• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

DXPett1

Tokubetsu said:
I'm finally sitting down to finish Undead Nightmare and I can't find desert sage anywhere. Fuck Wild Feverfew

Pretty sure there is a Survivalist map you can buy from the shops which increase the range the flowers show up on your mini-map. Grab one, go to the area that The Dutch Slayer pointed out, use the map and you'll have Desert Sage coming out of your orifices

DXPett1 said:
Pretty sure there is a Survivalist map you can buy from the shops which increase the range the flowers show up on your mini-map. Grab one, go to the area that The Dutch Slayer pointed out, use the map and you'll have Desert Sage coming out of your orifices
There are no shops in UN, otherwise this would have worked ;)

Pressing down on the d-pad makes the mini map show more area, that should help finding the flowers.

DXPett1

MrTroubleMaker said:
There are no shops in UN, otherwise this would have worked ;)

ooooh.. haha my mistake. I'll admit, I just focused on the storyline in UN and haven't played it since completing the storyline.

Tokubetsu

Got it. Thanks guys. Grabbed the UD score on amazon too. Thinking about grabbing the physical copies of both from R* later. It's pretty amazing how well R* nailed this damn game.

Hey everyone,

Awesome game. I am loving this so far. Hunting animals is a blast and the game continually surprises me.

One problem I AM having though, is with the fame system. I did every mission in Mexico wearing my bandanna and noticed I wasn't getting honor or fame.

Well it turns out I am maxed out in Honor, and after taking the bandanna off, I see the "fame bar" reappear now, but It dosnt seem to be moving when I get more fame.

Is this a known glitch/does anyone know how to fix it?

Is it possible my fame is just moving REALLY slowly to the point that I dont see it moving? The bar seems frozen at about 1/4 of the way filled :(

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: NVM its just moving REALLY slow!

Guevara

Truant said:
Need a sequel to this. With deeper RPG elements. Set 40 years before RDR, you play as Ricketts. Drool.
I'm not necessarily sold on that scenario, but I absolute agree there needs to be a sequel. I don't think it can be set later than 1911 (or whatever) as that was already too late to be believable, so I agree a prequel is a better idea.

iNvidious01 said:
need it on PC first though, i'm gonna replay it soon but hoping that a surprise PC announcement comes

This game is so beautiful sometimes, that it's a crime against nature to keep it confined to a heavily-aliased 720p.

I keep trying to play it, but keep putting it off in hopes of Rockstar coming to their senses.

oneils

I was in Walmart this Thursday and noticed that they priced dropped RDR to 20 bucks. At that price I couldn't resist.

Finally got a chance to try it out today. Played it for 7 hours straight, and for about 9 hours total today. Haven't done that with a game for a while.

I have the PS3 version. After the visual mess of GTAIV, I was kind of worried it would look terrible. However, it looks fantastic. Do GTAIV and RDR share the same engine?

Truant said:
Need a sequel to this. With deeper RPG elements. Set 40 years before RDR, you play as Ricketts. Drool.
I'd love a Southwest more "tangy" flavor of Western.

More towns too. The world felt kinda empty. That's my only gripe about RDR.

Rikyfree

oneils said:
I was in Walmart this Thursday and noticed that they priced dropped RDR to 20 bucks. At that price I couldn't resist.

Finally got a chance to try it out today. Played it for 7 hours straight, and for about 9 hours total today. Haven't done that with a game for a while.

I have the PS3 version. After the visual mess of GTAIV, I was kind of worried it would look terrible. However, it looks fantastic. Do GTAIV and RDR share the same engine?
Pick up Undead Nightmare. It's on the cheap right now at $5. Better pick it up soon.

TouchMyBox said:
This game is so beautiful sometimes, that it's a crime against nature to keep it confined to a heavily-aliased 720p.

I keep trying to play it, but keep putting it off in hopes of Rockstar coming to their senses.

Was sure that this had been announced on PC, wtf happened? Would so double-dip, just for the looks and mod potential.

I'll probably get my a** kicked for saying this, but I thought the PS3 version looked poor.

iNvid02

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Was sure that this had been announced on PC, wtf happened? Would so double-dip, just for the looks and mod potential.

I'll probably get my a** kicked for saying this, but I thought the PS3 version looked poor.

someone will be round shortly to headbutt you

it was proven that the PS3 version was inferior to 360, pretty heated debate about it when the game released. I still enjoyed it though, but was cheesed off at how a friend's looked on 360, the difference was pretty obvious.

And no announcements for PC, although they said la noire is coming to PC this year so maybe they will give rdr the platform it deserves, would play again

tl;dr: Longish post explaining one reason why Rockstar failed the 'open world interactivity' process this generation.

CrankyJay said:
Besides, something about this gen's Rockstar open world games have just lost me. It's weird, it's like I have no interest in doing ANY of the ambient freeplay stuff, even though I did all the mundane tasks in The Saboteur and Infamous and even Assassin's Creed II.

Y'know, I think part of this is because Rockstar missed the mark with sidequests in their open world games this generation. It wasn't as bad with RDR, but still not quite what it should be, but especially with GTAIV -- the things that you did on the side had no impact on the game except for something like "you get money."

In Assassins Creed, if you, say, defeat all of the templar temples or find all of the feathers, there are meaningful impacts to gameplay... You don't run into as many bad guys, you have fewer "head quarters" for the bad guys, or it gives you a special addition to Ezio that you wouldn't otherwise have.

But, in GTAIV, the side quests provided no extra bonus, and the world around you was really not interactive... So doing something on the side really didn't do much for the character, other than 'get money' (and when there's nothing to spend your money on this is kind of pointless). In RDR this was alleviated with the "Wilderness Journal" or whatever it was, it was a smart addition that kept you exploring, but it still wasn't to the level of Assassin's Creed or Fallout 3/NV's interaction with the non-story world.

bill0527

Last time I posted in this thread was probably a couple hundred pages back. A year or so later and I still think this is the best game I've played this generation.

Ending spoiler:
and I'm still fuming mad they killed Marston so we can't have him in a sequel

Hey You

Winnie the Pimp said:
I just finished the main game... great game, is Undead Nightmare worth it for mainly SP or is it an MP based expansion?
Totally worth it, best SP DLC I've ever spent my money on. The Multiplayer portion is fun with a decent team (Undead Overrun).

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
bill0527 said:
Last time I posted in this thread was probably a couple hundred pages back. A year or so later and I still think this is the best game I've played this generation.

Ending spoiler:
and I'm still fuming mad they killed Marston so we can't have him in a sequel
Who says it has to be a
sequel and not a prequel
?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't win the second race couple of months ago, still can't win it. I guess that's it for me.

Blizniak said:
Couldn't win the second race couple of months ago, still can't win it. I guess that's it for me.
Wrangle a better horse. Look for a black, white, or grey one. Those are generally the best ones. It depends how far you are in the game too. You may be limited to what kind of horses you can ride depending on what areas have been opened to you. Racing isn't so bad but the course you are required to race on is a little tight and easy to loose bearing on. Just keep failing the mission till you memorize it.

Cudder

You know, I've been wanting to play this game for the LONGEST time, but every time I see it in stores and have the urge to buy it, I always remind myself of my backlog. I simply cannot get into a huge free-roaming game right now lol. In due time...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Cudder said:
You know, I've been wanting to play this game for the LONGEST time, but every time I see it in stores and have the urge to buy it, I always remind myself of my backlog. I simply cannot get into a huge free-roaming game right now lol. In due time...

If you enjoy stories that take place in the Old West than you might be surprised how easy it would be for you to get into a huge free-roaming game right now. :p

alphaNoid

Banned
Truant said:
Marston is the best protagonist in any game (IMO :)) but Ricketts? FUCK YES!

Wiggum2007 said:
How about a completely different story altogether, a la every GTA installment?

Because then we can't play Marston, and honestly ... he made the game. He was 90% of all the good.

Cudder said:
My personal GOTG(eneration), for whats its worth. I have personally recommended it to over 10 people, made them buy and haven't heard one complain. Its deep, its rich, it has some of the best developed characters, voice acting and ending I can ever remember. Most every game you play between now and when you start RDR will honestly pale in comparison. They will all feel like games, whereas RDR feels like an experience.

Do not wait, and make sure to finish the game. And by finish I mean, its not over until the credits roll.

emalord

Hi everyone.
Even if RED DEAD REDEMPTION has no photo-mode, I always thought I had to post some photo-sets on my blog because I really love the western atmosphere since my first Sergio Leone movie when I was a kid (later on I discovered also the classic american westerns)

Here are some of my screenshots from the Xbox360 version. ARMADILLO is online, THIEVES LANDING is scheduled for October. As I get new stuff, I'll share it with you.

6050221725_533096ddf1_z.jpg

6050314353_f655f17978_z.jpg

6050217129_6cbfdc33f7_z.jpg

6053139067_7003967e11_z.jpg

6053141483_10738590f8_z.jpg

6050782790_a10a929388_z.jpg

6050245475_de22fa63a7_z.jpg

6050268165_0fc08d52ee_z.jpg

emalord said:
Hi everyone.
Even if RED DEAD REDEMPTION has no photo-mode, I always thought I had to post some photo-sets on my blog because I really love the western atmosphere since my first Sergio Leone movie when I was a kid (later on I discovered also the classic american westerns)

Here are some of my screenshots from the Xbox360 version. ARMADILLO is online, THIEVES LANDING is scheduled for October. As I get new stuff, I'll share it with you.

Great workdude, I really liked your blog.

I also am a keen "photographer" of games. I've Got folders and folders of PC game pictures. Recently I've been thinking of getting something that can take pictures/record from console games, like Red Dead etc...Do you have any idea on what to buy?

Thanks!

emalord

The English Conquistador said:
Great workdude, I really liked your blog.

I also am a keen "photographer" of games. I've Got folders and folders of PC game pictures. Recently I've been thinking of getting something that can take pictures/record from console games, like Red Dead etc...Do you have any idea on what to buy?

Thanks!

I bought a BLACKMAGIC INTENSITY PRO.
Sometimes I'm not satisfied with the compression of the screenshots and I have to post-edit them via photoshop for a little extra smooth and antialiasing.
But in general it's okai. Many people told me it's a good price/quality deal, I have to trust someone :)

emalord said:
I bought a BLACKMAGIC INTENSITY PRO.
Sometimes I'm not satisfied with the compression of the screenshots and I have to post-edit them via photoshop for a little extra smooth and antialiasing.
But in general it's okai. Many people told me it's a good price/quality deal, I have to trust someone :)

Ah that's funny, I was looking through this thread recently: http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f10/official-xbox-360-game-screenshots-60100/
And the guy posting all the screens was using the BlackMagic Intensity Pro as well, so thank you for telling me about that. I guess I'll have to save up for it now. :)

Are the pictures usually small, or do they come out larger? I wish they came out at 1080p, but I guess that's impossible right?

Thanks again. :)

emalord

The English Conquistador said:
Ah that's funny, I was looking through this thread recently: http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f10/official-xbox-360-game-screenshots-60100/
And the guy posting all the screens was using the BlackMagic Intensity Pro as well, so thank you for telling me about that. I guess I'll have to save up for it now. :)

Are the pictures usually small, or do they come out larger? I wish they came out at 1080p, but I guess that's impossible right?

Thanks again. :)

Nope: any source via HDMI is censored because of the consoles' HDCP protocol.
It means: you will see a black screen on your pc if you try to connect your console to a screen grab device like this via HDMI cable (as we saw green DVDs with Ps2+ RGB cable)
You can grab screenshots only via component cable>max resolution 1080i (but of course it's better 720p).

Tokubetsu

emalord said:
Hi everyone.

Added to my RSS feed.

emalord

Hi guys, I’m so happy with my Red Dead Portfolio I can’t resist posting today my THIEVES LANDING photo-set, which was scheduled for the first week of October.
If the settings of your screen tend to dark, you might have some issues with the darkest ones, but THIEVES LANDING is such an atmospheric place, that dark setting is quite natural. And a dark saloon ist THE way it has to be.
Another reason I’m posting this photo-set sooner ist that my MACFARLAND RANCH photo-set is ready sooner than I thought, and It’s getting even better than this one. I’m now quite used to trick the fix camera and the outcomes are very natural screenshots. But you’ll see it soon! :)

6050268165_0fc08d52ee_b.jpg

emalord

randomwab said:
Your photos remind me of my rage at no PC port. Fucking Rockstar. :(

Well, considering how this game can be beautiful on a simple Xbox360, I can’t imagine how it could be on a high-end PC. Plus future mods (GTA anyone?).
On the other side, its console nature, the absence of a photo-mode and the need of a screne-grab device allow me to be one of the few to have this kind of stuff in the whole internet.
Less competitors = More visitors.
So it’s kind of a bittersweet thing.

PaNaMa

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Every time this thread gets bumped I expect it to be about the release of the new free dlc which was announced 2 months ago. :(

Every time this thread gets bumped I dare to dream of a "RDR coming to PC" announcement.
Then i cry.

I just made myself cry.

After getting Undead Nightmare on release I finally started really playing it... and honestly, I just can't get into it. Seems like every mission is just... go to an area, kill a million zombies, move on. I dunno, maybe I'm missing out on something obvious. I just shut it off after getting frustrated... I was doing some mission where I had to burn coffins, and so I burned like 5 coffins, and then just like dozens of enemies kept coming out of the ground, so I'd run around burning them, and had to keep doing this for like 10 minutes... Finally some big creature killed me and when I hit "start from checkpoint" it put my back to my last save which was like .. 15 in came minutes, and I was just like "Wtf."

I dunno, not that impressed with U.N. thus far.

Parch

I just finished the main story. Terrific game. Perhaps my favourite of all time.
I probably won't have the patience to get 100% but will mess around with it for awhile longer before I move onto Undead.

Rockstar needs to make a full sized prequel and/or sequel asap.

emalord said:
Hi guys, I’m so happy with my Red Dead Portfolio I can’t resist posting today my THIEVES LANDING photo-set, which was scheduled for the first week of October.
If the settings of your screen tend to dark, you might have some issues with the darkest ones, but THIEVES LANDING is such an atmospheric place, that dark setting is quite natural. And a dark saloon ist THE way it has to be.
Another reason I’m posting this photo-set sooner ist that my MACFARLAND RANCH photo-set is ready sooner than I thought, and It’s getting even better than this one. I’m now quite used to trick the fix camera and the outcomes are very natural screenshots. But you’ll see it soon! :)

6050268165_0fc08d52ee_b.jpg

Brilliant stuff mate. If you could get some shots of the vistas overlooking Hennigan's Stead and some shots of Tall Trees I'd be eternally grateful.

MDJCM

I gave Undead Nightmare a quick blast but I quickly drowned in zombies and ran out of ammo. What is the strategy here? Is it a full game or just a Horde mode game?

Can you guys give me some pointers? I love Red Dead and I like zombie games so I dunno why I'm not getting on with this one :s

Top Bottom