• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The nerve of this bitch, to sit in the hot desert with no clothes. And to steal my horse when I kindly stop by. :lol

:(

I've had this for a while now, but had to restart due to a ylod. It's seems to be going knowhere at the moment as i just keep being introduced to new people
i've just done irishes second mission, and the escaping when they realise he's a fraud mission with west dickens. It just feel like i'm helping everyone else and the story isn't going anywhere, does it change soon ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I'm back into RDR after not playing it for a couple weeks.

I've done all but 2 of the sidequests and the main campaign is done but I've been doing the challenges and I think I'm enjoying it more than ever. Instead of just moving from mission to mission I'm taking my time and enjoying the environments, no fast traveling and playing a lot of cards as well.
Walking through the woods of the Tall Trees and searching for 'hawgs and beavers is more fun than it sounds. So I'm enjoying that but I still can't get into the multiplayer, playing free roam without a posse is no fun.

Jamesearlcash said:
I've had this for a while now, but had to restart due to a ylod. It's seems to be going knowhere at the moment as i just keep being introduced to new people
i've just done irishes second mission, and the escaping when they realise he's a fraud mission with west dickens. It just feel like i'm helping everyone else and the story isn't going anywhere, does it change soon ?
Nope. If you're feeling that way before you even get to Mexico...

It's still fun though.

Montresor

100% achievement unlocked. It took me around 37 hours to do. I am very satisfied with this game.

Still though, 37 hours, 100% achievement, and I still only have 815/1100 in achievement points. Back to work. :p

Jamesearlcash said:

Yeah this is my problem. I stopped playing for awhile after just arriving in
Mexico
and my urge to finish this game is ZERO!!! Its a good looking game, its fun to play, but the game is horrible at doing anything to pull you into its story imo. I find myself not caring to see what happens next, which for me personally, is never a good thing.

Montresor

You know what I'd love in this game. To be able to play Liar's Dice or Poker against other people online. Those games are so addictive. I never knew the rules of poker before but I needed to win a game legit to get 100% and it's pretty damn fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That would make sense. I'd play that more than any of the online competitive modes.

I'm also hoping that they add more single player content, I want more and there is plenty of room to add new stuff like challenges, new strangers, new quests and bounties etc. Or a Gay Tony/LatD type expansion would kick so much ass.

S1lent

Just beat the main story.
John's sacrifice on behalf of his family was great, as was Jack avenging his old man.
Overall a very satisfying narrative, especially in comparison to Rockstar's other efforts IMO.

Question though:
How much time has passed between John's death and when you take control of the older Jack?

S1lent said:
Question though:
How much time has passed between John's death and when you take control of the older Jack?
3 years.

red shoe paul said:
I just did the mission where
you go with that guy into the cave to rescue the girl that was kidnapped in Mexico.

How far along am I?
Just about halfway I reckon

Hootie

S1lent said:
Question though:

On the gravestone it says 1914 so I'm assuming that's the new in-game date.

allreal

TREASURE MAP #8

Lol.. did anyone else think it was a
shawshank redemption reference?

SO AWESOME.

def goty.
and generation

sammy

I <3 this game so much. I've just crossed the "Mexican" boarders and the game has gotten so pretty. haven't really tapped into the campaign there, it's just so pretty i ride around on my horse for hours :lol

El-Suave

Finished the singleplayer last night. Very good game, but to be honest I liked "The Balad of Gay Tony", which I've also played recently, a bit more for the sheer fun factor.

What really annoyed me about RDR is that the game itself destroyed two awesome moments for me - both times when actual songs were being played after important story milestones, they were interrupted by random encounters. I had to engage the enemies/beasts or I would have died - but as soon as I did, the music stopped and it wouldn't pick up afterwards. Really annoying - that stuff needs to be scripted a bit more so that the player at least has the chance to take in the combination of the visuals and the music for a few minutes.

big_z

finished the game a few nights ago and i enjoyed it a lot. story reminds me a lot of mafia(pc).

going to try out multiplayer over the weekend.

flake

neorej said:
Almost done with the challenges: only Master Hunter to go. Right now I've gotten to the challenge to
kill a bear with a knife. WTF has R* been smoking when they came up with that? Almost nailed it: shot a bear twice in the lower body with a buffalo rifle, fucker ran, chased him down, pulled out my knife, went for the kill and.... BEAR #2 JUMPS ME FROM NOWHERE AND KILLS ME!
What's a good area to get this challenge?

if you shoot the bear once in the head with a henry repeater than one knife swipe should take it out

Oni Jazar

Just killed me a bear with a knife! Took me a good 40 mins. Was a pain to find one, injure it enough but not kill it then go toe to toe with a knife. Glorious victory when accomplished though.

Played this for 3 hours yesterday after not having touched it for a couple weeks. About 20 hours in- think I'm just about to wrap up Mexico. Still enjoying it very much.

I killed a couple bears with knives last night fucking around in free roam with a friend. It took so long that at one point 9 had spawned at once and we had to have one guy corral them while the other slashed at their asses :lol And then wolf packs kept coming out of nowhere and screwing everything up. We eventually got one bear scared and chased it into the next area down the hills :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyone here get a kick out of riding around the Great Plains and chucking molotovs at the buffalo, or is it just me?

Hootie

Snuggler said:
Anyone here get a kick out of riding around the Great Plains and chucking molotovs at the buffalo, or is it just me?

I'd do it if the damn buffalo would show up once in awhile! I only see those things about once every 15-20 times I pass by their roaming spot.

I love whistling for my horse when somebody steals it and watching my horse knocking their ass off.
Where do I find specific animals for the challenges?,maps?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah this is my problem. I stopped playing for awhile after just arriving in
Mexico
and my urge to finish this game is ZERO!!! Its a good looking game, its fun to play, but the game is horrible at doing anything to pull you into its story imo. I find myself not caring to see what happens next, which for me personally, is never a good thing.
Feeling the same here. I find the story is completely pointless. The cut-scenes are long, boring and lead nowhere. You can play a villain in the world, but it's all for nothing because the story is all about you trying to be good (or something, I'm not sure what it is exactly). In the end I find that it has the same problems GTA4 had; it's just full of contradictions.

"Hey look at me, I'm John Marsten! I just killed all the men in this village, but I'll be damned if I have to burn their houses on top of that. That would be pathetic! But I'll do it anyway."

I wish Tommy Vercetti could time travel and go kick John Marsten's ass.

Beat it last night- took 24 hours. Great game, I enjoyed it a fair bit more than GTA4. Not GOTY for me- still would give that to Bayonetta or Mass Effect 2. RDR was a ton of fun though.

Think I'm going to dive back into RDR for the 4th of July...Going to focus mostly on Co-Op with a friend but might try to do some other stuff in single-player I never got around to.

i really need to get back into this game, but everytime I turn on my ps3 I go straight to Joe Danger while I listen to podcast....with a new job and moving my free time is limited :(

Is anyone else having trouble playing co-op with friends? Every time my friends and I try to connect to each others' games we get an error message. I can play with random people, but no one on my friends list.

GodfatherX said:
i really need to get back into this game, but everytime I turn on my ps3 I go straight to Joe Danger while I listen to podcast....with a new job and moving my free time is limited :(

You should check out the Gametwerp podcast. I may be biased but, I think it's pretty entertaining.

You know what? Now that I’ve had enough time to think about it....not only is this my current GOTY, but I think it’s now knocked Super Mario Galaxy of the throne and become my new GOTG!

Everything is perfect! Everything about it just works wonderfully, and you know a game is doing something good when you can spend hours just aimlessly walking around. Who's with me? :D

Lebron

That damn Compass song that plays when you are riding back home
. I was already blown away by the game before that hit, but god damn.

xBigDanx

For the outfits, the ones where you need to capture certain gang member bounties alive - is there a way to redo the bounty if you did all of a certain gang at the beginning of the game and you captured them dead before you realized the requirement for an outfit? Or am I out of luck for getting 100%?

Dead Man

xBigDanx said:
For the outfits, the ones where you need to capture certain gang member bounties alive - is there a way to redo the bounty if you did all of a certain gang at the beginning of the game and you captured them dead before you realized the requirement for an outfit? Or am I out of luck for getting 100%?
They will recycle, they may just not have a picture on the bounty notice.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Finished it last night. Hot damn, GOTY-contender for sure.
I got so pissed at Ross for abusing John, I went straight for the killmission. Fuck the buffalos, fuck the damsels in distress, fuck the strangers, Ross needs to pay. NOW!

Cubituss

Neo Member
Finished it, loved it from start to finish. To be honest I found
Dutch's death
somewhat Unforgiven-style and West Dickens along with the
whole mexican revolution as well as Indians being only the shades of their former glory
strongly reminded me of Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch. This game is a piece of art.

Dead Man

Cubituss said:
Finished it, loved it from start to finish. To be honest I found
Dutch's death
somewhat Unforgiven-style and West Dickens along with the
whole mexican revolution as well as Indians being only the shades of their former glory
strongly reminded me of Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch. This game is a piece of art.
Yeah, definitely got a Nobody vibe from
Nastas

Dead Man

xBigDanx said:
what do you mean by 'may just not have a picture on the bounty notice'?
I believe that instead of a picture they have a ? on the notice when you start the bounty. It should still count for the clothing unlocks.

xBigDanx

Dead Man said:
I believe that instead of a picture they have a ? on the notice when you start the bounty. It should still count for the clothing unlocks.

oh, so after I finish the number of bountys in a certain area, the bountys will just continue to come, but they will be recycled?

Finished this up this weekend. Loved it- not my GOTY or GOTG or anything though. Still prefer Demon's Souls, Mass Effect 2 and Bayonetta off the top of my head. A definite improvement over GTA4, in my opinion. Great game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So the co-op advanced missions are damn hard. I knew I should've been practicing expert aim from the start. It's really only hard when you have to ride and shoot at the same time.

Dead Man

xBigDanx said:
oh, so after I finish the number of bountys in a certain area, the bountys will just continue to come, but they will be recycled?
That's my understanding, but I have not done enough to know for sure.

Top Bottom