• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

elwes

levious said:
I think it has to be a clean disarm, no blood splatter.

I thought this too until a video proved otherwise.

The method I used to achieve the last sharpshooter rank was to go to Pike's Basin, ignore the farmer asking for help, and use the sawed off shotgun to disarm people. At first I was like "this is never going to work," since it has a two shell capacity, but when you use dead eye, it refills your ammo. And the "no blood splatter" thing went out the window since I was damn near blowing people's hands off. The first 6 hands I targeted with this method got me the rank.

UnluckyKate said:
I'm stuck for the trophie Fighting around the world one.

I knoked out a dude in EVERY saloon (7 across the world) but nothing happens. What can I have missed ? In Blackwater, everybody runs out, so I ended up beating the barman...

After you knock somebody down I suggest you check you Stats screen if the game has registered the knockdown. If not then you probably didn't do it in a saloon or you could try to knockout somebody else.

Loxley

To get rank 10 sharpshooter, I just walked around Armadillo with the Mauser equipped and drawn at all times, then when someone would pull their gun on me I just went into Dead Eye, targeted their gun, and shot it :) Was a bit obscure, but it worked the first time I tried it.

Definity

Title update coming next week:

Link

We are aware that there are still some of you out there experiencing issues with Red Dead Redemption, including multiplayer connectivity and getting the Mo Van Barr bounty. We are currently testing a Red Dead Redemption title update for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that aims to fix these and other items. Due to the unpredictable nature of the testing and console manufacturer submission process, we cannot pin down a very specific date and time, but we do expect this to be released for download for both systems by the end of next week. We can assure you we are working with our partners at Microsoft and Sony to make this title update available literally as soon as possible.

Once again, we thank everyone for their continued patience and understanding. As a token of our appreciation for your patience and in gratitude to all the Red Dead fans out there, we are also planning on releasing the Expert Hunter and Savvy Merchant outfits and related challenges later this summer for free. Please stay tuned for more details on that - as well as on the Outlaws to the End Co-Op Missions DLC Pack coming for free later this month.

Awesome! I wanted the expert hunter outfit all along.

The Chef said:
I came to a pretty shocking realization this morning while playing.

This game is boring as hell.
So I can only assume you were standing around in the desert this morning instead of doing missions.

The Chef

The Lamonster said:
So I can only assume you were standing around in the desert this morning instead of doing missions.

All I do is missions in a hope that this game will actually get exciting.
Ride to this place, shoot some guys, Ride to this place, shoot some guys grab this thing. Ride to this place, shoot some more guys.

Gun combat is like playing a childs game. Getting killed in a mission is almost an impossibility. If Im ever in a bind I just do my bullet time thing and take out like 5 guys iron man style. Boring.

The Chef said:
Ride to this place, shoot some guys, Ride to this place, shoot some guys grab this thing. Ride to this place, shoot some more guys.

Gun combat is like playing a childs game. Getting killed in a mission is almost an impossibility. If Im ever in a bind I just do my bullet time thing and take out like 5 guys iron man style. Boring.
The missions are actually pretty diverse for a sandbox game. Do you enjoy any open world games? Because all the other ones are much worse than this.

Oni Jazar

The Chef said:

Anything can be reduced to "do this, do that". I've found the missions to be surprisingly unique and satifsying which is saying a lot because I've become tired of the GTA missions lately.

The main missions appear to be failry easy, so impose some limits on yourself. Use expert aiming and don't use bullet time.

No game is for everyone. Personally I find this to be the pinnacle of anything I could ever ask for in a game. A fully seamless, living world with amazing graphics, sounds, and gameplay givnig me the freedom to do almost anything.

Beaulieu

The Chef said:

I also thought the missions were fucking boring untill the last tier of the game. All the side stuff I really like though.

Where can I find the Hungarian Half-bred?
I read through the last few pages and didn't find an answer, sorry if it's been answered before.

Bioshocked said:
Where can I find the Hungarian Half-bred?
I read through the last few pages and didn't find an answer, sorry if it's been answered before.
Check the map

Do you see that area with horses on it?

You can find Hungarian Half-Breds (white horses that do not look sickly) around there.

The Chef

The Lamonster said:
The missions are actually pretty diverse for a sandbox game. Do you enjoy any open world games? Because all the other ones are much worse than this.

I think my problem now is when I think of a new Sandbox game I think of San Andreas, and because of that I am destined to disappointment with these open world games.

Danielsan

Well I finally caved and got the game today.
I absolutely hated GTAIV with a vengeance but I'm really enjoying this so far.
Mostly due to the setting I suppose.
Have to say that the framerate leaves a lot to be desired at times (playing the 360 version). At one point in when I entered Thieves Landing I swear it went down to single digits.
No idea what caused it either.

Also is there or will there be any way to get all the pre-order dlc that I missed out on?
I'd really like the Deadly Assassin outfit.

Is the Outlaws to the End Co-Op Missions DLC Pack the only one we already know about or is there a single player missions DLC Pack coming too ?

I really want to have more of this game. I'd gladly pay 20/25€ for a big DLC like the GTA IV DLC packs.

DodgerSan

Chû Totoro said:
Is the Outlaws to the End Co-Op Missions DLC Pack the only one we already know about or is there a single player missions DLC Pack coming too ?

I really want to have more of this game. I'd gladly pay 20/25€ for a big DLC like the GTA IV DLC packs.

No-one knows for sure, but you'd have to guess that something along the lines of TLAD/TBOGT is at least a good possibility.

I have another question. Are the bounty targets limited? I have to bring in a Bollard gang member for the last part of the outfit, but my bounty missions are now mexicans. Am I screwed?

Man I love getting strange achievements without trying to get them.

Got
Dastardly
last week and
Riding South on a White Bronco
this week.

Good times.

I can't achieve the " Head to the south on a white bronco " trophy.

I got marshall on my back (I wait for them, so I'm still in the red circle) and $2000+ bounty on my head, I cross the bridge and arrive in Mexico but... Nothing.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
elwes said:
I thought this too until a video proved otherwise.

The method I used to achieve the last sharpshooter rank was to go to Pike's Basin, ignore the farmer asking for help, and use the sawed off shotgun to disarm people. At first I was like "this is never going to work," since it has a two shell capacity, but when you use dead eye, it refills your ammo. And the "no blood splatter" thing went out the window since I was damn near blowing people's hands off. The first 6 hands I targeted with this method got me the rank.

interesting, thanks

levious

The Chef said:

try playing with expert targeting then

UnluckyKate said:

I got marshall on my back (I wait for them, so I'm still in the red circle) and $2000+ bounty on my head, I cross the bridge and arrive in Mexico but... Nothing.

Just kill them while your on the horse, you will lose the wanted level and then the trophy comes up.

KAOz

Short bus special
UnluckyKate said:

Just let the Wanted-level disappear while on the white horse, while hunted.
I got it by accident. Got a $20 bounty on my head, teleported to Blackwater, still had the Wanted level up. Sat on the horse, and as soon as the Wanted-level went down, I got it.

You don't need to ride to Mexico to get it. :p

Vizionblind

Neo Member
just beat the game. the only thing that I don't like is
how you continue your fame and honor with his son. It just seems out of place since he didnt do any of the work

Darklord

Banned
Err, did my game bug or something? I'm at
Johns farm and had a mission from the Uncle. I went there and it said that he wasn't there and to come back later. I went to sleep, when it was morning I go out and the mission is now gone. Not even a "Come back between X and Y".
Is that bugged or do some missions do that?

Darklord said:
Err, did my game bug or something? I'm at
Johns farm and had a mission from the Uncle. I went there and it said that he wasn't there and to come back later. I went to sleep, when it was morning I go out and the mission is now gone. Not even a "Come back between X and Y".
Is that bugged or do some missions do that?
That set of missions seemed weirdly bugged for me.

I had to do other stuff and come back before it would give me missions

It would even say "Wait for this person to come back" when they are sitting RIGHT THERE at the X.

Solo

The Chef said:
I think my problem now is when I think of a new Sandbox game I think of San Andreas, and because of that I am destined to disappointment with these open world games.

Put down the nostalgia crackpipe, dude. RDR destroys GTA:SA in every single area.

It plays better, it controls better, its better written, its better acted, its funnier, the graphics are a fuckton better, so is the animation, there are a ton more things to do, mission variety is greater. And I could go on.

Oh, and its just flat out greater FUN.

levious

Solo said:
Put down the nostalgia crackpipe, dude. RDR destroys GTA:SA in every single area.

It plays better, it controls better, its better written, its better acted, its funnier, the graphics are a fuckton better, so is the animation, there are a ton more things to do, mission variety is greater. And I could go on.

oh I don't know, San Andreas is probably at least the best GTA still. And it was wonderfully written and voiced I thought. Thinking of that, can you cycle through targets while locked on in RDR like you could in Andreas? I mostly try to free aim so haven't really messed with that, but the gunplay in Andreas seems to me faster still.

ElyrionX said:
I just got into Mexico but I don't get this "moment" that everybody talks about with the song. When does it happen? Could I have missed it? Any youtube links?

yeah, if you whistled for your own horse or dismounted the horse waiting for you it won't trigger the song.

Don't see a proper video, but here's the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM62huzAdew

ElyrionX

I just got into Mexico but I don't get this "moment" that everybody talks about with the song. When does it happen? Could I have missed it? Any youtube links?

Solo

levious said:
oh I don't know, San Andreas is probably at least the best GTA still. And it was wonderfully written and voiced I thought. Thinking of that, can you cycle through targets while locked on in RDR like you could in Andreas? I mostly try to free aim so haven't really messed with that, but the gunplay in Andreas seems to me faster still.

If we're just sticking with GTAs, SA isnt even the best of them.

ElyrionX

The Chef said:

You don't like open world games much in the same way I don't like linear games. For example, I think Uncharted 2 is boring as hell compared to this.

Mayyhem

ElyrionX said:
Yeah, I just viewed it on youtube. I didn't get the song at all in my game. WTF.
Wow, this game has a lot of weird glitches. That sucks though, I remember that part of the game vividly because it was awesome

Roxas

So, i go to Torquemada to play some five finger fillet, to get one of the outfits, and i am greeted by this....

P1000920.jpg

The guy is playing it on his own in the sky :lol

Now i cant play him :\

Zeliard

Solo said:

But... but San Andreas had a girlfriend system! RDR doesn't have that.

Had something funny happen the other night while playing (this situation might have already been posted, so I apologize if it's redundant)

I was ready to head out of Armadillo, whistled for my horse a couple of times. I can see it coming down the main road from across town full speed. As it's doing this, a horse and buggy starts wandering into the street. My horse barrels into them full speed, sending both passengers in the buggy flying into the road. Unfortunately my horse didn't survive the collision, but I just sat there in shock of what just happened.

I've only been able to play the game in short bursts, but really digging what I've played so far.

ckohler

ElyrionX said:
Yeah, I just viewed it on youtube. I didn't get the song at all in my game. WTF.
If you call your horse, rather than taking the one provided it fades out the song. It's possible you did this before it could play.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I met some people around a fire and sat down with them as they chatted. I got bored and got on my horse and one started shooting me in the back and killed me. WTF? Did I miss something or was this a bug?

ckohler

I know most people hate
Jack
but I really like him.

It's pretty cool how much dialog they recorded for him. Not only are all the stranger missions available in his voice but the things he says everywhere are pretty clever. Ambient stuff like when a hooker walks by he says "My mom would turn in her grave" or when you skin an animal he'll say, "Pop, you taught me well." *tear* :(

The glitches in this game are usually so random and preposterous i can't help but laugh. One time near the railroad tracks and a train went by but left the passangers sitting mid air right next me. They just sat there spinning round bizarrely. Also this one, which i'm not sure is a cheat or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdCvN-ukRY

At least the glitches don't tend to make me pull my hair out

ckohler

DeadGzuz said:
I met some people around a fire and sat down with them as they chatted. I got bored and got on my horse and one started shooting me in the back and killed me. WTF? Did I miss something or was this a bug?
Did you accidently take their horse by mistake or did your horse push them? I did that once and it took me a moment to realize I'd done it. The people are very touchy in the game, which is actually pretty realistic but can lead you into trouble easily.

vhfive

ckohler said:
If you call your horse, rather than taking the one provided it fades out the song. It's possible you did this before it could play.
that's what happened to me. I never even heard the song. :/

It's not my fault that the horse in front of me was an ugly piece of shit and my horse at the time was a sweet kentucky saddler.

DeadGzuz

Banned
The Chef said:

This is the main problem with all sandbox games. You have to get into the world, or else you end up seeing the matrix and just doing the mechanics; shoot, ride, shoot, etc. I kind of get that vibe while playing, just don't spend too much time riding around, it is boring. If the story and chars are not interesting to you then the game will be a drag. I'm not sure where I stand with RDR, but so far it is interesting, aside from the racing or horse wrangling stuff. It's better than GTA4, but still not as fun as Saboteur for me, I was really digging WW2 Paris in that game. So much more vertical than the old west.

Top Bottom