• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

pedr0theli0n said:
not sure how much this counts, but I was outside of thieves' landing when I was attacked by some wolves. I was on the challenge where i had to kill them with my knife, so i hopped off my horse and killed four wolves and skinned them thinking "nice, i almost completed the challenge in one go." (because i think it takes 6). Two more wolves came out of nowhere so I was able to finish the challenge. Right as I was about to mount up and move on, two more wolves attack me, and so on and so on. I kept killing two wolves at a time and immediately two more would run at me. I thought it was pretty weird but just kept killing wolves and by the time it stopped (i think maybe I moved a little too far from my original location) I had killed over 20 wolves. Made some decent money off the meat/pelts from them too. Anyone have something like this happen to them?

P.S. sorry to pour salt on your wounds :D

That is how I make all my money. In only about 5 minutes, you can kill about 20 wolves, and sell their parts for about 300 bucks back in town.

SamuraiX-

Klocker said:
details please :D

Haha. Do you mean about how to do it or the situation where I got screwed? :lol

Well, to do it, you just approach an enemy from behind, while crouched and with your knife ready. While holding L2, you'll notice the camera locks on to the enemy when you get close enough. The problem is, it seems to have to be nearly touching them for it to work. After you get close enough, while holding L2, press R2 to execute the move.

As for my situation...

It was the 2nd mission after you arrive in West Elizabeth, from that Doctor McDougal guy called "At Home with Dutch." The whole mission was going so smoothly. I took my time climbing the mountain, took our the miners at the base of the cliffs with precise shots to the head. Took out the bear and cougar on the way up smoothly. Enjoyed the magnificent snow-covered environment.

I reach the top and find a perfect opportunity to utilize the rarely practical throat slit move on the sentry with the binoculars at the top of the cliffs. I approach him, try to execute, and Marston just sits there and watches the guy turn around and rifle-butt him. I then had to resort to a few lame slashing moves to take the guy out before he made too much noise. I really want to rewind just that one part. ;_;

SamuraiX- said:
Haha. Do you mean about how to do it or the situation where I got screwed? :lol

Well, to do it, you just approach an enemy from behind, while crouched and with your knife ready. While holding L2, you'll notice the camera locks on to the enemy when you get close enough. The problem is, it seems to have to be nearly touching them for it to work. After you get close enough, while holding L2, press R2 to execute the move.

As for my situation...

It was the 2nd mission after you arrive in West Elizabeth, from that Doctor McDougal guy called "At Home with Dutch." The whole mission was going so smoothly. I took my time climbing the mountain, took our the miners at the base of the cliffs with precise shots to the head. Took out the bear and cougar on the way up smoothly. Enjoyed the magnificent snow-covered environment.

I reach the top and find a perfect opportunity to utilize the rarely practical throat slit move on the sentry with the binoculars at the top of the cliffs. I approach him, try to execute, and Marston just sits there and watches the guy turn around and rifle-butt him. I then had to resort to a few lame slashing moves to take the guy out before he made too much noise. I really want to rewind just that one part. ;_;

Man, I love using the throat slit. I often try and use when people are holding up treasure wagons. Trouble is that as soon as you do it all enemies beecome alerted to your location and kill you to bits.

This brings me to my only gripe with RDR: Options for stealth. If R* worked on this I'd probably never stop playing. Ever.

oh, after that mission in Mexico where you're on a train, i completed it, rode over to the bridge over the river, decided to go back to Mexico to do another mission.

when i got back to the camp, the train was gone/invisible, but all of the boxes, bodies, and the gattling gun (which you could use) were still there, floating 5 feet in the air.

SamuraiX-

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Man, I love using the throat slit. I often try and use when people are holding up treasure wagons. Trouble is that as soon as you do it all enemies beecome alerted to your location and kill you to bits.

This brings me to my only gripe with RDR: Options for stealth. If R* worked on this I'd probably never stop playing. Ever.

Couldn't agree with you more. Not just stealth aspects, but melee combat in general I believe needs to be stepped up. I understand the the Wild West was all about shoot 'em up, but that shouldn't be an excuse not to put as much effort into your close-range combat as Rockstar San Diego did in their gun-play mechanics.

Mike Works said:
oh, after that mission in Mexico where you're on a train, i completed it, rode over to the bridge over the river, decided to go back to Mexico to do another mission.

when i got back to the camp, the train was gone/invisible, but all of the boxes, bodies, and the gattling gun (which you could use) were still there, floating 5 feet in the air.

Exact same thing happened to me. :lol

Mayyhem

Mike Works said:

:lol This happen to me as well

You know what was strange and oddly never mentioned again?

(Third area)
John running in to West Dickens again. I assumed he would start giving me jobs again, but he just kind of...fucked off, I guess.

ShockingAlberto said:
You know what was strange and oddly never mentioned again?

(Third area)
John running in to West Dickens again. I assumed he would start giving me jobs again, but he just kind of...fucked off, I guess.

Well, he was planning to "travel abroad" before he got arrested (meaning get the hell out of New Austin before more satisfied customers try and kill him, and push his narcotics to new gullible idiots in another hicktown).
So that's probably what he did.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just beat the game tonight, including the credits roll. RDR is probably my favorite open-world game ever made. It's the only one I can think of that I've beaten, anyway.

I'm incredibly glad Rockstar San Diego had the sense to check most of the trademark Rockstar silliness at the door, and tell an earnest, somber story. If *everything* in the game were identical, except it was filled with a "typical" Rockstar cast of stereotypes and had a more morally ambiguous hero, the entire package would have been greatly diminished. San Diego nailed it.

I absolutely love the piano tune that opens and closes the game (seen here in this intro video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51qjrsMj7pI&feature=related). It's rare to have a piece of music actually tell you a story, but this piece accomplishes it. That music + the accompanying images of the car being unloaded, etc. immediately cue you to the fact that the world you're about to explore is a world that's dying. It tinges the game with a certain sadness, that very much works in its favor.

I might have more thoughts later.

The game isn't perfect. Certainly not from a technical standpoint, but neither from a gameplay or narrative standpoint either. Yet despite these flaws, the reason RDR succeeds is actually very very simple: Riding through the countryside on your horse feels good. It feels right. Just riding around, aimless, purposeless, is pleasurable. And with that nailed, it's much easier for the rest of the game's planks to slide into place.

Brainboy

Karram said:
I encountered a pretty funny video glitch. Sorry if its already posted.

*snip double-woman*

Yep, I got this glitch too. First 'real' one I encountered, I think. Before that it was only John/characters/horses glitching through geometries, and stuff like that.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
For those who have beaten the game, be sure to
buy a newspaper. You get to find out what happened to a lot of the secondary characters in the game. Irish's fate in particular is hilarious.

Ramirez

Ok, where is a good place to find skunks, I played for probably 6 hours today and came across TWO! This challenge sucks, I found the raccoons/foxes years ago, but the skunks are holding me up. I'm also finding the game doesn't give you credit for disarming people sometimes, I probably shot the gun out of 10 people's hands before I got the credit for disarming 2 of them. :lol

I'm at 90.2% complete, almost there. :D

Just finished with 100%. My hopes for story related DLC.

Jack and Bonnie should hook up. She looked so sad when John left and Jack keeps saying he has nothing to live for whenever he's in a fight now. :(

bathala

Banned
REDEEMED! 100%

that .5% drove me nuts when I found out there's a stranger in the corner of Mexico
Damn Aztec Gold. At least Jack get to do another mission, and listen to him talk spanish

I would like to see Liberty Story style Post-ending DLC. RDR>>>>>>>>>>GTAIV

Barakov said:
Just beat it and did the
Remember My Family stranger quest.
It was a great ride. I'll probably go back 100% it later.

I was glad to see that Ross was piece of shit up until the very end. I was more than happy to put him down.
:lol

I don't know if this was supposed to happen but a pack of wolves came and killed his brother right as I was walking away from his camp. I put a couple bullets in his head just to be sure.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Ramirez said:
Ok, where is a good place to find skunks, I played for probably 6 hours today and came across TWO! This challenge sucks, I found the raccoons/foxes years ago, but the skunks are holding me up. I'm also finding the game doesn't give you credit for disarming people sometimes, I probably shot the gun out of 10 people's hands before I got the credit for disarming 2 of them. :lol

Tons of skunks and raccoons at night around Beecher's Hope. Other towns should have them as well; just make sure it's night time.

STG

speaking of stealth kills

I love to stealth kill the sleeping shop owner in blackwater
looks so awesome :lol

Searching for the
Legendary
animals in multiplayer with a buddy or 3+ people is absolutely HILARIOUS. That is exactly the type of stuff I thought the "Hunting zones" were going to consist of. The pure onslaught of animals you get sometimes, especially the ones that can take you down is super fun.

MORE ROCKSTAR, MOAR!!

Ramirez

Tempy said:
Tons of skunks and raccoons at night around Beecher's Hope. Other towns should have them as well; just make sure it's night time.

Hmm, thanks, that's where I got all of the raccoons, but I never saw any skunks. I'll try again tomorrow.

How the FUCK do you kill a bear with a knife? (Master Hunter Level 8)
I got lucky with mine, I saw a bear chasing after some dude and I just ran next to the bear and knifed him a few times. He was focused on the guy the whole time, and the guy was no where in sight by the time the bear died.

Go Dead Eye and cap its legs at least two times (total) with a rifle. Winchester Repeater worked well for me, though I had to go three to four times with that one.

AIMING ANYWHERE OTHER THAN ITS LEGS WILL LIKELY KILL IT.

Shoot it, then when it's down, rush in for the kill.

Dead Man

That one gave me so much trouble. I lured one out onto the plains, shot it a few times with a repeater, then stunned it with the lasso, got in close, stunned with lasso again, then knifed him.

Probably cheap, but it was the only I could do it.

UrbanRats

SimpleDesign said:

I don't know if this was supposed to happen but a pack of wolves came and killed his brother right as I was walking away from his camp. I put a couple bullets in his head just to be sure.
Happen to me too,
but in my case, i rolled into the water as the wolves were biting him.

Also is it just me, or is the music in West Elizabeth
really creepy
?

Good, so I'm not alone in finding this place eerie because of the music. I'm regularly expecting to see some RE dogs leap at me or to come across a satanist campfire when I go hunting at night.

some quick questions...

What are the light yellow areas on the map exactly?

Endgame spoiler: (question gameplay related)

Playing as Jack now but I lost my golden guns ! :-( Still have my War Horse though. Is there a way to get them back with Jack?

UrbanRats

BaronLundi said:
Good, so I'm not alone in finding this place eerie because of the music. I'm regularly expecting to see some RE dogs leap at me or to come across a satanist campfire when I go hunting at night.
Me three, first thing i thought when i got there.
Speaking of music, i'm happy they gone for ambient music this time, but it still bothers me the absence of music in cutscenes.

I tried a little experiment and played THIS piece, in THIS cutscene (early one, so not that spoiler), on 360(you can do it on PS3 too)and it's awesome, IMO.
I would do a video to prove it, but i'm not good with video editing, so just play the two vids at the same time, with the music very low (so you can actually hear the dialogues).

UrbanRats said:
Me three, first thing i thought when i got there.
Speaking of music, i'm happy they gone for ambient music this time, but it still bothers me the absence of music in cutscenes.

I tried a little experiment and played THIS piece, in THIS cutscene (early one, so not that spoiler), on 360(you can do it on PS3 too)and it's awesome, IMO.
I would do a video to prove it, but i'm not good with video editing, so just play the two vids at the same time, with the music very low (so you can actually hear the dialogues).

The internet to your rescue

Pumpkins

Question for those that have completed the game (spoilers!):

Is there any way to play as John Marston again after the game ends?

Gribbix

Pumpkins said:
Question for those that have completed the game (spoilers!):

Is there any way to play as John Marston again after the game ends?
I haven't heard of any way to do that yet, but Rockstar posted this image in the 'Quick Tip' news story today. The odd thing about the image is that Marston's wearing the US Marshal's outfit which you can't unlock without completing the game first.

Red Dead Redemption is the best open-world game ever released, without question.

The fact that I have never felt the need to progress through the game (completing core missions/tasks) proves the world in itself becomes the story.

My favourite game of the modern era.

Opus Angelorum said:
Red Dead Redemption is the best open-world game ever released, without question.

The fact that I have never felt the need to progress through the game (completing core missions/tasks) proves the world in itself becomes the story.

Yes. Absolutely. If this game keeps up to the end, it just may become my favorite game EVER.

Opus Angelorum said:

I agree. Everything comes together in a way the few open world games even begin to achieve.

knitoe

Ramirez said:
Hmm, thanks, that's where I got all of the raccoons, but I never saw any skunks. I'll try again tomorrow.
This is what I hate about game engine. If you see certain animal, the other type hardly appears. Thus, if you see racoons, wont see skunks and vice versa. Same way how GTA 4 handles drawing vehicles. I find it quicker to save and reload until the animal you want appears in large quantities.

FerranMG

Quick question: the only thing you can do with animal skins is to sell them?

I guess they sell for different prices in different towns, right?

I think I just completed it? Wtf I dont..

Why did John have to die like that? Why did the Marshall come after him? I'm playing as Jack now and there is no objective on my map although it says I'm 82% complete stat wise, does the remaining 18% count only for stuff like the challenges and outfits? Seems massively anti-climatic for the story to end this way.

Also, do you get the credits only after you get 100% stat completion?

Seanbob11

Meus Renaissance said:
I think I just completed it? Wtf I dont..

Why did John have to die like that? Why did the Marshall come after him? I'm playing as Jack now and there is no objective on my map although it says I'm 82% complete stat wise, does the remaining 18% count only for stuff like the challenges and outfits? Seems massively anti-climatic for the story to end this way.

Also, do you get the credits only after you get 100% stat completion?

Take a trip to Blackwater. There's someone you need to meet.

Seanbob11 said:
Take a trip to Blackwater. There's someone you need to meet.

Thanks, that makes things better. Although I wish
Jack's final words would have been more poignant. I would have liked to seen a scene where he meets a girl; a scene that reflects his father's love for his wife and child.

A good ending to a story though. Felt like a true Western

Solo

Up to 50.7% completion now. Rockstar Social Club is still irreplecably broken and says 0% :lol Fuck you, RSC!

Anyways, last night I played the most epic and awesome mission in the game, so far. The DeSanto one where you get the
sniper rifle and have to push your way up through the mountain ruins against waves of banditos
. So fucking awesome. Best location in the game.

DAT SETTING

SamuraiX-

Credits are rolling... What a game... What an ending...

Opus Angelorum said:

Well said, well said. The one thing I loved about this game was how fun it was to achieve 100% completion. Every little side-mission or quest felt well-implemented and fun through and through unlike, oh I don't know, shooting 100 random pigeons for no damn reason?

Nicktendo86

Brainboy said:
Yep, I got this glitch too. First 'real' one I encountered, I think. Before that it was only John/characters/horses glitching through geometries, and stuff like that.

Yep I've had the double girl glitch too. I must say the glitches are starting to get on my nerves... had two game freezes and various little bugs such as my horse getting stuck. Had someone stuck in the floor twice, also had another one last night where a horse was stuck in mid air, shot it and it fell to the floor.

Gravijah

Nicktendo86 said:
Yep I've had the double girl glitch too. I must say the glitches are starting to get on my nerves... had two game freezes and various little bugs such as my horse getting stuck. Had someone stuck in the floor twice, also had another one last night where a horse was stuck in mid air, shot it and it fell to the floor.

Why don't I ever get cool glitches like this? I don't think I've encountered one funny glitch yet. Other than in invincible shopkeep... that was awesome.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ramirez said:
I'm also finding the game doesn't give you credit for disarming people sometimes, I probably shot the gun out of 10 people's hands before I got the credit for disarming 2 of them. :lol

I think it has to be a clean disarm, no blood splatter.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, the last Survivalist Challenge is total bullshit:
Collect 10 Violet Snowdrops, then collect two of every other flower in the game.

Oh, the things I do for that Legend of the West outfit. :lol

Also, up to 92.8% completion. Finished all the Sharpshooter and Treasure Hunter challenges. Just gotta finish this last Survivalist Challenge and I think four more Master Hunter challenges and I'm done with them.

Seraphis Cain said:
Man, the last Survivalist Challenge is total bullshit:
Collect 10 Violet Snowdrops, then collect two of every other flower in the game.

Oh, the things I do for that Legend of the West outfit. :lol

Also, up to 92.8% completion. Finished all the Sharpshooter and Treasure Hunter challenges. Just gotta finish this last Survivalist Challenge and I think four more Master Hunter challenges and I'm done with them.

Found the Survivalist 10 pretty easy to be honest, I knew where everything was by this point so took me less than an hour to get it done.

I'm stuck for the trophie Fighting around the world one.

I knoked out a dude in EVERY saloon (7 across the world) but nothing happens. What can I have missed ? In Blackwater, everybody runs out, so I ended up beating the barman...

Top Bottom