• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Crisis? What happened?
I can only assume the crisis is that recently he has been defending his movies and what he seeks to make. Like from what I remember reading he basically said he made Chappie how he wanted to make it and if it doesn't resonate with audiences it doesn't mean he will change. He will continue to make movies he wants to make with complete control.

jman2050

I was chuckling pretty hard when the montage of old monster movies set to generic bombastic orchestral movie music came up, I thought it was a pretty clever and effective satire RLM came up with to hammer home what a stupid idea this whole endeavor is.

And then that chuckling turned into confused incredulity when it dawned on me that it was an actual trailer.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I was chuckling pretty hard when the montage of old monster movies set to generic bombastic orchestral movie music came up, I thought it was a pretty clever and effective satire RLM came up with to hammer home what a stupid idea this whole endeavor is.

And then that chuckling turned into confused incredulity when it dawned on me that it was an actual trailer.

I had the exact same reaction when Mike and Jay implied that that whole mess wasn't just a joke edit of their own.

Grinchy

Banned
They were so right about the foreign market talk for The Mummy. Only $34M here in the states, but $140M already overseas. This horrible movie is gonna do just fine.

They were so right about the foreign market talk for The Mummy. Only $34M here in the states, but $140M already overseas. This horrible movie is gonna do just fine.

like I've said in other threads, it was blindly obvious from the trailers and posters they were aiming for Asia. It still needed to make a lot more domestic side to actually be profitable in any way though.

kwinston in the BO threads gives 70% per revenue on domestic and only 25% in China (I think), so they would need to make like 400 million in China just to get 100 million back, which they won't (even with some type of deal of 50% that would still mean 200m), and the domestic is tanking harder than the average oil tanker disaster, so the main 'get the budget back' line isn't there.
Short version: It's dead, Jim.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

This thing made almost twice as much overseas in one weekend as John Wick 2 did overseas in its entire run. Foreign audiences have fucking terrible taste.

Schlorgan

It was hilarious in one of the BO threads, someone shitposted about how the US loves "garbage Hollywood" movies like Fate of the Furious while somehow missing that 80% of that movie's gross was foreign.

you know? What a missed opportunity that Jack and Rich didn't bring Until Dawn to the rest of the gang and film a whole episode about all of their thoughts for the game with clips from them screaming choices and reacting to their fuck ups.

SpaceWolf

Banned
That ending joke was fantastic.

I feel like every Red Letter Media video now pretty much consists of Jay laughing uproariously to pretty much everything that comes out of Mike's mouth.

I have no complaints.

Also, kind of shocked to learn that RLM once attempted to make a serious horror movie. It looks just as bad as the kind of movies they like to mock on Best of the Worst.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It kind of made me want them to do a BOTW of their own material.

Literally the exact same thing flashed across my mind watching it. That might be a really fun thing to do for an upcoming anniversary of the company, or if their subscriber count hits the 1 million mark.

I think they're well aware their movies aren't particularly good, but come on guys. That looked infinitely better than the trash they tend to watch on BotW. At least they're self aware.

Joeku

I think they're well aware their movies aren't particularly good, but come on guys. That looked infinitely better than the trash they tend to watch on BotW. At least they're self aware.

g3NGufa.gif

It's a low budget horror film with a very simplistic plot and effects. As long as they keep away from issues that tend to haunt these low budget films, aka issues with writing, it could be decent in that B-movie style.

Unless y'all just consider most low budget B-movies bad. Isn't their other horror movie (Feeding Frenzy) supposed to be decent from those that have watched it?

Cheerilee

It's a perfect premise for an April Fools BOTW, really: just have a panel of 4 returning guests watch and lampoon 3 RLM films.

All guests? No RLM regulars at all? Ripping on RLM films? That sounds brilliant.

Could do Max Landis, Len Kabasinski, Freddy Williams, and the Canadians. That's five right there.

All guests? No RLM regulars at all? Ripping on RLM films? That sounds brilliant.

Could do Max Landis, Len Kabasinski, Freddy Williams, and the Canadians. That's five right there.

Aren't the canandians part of the rlm team? Get the psycho from texas she'd be a better guest fourth reviewer.

Cheerilee

Aren't the canandians part of the rlm team? Get the psycho from texas she'd be a better guest fourth reviewer.

The Canadians are special effects professionals working on "Hollywood North" movies up in Canada (basically Hollywood movies, outsourced to Canada because that's cheaper).

RLM hired them to help with the special effects on Space Cop, but they're not really part of RLM.

Edit: I think even six guest reviewers wouldn't be too many. The more, the merrier. Load 'em up.

kewlmyc

Vanquish is a game that isn't good until it clicks with you, and there's a good chance that will never happen.

If you play it like a standard TPS, then it's kinda boring. Only once the time slow down and rocket sliding click with you, does the game become a blast to play.

Flipyap

Vanquish plays like a game for people who can't handle aiming in shooters (so it's no surprise that it's the only console shooter Rich was able to play).
When you're mostly fighting slow robots, the slow-mo ability starts to feel more like a cheat code and fighting immobile enemies who can't shoot back at you isn't my kind of fun. Also, having a punch button that completely cripples your character might be the most boneheaded design choice in the world.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Canadians are the only good guests they actually had. They fit well with the show.

I'd take another Max Landis just for the laugh of it, but that's all.

The Canadians are the only good guests they actually had. They fit well with the show.

I'd take another Max Landis just for the laugh of it, but that's all.

Colin feels like a regular member of the show when he's around, Jim always feels kinda awkward to me though his awkwardness creates some hilarious moments.

I'd rank the botw guest

1) Colin
2) Max
3) Len
4) Jim
5) Freddie

I think all of them are fun and add a unique flavor to the show and I'm down for more guests on both botw and wotw.

Top Bottom