• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

SonnyBoy

Shocked to see this thread bumped. I just picked this game up last week and I love it. Can you guys give me any tips?

Quick question.

I've killed like 1000 deer but my hunter count won't increase. It's telling me that I need 5 deer pelt. Am I killing the wrong? LOL I hunt them and get everything from the body but pelt for some reason.

Dakota47

subversus said:
is it the one with
the cannibal
?

They are chain of missions that always start when
you approach a man wearing a black suit and a top hat. You will find him the first time overlooking a cliff on the way from the Hennigan's Stead to Armadillo.

gioGAF

Has there been any word on a GOTY / Ultimate edition of RDR? I would be interested in getting this, but I don't do the DLC / Add-on shenanigans.

gioGAF said:
Has there been any word on a GOTY / Ultimate edition of RDR? I would be interested in getting this, but I don't do the DLC / Add-on shenanigans.
Nothing yet, just a separate retail release of Undead Nightmare

gioGAF said:
Well Rockstar really doesn't do GOTY/Ultimate editions. Doesn't mean you should deprive yourself.

Z_Y

gioGAF said:
I, like you, was waiting for a goty bundle but the DLC was on sale last week for 1000msp and RDR was on the buy 2 get 1 free Amazon deal last week....I finally pulled the trigger.

Game is worth it. The DLC seems to go on sale a lot too.

Well Rockstar really doesn't do GOTY/Ultimate editions. Doesn't mean you should deprive yourself.

They put out a GTA4 release with our all 3 stories, didn't they? Thought I saw that...

Fjordson

Z_Y said:
They put out a GTA4 release with our all 3 stories, didn't they? Thought I saw that...
Yeah, Grand Theft Auto IV complete edition.

If you're interested in having every little piece of multiplayer DLC then maybe wait for a GOTY edition. If you don't really care about multiplayer, then $36 for the base game plus $10 for Undead Nightmare is more than worth it.

Dead Man

SonnyBoy said:
Shocked to see this thread bumped. I just picked this game up last week and I love it. Can you guys give me any tips?

Quick question.

I've killed like 1000 deer but my hunter count won't increase. It's telling me that I need 5 deer pelt. Am I killing the wrong? LOL I hunt them and get everything from the body but pelt for some reason.
There are bucks and deer I think, make sure you are getting the right ones.

Minamu

Well, the game and Undead Nightmare is now completed :D However, even though I have 100% in both, there's still a stranger logo in Casa Madrugada in UN that I can't reach. I think it's underground? Have I not reached the end of the Un story or something? Can't think of anything left to do.

Hyunkel6

I just got to Mexico. Is there a way to go back to the north at this juncture or do I have to finish all the mexican missions first?

Hey You

Hyunkel6 said:
I just got to Mexico. Is there a way to go back to the north at this juncture or do I have to finish all the mexican missions first?
If I'm remembering correctly,You can cross the bridges at any time.

CAW

A buddy and I bought the PS3 version of the game ($19.83 at Walmart). I have the 360 version already and have played it for awhile but he only has a PS3.

Anyway, my question is. Can we join a party or something before or in-game that will allow us to use our blue tooth headsets so that we can talk back and forth without others hearing us? I know on the Xbox 360 I can join a party and then join a game and be able to talk with the people in the party without the people in the game hearing us. Is there anything like this available on the PS3 or in the game?

I remember in GTAIV PS3, we'd have to 'call' one another in game using the in-game cell phone.

Hey You

CAW said:
A buddy and I bought the PS3 version of the game ($19.83 at Walmart). I have the 360 version already and have played it for awhile but he only has a PS3.

Anyway, my question is. Can we join a party or something before or in-game that will allow us to use our blue tooth headsets so that we can talk back and forth without others hearing us? I know on the Xbox 360 I can join a party and then join a game and be able to talk with the people in the party without the people in the game hearing us. Is there anything like this available on the PS3 or in the game?

I remember in GTAIV PS3, we'd have to 'call' one another in game using the in-game cell phone.
No, there isn't.

Goldrusher

CrankyJay said:
I just want to say, the "I Know You" mini missions are creepy.
They sure are.

(spoilers if you haven't finished the game)

Many believe he is God.
Also, in his final mission, he is standing on the spot where John will be buried...

Strange Man: Ain't this a beautiful spot?

John: Sure. What are you doing here?

Strange Man: My accounts. I'm an accountant.

John: Is that so?

Strange Man: In a way.

John: What's your name?

Strange Man: You know, its the darndest thing, but I can't remember.

John: Tell me your damn name and where you know me from!

Strange Man: Well, I know you from Mexico, and I know you from back out West. I know you from all over.

John: Tell me your name, or I won't be responsible for my actions.

Strange Man: Oh, but you will. You will be responsible. This is a fine spot. See you around, cowboy.

John: Damn you!

Strange Man: Yes, many have.

Hey You

Hyunkel6 said:
Great news. They mentioned a "return to the original Undead Overrun multiplayer mode settings" too. Anyone know what were the original settings?
I asked this question in the comments and they said in overtime the spitter won't kill you in one hit or something.

I hope they have come up with more changes for Undead overrun, but I'm not holding my breath.

B-Dex

Wal-Mart has Red Dead up in Canada for 15 bucks.

Tempted to get it but not sure if wal-mart made them edit it in any way. haha

SillyPuty

CAW said:
Damn, that sucks. So if we're playing MP, or in a 'free roam' MP server, can everyone hear us, or is it sound by proximity?

It's proximity. However, if you 'posse' up with people in MP you can hear them wherever you are in free roam (as long as you're in the same free roam). Also, if you push up on the D-pad you can broadcast your voice to everyone that's in the session.

Probably posted elsewhere already, but WalMart is selling the vanilla RDR for $20 now. They had an attractive aisle-standee advertising the low price and all the GOTY awards it won last year.

CrankyJay

Banned
Heh, I spoiled the ending for myself.

I still have some Jack and Uncle mission(s) left...I already know how the game ends, but my wife has been watching me play so I'll finish the game for her since she doesn't know the ending. The terrains in this game are wonderful, but I just don't have the time to explore everything or do the hunting and other things to get platinum in this game.

Anybody else get that glitch at the last Marston cutscene
where he's peeking through the barn doors at all the lawmen, and you can see his son behind him with his arms out like Jesus
???

Weirdest glitch I ever experienced because at the time I didn't know it was a glitch. Which is saying something in a game chock full of hilarious glitches. And if this game hits PC, I'm buying it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
CrankyJay said:

I still have some Jack and Uncle mission(s) left...I already know how the game ends, but my wife has been watching me play so I'll finish the game for her since she doesn't know the ending. The terrains in this game are wonderful, but I just don't have the time to explore everything or do the hunting and other things to get platinum in this game.
Why would you stop playing a game just because you know how it ends?

Hey You

CrankyJay said:

Yeah, sadly I did too just before I got the game. I still found the ending to be emotional.

-COOLIO- said:
im tempted to buy this at walmart

does it have free aiming or lock on?

Pretty much both, but you'll be using lock-on 99% of the time. The "free aim" is just so damn precise and tiny that it makes aiming a huge hassle. But it's just like GTAIV where you lock-on and then adjust the aim freely within the general lock-on area.

CrankyJay

Banned
xxracerxx said:
Why would you stop playing a game just because you know how it ends?

Well, I'm not going to stop playing this one. But my time is valuable, yo.

Besides, something about this gen's Rockstar open world games have just lost me. It's weird, it's like I have no interest in doing ANY of the ambient freeplay stuff, even though I did all the mundane tasks in The Saboteur and Infamous and even Assassin's Creed II.

It probably has to do with the fact that you need online trophies to get platinum in RDR. It probably turned me off.

edit: Finished it. It was definitely emotional. A very good game. I wish I had the patience and time to do all the extra stuff as I do like to collect trophies.

Top Bottom