• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Montresor

Well god dammit. :lol
I helped Bonnie break in some horses, and she gave me the white stallion I helped catch as a gift... and the white stallion automatically took over my old brown horse's hitching spot

I trust that besides the Mexican stranger, I don't have to worry about anything else re-setting that damn Spurred To Victory achievement?

nourali2 said:
Well god dammit. :lol
I helped Bonnie break in some horses, and she gave me the white stallion I helped catch as a gift... and the white stallion automatically took over my old brown horse's hitching spot

I trust that besides the Mexican stranger, I don't have to worry about anything else re-setting that damn Spurred To Victory achievement?
Nope.

I met this stranger saying that he knew me and told me to get his friend from this bar before he cheats on his wife, I accidentally pointed my gun at him and the quest ended, will I be able to replay this?
Also, what are the best settings for the in game display options for the PS3 version?
(contrast,saturation etc) I remember for GTAIV there were some settings that made the game look a bit better.

Dead Man

mysticwhip said:
I met this stranger saying that he knew me and told me to get his friend from this bar before he cheats on his wife, I accidentally pointed my gun at him and the quest ended, will I be able to replay this?
Also, what are the best settings for the in game display options for the PS3 version?
(contrast,saturation etc) I remember for GTAIV there were some settings that made the game look a bit better.
Should show up again after a few days.

Montresor

Damn, I couldn't get my horse to stop following me. I was trying to complete a task for a stranger and I was just deathly afraid of my horse dying on me... it wouldn't stop following me so I just went back to Armadillo, bought a new house there, hitched, saved, and got off the 360. It's not that hard to find random horses is it?

D23 said:

It was the only reason I decided to play the game again, oh and to try out the co-op missions which for the most part, besides maybe 1 or 2 of them, were not that much fun at all...

Very let down by the DLC.

DarkKyo

CrazedArabMan said:
It was the only reason I decided to play the game again, oh and to try out the co-op missions which for the most part, besides maybe 1 or 2 of them, were not that much fun at all...

Very let down by the DLC.
I love the co-op missions. Very fun. Played a couple with my brother this afternoon.

So I just finished the game
(playing as the son now)
and GREAT FUCKING ENDING BTW ...
but I recall some weird guy that you talk to in a top hat overlooking something off of a cliff talking about how he knows you and Purgatory is mentioned I believe, just a random purple question mark (I think) but nothing really came of it, or did I miss something? ... what up with that?

Hootie

FUCK poker. I wanted the US Army outfit scrap so I had to win at Blackwater.

Shit took me 3 long, grueling hours.

The first two chumps were out soon enough, but then I had this one buster, Bunk Trimble, who just didn't give a fuck about my scrap. This dude was pulling straights and flushes out of his ass like it was nobody's business. There were 4000 total chips in play and they went baaaack and forth, baaaack and forth. I managed to make it to 2900 at one point, fell to 1000, moved back up to 2100, down to 800, up to 3700, down to 2100, and FINALLY after three FUCKING hours I had trip 4s and made him go all in. Dude had two pair and for a sec I thought that beat trips so I was about to flip shit. I seriously lost 5 years off my life from that game. It actually took at least 3-4 full in-game days to finish. The problem was I'd get shit pocket cards and he'd either raise before the flop forcing me to fold, or the flop would come, I'd have nothing, and he'd raise 100+, forcing me to fold. I was on the brink of a mental breakdown. But at least I got that fucking scrap. I wish I recorded my reaction when I finally won. Twas glorious. I ran to my safehouse, saved, ran back down, found Bunk, hogtied him, burned him, shot him multiple times with a semi-auto shotgun whilst burning, and then threw about 15 knives in his skull/torso. Then I threw some cheats on and went on a mega-rampage to relieve the stress.

FUCK you Bunk Trimble. FUCK YOU.

Sdawg36

Yeah, that scrap is a pain in the rear to get, still haven't gotten it. I swear, every time I get a decent hand everybody just folds immediately and then I get nothing for the next few hands. Also hearing the Chinese guy with a ponytail say "I'm old enough to take a few risks" got old after a while. I don't know how many times I've shot up that table because I got tired of playing poker. Plus (endgame spoiler)
playing as Jack and having to listen to him makes it worse, I want to play poker as a real cowboy, not some wannabe kid who screams "yeehaw".

Dizzle24

Hootie said:

Should have waited until the table had only 1 or 2 players. I won in less than 10 minutes with 2 players at the table and I have no fucking clue how to play poker. :lol

Dizzle24 said:
Should have waited until the table had only 1 or 2 players. I won in less than 10 minutes with 2 players at the table and I have no fucking clue how to play poker. :lol
I cheated and kept on getting caught, killed them until there was one player left, made it easy:lol and I don't know poker either :lol

Dead Man

MrTroubleMaker said:
I cheated and kept on getting caught, killed them until there was one player left, made it easy:lol and I don't know poker either :lol
Every time I try to clear the table by duelling the other players just leave.

Guevara

Dizzle24 said:

Ha - I scared everyone away from the table by pulling out a gun, then waited by the table. When the first person sat down again, I joined and it was just him and me.

JoeBoy101

Hootie said:

The first two chumps were out soon enough, but then I had this one buster, Bunk Trimble, who just didn't give a fuck about my scrap. This dude was pulling straights and flushes out of his ass like it was nobody's business. There were 4000 total chips in play and they went baaaack and forth, baaaack and forth. I managed to make it to 2900 at one point, fell to 1000, moved back up to 2100, down to 800, up to 3700, down to 2100, and FINALLY after three FUCKING hours I had trip 4s and made him go all in. Dude had two pair and for a sec I thought that beat trips so I was about to flip shit. I seriously lost 5 years off my life from that game. It actually took at least 3-4 full in-game days to finish. The problem was I'd get shit pocket cards and he'd either raise before the flop forcing me to fold, or the flop would come, I'd have nothing, and he'd raise 100+, forcing me to fold. I was on the brink of a mental breakdown. But at least I got that fucking scrap. I wish I recorded my reaction when I finally won. Twas glorious. I ran to my safehouse, saved, ran back down, found Bunk, hogtied him, burned him, shot him multiple times with a semi-auto shotgun whilst burning, and then threw about 15 knives in his skull/torso. Then I threw some cheats on and went on a mega-rampage to relieve the stress.

3 Rules: Never eat at a place called Ma's, Never fight with a guy named Doc, and Never play cards with a guy called Bunk.

Filldough

Hootie said:

I feel your pain man. Like others, I just cheated like hell and if I got caught, fuck it, one less person to compete against me for that damn scrap. At least you responded appropriately after winning.

FrankT

Alucrid said:
Funniest thing I've seen. Better than the cougar man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5cYYCwYg8

This game just keeps on giving.

Ben2749 said:
For fuck's sake; I only just started playing, and now it's fixed. I just wanted to get to 50 for the achievement, and then they could have fixed it, took back any XP you earned while glitching, whatever. I wouldn't give a shit.

Christ, they need to BOOST the amount of XP you get in this game. Multiplayer is nowhere near as fun as they seem to think. Getting to level 50 legit is tedious and long-winded as hell.

Not to mention, in a game absolutely crammed full of glitches, they fix the one that peoplem actually like. The fact that it "breaks" the game would make sense if it were something like Call of Duty, but it's not. Why they even bothered with an XP system is beyond me.

The XP was fine the way it was and for any normal Joe it would still take awhile to hit 50. I could do 50 levels in a day, but you are talking about a day straight of gaming time. Most people don't have that time. They should have left it alone. Can't say I feel bad about exploit either as I had already done it once before 2 times into legend before I lost my save. They really need to go back to the old XP levels or give double XP weekends or something like it. Not a whole lot of incentive at this time with such low rates.

Ramirez

I finally 100% of the game today, I was amazed at how easy Poker was to win with one guy at the table. (I have no clue how to play Poker) :lol

Not much chatter on the co-op missions in here either, has everyone already moved on? I played all of the regular versions with strangers and had a good time, hate the cattle herding one, it just drags on for too long, and the only mission we didn't Gold. :( I could see some of the advanced missions being really tough considering riding your horse/carriage and manually aiming is almost impossible.

jergrah

Awesome glitch!! :lol

As for Blackwater poker, I guess I just lucked out and won the first time I tried there. First hand of the match though I won like 2500 chips [High Roller Achievement] and from there was able to bully the table with the big stack.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would always just point a gun at the table, make them all run away, then run around the town a bit and come back. Always made it so there was only one person on the table, which isn't too hard to just overwhelm withe huge bets.

I'm getting a lot more slowdown since the patch and one instance where the controls just stopped working and John started crouching and standing up non stop.

MDJCM

Anyone else have trouble locating where stray gunshots come from?

Sometimes i'm just riding around and i can hear a gun fight in the distance, tough to find the location. Gunshots should blip on the radar

j-wood

When playing online, what is the difference between selecting a game type from a post in the middle of a town and just selecting it from the menu?

j-wood said:
When playing online, what is the difference between selecting a game type from a post in the middle of a town and just selecting it from the menu?

I believe that if you select from the menu it transports you (and your posse) to the first open game in the type chosen, while if you select from a post it invites everyone in the free roam you're currently in.

Hootie

100%!!!! First Rockstar game in which I've totally completed everything. Feels good man.

Bureau Outfit is godtier. Nothing like going on a rampage with no consequences other than a little bit of lost honor :lol

Dead Man

mysticwhip said:
And my own continues.....
My third begins... I am so sucked into this game!

Hootie said:
100%!!!! First Rockstar game in which I've totally completed everything. Feels good man.

Bureau Outfit is godtier. Nothing like going on a rampage with no consequences other than a little bit of lost honor :lol
Yeah, first one since GTA VC for me.

I finally finished the game, damn this game is glitchy, so many missions ruined by glitchs or bugs

- In many missions I just apperead as if the cutscene was skipped, like when Marston was captured and then suddenly I'm in the middle of nowhere being shoot. I believe Reyes freed me but I didn't see a thing
- So many floating points problems, through many scenes people were flicking all over the place
- When you have to rescue Jack from the bear I got out of the horse to skin the bear, Jack got off too and then he could get back, WTF, had to restart
- At the ending, after the graves, the camera was in a fixed position, I could move freely but the camera was fixed, not following me
- A big etc.

Great characters and writing, tolerable world but incredibly dull gameplay.

Bizzyb

Banned
Just beat the game...wow.

Does anyone know what the hell is up with those "I know You" stranger missions??

Was that guy a Ghost that John killed before? He shot at him and the bullets did nothing...??

Bizzyb said:

Does anyone know what the hell is up with those "I know You" stranger missions??

Was that guy a Ghost that John killed before? He shot at him and the bullets did nothing...??

I guess we can only speculate. Like most strangers mission, I believe the point was to feel alienated, I don't recall a single one with a satisfying ending.

Probably a ghost or some kind of "superior being" or maybe even John's guilt

Edit:
Found this at http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/I_Know_You

"and he seems to know everything about John, stating 'this is a damn fine spot' whilst standing on what will be the exact location of John's grave"

eshwaaz

Hootie said:

Same here. This was probably the least frustrating Rockstar game I've ever played as well. Mostly generous checkpoints, the ability to carry healing items, regenerating health, multiple fast travel and saving options - it's great to see Rockstar finally making some concessions for the sake of fun.

Bizzyb

Banned
Hootie said:

:lol

The EXACT same thing happened to me. Everything you mentioned down to a "T".

I seriously wanted to Blow a hole in Bunks head but I held my composure, saved the game and vowed to never play Poker in Blackwater again. Ever.

So, yeah, whatever, call me a noob or whatever you want. But I'm in a public game with my brother on PS3 and we have NO IDEA how to start a co-op mission. Anyone?

**edited to add** Figured it out, so weird.

hamchan

Bizzyb said:

A good theory I've been reading is that the man is the Devil. Creepy.
I really wish I didn't skip the I Know You missions, instead I have to read about it.

Just finished the game. This is probably GoTY for me. Everything about the game is good.

Top Bottom