• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
chandoog said:
How else would watching a western be any more suitable ? :p

anyway, I doubt this will last long with the R* ninja's prowling this thread :(

he's been on pretty much all day and night

IMPRESSIONS!

Really really good game.
Feels so much better than GTA4

-Graphics are beautiful! When the sun is rising and its passing through the clouds they all light up and look really nice. Also at night time they have these little lanterns around the town so i shot one and it exploded into a fireball which looked really impressive and the ground below caught fire. Draw distance great aswell.

-Movement feels very fluid and just overall better than GTA4.

-That slowmo feature is great, I love how it distorts the sound when shooting and brightens up the screen.

Ive mainly been just screwing around, did maybe the first 3 missions.

-The towns and settlements feel really alive.

-I was riding my horse and i saw a train and ended riding along side of it. I didnt know how to jump onto it (of if thats even possible?) so what i did was ride up to the train cabin bit, activated that slowmo thing and shot the driver in the head making the train come to a stop. I then jumped on and killed all the passengers and looted their bodies. That was fun but i was dissaponted that you cant drive the train. No prompts or anything come up (maybe later on in the game?)

-Not sure yet on the whole killing someone before the alert the town. I tried to rob a store and once the guy had his hands up and it was over i tried to knife him but messed up and he got outside and told everyone. Another time i did stab him but the door was open and everyone outside saw anyway. Ive got to master that yet.

But overall this game kicks ass.

JambiBum

The vidya guy can be funny sometimes. I watched him help a character herd some cattle before a huge thunderstorm came earlier. The chat is ridiculous though :/

Also, since he is playing a pirated version you get the occasional glitch like right now. A woman is standing up but looks like she is leaning against a table.

Barrett2

If any NYC people know where i can get this today, spread the wealth... I got a hankering to cut up a coyote real bad... Then chase a bear through a stream, then shoot up some innocent folks in a town square, then form a posse and ride against some other GAFfers and smoke em' out of their camp!

*hype stroke*

eXistor

It'd be really cool if one of the cheats would spawn a deLorean. I'm excited as fuck about this, but I think I'm preaching to the choir here.

JambiBum

So the guy on the vidya stream just shot a guy's kneecaps out and walked up to him while the guy was trying to steady his pistol. As soon as he got up to him he put his gun to his head and just blew him away. It was pretty fucking awesome.

Gravijah

eXistor said:
It'd be really cool if one of the cheats would spawn a deLorean. I'm excited as fuck about this, but I think I'm preaching to the choir here.

It'd be really cool if one of the cheats was a fucking 4X4. Could you imagine driving through the terrain in this game in a truck?

JambiBum said:
So the guy on the vidya stream just shot a guy's kneecaps out and walked up to him while the guy was trying to steady his pistol. As soon as he got up to him he put his gun to his head and just blew him away. It was pretty fucking awesome.

Not gonna lie, I used to go into the fast food places in GTAIV and execute the people as they sat with their heads covered up. Man these games turn me into a horrible person...

JambiBum said:

Hnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg

JambiBum

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Hnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg

That was pretty much my reaction. Also the fact that you can shoot the lights in the game and it will cause fires is a nice touch. Guy hiding behind cover with a lantern nearby? Shoot it and watch him burn.

GreekWolf

JambiBum said:
Also, since he is playing a pirated version you get the occasional glitch like right now. A woman is standing up but looks like she is leaning against a table.
You missed the best glitch in that stream. He walked into a saloon and a horse was standing at the bar :lol He rode that horse up the stairs into the whore rooms.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
JambiBum said:

You do realize that a pirated copy of a game is just that, right? A copy. No more or less prone to glitches or bugs than a retail version. Any bugs you see in the stream will more than likely be in the retail version too.

TxdoHawk

Gravijah said:
It'd be really cool if one of the cheats was a fucking 4X4. Could you imagine driving through the terrain in this game in a truck?

Not gonna lie, I used to go into the fast food places in GTAIV and execute the people as they sat with their heads covered up. Man these games turn me into a horrible person...

I always liked to run into the broom person and knock them over. And then of course, the street preacher outside the one safehouse...Rockstar should have had a globally tracked stat on how much that guy gets abused. :lol

GreekWolf

Seraphis Cain said:
You do realize that a pirated copy of a game is just that, right? A copy. No more or less prone to glitches or bugs than a retail version. Any bugs you see in the stream will more than likely be in the retail version too.
I was under the impression that modded consoles are the culprit.

Not starting a console war, but is it true that the PlayStation 3 is the lead development platform for this? Interesting, if true.
Where did you read that nonsense, on youtube? I've never heard of a lead platform showing zero gameplay footage until release.

JambiBum

GreekWolf said:
You missed the best glitch in that stream. He walked into a saloon and a horse was standing at the bar :lol He rode that horse up the stairs into the whore rooms.
:lol :lol He was just chasing a train and his horse ran into it and fell over, bucking him off. He stood up and his horse was just laying there. Walked up to the horse and just jumped on it's side. It looked like he was riding a dead horse. Then all of a sudden the horse jumped to it's feet and took off after the train :lol

TxdoHawk

Seraphis Cain said:

Not always, especially with game engines like this, where content is streamed constantly. Said engines are expecting entirely different load speeds compared to what, say, a hastily-burned copy will typically provide.

GreekWolf said:
You missed the best glitch in that stream. He walked into a saloon and a horse was standing at the bar :lol

I almost hope that's an intentional joke. "So a horse walks into a bar..."

MacBosse

Seraphis Cain said:

Not quite so, a pirate copy have alot more risk of various kinds of disc failures. This can cause alot of problems in games that stream alot (like Red Dead).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
GreekWolf said:
I was under the impression that modded consoles are the culprit.

I won't say that it's impossible, but it's highly unlikely.

Most of that stuff about modded consoles/pirated games somehow being glitchier or buggier than legit ones falls into two categories:

1. Uninformed speculation that eventually becomes accepted (see: every schoolyard rumor about Pokemon/Mario/Mortal Kombat/etc. ever)

2. Misleading information intentionally created in an attempt to curb piracy (Kinda the same as "Don't masturbate or you'll go blind")

Not trying to defend piracy here or anything, far from it. Just trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

TxdoHawk said:
Not always, especially with game engines like this, where content is streamed constantly. Said engines are expecting entirely different load speeds compared to what, say, a hastily-burned copy will typically provide.

Okay, I didn't take that factor into account. Yeah, I suppose that could indeed have a bearing on a game's performance.

JambiBum said:

Yeah there are death animations in the game.
Like if u creep up behind someone with the knife and kill, it zooms in and does this throat slit animation

Barrett2

GreekWolf said:
Glitch, or amazing feature?

Denzar

Not starting a console war, but is it true that the PlayStation 3 is the lead development platform for this? Interesting, if true.

Rockstar reps said development started on both platforms at the same time, but each platform has it's own team. So no lead platform at all.

Great impressions man... Can't bear the wait anymore...

(No pun intended).

I must say I am quite impressed with the game.
Got the chance to play the PS3 version at a friend's last night - for 1 hour or so.
Better than GTA4 IMO in most, if not every, way.
Only problem I had was with the horse-control. Seemed I had to hold X to maintain horse's gallop - a pain for me. Horse also appeared to have 4-5 stages of increased speed/pace.
Can't wait to pick up my copy on Tuesday.

Majine

Banned
The freeroaming is only for 16 people?

So it's not like we're going to suddenly meet a whole other gang in the middle of nowhere? :(

sw33tclyde said:
Damn, just finished watching Deadwood s1e01, so gud. Hopefully this can hold me until midnight on Monday.

Deadwood is only good for the fist season. Seasons 2 and 3 are nothing but a horrible disappointment.

Seriously, Deadwood probably has the most anti-climactic series ending EVER. Just watch season 1 and forget the other 2 even exists.

TxdoHawk

Majine said:
The freeroaming is only for 16 people?

So it's not like we're going to suddenly meet a whole other gang in the middle of nowhere? :(

It'd definitely be cool, but 16 players + an open world environment with wildlife and other characters is already asking a lot of your average peer-to-peer gaming session. You'd need dedicated servers to go much farther beyond that.

Majine

Banned
TxdoHawk said:
It'd definitely be cool, but 16 players + an open world environment with wildlife and other characters is already asking a lot of your average peer-to-peer gaming session. You'd need dedicated servers to go much farther beyond that.
I guess so. Was expecting a more MMO feel, if ya know...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Camper182 said:
bro, remove the link now. rockstar is watching

It doesnt matter, looks like R* doesnt care anymore. Channel got reported multiple times and still alive. Same goes for the livestream douche.

And if it gets shut down, trust me its for goods. We dont wanna spoil the game too much we all have been waiting for so long do we?

Camper182

Sn4ke_911 said:
It doesnt matter, looks like R* doesnt care anymore. Channel got reported multiple times and still alive. Same goes for the livestream douche.

And if it gets shut down, trust me its for goods. We dont wanna spoil the game too much we all have been waiting for so long do we?
ok

TheVampire said:
Yeah there are death animations in the game.
Like if u creep up behind someone with the knife and kill, it zooms in and does this throat slit animation

Awwwwww this is precisely the kind of thing I want to be hearing. I hope some missions have some legtimate stealth kills going on. Sounds fucking wonderful.

Barrett2

Can't believe this arrives the same day as Alan Wake. Wallet abuse!!!

Watched the stream for a few minutes. My god, the music is glorious.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Haunted said:
Alright, just sold some shitty games (FF something), ordered RDR and Galaxy.

Officially back on the Day 1 train!

Yeeeha!

Top Bottom