• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Zoibie

MDJCM said:
I gave Undead Nightmare a quick blast but I quickly drowned in zombies and ran out of ammo. What is the strategy here? Is it a full game or just a Horde mode game?

Can you guys give me some pointers? I love Red Dead and I like zombie games so I dunno why I'm not getting on with this one :s

No, Undead Nightmare is a full game, with a story and missions and stuff. I don't really remember the start of the game but it should explain to you that you need to go round to the towns and help the locals get rid of most of the zombies. You'll start receiving missions too, just like in the regular game.

Also, for the zombies, high ground and head shots seem to be the most effective method.

MDJCM

Zoibie said:
No, Undead Nightmare is a full game, with a story and missions and stuff. I don't really remember the start of the game but it should explain to you that you need to go round to the towns and help the locals get rid of most of the zombies. You'll start receiving missions too, just like in the regular game.

Also, for the zombies, high ground and head shots seem to be the most effective method.

Thanks

What do you do for ammo?

Hyunkel6

MDJCM said:
Can you guys give me some pointers? I love Red Dead and I like zombie games so I dunno why I'm not getting on with this one :s
The first hour of the game is definitely the hardest. Once you clear some towns, you'll have more than enough bullets to deal with anything. Do every sidequests (strangers missions, blue dots on the minimap, missing persons) and loot as many zombies as possible. When clearing towns, always look for ammo caches (green dots on minimap).

bengraven

PaNaMa said:
Every time this thread gets bumped I dare to dream of a "RDR coming to PC" announcement.
Then i cry.

I just made myself cry.

God I know how you feel.

To make matters worse, my 360 just RRoD. And because I can't afford to fix it and I was only borrowing the copy of RDR I had played, the original owner took back the game and sold it at Gamestop.

I would kill to play some RDR but it's virtually impossible now. :/

Zoibie

MDJCM said:
Thanks

What do you do for ammo?

Ammo is supposed to be more scarce than in the main game but when you're trying to get rid of the zombies from towns, there'll be plenty of ammo marked in chests that appear on the radar.

test_account

XP-39C²
Zoibie said:
Ammo is supposed to be more scarce than in the main game but when you're trying to get rid of the zombies from towns, there'll be plenty of ammo marked in chests that appear on the radar.
Searching every dead zombie also gives ammo. Not that much, but when searching many zombies, it could give a fair amount of ammo in total.

LQX

Undead Nightmare is best played with assist on so it auto-aims head shots at the Zombies. Made it a lot more fun for me and you then don't have to worry about losing towns.

Angry Fork

I hated RDR when I played it because it felt so empty and boring. It was drastically in need of RPG elements like Fallout. Hopefully a sequel does the trick, but I do miss seeing the nice vista's and weather.

I want to re-buy the game to try it out again but I'm waiting for a possible PC version for 60fps + 1080p, I doubt it's going to happen though especially since LA Noire is getting it before RDR of all games. If I get a cheap 360 in the future I'll probably get it on that.

Marco1

Sorry for the bump but I purchased a 360 and this game on Friday as I was fed up waiting for a PC release.
What a fantastic game that absolutely nailed the atmosphere of cowboy films such as outlaw josey wales.
The graphics, sound and characters are pure gold.
Sorry but I just can't help wondering how this would look on a modern PC, did rockstar ever give a reason for no PC release or do they just not need PC releases any more?

Hey You

Marco1 said:
Sorry for the bump but I purchased a 360 and this game on Friday as I was fed up waiting for a PC release.
What a fantastic game that absolutely nailed the atmosphere of cowboy films such as outlaw josey wales.
The graphics, sound and characters are pure gold.
Sorry but I just can't help wondering how this would look on a modern PC, did rockstar ever give a reason for no PC release or do they just not need PC releases any more?
No reason, just said there are no plans for RDR PC. I'm surprised they didn't considering how well it sold on Consoles and knowing there's a demand for it.

TheExplodingHead said:
Pretty much both, but you'll be using lock-on 99% of the time. The "free aim" is just so damn precise and tiny that it makes aiming a huge hassle. But it's just like GTAIV where you lock-on and then adjust the aim freely within the general lock-on area.

I find that the aiming reticule made the aiming more precise, but not a huge hassle. In fact, not at all. I was and still am a great shot. When it comes to the shooting, RDR is the best game I've ever played. I hope you know that using lock on completely destroys the fun and challenge of the game. How are you going to feel like a gunslinger when you can't even sling a gun?

Hey You

user friendly said:
Guess the patch/DLC is live as I just got prompted to update.

23MB, PS3 version.
Yep:

In preparation for this week's release of the free Myths and Mavericks Bonus Pack, a new title update for both Red Dead Redemption & Undead Nightmare is now live. You will be prompted to download the update upon signing into PlayStation Network or Xbox LIVE and starting up the game.

This title update includes:

• Return of Undead Overrun to original rules (extended sudden death, no explosive spit)
  • Fixes for several multiplayer exploits, including invincibility, invisibility, flying, and rapid-fire
  • Fix for exploit which resulted in use of Undead weapons in Free Roam
  • The addition of an option to exit Undead Overrun without sacrificing XP
  • Fix for killing other players in Friendly Free Roam by cooking dynamite
  • Fix for a Poker exploit that resulted in rapid accumulation of money
  • Fix for occasionally being unable to move after crashing in a wagon
  • Fix for Nuevo Paraiso bounties being reset upon loading a save
  • Fix for System Link issue on Xbox 360

If you encounter any issues downloading this title update or need to report any technical problems, please contact our support team through any of the following means:
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/18791/new-title-update-now-available-for-red-dead-redemption-undead-ni.html

Yen

xxracerxx said:
I just read the first page of this thread...

MEXICO!
:O :O

Clearly I'm not that far into the game, must be spending too much time with Wanted posters

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yenrot said:
I just read the first page of this thread...

MEXICO!
:O :O

Clearly I'm not that far into the game, must be spending too much time with Wanted posters
It all helps your percentage so keep at it.

mf.luder

Arcipello said:
I wish I could erase my memory of this game so I could play it again fresh... A PC port would be nice too;)

Same. Loved every minute of it. Loading it back up now to take advantage of the DLC.

dangrib

This has been my favorite game this gen.

I know it's standard R* fare but they nailed the setting so much I want more and more.

The fact they didn't commit single player DLC like they did with GTA and LA Noire disappointed me. I hope they're working on a sequel/prequel right now.

Just started playing the game again myself because my girlfriend wanted to see it. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time. I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I will just walk around on foot or slowly on a horse through a town and listen to the npcs chatting and all the different sounds. It gets you total soaked up in the atmosphere. In my opinion, nobody makes open-worlds like Rockstar. I mean GOD DAMN!!

Fjordson

keltickennedy said:
Just started playing the game again myself because my girlfriend wanted to see it. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time. I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I will just walk around on foot or slowly on a horse through a town and listen to the npcs chatting and all the different sounds. It gets you total soaked up in the atmosphere. In my opinion, nobody makes open-worlds like Rockstar. I mean GOD DAMN!!
Couldn't be more correct, good sir.

And I'm with you dangrib, the GTA IV episodes were great. I mean I loved Undead Nightmare, but one or two more single-player packs set in the regular Red Dead world would have been great. I wouldn't be surprised if they're already in the beginning stages of development for another Red Dead. Tough to walk away from a franchise for too long after selling over 10 million copies, but I'm sure we won't see it for many years =(

Jijidasu

I finally got around to playing RDR this week and boy, I am overwhelmed by the brilliant execution of the game.

Any word on a followup to this or are we all still left waiting for an announcement?

Fjordson

Autumn Thread said:
Any word on a followup to this or are we all still left waiting for an announcement?
Not even a whisper as of now. R* is focused on Max Payne 3 right now. Then they have Agent and presumably GTA V in the works. I wouldn't expect any sort of concrete info on another Red Dead for at least a year or two =(

Fjordson said:
Not even a whisper as of now. R* is focused on Max Payne 3 right now. Then they have Agent and presumably GTA V in the works. I wouldn't expect any sort of concrete info on another Red Dead for at least a year or two =(

I wouldn't expect news on a RDR sequel for at least 3-4 years. Let's not forget that GTAIV released in April 2008, and here we are in September 2011 with not even a peep about that franchise. Red Dead Revolution is 2014/2015 at the earliest.

Tokubetsu

Net_Wrecker said:
I wouldn't expect news on a RDR sequel for at least 3-4 years. Let's not forget that GTAIV released in April 2008, and here we are in September 2011 with not even a peep about that franchise. Red Dead Revolution is 2014/2015 at the earliest.

Yea, my bet is it'll probably be a next generation of console game (if we ever get around to that).

Tokubetsu said:
Yea, my bet is it'll probably be a next generation of console game (if we ever get around to that).

Definitely. Doing it on this generation would be a total waste. There's still so much untapped potential for this franchise, but not with these limitations. I'll gladly wait for a real sequel instead of a half step.

cripterion

Not expecting a sequel yet but would still love to have a port for the pc. I look at GTAIV and I imagine the potential for modding in this game.

Dead Man

Net_Wrecker said:
Definitely. Doing it on this generation would be a total waste. There's still so much untapped potential for this franchise, but not with these limitations. I'll gladly wait for a real sequel instead of a half step.
I'd take another entry this gen in a heartbeat. As long as the world was as fully developed, I don't really care if the graphics are improved or not.

peetfeet

The free Myths and Mavericks Bonus Pack is now on XBox Live according to R*

No sign on the PSN yet though.

Edit: will be on the US PSN store later this afternoon when the shop updates. When's that usually? I assume it will go on EU store around the same time?

kuYuri

Here's your GotY Edition on Oct. 11 for $50:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-of-the-year-edition-coming-this-october.html

reddeadgoty_packshot.jpg

Angry Fork

Strider2K99 said:
50$ is annoying considering I don't care about any of the multi player stuff, just the main game and Undead, but even then I suppose that's what it would cost for both of them put together. I'm so on the fence only because I'm hoping for a PC version. Why can't Rockstar stop being dicks and just tell us whether they're doing it or not as a final answer, what the hell is the point of the secrecy.

Hey You

Angry Fork said:
50$ is annoying considering I don't care about any of the multi player stuff, just the main game and Undead, but even then I suppose that's what it would cost for both of them put together. I'm so on the fence only because I'm hoping for a PC version. Why can't Rockstar stop being dicks and just tell us whether they're doing it or not as a final answer, what the hell is the point of the secrecy.
They've said many times, flat out that they have no plans for a PC version.

Hey You said:
They've said many times, flat out that they have no plans for a PC version.

It seems Rockstar does have a lot of projects going on at the moment. Especially seems like they are ramping up announcements and marketing for Max Payne 3. I think if there was going to be a PC version of RDR, I would want them to take their time porting it over. Hopefully, not having the same hiccups GTAIV PC had when it was first released, then eventually getting fixed after some patches.

Goldrusher

Maybe San Diego games are (too) difficult to port ?
Their games of the past decade, those with a PC release in bold:

(2000) Midtown Madness 2
(2000) Midnight Club: Street Racing
(2000) Smuggler's Run
(2001) Smuggler's Run 2: Hostile Territory
(2001) Transworld Surf
(2001) Test Drive Off-Road Wide Open
(2002) Smuggler's Run: Warzones
(2003) Midnight Club II
(2004) Red Dead Revolver
(2005) Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition
(2006) Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis
(2008) Midnight Club: Los Angeles
(2010) Red Dead Redemption

zkylon

zkylewd
I borrowed this from a friend and i've been playing it since last week. Can't see why everyone loved the story so much, i find it constantly fails to live up to its initial promise. The rest is pretty decent, the landscapes and bounty hunting and the gang hideout missions are my favorite things about the game. I just don't see why it got so much praise. Might be i'm not so in love with Westerns.

Fjordson

zkylon said:
Might be i'm not so in love with Westerns.
Probably.

The literal plot isn't some huge revelation for storytelling. Man with shady past gets pulled back in because of some threat to his family has been done before. It's just that it's done really well here with some great characters and superb writing, laced with interesting sub-themes about America during that time (increasing government influence on people's way of life, rapid advancement of technology, mistreatment of American Indians, etc.).

It's got a great ending as well. And late title card. Totally bad ass late title card.

I'm curious about that new hardcore difficulty of the GOTY version.

Also, is this the first time PS3-exclusive (free) content of a multiplatform game is coming to the 360? (Solomon’s Folly)

Top Bottom