• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

KiraXD

well just tested it at my families house during thanksgiving... resogun and warframe away from home worked pretty damn well (warframe controls were weird though) but it worked exactly like it was supposed to... even on a tethered jailbroken iphone connection it ran good enough to actually play! i was surprised.)

cant wait for FFXIV on the go!

GravyButt

Still debating on a vita. I love the idea of playing games in bed (probably mostly sports games) but I still fear the small screen. Really scares me.

Well then I have no idea why it is not turning on. This I'd one of those crossroads where it turns out to be a hardware issue but I wait too long to return it and have to live with it forever. Happens every generation.

Pretty sure there's a setting in the Remote Play settings that says "allow vita to wake ps4" or something to that effect. Make sure it's checked off.

Only saw your last post. Sorry if you mentioned this earlier!

Oni Jazar

well just tested it at my families house during thanksgiving... resogun and warframe away from home worked pretty damn well (warframe controls were weird though) but it worked exactly like it was supposed to... even on a tethered jailbroken iphone connection it ran good enough to actually play! i was surprised.)

cant wait for FFXIV on the go!

Really wish i could get remote play to work through the internet. I tried everything. Enable Upnp, port forwarding, DMZ, nothing works.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Wewt. Just got my PS Vita order in. Can't wait to A: play remote with Resogun and Knack (yeah yeah) and B: play Vita games!

RaikuHebi

Banned
Still debating on a vita. I love the idea of playing games in bed (probably mostly sports games) but I still fear the small screen. Really scares me.

Calling the Vita's screen small is blasphemy but if it's a problem then just import a Vita TV (cheaper than a Vita). Unfortunately PS4 functionality hasn't been patched in yet, but it'll arrive sooner than the Vita TV will in the West.

Just played COD Ghosts on my Vita. It looked a little compressed and is obviously 30fps but I managed to do okay in Squads; been playing Killzone Merc recently so I'm used to the Vita's sticks, too.

Is there a way to change the layout? I like the grenades being on the front screen but would like to move sprint to the bottom of the touchpad instead of the top.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Digital Foundry just did a "thorough" test and review of Vita Remote Play.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-vita-remote-play

In our initial test run, Killzone Shadow Fall fared worse of all with Remote Play taking an average of 160ms to respond. Now, we've visited Guerrilla Games, talked to the developers and we know that input lag - which is not factored into the equation - comes in at around 80ms. That results in a deeply disappointing total end to end latency of 240ms. Weirdly - by switching to the router (where we would expect latency to increase), we shaved that down to an average of 180ms - playable, but not great. Moving to Battlefield 4, we saw the opposite. Via the direct connection, Remote Play latency (not factoring in input lag) arrived at 100ms, creeping up to 133ms when we hooked up via the router. At the granular level, we saw a variance in response even between the same tests repeated multiple times, and on all games. Killzone just got the luck of the draw in producing the worst response during our testing.

networking, how does it work? a local wired connection latency is 1ms. he doesn't appear to understand that the variability could be due to quality of the 2.4ghz signal. if he knew what he was doing he would have ran an wifi analyzer to see how crowded the channel that either the router or ad hoc (direct connection) were running on. the reason you don't need to consider that on a wii is that it runs over 5ghz which has many more channels. anyhow, it's nutty that Sony not only didn't include 5ghz in the new Vita - they also didn't include it on the ps4

RaikuHebi

Banned
networking, how does it work? a local wired connection latency is 1ms. he doesn't appear to understand that the variability could be due to quality of the 2.4ghz signal. if he knew what he was doing he would have ran an wifi analyzer to see how crowded the channel that either the router or ad hoc (direct connection) were running on. the reason you don't need to consider that on a wii is that it runs over 5ghz which has many more channels. anyhow, it's nutty that Sony not only didn't include 5ghz in the new Vita - they also didn't include it on the ps4

Not at all nutty when you consider the cost implications.

HT UK

I'm sorry if this has already been answered. But I live in the UK and have a main UK account. If I downloaded some games using my dummy US account, could I still play those via remote play? (The PS4 would be signed into my UK account, which is on my Vita)

Just today noticed games are hooking up remote play with their own control schemes. Just got done with the first few chapters in Injustice; works wonderfully.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I played from Baltimore to Pittsburgh. About a 4 hour drive. Things worked great. Sony you win.

It's late so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to mess with settings, but I just tried remote play 2 floors away from my PS4 in my house. I was able to wake my PS4 from my Vita, but then it told me the connection was not be strong enough and disconnects from my PS4. I'm assuming that it's because my Vita is just close enough to try a direct connection instead of defaulting to connecting over WiFi because of the weak signal.

scakko84

Anyone having disconnection problems while remote playing in local wifi on vita?

The Setup is PS4 and Vita through the local router, i can't wire the ps4 to the router so the only affordable thing is Wifi.

- I've ran a Wifi scanning tool, no external networks overlapping with my router's channel;
- Enabled QoS and WMM, enabled the "No Acknowledgment" option for faster streaming;
- Disabled every Direct WiFi network (TVs & co) i had in place;
- Removed heavy-load traffic devices from wifi & ethernet;
- Remote playing in the same room Vita, PS4 and the router are in.

Still got disconnections...

Am i doin' it wrong?

Thanks.

Edit:

The Router is a Linksys x3000 updated to the latest firmware.

Edit:

Turned out it was a router problem, i bought a Netgear D6300 and all works perfectly. Never buying a Linksys product again the quality dropped to shit-level in the last years.

Well Remote Play on the Vita seems perfect at home via DC or router, come out the house and to work, tether to my phone and I just get that it's failed to connect. Not sure if it's a BT Home Hub issue as I know this didn't work on the PS3. Will be heading to a friends tonight to try over a true WiFi connection, if that's the case then it's new router time!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just did a quick test from a mcdonalds wifi hotspot, and I could connect remotely without needing to forward any ports. Quality was shit but it was just a test - want to be able to use it over Christmas at my parents house.

One issue I think I've found is the HDMI-CEC control. I came home and the TV was set to the PS4 HDMI input. Seems that when the PS4 turns on it switches the input just like it does normally. I can imagine annoyed phone calls from my wife if I dial in to the PS4 from a hotel etc - "what have you done to the TV? Why is the play station on?"

I hope Sony can eventually update it so hat it doesn't use HDMI-CEC when turned on via remoteplay, otherwise I might have to turn that off

Zoe

Just did a quick test from a mcdonalds wifi hotspot, and I could connect remotely without needing to forward any ports. Quality was shit but it was just a test - want to be able to use it over Christmas at my parents house.

One issue I think I've found is the HDMI-CEC control. I came home and the TV was set to the PS4 HDMI input. Seems that when the PS4 turns on it switches the input just like it does normally. I can imagine annoyed phone calls from my wife if I dial in to the PS4 from a hotel etc - "what have you done to the TV? Why is the play station on?"

I hope Sony can eventually update it so hat it doesn't use HDMI-CEC when turned on via remoteplay, otherwise I might have to turn that off

That doesn't happen on my TV. It must be model specific.

Foshy

Tried some Killzone multiplayer over remote play yesterday and it works like a dream. Lag is extremely minimal.

I can't seem to turn on the PS4 over the internet though. It works at home, but not from another place. Does auto log-in have to be turned on?

Zampano

Any UK Gaffers using the Virgin Superhub? The wireless signal is crap but I can't connect directly from downstairs as PS4 is in the attic. Might need a new router. Any advice welcome!

DieH@rd

Banned
Tried some Killzone multiplayer over remote play yesterday and it works like a dream. Lag is extremely minimal.

I can't seem to turn on the PS4 over the internet though. It works at home, but not from another place. Does auto log-in have to be turned on?

PS4 needs to be placed into standby mode, and routers both at home and away need to allow usage of PS4 ports.

Certinty

Tried connecting a few miles away and I got an "establishing connection" before it gives me an error, is this to do with ports?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any UK Gaffers using the Virgin Superhub? The wireless signal is crap but I can't connect directly from downstairs as PS4 is in the attic. Might need a new router. Any advice welcome!

Virgin superhub is a pain for a lot of people. Get a separate router and put the superhub into modem mode.

f@luS

More than a member.
Is there no way to chose how remote is Working through ?

I have max signal on vita wifi on my bed. But when i remote play it looks like it chose direct 2 ps4 which have 1 bar of signal and work only near ps4..... Annoying

Zoe

I have max signal on vita wifi on my bed. But when i remote play it looks like it chose direct 2 ps4 which have 1 bar of signal and work only near ps4..... Annoying

It will always choose Direct if it can pick up the PS4's signal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You can turn off direct connect on the PS4, but then it'd always use the router, even when you're sat next to the PS4

BigDug13

You can turn off direct connect on the PS4, but then it'd always use the router, even when you're sat next to the PS4

This is why Sony needs to unlock our ability to change network and remote play settings while in remote play. But disallowing us to change those settings, we can't fix it ourselves.

Yes, I realize that when I make the change, it will kick my PSV off of remote play, but at least then I will be able to reconnect the right way after the changes take effect.

But locking me out of making those changes means the feature is no longer a convenience as I will have to grab a DS4 to actually make the changes, even though I can still just watch the PSV screen as I do it using the DS4, which makes it an even more incredibly stupid restriction to place on us when you consider that the only difference is what controller you are using to make the change...

Finally tested this from upstairs, the furtherest I'll ever use it inside my house, and was quite happy with the performance playing AC4.
There were a few stutters shortly after it connected, but then it ran smooth :)

I was even able to adjust to the new control scheme fairly easily, although it seems I/you need to tap the screen very lightly for it to register. At first I was pressing the screen quite firmly, and it wouldn't register the emulated clicks. Maybe it was registering it as a swipe or something?... but that's a fairly minor thing.

It works so much better than Remote Play on PS3 ever did!

suedester

Banned
I thought I'd test my ability to remote play over the internet by tethering from my pretty quick mobile connection. It seems to work pretty well when I eventually got it going. Strangely the first time I tried to connect it got stuck at the 'Welcome to PlayStation' splash screen. Second attempt then initiated remote play. No idea what was happening.

simonski

Well Remote Play on the Vita seems perfect at home via DC or router, come out the house and to work, tether to my phone and I just get that it's failed to connect. Not sure if it's a BT Home Hub issue as I know this didn't work on the PS3. Will be heading to a friends tonight to try over a true WiFi connection, if that's the case then it's new router time!

How did you get on with this? I'm on a BT home hub too, and outside of my own network remote play just doesn't want to work (it nearly does, the PS4 kind of powers up but doesn't beep. Goes back to standby after 30 seconds).

DBT85

Just tried with my Vita from work and it can't find the PS4. Will have a look today for options and then try again tomorrow.

Just tried it from work. Works brilliantly, with the exception of macroblocking that makes the first boss on Resogun nigh on impossible, god knows what later levels will be like, but curious if thats down to the slow work internet connection (1mb iirc) or that the console at home is connected via Homeplug. But still, the fact it actually works at all is outstanding.

How did you get on with this? I'm on a BT home hub too, and outside of my own network remote play just doesn't want to work (it nearly does, the PS4 kind of powers up but doesn't beep. Goes back to standby after 30 seconds).

No joy with it which doesn't really suprise me, was already resigned to the fact I would be getting a new router.

Gone with this one WDR4900 N900 as it works out the box with BT Sport on YouView which my Linksys EA4500 doesn't.

Jinjo

I love playing me some AC4 through remote play, it works very well. One thing I find weird: Eagle vision and the map won't work for some reason through using the (rear) touchpad, is this the case for everyone or am I missing something? Such a weird thing not to include in your control mapping.

Top Bottom