• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

nm3th

I've tried it with both direct WiFi and over my router and it feels kinda laggy either way. It's a huge improvement from the PS3's but compared to the WiiU it's noticeably worse. AC4 felt great on it though and looked stunning, but faster paced games like Resogun were definitely laggy and I couldn't even imagine playing something like Virtua Fighter or Bayonetta/DMC on it.

I'm fairly latency sensitive though, I run most of my games at 100+ FPS without VSync on PC to minimize latency... I was really impressed with how fast the WiiU was though and was hoping this would be the same. It's definitely not.

The WiiU runs on 5GHz, so most likely what you're experiencing with the vita is the congestion on the 2.4GHz band. Try changing channels on your router, but If you live in an area with lots of other WiFi ap then you might be out of luck.

I can get my remote play to work over the internet perfectly for about twenty seconds before I get a connection lost error. Netgear WNR2000v3 router. Any thoughts, folks?

CRA5H

I can get my remote play to work over the internet perfectly for about twenty seconds before I get a connection lost error. Netgear WNR2000v3 router. Any thoughts, folks?
It could be one of those occasions where your ISP jump starts your connection then slowly brings your DL speed back to normal? I know my former ISP used to that where I'd start off with 6MB/s then 15-20 seconds later, it settles back to normal at 1MB/s. I think they did this for the sake of video streaming. It could easily be a bunch of other factors affecting you as well.

For some reason my PS4 won't turn on from standby mode with RemotePlay. I do have the function enabled in my PS4's power settings, but my Vita can't turn it on. It will try for a minute or two then give me a connection error.

Otherwise I can use RemotePlay perfectly fine.

Sorry to just jump right in here, just looking for answers to a few questions

1. While remote playing on Vita, is there a way to quit and return the PS4 to its "standby mode" state?

2. Pretty sure my Vita has been exclusively connecting to my PS4 via direct connection rather than over wifi. Is there a way to know when it's doing one or the other? Can you control that at all?

3. General tips or tricks? It feels so foreign haha

Thanks PS4/Vita-Gaf

It could be one of those occasions where your ISP jump starts your connection then slowly brings your DL speed back to normal? I know my former ISP used to that where I'd start off with 6MB/s then 15-20 seconds later, it settles back to normal at 1MB/s. I think they did this for the sake of video streaming. It could easily be a bunch of other factors affecting you as well.

Well, I have Uverse with one of the godawful 2wire gateways. Hopefully I'll be rid of them soon

Tsundere

Banned
Sorry to just jump right in here, just looking for answers to a few questions

1. While remote playing on Vita, is there a way to quit and return the PS4 to its "standby mode" state?

2. Pretty sure my Vita has been exclusively connecting to my PS4 via direct connection rather than over wifi. Is there a way to know when it's doing one or the other? Can you control that at all?

3. General tips or tricks? It feels so foreign haha

Thanks PS4/Vita-Gaf

1. Yes, press the PS Button on your Vita, which brings up a sub menu, press and hold the middle PS button on that menu (PS4 PS Button); this will bring up the menu from where you can put it into standby.

2. If you're close enough and on the same network it will direct connect via wifi. If you disable direct connect on the PS4 settings then you always connect using the LAN.

CRA5H

For some reason my PS4 won't turn on from standby mode with RemotePlay. I do have the function enabled in my PS4's power settings, but my Vita can't turn it on. It will try for a minute or two then give me a connection error.

Otherwise I can use RemotePlay perfectly fine.
This is using direct connect/wifi and internet? If it doesn't awaken it from Standby when connected through any of those 3 methods, it's most likely a network problem.

SeanR1221

When I originally wanted an XB1 I was excited for the snap feature so I could game and watch something like football.

Now that I've used remote play, I much prefer this option. Watching MNF while playing ps4 on the vita was awesome.

Oppo

Wait, which worked? The LTE iPad or your Airport Extreme. Also, which version of the Airport Extreme do you have?

I've had almost zero luck getting Remote Play to work. Not locally or over the Internet.

PS4 plugged into 5th gen AEX.

I tethered the Vita wifi to LTE iPad hotspot sharing (to get outside network).

It works very well locally. AC4 runs great, with only minor occasional artifacting. Not sure if I have a direct BT connection for controls or not.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
PS4 plugged into 5th gen AEX.

I tethered the Vita wifi to LTE iPad hotspot sharing (to get outside network).

It works very well locally. AC4 runs great, with only minor occasional artifacting. Not sure if I have a direct BT connection for controls or not.

Are you sure you don't have Direct Connection enabled on the PS4? A little surprised since this is the first I've heard of an Airport working and I couldn't get mine to work no matter what settings I tried...if you don't have direct connect on, are you using any port forwarding or other special settings?

Oppo

Are you sure you don't have Direct Connection enabled on the PS4? A little surprised since this is the first I've heard of an Airport working and I couldn't get mine to work no matter what settings I tried...if you don't have direct connect on, are you using any port forwarding or other special settings?

I did have Direct Connection on, but I turned it off just now, and it still works fine.

In fact thank you for that, as it works better than the DC while I am upstairs! DC worked fine when I was on main floor (PS4 is in basement, along with AEX) but was choppy when I went upstairs. I have wireless repeaters on each floor so my own wifi setup is better than what the PS4 can push by itself.

Happy to answer any questions about my setup. I haven't done any port forwarding or anything special to the AEX.

This is using direct connect/wifi and internet? If it doesn't awaken it from Standby when connected through any of those 3 methods, it's most likely a network problem.

I have it on a direct connection. I read elsewhere that you need to have your account set to auto-login for remote awaken to work. I don't because more than one person uses my PS4.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
I did have Direct Connection on, but I turned it off just now, and it still works fine.

In fact thank you for that, as it works better than the DC while I am upstairs! DC worked fine when I was on main floor (PS4 is in basement, along with AEX) but was choppy when I went upstairs. I have wireless repeaters on each floor so my own wifi setup is better than what the PS4 can push by itself.

Happy to answer any questions about my setup. I haven't done any port forwarding or anything special to the AEX.

Last question is have you tested direct connection OFF and using LTE hotspot? The AEX should work fine over your local network, but the issue everyone else seems to have is trying to connect over the internet. Also, I noticed that sometimes my hotspot tests would pop me off the hotspot on my vita and sneak back onto the home wifi, so be sure you are truly on the hotspot and connecting via the internet through your AEX router.

Oppo

Last question is have you tested direct connection OFF and using LTE hotspot? The AEX should work fine over your local network, but the issue everyone else seems to have is trying to connect over the internet. Also, I noticed that sometimes my hotspot tests would pop me off the hotspot on my vita and sneak back onto the home wifi, so be sure you are truly on the hotspot and connecting via the internet through your AEX router.

Aha - ok I think I figured it out. No it did not work this time.

The Direct Connection feature looks locally for PS4 wifi first, then goes to the net. So because I had that on before, it scuttled my tethering test, i think.

This time I tethered without Direct Connection enabled and it could not find the PS4 to wake it up. Vexing.

nm3th

Anybody seen this issue? I can rp when my ps4 is on, but when it's on standby, the vita can't wake it up. I know i have the setting turned on because I can wake it up with my phone using the app. I've tried both directly and over my home network. Ps4 is hardwired into my router.

CRA5H

I have it on a direct connection. I read elsewhere that you need to have your account set to auto-login for remote awaken to work. I don't because more than one person uses my PS4.
Have you tried enabling auto log in then attempting to awaken from Standby with the Vita? If that works then at least you know what is causing your issue. If at that point it still does not awaken it, I'd look into adjusting some network settings on your router.

Anyone with a Linksys e2500 who has had any luck with using Remote Play over the internet, away from your home? I can't seem to get it to work for the life of me. I've turned on upnp or whatever it's called and tried using a static ip with the PS4 and no luck. I could never get it to work with my PS3 either.

CRA5H

Anyone with a Linksys e2500 who has had any luck with using Remote Play over the internet, away from your home? I can't seem to get it to work for the life of me. I've turned on upnp or whatever it's called and tried using a static ip with the PS4 and no luck. I could never get it to work with my PS3 either.
Try port forwarding on ports 9295 for TCP and 9296 or 9297 for UDP.
If that doesn't work, try adding the ps4 to the DMZ.

JCizzle

I had no luck with that router either. I'm planning to try with my comcast router instead over the next few days

Try port forwarding on ports 9295 for TCP and 9296 or 9297 for UDP.
If that doesn't work, try adding the ps4 to the DMZ.

I'll give this another shot. Maybe I missed something when setting my ps4 up.

I had no luck with that router either. I'm planning to try with my comcast router instead over the next few days

Let us know how that goes. I really want to try this when I'm over my girlfriend's house. I spend hours in the morning waiting for her to get up since we have such different sleeping schedules and it would be fun to remote play while I make breakfast, hah.

People said they were having trouble using Remote Play via Airport Extreme?

I have one – just tested briefly by tethering to LTE iPad, and it worked ok.

With my PS4 connected via ethernet to a 5th generation AirPort Extreme, it works with Resogun:

Apple-Airport-Extreme-Base-Station.jpg

I also extend the network with Airport Express(2), and can confirm it also works when connected to either of those.

There is an ever so small, but noticable lag - but it works. It definitely wouldn't fool anyone into thinking it was a native Vita game.

plainr_

When I originally wanted an XB1 I was excited for the snap feature so I could game and watch something like football.

Now that I've used remote play, I much prefer this option. Watching MNF while playing ps4 on the vita was awesome.

It is awesome. I love the Snap feature on the X1 but I would never use it for TV. It's just too small. The PIP feature built into my TV is more ideal for gaming and watching at the same time.

Been using remote play over direct connection sitting about five feet away from my PS4, and after I play for more than fifteen minutes or so, I start getting occasional stutters with the little grey connection icon appearing in the top left corner of the screen. Anyone else having this problem? Seems a little ridiculous.

Been using remote play over direct connection sitting about five feet away from my PS4, and after I play for more than fifteen minutes or so, I start getting occasional stutters with the little grey connection icon appearing in the top left corner of the screen. Anyone else having this problem? Seems a little ridiculous.
Yep. I get this all the time. Remote play is flaky and unreliable in my opinion to rely on. I sure hope Sony can improve it via software updates because I'm extremely disappointed in it.

CRA5H

I don't think there's a lot Sony can do for those having consistency problems with remote play. It has its flaws for sure but it doesn't mean it's broken. I think everyone's situation is different and there are many factors to why its working well for some and terrible for others. Its working great for me but I did experience some bumps on the way to make it work. Making some adjustments in my router settings has helped so if you think you've done everything you can to get it to work yet it's still being stubborn, that's when it might be a good idea to give Sony a call.

I think with all this feedback, Sony should really release an in depth FAQ regarding Remote Play and how to make it work properly And consistently for everyone that wants to use it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Using my PS3 to watch Smallville and the Vita doing Remote Play while using a Guest Account for the DS4 is just great. I know it doesn't work but, has anyone tried the PC Remote Play application with the PS4? It would make for a much better double screen experience.

Sorry if this has been asked;

If the PS3/4 can stream to the Vita is there a way the Vita could stream back to them to display on the TV? Basically is it a hardware or software reason that you can't?

Sorry if this has been asked;

If the PS3/4 can stream to the Vita is there a way the Vita could stream back to them to display on the TV? Basically is it a hardware or software reason that you can't?

I doubt there's a dedicated video encoder on the Vita. So while it's possible it'd be very difficult to do correctly

Also Sony would never allow that

Bastion

I am able to connect my Vita to my PS4 with a Wifi Hotspot through my iPhone. I have 5GB per month data limit on my phone so how quickly do you think that will be used up through Remote Play?

Nerfon

I am able to connect my Vita to my PS4 with a Wifi Hotspot through my iPhone. I have 5GB per month data limit on my phone so how quickly do you think that will be used up through Remote Play?
Will last 3-4 hours. If i got it right you need between 750k and 1 mbyte every second.

Does it work well over 3G?
I can't imagine it would. 3G is pretty slow and is rather chock full of latency.

I am playing AC4 via Remote Play and am noticing that my blacks are being crushed. Is this a byproduct of the compression or possibly the RGB Full setting on my PS4?

Steel

Banned
That's true, but I get a lot of compression artifacts

I get compression artifacts when my connection starts going shoddy too depending on where I'm at. I think it's an internet bandwidth thing.

Edit:

It's funny, I do occasionally have that problem via direct connect, but don't via router.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I can't imagine it would. 3G is pretty slow and is rather chock full of latency.

I am playing AC4 via Remote Play and am noticing that my blacks are being crushed. Is this a byproduct of the compression or possibly the RGB Full setting on my PS4?

Thanks. I might have to get a 4G mobile router just for this then. I have a 4S but the phone company I'm with doesn't charge extra for 4G. Plus I'll need to upgrade my home internet, 1 megabit up will not be enough lol.

As for your problem I doubt that's the case since the RGB Full relates to the TV output and not Remote Play.

With my PS4 connected via ethernet to a 5th generation AirPort Extreme, it works with Resogun:

Apple-Airport-Extreme-Base-Station.jpg

I also extend the network with Airport Express(2), and can confirm it also works when connected to either of those.

There is an ever so small, but noticable lag - but it works. It definitely wouldn't fool anyone into thinking it was a native Vita game.

If you don't mind me asking did you do anything special apart from opening up the required ports and possibly reserving the PS4 mac or ip address ?

As for your problem I doubt that's the case since the RGB Full relates to the TV output and not Remote Play.
I didn't think so, either, but was one of my few theories. I figure it's more to do with the compression technique. Can anyone else confirm/deny black crush with remote play?

Top Bottom