagecoach so both the stagecoach and the bandits start shooting at me.

Aesius

Messypandas said:
The glitches in this game are usually so random and preposterous i can't help but laugh. One time near the railroad tracks and a train went by but left the passangers sitting mid air right next me. They just sat there spinning round bizarrely. Also this one, which i'm not sure is a cheat or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdCvN-ukRY

At least the glitches don't tend to make me pull my hair out

bwahahahaha! :lol :lol

Interfectum

Messypandas said:
The glitches in this game are usually so random and preposterous i can't help but laugh. One time near the railroad tracks and a train went by but left the passangers sitting mid air right next me. They just sat there spinning round bizarrely. Also this one, which i'm not sure is a cheat or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdCvN-ukRY

At least the glitches don't tend to make me pull my hair out

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Interfectum

I ran into this glitch on the mission where
you told the rebels were to plant charges then went up on the hill to detonate
. The girl up there with me was supposed to get into cover but as she was walking towards it i stepped in front of her to get to where I needed to go... all of a sudden she started running around in circles really fast over and over and over again. It was funny as hell looking... I just stood back up and pushed her down. That seemed to reset it. :lol

ckohler said:
Have you ever been up close to a horse? They're actually quite imposing and weigh around 1000 pounds. If some dude started trotting his horse towards me with the intention of knocking me over, me I'd defend myself.

The horses in this game have a crazy mind of their own tho so there should be some leeway (ended up chasing my horse for a minute carrying a bounty yesterday after it kept ignoring my whistles)

xBigDanx

Neuromancer said:
Yeah that was cool, but like a dumbass I jumped off my horse and the song stopped.

yeah I'd read that if you did anything at all other than ride the horse it would stop. So I basically just rode around while the song played out.

Solo

Zeliard said:
But... but San Andreas had a girlfriend system! RDR doesn't have that.

Ah yes, SA and its features for the sake of having features. Thank christ that mentality seems to have left R*. I remember the eating and working out minigames too. *shudder*

RDR is the best game R* has made by a country mile. And thats hard for me to admit given how big of a Vice City fanboy I am. But its true.

Manus

Their's so much stuff to do, I just spent a good hour just hunting and doing things for new costumes. A good break from being in Mexico.

Dizzle24

kyo_daikun said:
The horses in this game have a crazy mind of their own tho so there should be some leeway (ended up chasing my horse for a minute carrying a bounty yesterday after it kept ignoring my whistles)

Or when you whistle for one, it come's speeding at you at 1000mph and you either have to mash the "ride horse" button in hopes of succeeding, or run to it when it stops 400 feet away. :lol

ckohler

Dizzle24 said:
Or when you whistle for one, it come's speeding at you at 1000mph and you either have to mash the "ride horse" button in hopes of succeeding, or run to it when it stops 400 feet away. :lol
I love that, though. It adds tremedously to the realism. Horses are not robots, they're simple animals with minds of thier own. If every horse you called always stood completely still or stopped on a dime it would be silly.

Zeliard

Solo said:
Ah yes, SA and its features for the sake of having features. Thank christ that mentality seems to have left R*. I remember the eating and working out minigames too. *shudder*

RDR is the best game R* has made by a country mile. And thats hard for me to admit given how big of a Vice City fanboy I am. But its true.

I agree that RDR is Rockstar's best game - my only real gripe with it is that Marston still has that "errand boy" mentality like most other Rockstar protagonists where they mostly do random tasks for various characters instead of having more agency. I've only done a few missions in Mexico, but that template seems to have been followed for the most part. The gunplay here feels far nicer than any previous R* game, though, so the missions themselves are still a lot of fun. They also vary more than I was expecting (all the stuff with Bonnie was great).

Vice City will always have that special blend of character and music that Rockstar will have a hard time replicating unless they basically go back to that period of time and setting.

I did enjoy the GTAIV expansions, too. I found them far more engaging than the original GTAIV, with a very solid core cast of characters. I still think that Billy from The Lost & Damned is Rockstar's best overall character, and best-voiced, as well.

Dizzle24 said:

What you're supposed to do is run, and when the horse gallops alongside you, mount it and start mashing A and you will ride off gloriously keeping full momentum.

wRATH2x

Banned
RDR is easily the best thing Rockstar made.

I couldn't believe it at first since I love San Andreas, but damn this game is this best thing they ever made. Characters, story, missions, gameplay, overworld and just about everything else. I really don't give a shit about GTA anymore, I want a new Red Dead more than anything.

Sure I miss Revolver, but this is just a new beast I'd love to see more of. Make a new one now Rockstar!

*ending spoilers*
I just wish John didn't die, best R* main character ever. I know it makes a whole lot of sense, I'm just bitter that John had to die and Neko is well and kicking.

See Solo, I tolled you this game will blow you away!

ckohler said:
I love that, though. It adds tremedously to the realism. Horses are not robots, they're simple animals with minds of thier own. If every horse you called always stood completely still or stopped on a dime it would be silly.

I like it too, definetly adds to the realism tho when im surrounded by a bountys mates I do wish he would just come towards me

Darklord

Banned
Just finished the game.

The ending...whoa...whoa.

Also regarding one of the outfits, when it says in a single 24 hour period does it mean real time or game time?

peull

There's a sign in PlayStation Home that says the Outlaws to the End pack is out now.... I don't think so right?

SquirrelNuckle said:
Their's so much stuff to do, I just spent a good hour just hunting and doing things for new costumes. A good break from being in Mexico.

20aevb4.png

Wow. I must know her name, who is she?

eznark said:
:lol :lol

Don't turn uncle sam into aunt samantha!

That movie was awesome. R* should release these type of things to hype a launch

Dude Abides

Banned
Zeliard said:
I agree that RDR is Rockstar's best game - my only real gripe with it is that Marston still has that "errand boy" mentality like most other Rockstar protagonists where they mostly do random tasks for various characters instead of having more agency. I've only done a few missions in Mexico, but that template seems to have been followed for the most part.

It continues. You end up doing errands for complete strangers for no real reason. Why the fuck do I want to help this guy I just met
find his family heirloom?
It's a bit contrived but I don't find it too objectionable.

Darklord said:
Just finished the game.

The ending...whoa...whoa.

Also regarding one of the outfits, when it says in a single 24 hour period does it mean real time or game time?

I think it' real time unless the way I got it was glitched. I actually completed the one ones in New Austin first, but accidentally fell off a bridge into the water and died on the way to Mexico. When I continued I had already unlocked that outfit. Weird.

nvmnd. Guess it's game time. I still don't know how I got mine.

EYEL1NER

Just picked this up last night in a bundle of games from a guy online. Ended up costing about $16.

My quick question before I start playing...is there anything I need to know about Red Dead Revolver? Is is set before or after? Anything transfer over, even minor story details?
I never played RDR.

EDIT: nvm, Just read the OP. Excited to start playing tonight!!!

Have a new question though, the pre-order bonuses... Were they exclusive? Will they ever be dlc or did the people who didn't preorder just miss out?

Solo

Zeliard said:
Vice City will always have that special blend of character and music that Rockstar will have a hard time replicating unless they basically go back to that period of time and setting.

Which I hope they do someday. Im not particularly interested in future GTAs, but if they ever revisit Vice City, they have my money.

Really though, Im hoping RDR becomes their new centrepiece.

wRATH2x said:
See Solo, I tolled you this game will blow you away!

And I certainly paid for it :lol

ckohler

EYEL1NER said:
My quick question before I start playing...is there anything I need to know about Red Dead Revolver? Is is set before or after? Anything transfer over, even minor story details? I never played RDR.

Revolver was before this but it's totally unrelated, plot wise. The only mention to Revolver is a tongue-in-cheek fireside story you can stumble upon.

andyb0y

Neo Member
I just finished it last night and I must say R* did an amazing job with the game. A couple of times the game fooled me into think it was the end. I did hate how he was an errand boy most of the game but it made sense for the most part.

Now that I am done, it's time to finish all the side quests and see how many more funny glitches I can find.

denomes

lostxii said:
An expansion focused of John's time with the gang would be awesome.

I just got to Mexico. Last night, before I started playing I was thinking to myself: "Hey, maybe there are a few flashback missions depicting John's days in the gang. Wouldn't that be badass."

Based on your post, I guess that's not the case.

It would definitely make excellent material for an expansion.

I, like many others, assumed this was the plot of Revolver, because at the very beginning of the game (when you first meet Bill) it does feel like you missed something.

Zeliard said:
I agree that RDR is Rockstar's best game - my only real gripe with it is that Marston still has that "errand boy" mentality like most other Rockstar protagonists where they mostly do random tasks for various characters instead of having more agency.
It'd be nice in a Rockstar game to get to pick and choose sides to work for, with different outcomes.

Darklord said:
I believe it is in game time. I hear its a bad idea to take a stagecoach or fast travel as that burns up a lot of time.

Sh0k

Finally after 56 hours of playing I finish the game and with 100% completion. Wonderful, wonderful game ! I never got into any of the GTA games, but this game got me involved since the beginning.

Now I have some more achievements to complete :D

Solo

I suggest yuo go to Rockstar Social Club and pray the site isnt completely fucked for you like it is for me. If it works for you, it will show you what you have left.

Ramirez

Sabotage said:
98.5% completion, wtf else is there?

All missions, strangers, challenges

any suggestions gaf?

Outfits/Rental Property?

Skunks are found in Cholla Springs, near Twin Rock btw if anyone else is having trouble finding them. :p Do it at night as well, I found 3-4 in 10 minutes compared to 2 in about 12 hours everywhere else. :lol

Sabotage

Ramirez said:
Outfits/Rental Property?

Skunks are found in Cholla Springs, near Twin Rock btw if anyone else is having trouble finding them. :p Do it at night as well, I found 3-4 in 10 minutes compared to 2 in about 12 hours everywhere else. :lol

I just dont have the Bureau outfit, which you don't get unless you have 100%

Found out I need to do 10 more bounty missions though

bah, I need to take a break anyways, already at 100+ hrs

I had a great glitch early in the game where I was riding shotgun, I think with Bonnie, and our cart ran into a train that was passing by :lol The horses started riding up the side of the train a little and then started flipping out as the game tried to push the cart through. Finally the train passed and it surprisingly still worked afterward, but it was damn funny :lol

Ramirez

Killing the bear with a knife was a chore, but when I finally did it, it was awesome. I shot him in the legs 4 times and as he was charging at me I rode by on my horse and swiped him. :lol

Top Bottom