• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

after 2 weeks.. People are satisfied with remote Play? I´m still thinking about buying a vita just for this..
"Satisfied" isn't a strong enough word. Not only does Remote Play make the Vita absolutely a perfect companion device, but with PS+ you get get some must-have games. Oh, and buy Tearaway. It's my GOTY, hands-down.

"Satisfied" isn't a strong enough word. Not only does Remote Play make the Vita absolutely a perfect companion device, but with PS+ you get get some must-have games. Oh, and buy Tearaway. It's my GOTY, hands-down.

It's really extraordinary. Surprised me with how awesome it is.

Bebpo

Banned
It's decent. Looks and feels worse than the Wii U tablet for whatever reason (Nintendo more advanced tech + streaming 720p less pixels = easier?). I respect it for what it is and think down the line it'll be useful for rpgs and unimpressive looking games that you don't feel "damn, this looks awful compared to seeing it on my 1080p tv!", but most of the PS4 games so far don't translate too well. Killzone controls badly, Knack lacks the impressive visuals of a 1080p TV screen, Resogun at 30fps feels bad, etc...

I dunno how much they'll be able to upgrade or change it through later firmware updates, but if they can get 60fps streaming and cut down on compression artifacts that make it look like you're controlling a youtube video, it'll be much better.

The lag is pretty good though. Very minimal. Just needs better controls from developers of PS4 games (the L2/R2 back touchpad is not always the best idea).

Huh never thought about that. That kind of sucks then but still a cool option nonetheless (RP I mean)

Did you ever get powerline adapters by the way?

Yeah, they've been working pretty great for the most part, get around 5-6 MB/s for DL and 2-3 MB/s for UL.

My connection speed is 50 mbps/25 mbps

Killzone controls badly, Knack lacks the impressive visuals of a 1080p TV screen, Resogun at 30fps feels bad, etc...
I am finding AC4 to be the perfect game for Remote Play. I've been sailing around the map all day today at work, picking up the various collectibles. And since it's not a twitch game, it's even more well suited for the task.
I dunno how much they'll be able to upgrade or change it through later firmware updates, but if they can get 60fps streaming and cut down on compression artifacts that make it look like you're controlling a youtube video, it'll be much better.
This is all so dependent on your connection, though. I mean, sure in the house it's a different story, but even then there are so many variables for the connection quality. Router design, wifi vs. hard-wire, 10/100 connections to the PS4, rather than 10/100/1000. If all the PS4 was doing was direct connection, ala the Wii U, I could see these concerns being more than valid, however the PS4/Vita combo is doing so much more and catering to a number of different scenarios.

As for your compression woes, I don't know if you are hitting from inside your network or outside, but, again, there's going to be variables involved with how dynamically compressed Gakai makes that feed. Gakai says 3Mb/s to 6Mb/s is required. I've got a rather fat pipe leading up to my house and I see the complete 6Mb/s in throughput. And, mind you, this is coming from a dark fiber network at work to my house, with an elegant and fast designed home LAN network (I'm an IT Professional, so nothing but the best for my network! :p). The compression is there, but it's more like Netflix quality on a decent connection.

It's decent. Looks and feels worse than the Wii U tablet for whatever reason (Nintendo more advanced tech + streaming 720p less pixels = easier?). I respect it for what it is and think down the line it'll be useful for rpgs and unimpressive looking games that you don't feel "damn, this looks awful compared to seeing it on my 1080p tv!", but most of the PS4 games so far don't translate too well. Killzone controls badly, Knack lacks the impressive visuals of a 1080p TV screen, Resogun at 30fps feels bad, etc...

The lag is pretty good though. Very minimal. Just needs better controls from developers of PS4 games (the L2/R2 back touchpad is not always the best idea).

Sounds like you have a bad connection or less than optimal one. The grips that you have with happen with me when my connection is average. When it's good I can only see slight compression but not enough to say it looks bad.

RaikuHebi

Banned
And, mind you, this is coming from a dark fiber network at work to my house, with an elegant and fast designed home LAN network (I'm an IT Professional, so nothing but the best for my network! :p). The compression is there, but it's more like Netflix quality on a decent connection.

That sounds so cool!

Bebpo

Banned
Sounds like you have a bad connection or less than optimal one. The grips that you have with happen with me when my connection is average. When it's good I can only see slight compression but not enough to say it looks bad.

I am finding AC4 to be the perfect game for Remote Play. I've been sailing around the map all day today at work, picking up the various collectibles. And since it's not a twitch game, it's even more well suited for the task.

This is all so dependent on your connection, though. I mean, sure in the house it's a different story, but even then there are so many variables for the connection quality. Router design, wifi vs. hard-wire, 10/100 connections to the PS4, rather than 10/100/1000. If all the PS4 was doing was direct connection, ala the Wii U, I could see these concerns being more than valid, however the PS4/Vita combo is doing so much more and catering to a number of different scenarios.

As for your compression woes, I don't know if you are hitting from inside your network or outside, but, again, there's going to be variables involved with how dynamically compressed Gakai makes that feed. Gakai says 3Mb/s to 6Mb/s is required. I've got a rather fat pipe leading up to my house and I see the complete 6Mb/s in throughput. And, mind you, this is coming from a dark fiber network at work to my house, with an elegant and fast designed home LAN network (I'm an IT Professional, so nothing but the best for my network! :p). The compression is there, but it's more like Netflix quality on a decent connection.

I've only been using direct from 10 feet from the PS4 so far. But I'm a videophile (hence one reason why I really like the PS4 for 1080p finally thank god), and even at its best it still looks like watching a video and playing it vs. direct crips visuals generated on the screen itself. For some reason the Wii U tablet does this way better (it still looks 'off' slightly, but only very slightly). I think the 60fps smoothness of the Wii U tablet is the major difference and would like to see what direct play on PS4 + Vita looks like at 60fps for comparison.

But yeah, AC4 is the only game I like using it for. For just sailing around collecting stuff the Vita remote play is fine. But for main missions I still play them on the TV because the visual flair is diminished very much on the Vita imo. I think in the future, Japanese games that look unimpressive (as I expect most budget ones will for the next few years) and rpgs/puzzle/strategy games will be ideal for remote play. I think platformers/action/driving/fps games aren't the most suited.

Yeah, they've been working pretty great for the most part, get around 5-6 MB/s for DL and 2-3 MB/s for UL.

My connection speed is 50 mbps/25 mbps

Hmm that's a bit disappointing. Or is that what your ps4 says your getting?

Because it tends to give odd network measurements

sock

Add me to the list of folks unable to connect from outside the LAN using an AirPort Extreme despite a static IP for the PS4 and correct port forwarding.

My girlfriend was home at the time, and she said the PS4 was waking up when I tried to connect, but it never went past the login screen before going back to stand by. PS3 remote play to PSP worked fine with the same router, so I'm thinking this is a PS4 issue.

Inside the LAN, though, it's smooth as butter. AC4 in bed is utterly fantastic.

Oppo

The Airport Extreme actually sucks is what I've been told...particularly for gaming.

Not in my experience.

Frankly it's the only router I've ever bought that didn't turn out to be a total piece of shit. So I'm a bit hesitant to replace it. Thing just always works and is fast.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
Frankly it's the only router I've ever bought that didn't turn out to be a total piece of shit. So I'm a bit hesitant to replace it. Thing just always works and is fast.

Seconded this. I actually did replace mine (temporarily only I hope) with a Nighthawk since people with that router were reporting good remote play results, and it definitely fixed the remote play issue, BUT the new router doesn't perform nearly as well in my home. Despite the giant antennas on the Nighthawk, the 6th gen Airport is much more stable and reliable in almost all locations. Funny enough, my mac laptop seems quite happy with the Nighthawk, but the PC laptop and the Roku hate it whereas they did great with the Airport.

Sony support hasn't yet directly acknowledged the issue, but it is pretty clear they have a bug in the remote play that makes it not support any non-UPnP, even if you DMZ and/or port forward it. The more reports they hear about it the more likely we can get this fixed quickly.

Would somebody be kind enough to tell/ link me how to set up my Ps4 as a DMZ? I can't seem to connect to my vita via the internet despite my best efforts and I am going home for the holidays and want to get some remote play going. Any help would be appreciated.

I have an asus rt-n66u router and I have upnp turned on.

If you don't mind me asking did you do anything special apart from opening up the required ports and possibly reserving the PS4 mac or ip address ?

I honestly did nothing other than plugging the PS4 into the router. Sorry I'm not much more help, I just wanted to maybe narrow down which specific models/configurations were the issue.

jwk94

So I'm about 70 miles away from my PS4 and I can't connect to it with Remote Play. Does anybody know what I can do?

jersoc

well i'm stumped as fuck right now.
I have tried wifi/ethernet. dmz on, the ports forwarded.
but the vita keeps coming up saying could not connect to the ps4 system.
oh, upnp is on too.

I see it turning it on and everything. the same network fine though. google is failing me here with this specific problem. i just find stuff about day1 psn problems.

DieH@rd

Banned
well i'm stumped as fuck right now.
I have tried wifi/ethernet. dmz on, the ports forwarded.
but the vita keeps coming up saying could not connect to the ps4 system.
oh, upnp is on too.

I see it turning it on and everything. the same network fine though. google is failing me here with this specific problem. i just find stuff about day1 psn problems.

Did you activate account on your PS4/Vita? You need to do that before RP can start.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/activation.html

mcfrank

Add me to the AirPort not working with remote play away from the house group. Hopefully there is a fix soon.

At home it is smooth as butter.

I can't get remote play to work over the internet at all and it's driving me nuts. I've got remote play enabled, activated as primary PS4, PS4 in standby and plugged in with Ethernet, uPnP enabled on both routers, QoS disabled on both routers. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I can't get remote play to work over the internet at all and it's driving me nuts. I've got remote play enabled, activated as primary PS4, PS4 in standby and plugged in with Ethernet, uPnP enabled on both routers, QoS disabled on both routers. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Did you uncheck the option on your PS4 to connect directly to the Vita? I didn't know about that until recently and couldn't get remote play working over WiFi until I unchecked that option.

Nerfon

Firewall on router ? Can put ps4 in DMZ zone on the router ?

Did you uncheck the option on your PS4 to connect directly to the Vita? I didn't know about that until recently and couldn't get remote play working over WiFi until I unchecked that option.
Yeah, I've unchecked Direct Connect. Been using wifi at home.

Firewall on router ? Can put ps4 in DMZ zone on the router ?
No firewall on my router. Unfortunately, I'm out of town right now (only by about 50 miles, for the record), so I'll have to try DMZ when I get home. Was really hoping to use Remote Play over Thanksgiving after UPS dicked me over on my copy of Ys.

Can't connect via the web from my parents' house. PS4 in standby back at my place. Apparently you have enable the PS4 to be turned on remotely on the console itself.

Isn't that one of the main points of standby mode itself? Why's there a separate second step? Argh.

Zoe

Can't connect via the web from my parents' house. PS4 in standby back at my place. Apparently you have enable the PS4 to be turned on remotely on the console itself.

Isn't that one of the main points of standby mode itself? Why's there a separate second step? Argh.

Even if someone has it set to standby that doesn't necessarily mean they want it to turn on with a Vita. Standby cuts down on startup times.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
Everyone with an airport router that can't make it work, please call Sony support and tell them. Make sure they understand it is an ongoing issue with this specific router and that others are experiencing the same issue. I spoke to a CS rep who reported the issue internally and confirmed that if enough people call with the same issue they will likely fix it.

You can use this link if you don't want to wait on hold:

http://gethuman.com/call-back/Sony-Playstation/

You give them your phone number and they call you back within an hour or so.

DieH@rd

Banned
Now that PS4 was launched in europe, I expect another spike of traffic here in this thread! :D

Hopefully EU crowd will give us more reports about using RP via internet. :)

I was airplaying from my ipad to my apple tv and remote play gets all fucked up. I was using the direct connection to my vita. Ill try turning the wifi function on to see if that helps.

asdad123

Managed to get it working finally.

All I can say is holyyyyy shiiiit. This is what next gen is about. Just played two hours of battlefield 4 away from home without any problems.

DBT85

Now that PS4 was launched in europe, I expect another spike of traffic here in this thread! :D

Hopefully EU crowd will give us more reports about using RP via internet. :)

I'll be able to give that shot on Tuesday when at work. Will be interesting to see.

Today I played Resogun on my Vita, and lo, it was good.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Managed to get it working finally.

All I can say is holyyyyy shiiiit. This is what next gen is about. Just played two hours of battlefield 4 away from home without any problems.
More info. Needed. Up/down speed both ends and connection type.

When u say no problems, was quality same as if u were connected locally?

asdad123

More info. Needed. Up/down speed both ends and connection type.

When u say no problems, was quality same as if u were connected locally?

The PS4 is connected with a LAN cable at home with Verizon FIOS (50dl/15up).

Played at my girlfriends house who has Optimum Online which is 15dl/3up (the router isn't the best, so wifi speed testing on my laptop for downloads is about 5-6mb).

And the quality was great. No noticeable input lag from what I could tell. Video quality was near perfect apart from one time when it got blurry for about 3 seconds. Played for battlefield 4 for about 2 hours and it felt just like I was playing it on the PS4 except on "dat OLED". This actually might have convinced me to go all digital so I can play any game whenever.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The PS4 is connected with a LAN cable at home with Verizon FIOS (50dl/15up).

Played at my girlfriends house who has Optimum Online which is 15dl/3up (the router isn't the best, so wifi speed testing on my laptop for downloads is about 5-6mb).

And the quality was great. No noticeable input lag from what I could tell. Video quality was near perfect apart from one time when it got blurry for about 3 seconds. Played for battlefield 4 for about 2 hours and it felt just like I was playing it on the PS4 except on "dat OLED". This actually might have convinced me to go all digital so I can play any game whenever.

Beautiful sir, thanks for the detail.

I really, really need to get a 4G phone and faster home internet just for this beast of a feature.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you select 'direct connection', will it drop back to using the router if you're too far away, or is that option basically saying to use direct connect for all in-home use?

Any special things to do to use over the Internet? And any way to test that without having to go outside and find a wifi hotspot somewhere? Going to be at my parents at Christmas and it'd be good if I can connect to the PS4

DieH@rd

Banned
If you select 'direct connection', will it drop back to using the router if you're too far away, or is that option basically saying to use direct connect for all in-home use?

Yes. PS4 link app will first try to connect directly, but if it cant it will try to contact you "over the Internet".

Any special things to do to use over the Internet? And any way to test that without having to go outside and find a wifi hotspot somewhere? Going to be at my parents at Christmas and it'd be good if I can connect to the PS4

Points of problem may be
1. your router is blocking PS4 ports
2. recieving router is blocking PS4 ports

Test RP in your neighborhood/city if you can, find some free 4-6mbit internet connection, or someone with LTE phone [create wifi hotspot on that phone]. If it works, then only thing that can give you problems is router at your parents house.

Zoe

Yes. PS4 link app will first try to connect directly, but if it cant it will try to contact you "over the Internet".

The problem here is that it prioritizes a weak direct connection over a strong WAN, so you have to weigh your options.

Cartman86

Banned
So there are people here who can get their PS4 to turn on from standby using the direct connect? Does it even use the internet or router to do this?

DieH@rd

Banned
So there are people here who can get their PS4 to turn on from standby using the direct connect? Does it even use the internet or router to do this?

If you are using direct, you dont need router. Waking up of PS4 is possible only if you park it in standby mode.

Cartman86

Banned
If you are using direct, you dont need router. Waking up of PS4 is possible only if you park it in standby mode.

Well then I have no idea why it is not turning on. This I'd one of those crossroads where it turns out to be a hardware issue but I wait too long to return it and have to live with it forever. Happens every generation.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Well this was worth the hype, finally got my PS4 today and tried it out. It's a 1:1 of the PS4 on the Vita screen, a far cry from the PS3 Remote Play's pixelated mess, which was in the best of circumstances. The worst might as well have been coloured TV static.

It is a phenomenal feature and luckily for me I get a perfect direct connection from my bedroom, as I'm right above the front room where the PS4 is. So a Vita TV is an absolute must for my 720p bedroom TV now.

The 30/60 FPS difference wasn't noticeable until I switched back over to the PS4. And once noticed, it is huge. I've never had a gaming PC so FPS differences have largely passed me by until very recently, starting with GTAV's slowdowns. I hope it will be possible to unlock the full FPS in the future, as presumably all that is happening now is the PS4 is producing that 60 FPS anyway but just downgrading it for a more stable connection.

Also they should add the ability to select a preferred connection method, both so we can be sure we've got the best connection and also I assume it would make things quicker. At the moment I'm deleting my router from the Vita's memory, so then I'm guaranteeing I'll get a direct connection. I must say that I successfully played over the router though (Wireless G) so it might not be that big of a deal.

Zoe

Also they should add the ability to select a preferred connection method, both so we can be sure we've got the best connection and also I assume it would make things quicker. At the moment I'm deleting my router from the Vita's memory, so then I'm guaranteeing I'll get a direct connection. I must say that I successfully played over the router though (Wireless G) so it might not be that big of a deal.
It will choose direct connect before WiFi if it is available.

Top Bottom