• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just have to say that Deadman's Gun is a beautiful song. They couldn't have used a better song at that moment. The whole soundtrack was great.

voltron

I dont like to look at the secret achievements until Im done with a game, but can someone tell me if there is an achievement for killing a certain number of animals / humans / whatever without using dead eye?

Like if I spend a few hours purposefully not using dead eye at all will it pay off or not?

Massa

I think Mexico is the low point of the game. The characters become the typical GTA over the top latinos (can they do them any different way? seriously, I've seen this before in almost every GTA), which was the most disappointing. The story went on to be about finding this Javier Escuella, and I'm pretty sure I missed the point in which they first brought him up.

The missions involve long drives where you just literally put the controller down to listen to the dialog. Yeah, I know it's optional, but it sucks that you have to choose between skipping dialog options that develop these characters or just being bored to tears.

After Mexico things pick up again, and the final act is absolutely amazing. Still, the fact that Bonnie MacFarlane and De Santa exist in the same game boggles me.

Really great game overall, takes number 2 spot in my GOTY list.

The multiplayer has been very annoying so far and I already gave up on it. The coop missions were fun though.

voltron said:
I dont like to look at the secret achievements until Im done with a game, but can someone tell me if there is an achievement for killing a certain number of animals / humans / whatever without using dead eye?

Like if I spend a few hours purposefully not using dead eye at all will it pay off or not?

None of the hidden achievements have to do with that, but I didn't check the regular ones. Also, you might want to do this one hidden achievement:
Complete 20 story missions without switching to a new horse at a hitching post.

voltron

Tks.

In other words, just use your own horse every time. You can still own different horses right? I regularly switch between the 3 best horses using a deed.

plasmasd

Sorry Bro. 20 missions in a row, same horse, no switching, and if you use horse regeneration if it dies you can't get the achievement either.

voltron

plasmasd said:
Sorry Bro. 20 missions in a row, same horse, no switching, and if you use horse regeneration if it dies you can't get the achievement either.

Well THAT is fucking stupid.

I swear some of these achievement designers are fucking morons. It should be a dedicated position at every dev. I could do it :D

EDIT: you can use horse regen if its not a mission though right? As long as you dont regen during a mission?

voltron

Massa said:
I think it's fine to "forget" your horse somewhere and call for it later, you just can't let it die.

Well yeah of course. I just mean if your horse dies when youre not on a mission does that count? Or is it just if if your horse dies while actually on a mission?

DarkWolf

Banned
Another thing that I've heard you can do is to get a deed of a horse and if that horse dies, just click on the deed and it should be fine.

The point of the achievement/trophy is to not hitch another horse for 20 missions.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Argh I am having a lot of trouble with the sharpshooter challenge of disarming 6 guys without reloading. I figured that the ideal spot to do it is
The scene near the end at the barn with John and the army
but it's taken me a few times and it's a pain in the ass. Is there a place I can do it reasonably well after beating the game?

DonMigs85

voltron said:
Well yeah of course. I just mean if your horse dies when youre not on a mission does that count? Or is it just if if your horse dies while actually on a mission?
Basically...
NEVER hitch a different horse, and I also stuck with the Kentucky Saddler I tamed in the Bonnie mission for the next 28 missions. Then we fell off a cliff and he died. :lol

Docpan

Why is this title update taking FOREVVVVVERRRR? is it like 100's of MB? I thought these sort of things were
limited to 15 MB max?

Bizzyb

Banned
Teknoman said:
Should've turned aiming on expert.

ONce you turn aiming on Expert it becomes a TOTALLY different game/experience.

So glad I had the gall to say "Fuck it" and turn off auto aiming. I'll never go back and I HOPE they put it in the next GTA/Rockstar open world game. Such brilliance.

YagizY

I had about 36 hours in this game and then my PS3 was stolen as well as some games. Although I love the game it is going to be hard to motivate myself through another playthrough.

Pancho

Qurupancho
So has anyone had trouble with Tesoro Azul co-op mission????
Me and my 2 friends tried it out like 10 times last night and we got our asses kicked
any tips?

EL Beefo

Wellington said:
Argh I am having a lot of trouble with the sharpshooter challenge of disarming 6 guys without reloading. I figured that the ideal spot to do it is
but it's taken me a few times and it's a pain in the ass. Is there a place I can do it reasonably well after beating the game?

I got mine at the gang hideout at Gaptooth Breach inside the mines. You can get pretty close to each person and take them on one by one so that made it fairly easy.

eshwaaz

Wellington said:
I did it at Thieves Landing. No wanted level, no lawmen. I wore the bandanna just in case. Aim at anyone with a sidearm - they'll draw their gun, go into DeadEye and disarm them. Run around in back of the buildings where the docks are until things cool down, then go back out, repeat. You may want to use the Mauser since it holds 15 shots - fire off all rounds but 15, so you can't accidentally reload and blow the achievement.

AlexMogil

Wellington said:

Gaptooth Breach with a Mauser. Once you enter the caves, it's close quarters combat and you can refill on tonic or shine or whatever. You can walk around with your gun drawn to ensure you don't auto reload.

Dead Man

Massa said:
Complete 20 story missions without switching to a new horse at a hitching post.
On my third play through, and I cannot seem to get that damn trophy. I am now finishing Mexico (again) and have not changed horses since the Taming horses mission with Bonnie. Doesn't really matter since I will probably not be bothered to get the MP trophies, but still a bit frustrating.

Wellington said:
I did it at Pike Basin, took the Mauser and emptied everything out but one magazine so it would not reload. The first three guys there? Disarm them, drink some moonshine, disarm them again. Done.

Pancho said:
Haven't done any of the coop stuff yet, sorry,

Pancho said:
Clear out the town first, and when it says to take out the enemies on the western front or whatever (the second step), ignore it and go up to where all the cannons are instead. There's a lot of enemies there but if you take them out you'll be golden. From there, rain hell on what's left (some will be pretty far but you can get them all) and finish the mission.

voltron said:
Well THAT is fucking stupid.

I swear some of these achievement designers are fucking morons. It should be a dedicated position at every dev. I could do it :D

EDIT: you can use horse regen if its not a mission though right? As long as you dont regen during a mission?

It's funny because I got this achievement just yesterday. I dunno, guess I'm just careful never felt like getting a new horse, but yeah, never even knew it was an achievement lol

I was just riding my horse around looking for plants for a stranger challenge and I guess I trampled an animal that I've never killed before because the Unnatural Selection achievement just popped up. :lol

Emonk

Banned
I was riding back from Mexico, and I saw all of these oil derricks. The town name pops up: Plainview.

A dim bulb somewhere in my head lit up. I never got it until just then. :lol

Huggy said:
How the hell is noone here talking about how hard it is to kill a bear with a knife? Is there some trick I'm missing?
Killing things with knives just so happens to be my expertise.

For bears, I've noticed that if you run in a fairly wide circle when they're chasing you, you can make the circle smaller and smaller until you're actually chasing the bear. Their AI isn't that great and they have a hard time turning sharply, so when you're behind it you're safe, and you can go and stick that son'bitch.

Dead Man

Huggy said:
How the hell is noone here talking about how hard it is to kill a bear with a knife? Is there some trick I'm missing?
You must have missed me bitching about it pages back. Hit him a few times in the legs, go to deadeye, lasso to stun, then knife, from horseback if needed. I also had to lure one out onto the plains so I did not get fucked by his buddies.

greenjerk said:
Probably a bad time to tell you i got a ringer with my second throw... haven't done one since.

I got it in my first game and seemed to get very close a couple of times after that. There's an aiming angle that allows you to lineup the angle of the throw very easily (L2?), I just put the rail right between both sides of the horseshoe. After that is was just trying to line up the power somewhere close to the middle. I also got lucky in Poker and ran into a table with one guy there, I ended up beating him pretty easily and got the award for shutting out the whole table.

Now, Five Finger Fillet on the other hand (accidental pun) is nonsense. It's easy at first, but by the third round it gets ridiculous. It doesn't give you any time at all, meanwhile the other guy seems like he's taking his sweet time during his turn. Do I get anything for playing the game, if so, are there any tricks I'm missing because going over your hand three times in what has to be about five seconds is not fun.

Ramirez

Huggy said:

I shot one in the legs 4 times, got on my horse and did a drive by swipe of the knife, so awesome. This was after dying like 10 times trying other methods. :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Huggy said:

Do it for the story mission, you'll only have to face one bear, easy peesy. Kitton w/ knife vs. bear, bear never had a chance.
Indifferent2.gif

Guenther

Pancho said:
So has anyone had trouble with Tesoro Azul co-op mission????
Me and my 2 friends tried it out like 10 times last night and we got our asses kicked
any tips?
Go through the west gate and flank the enemies from the far west and move carefully up the hills.

Huggy said:

You can weaken it for an easy kill. I noticed a lot of times if you weaken one enough they start to run away. Get on your valiant steed and run along side it and knife. I shot one 3 or 4 times in its side then went in for the kill with 2 knife swipes. Done.

Bioshocked said:
I'm having a hard time killing cougars with a knife.

i shot them once with a rifle, then dodged their attack, then just rushed with the knife. easy peasy.

btw is online working fine for PS3? last few times i tried some days ago just gave me endless loading screens.. very frustrating. and i want to play those co-op missions :(

Huggy said:
Be a man. Get off your horse, pull out your double-barrell and shoot it once or twice in the back or belly while dodging attacks. It might actually start running away from you. Chase that sucker down and finish it off with knife swipes until it dies.

todahawk

Tkawsome said:
I got it in my first game and seemed to get very close a couple of times after that. There's an aiming angle that allows you to lineup the angle of the throw very easily (L2?), I just put the rail right between both sides of the horseshoe. After that is was just trying to line up the power somewhere close to the middle. I also got lucky in Poker and ran into a table with one guy there, I ended up beating him pretty easily and got the award for shutting out the whole table.

Now, Five Finger Fillet on the other hand (accidental pun) is nonsense. It's easy at first, but by the third round it gets ridiculous. It doesn't give you any time at all, meanwhile the other guy seems like he's taking his sweet time during his turn. Do I get anything for playing the game, if so, are there any tricks I'm missing because going over your hand three times in what has to be about five seconds is not fun.

Hmm, haven't even touched Five Finger Fillet yet. Messed around with Poker a bit but need to play a bit more.

Quick question, any gold i find from treasure hunts I can safely sell at the general store or wherever, correct? I don't need to keep it for any future missions?

greenjerk said:
Hmm, haven't even touched Five Finger Fillet yet. Messed around with Poker a bit but need to play a bit more.

Quick question, any gold i find from treasure hunts I can safely sell at the general store or wherever, correct? I don't need to keep it for any future missions?
Correct, but make sure to sell it in Armadillo or something other than Thieve's Landing because you'll get more money for it.

Marvie_3

Banned
Huggy said:
When I did it, I shot the bear once after it killed my horse. The bear took off running so I chased him and everytime I'd get close I'd slash him with the knife. I ended up chasing that fucker for miles before I brought him down. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Massa said:
I think Mexico is the low point of the game.

Although I enjoyed the entire game and loved Mexico's landscape, I totally agree with you in regards to the scenario. The entrance to Mexico was perfect and the missions with Landon Ricketts were great, but I think things started to fall apart a bit when you start working for the other two big players. The missions themselves were good fun, but it felt like the story lost its focus for a bit during this section of the game.

seady

Just beat the game today and love it a lot. This is the first open world game that really grabs me through its story.

What's different between this and GTA is : Personal Attachment.
Everything you do in this game feel personal. One example would be the vehicle. In GTA, I rarely care about the car I am driving as I can simply steal a car and crash it 2 minutes later. In RDR, the horse is truly yours. Even though you can randomly find a horse anywhere, but the horse you break and ride really feel like something you attached to. I felt extremely bad when my first horse was killed by a cougar (though I accidently skinned my horse too afterward :lol)

There are many other things too that I really attached to because it presented in a way that make me care about them, such as characters, weapons, memorable locations and story that is meaningful. Same thing could not be said for other open-world games.

Bizzyb

Banned
Has anyone tried Leaving the game idle for a while?? I noticed in some locations if you leave the game running but don't touch anything for a few minutes the game will sometimes switch to a landscape view with a very beautiful view of the area you are in.

Anyone know which locations this works for and which are the best??

Top Bottom