• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Dead Man

BomberMouse said:
I finally finished the game, damn this game is glitchy, so many missions ruined by glitchs or bugs

- In many missions I just apperead as if the cutscene was skipped, like when Marston was captured and then suddenly I'm in the middle of nowhere being shoot. I believe Reyes freed me but I didn't see a thing
- So many floating points problems, through many scenes people were flicking all over the place
- When you have to rescue Jack from the bear I got out of the horse to skin the bear, Jack got off too and then he could get back, WTF, had to restart
- At the ending, after the graves, the camera was in a fixed position, I could move freely but the camera was fixed, not following me
- A big etc.

Great characters and writing, tolerable world but incredibly dull gameplay.
It's weird, I have had almost no glitches. Some weirdness since the patch with pop in, and once with
Jack in the final custscene having a doppelganger
, but other than that it has been fine.

Edit: Fuck, sorry guys. After bitching about other people, too. :(

Dead Man said:
It's weird, I have had almost no glitches. Some weirdness since the patch with pop in, and once with
Jack in the final custscene having a doppelganger
, but other than that it has been fine.

Fix your spoilers!!! FFS this is not the first time you've done this in this thread. Sort it out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
spoiler guys, there's a character in the final cutscene

Bliddo

Hootie said:
FUCK poker. I wanted the US Army outfit scrap so I had to win at Blackwater.

Shit took me 3 long, grueling hours.

The first two chumps were out soon enough, but then I had this one buster, Bunk Trimble, who just didn't give a fuck about my scrap. This dude was pulling straights and flushes out of his ass like it was nobody's business. There were 4000 total chips in play and they went baaaack and forth, baaaack and forth. I managed to make it to 2900 at one point, fell to 1000, moved back up to 2100, down to 800, up to 3700, down to 2100, and FINALLY after three FUCKING hours I had trip 4s and made him go all in. Dude had two pair and for a sec I thought that beat trips so I was about to flip shit. I seriously lost 5 years off my life from that game. It actually took at least 3-4 full in-game days to finish. The problem was I'd get shit pocket cards and he'd either raise before the flop forcing me to fold, or the flop would come, I'd have nothing, and he'd raise 100+, forcing me to fold. I was on the brink of a mental breakdown. But at least I got that fucking scrap. I wish I recorded my reaction when I finally won. Twas glorious. I ran to my safehouse, saved, ran back down, found Bunk, hogtied him, burned him, shot him multiple times with a semi-auto shotgun whilst burning, and then threw about 15 knives in his skull/torso. Then I threw some cheats on and went on a mega-rampage to relieve the stress.

FUCK you Bunk Trimble. FUCK YOU.

:lol
It was surprisingly easy for me, it took me about 15 minutes, they all had shitty hands.

Hootie said:
FUCK poker.

FUCK you Bunk. FUCK YOU.

9uyhqq.jpg

Ya don't mess with the Bunk ! :lol

Another strategy is to cheat and kill the first two contestants. Then again the rubberband AI on the final guy sucks, I took me a good 10 minutes to pull off as well.

Aurora

Do you guys not realise you can leave the Poker game at any time? Just start a game, go all in on first hand and knock 2 or 3 guys out instantly. Your chip lead will be so big that the win is secured in a few minutes. If your all in fucks up on the first hand, quit and rejoin.

I don't understand why you guys sit there for 4 hours when it doesn't need to take any more than 5 minutes...

Radogol

Aurora said:
Do you guys not realise you can leave the Poker game at any time? Just start a game, go all in on first hand and knock 2 or 3 guys out instantly. Your chip lead will be so big that the win is secured in a few minutes. If your all in fucks up on the first hand, quit and rejoin.

I don't understand why you guys sit there for 4 hours when it doesn't need to take any more than 5 minutes...

Actually, to get the scrap, you need to eliminate all other players at the table in one sitting.

EDIT:

Actually, I'm dumb. No surprise there.

Hit level 45 on multi with no cheating, 5 more levels to grind out...

Anyone think the Co op missions xp is crap for how long they take? Should be over 2k for each one minimum yet its barely 1k.

Zakkath

WTF is up with The Herd mission ? I beat it in 8:11 earlier with 20/20 cattle and I STILL got silver medal.

That mission is just so imbalanced. What's the time we need to beat to get Gold ?

Ramirez

Zakkath said:
WTF is up with The Herd mission ? I beat it in 8:11 earlier with 20/20 cattle and I STILL got silver medal.

That mission is just so imbalanced. What's the time we need to beat to get Gold ?

I'm still baffled that people here actually liked the herding missions in the game, and then they go and put one in this, just to spite me I'm sure.

Zakkath

And here's something else : I just beat Advanced Ammunition... there were no enemies at all. Not a single one... quite bugged.

Edit : ROFL ! And now, I just failed The Herd right at the start because no cows spawned, so the game thought they were all dead...

Montresor

Some questions and comments:

1) Can't believe going in the water means instant death. I found this out the hard way.

2) Should I keep the feathers/pelts/meats that I'm stockpiling, or should I sell them?

3) Sometimes a random person will come up to me and ask me to save their stolen horse (not a purple stranger quest). Are things like this part of getting 100% in the game?

Sacha

Anyone managed to get a gold medal on the river co-op mission ? I must have done it ten times now, always getting silver.

Sdawg36

nourali2 said:
Some questions and comments:

1) Can't believe going in the water means instant death. I found this out the hard way.

2) Should I keep the feathers/pelts/meats that I'm stockpiling, or should I sell them?

3) Sometimes a random person will come up to me and ask me to save their stolen horse (not a purple stranger quest). Are things like this part of getting 100% in the game?

1) Ditto, happened to me plenty of times. They need a stop sign on the bridge in Thieves Landing, I always end up going too fast and getting bumped into the river and drowning.

2) Doesn't really matter, there are a few stranger quests where you may need x number of x plant/feather/animal but its nothing that takes more than a few minutes per requirement. If you need the money go ahead and sell the stuff while you need it because later on you'll have more than enough money for everything (or at least I did) and the few extra dollars become meaningless.

3) No, just random encounters that you can use to boost your fame and honor.

Zakkath

Sacha said:
Anyone managed to get a gold medal on the river co-op mission ? I must have done it ten times now, always getting silver.

Yes. On normal, I have them all, but The Herd. That one is simply stupid. I'm close to have them all on Advanced too, but I haven't completed them all yet. I think I got 3 or 4.

Equus Bellator Apex

Help!!!

I'm stuck a 99.9 percent and I've

gotten all of the outfits

bought every property

won every mini game

got to rank ten in hunter, survivalist, ect..

finished all of the stranger's quest

I thought I have one bounty location left but they just keep on repeating

Just finished the game. Loved every minute of it. This is the second open world game I've really enjoyed.(San Andreas being the first.) Can believe how well done everything was. The game is buggy, but fortunately for me these didn't happen to often enough to stifle my fun. The hunting/sharpshooting challenges were really fun, and you are not a hardcore gunslinger till you pick every flower known to man. :mad:

The graphics are amazing for an open world game, and some of the best lighting I've seen yet. Environment are varied, and it's just fun to explore fighting off bandits, and helping strangers you meet along the way. Few things I didn't like though.

- Yes it is dumb that you die by touching water. Would it really have been that hard to put some kind of barrier?

- Controls on foot/ jumping felt really floaty. Caused me to die a few times during missions.

- Why was I running into packs of eight bears.:lol

- Wish there had been melee weapons. I mean there's shovels, axes, pick axes, and various other things laying around.

Other than those things it near perfect in my eyes. The missions can get repetitive but there usually so easy you're done with them fast.

I really liked Marston. The other characters were good as well. Easy to love/hate. Story was alright.

I really like the ending.
I was expecting the game to end when Dutch killed himself. Was really surprised that not only do you get to go back to your ranch after that, but also get to find out just who these people are that you've been fighting to get back to. John dieing kinda sucked. Can't escape your past I suppose. T-T Getting to play as Jack was a nice touch. The revenge on Ross through Jack was expected. But it was just too BAD ASS when RDR logo popped up afterwords.

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Help!!!

bought every property

won every mini game

Bought all the special guns?

If your just missing a last bounty location just keep leaving and waiting for it to turn up then complete it, will show up eventually.

Montresor

Sdawg36 said:
1) Ditto, happened to me plenty of times. They need a stop sign on the bridge in Thieves Landing, I always end up going too fast and getting bumped into the river and drowning.

2) Doesn't really matter, there are a few stranger quests where you may need x number of x plant/feather/animal but its nothing that takes more than a few minutes per requirement. If you need the money go ahead and sell the stuff while you need it because later on you'll have more than enough money for everything (or at least I did) and the few extra dollars become meaningless.

3) No, just random encounters that you can use to boost your fame and honor.

Thanks, also:

1) Do you need to gold the missions to 100% the game?

2) I was moving around Pike's Basin, and for some reason I was prompted by Erriot once again to save his herd... I already did it before. I did it yesterday and a big message showed up on the screen that said: "Pike's Basin completed." And sure enough it showed up again once I helped him. What's the deal? A way to horde a bunch of fame/honour? Or do I have to complete Pike's Basin x amount of times for 100%?

Dizzle24

nourali2 said:
Thanks, also:

1) Do you need to gold the missions to 100% the game?

2) I was moving around Pike's Basin, and for some reason I was prompted by Erriot once again to save his herd... I already did it before. I did it yesterday and a big message showed up on the screen that said: "Pike's Basin completed." And sure enough it showed up again once I helped him. What's the deal? A way to horde a bunch of fame/honour? Or do I have to complete Pike's Basin x amount of times for 100%?
I believe Pike's Basin is a Social Club challenge, so it constantly appears. Most of the hideouts respawn as well after some time.

Dizzle24

Somnium986 said:
The revenge on Ross through Jack was expected. But it was just too BAD ASS when RDR logo popped up afterwords.
Definitely was very bad ass. I yelled out "fuck yeah!" Very satisfying end.

Ramirez

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Help!!!

bought every property

won every mini game

Check your stats, your Bounty locations should be 8/8/4, and I never had a bounty location repeat, but I killed all of the bounties, maybe that has something to do with it. Also, another possibility is the properties, did you rent a night in both of the rental properties?

voltron

Final master hunter-related comments...

I cant believe I went to the trouble of killing Khan, Brumas, the legendary wolf and the legendary other thing all with a knife in the hopes of getting an achievement. Nothing.

Not even an achievement for level 10 all ambient challenges!

Fun stuff though. I really hope they release an exotic animal pack or something. Maybe new hunting challenges. That stuffs awesome.

Dead Man

voltron said:
Final master hunter-related comments...

I cant believe I went to the trouble of killing Khan, Brumas, the legendary wolf and the legendary other thing all with a knife in the hopes of getting an achievement. Nothing.

Not even an achievement for level 10 all ambient challenges!

Fun stuff though. I really hope they release an exotic animal pack or something. Maybe new hunting challenges. That stuffs awesome.
I'd love it of they added some real hunting as DLC, instead of getting ganged up by a pack of bears!

Just started the game last night and I'm really loving it. It takes a little getting used to the controls and the general play style of the game but it's all starting to click now. I am still getting used to riding a horse and finding it a little hard to know who to shoot in random encounters, but I'll get the hang of it soon. The pacing, the characters, the music, the writing and the scenery are all amazing so far. This is one of the games where I stop everything I'm doing so I can just look at the environment and just take it all in.

I'm also encountering a lot of strange glitches so far, but to me that's a positive since I love it when crazy things start happening around me. A couple of examples: I found a treasure chest the I was able to "open" repeatedly. I have "open" in quotes because every time I opened the lid there was another closed lid underneath it, causing this strange loop where I could keep opening the chest and getting the money/ammo. It only worked like five times, but it was a pretty funny glitch. Another example of strangeness (this one was probably intentional), I ran into this man crying over a dead women in the middle of nowhere. I ran up to him and couldn't do anything, I just sat there and watched him cry. After a minute I eventually hopped on my horse and the camera panned away from the couple, suddenly I hear a body drop. After moving the camera back to the couple I see the man is now dead, I'm guessing he shot himself but there wasn't any blood and he didn't have a gun (he did have ammo though). I'm getting that same crazy vibe I did from San Andreas and I'm loving it.

Just started this up last night.

Man, I forgot how much I love Rockstar's writing. The opening scene on the train really set the mood in a great way.

BomberMouse said:
I finally finished the game, damn this game is glitchy, so many missions ruined by glitchs or bugs

- In many missions I just apperead as if the cutscene was skipped, like when Marston was captured and then suddenly I'm in the middle of nowhere being shoot. I believe Reyes freed me but I didn't see a thing
- So many floating points problems, through many scenes people were flicking all over the place
- When you have to rescue Jack from the bear I got out of the horse to skin the bear, Jack got off too and then he could get back, WTF, had to restart
- At the ending, after the graves, the camera was in a fixed position, I could move freely but the camera was fixed, not following me
- A big etc.

Great characters and writing, tolerable world but incredibly dull gameplay.

I 100% the single player. I only ran into one glitch the entire play through that prevented me from completing a mission in single player. Now multiplayer... that's a whole different can of worms.

sublime085 said:
Just started this up last night.

Man, I forgot how much I love Rockstar's writing. The opening scene on the train really set the mood in a great way.

I don't know, the train scene seemed kind of forced to me. The dialogue didn't seem as natural as the other characters I've run into, and the fact both conversations were around the same subject didn't really flow well. I thought it really picked up from the moment you hit the Mission though, and it hasn't let up since.

btrick

So question about the ending:

After opening the barn door to have the Dead Eye activate, could you kill Edgar Ross? How would you go track him down as Jack if you've already killed him?

Teknoman

Man someone went away during the entire co-op scenario... never thought i'd see exp leeching in RDR :lol

The missions are pretty fun though :D Not sure whats up with so many people not having headsets.

todahawk

Finally putting some more time into RDR, still in act 1. messed with MP a bit and at level 5, anyone up for some co-op or roaming shoot me a FR.. PSN id = todahawk

headset user and eastern time zone... just mention gaf rdr in the FR

Has anyone played Online recently? I've been trying for the past few hours and here are the problems I'm experiencing

• Atleast 7 out of 10 times I'm stuck on the loading menu. This is an increase to before
  • When I kill players, it doesn't register as me killing them but e.g. Player X has died.
  • In an open map when I see the red dots or enemy dots on a map in front of me, there is no one there
  • I die e.g. Meus kicked the bucket when absolutely no one is around me or shot me. My player just drops as if he fell 100 ft.

All of which have put me off playing the game for the moment, it is a goddamn experience. Speaking to someone on Live, he claims most people are glitching which is causing the problems

Teknoman

greenjerk said:
Finally putting some more time into RDR, still in act 1. messed with MP a bit and at level 5, anyone up for some co-op or roaming shoot me a FR.. PSN id = todahawk

headset user and eastern time zone... just mention gaf rdr in the FR

Have you been invited to the PSN RDR chatroom yet?

Zakkath

Meus Renaissance said:
Has anyone played Online recently? I've been trying for the past few hours and here are the problems I'm experiencing

• Atleast 7 out of 10 times I'm stuck on the loading menu. This is an increase to before
  • When I kill players, it doesn't register as me killing them but e.g. Player X has died.
  • In an open map when I see the red dots or enemy dots on a map in front of me, there is no one there
  • I die e.g. Meus kicked the bucket when absolutely no one is around me or shot me. My player just drops as if he fell 100 ft.

All of which have put me off playing the game for the moment, it is a goddamn experience. Speaking to someone on Live, he claims most people are glitching which is causing the problems

Yup, there are all sorts of weird bugs since the DLC was released. I'm trading my copy back tomorrow. Enemies don't spawn, infinite loading screen, invisible players...

Owzers

I didn't really like this game at all. I only got as far as a mission or two after you get to Mexico before giving up and putting it up for sale.

I find open world games to be a bit.....boring. As in " here, we made this huge world, there's not much to do in it that is fun but there IS a lot of random things to do so make the most of it" Well i didn't. I didn't like riding the horse to one location to talk to a character, ride along side that character to the next mission, finish the mission which was mostly spamming the left trigger for auto aim, then riding your horse back to the next mission and repeat. I also hated riding the horse in general, i hate holding down the X button to maintain speed or to keep pace with your ally npcs.

Teknoman

sillymonkey321 said:
I didn't really like this game at all. I only got as far as a mission or two after you get to Mexico before giving up and putting it up for sale.

I find open world games to be a bit.....boring. As in " here, we made this huge world, there's not much to do in it that is fun but there IS a lot of random things to do so make the most of it" Well i didn't. I didn't like riding the horse to one location to talk to a character, ride along side that character to the next mission, finish the mission which was mostly spamming the left trigger for auto aim, then riding your horse back to the next mission and repeat. I also hated riding the horse in general, i hate holding down the X button to maintain speed or to keep pace with your ally npcs.

Should've turned aiming on expert.

Top Bottom