• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Bastion

There are some media apps that are actually Remote Play compatible =D We should start a list. I can only imagine these are on purpose though... At least with Crunchyroll at the very least. They owe me.

Works
  • Crunchyroll
  • NBA Game Time

Does Not Work
  • Hulu Plus
  • Netflix

Ummmmm.... The rest I haven't/can't try. I'll try to try again later. But ima go to sleep.

The only one that matter to me works-Vudu. Great service and I wish the Vita had a native app for it.

potam

Banned
Just grabbed a Vita, and I've already paired it with my PS4. I'm at my parents house, and I can't connect. Is there something special I need to do since my PS4 is in standby?

DieH@rd

Banned
Just grabbed a Vita, and I've already paired it with my PS4. I'm at my parents house, and I can't connect. Is there something special I need to do since my PS4 is in standby?

You need to check uPNP/DMZ and ports on both home and away routers. :-/ uPNP will most likely help the most.

Zoe

Can it access content bought with another account, if the other account is the console's master/primary account?
It should, but I don't have a way to test that out.

The Vita is just another controller with a screen, so sharing should work the same way it does with other secondary accounts.

PEC x factor

Neo Member
I've been thinking how sony could make remote play beter by including ps3's.

In just a few days I will be getting a PS4 and setting it up in my living room and the PS3 wil be moved to the bedroom. Now wouldn't it be great if I would be abel to stream games from my ps4 to my ps3 so i could play them in bed, just like with the vita.
But why stop there, if I could stream PS3 games to my PS4 with remote play I would also have instant backwards compatibility.

I'm just curious how many of you would want somthing like this?
And hoping that sony is going to implement it in future update's

(sorry for the bad english, i'm no native english speaker and have dyslexia)

RaikuHebi

Banned

The Vita is just another controller with a screen, so sharing should work the same way it does with other secondary accounts.
Thanks.

But then in that case I'm surprised once logged in through Remote Play you can't log in to a different account on the PS4?

I've been thinking how sony could make remote play beter by including ps3's.
I don't see them doing it. Vita and Vita TVs brings in money.

Chris R

If my PS4 is wired is there anything else I have to do to stream over wifi instead of direct connection? My vita doesn't work through all the walls to my living room it seems :(

Zoe

Thanks.

But then in that case I'm surprised once logged in through Remote Play you can't log in to a different account on the PS4?
Don't forget you're always logged into one account with a Vita. I can't imagine them wanting you to be logged into two different accounts at once.

What I'm wondering--does the Vita have to be resynced if you change it to a different account?

Do we know the range of a DS4 controller?

Curious how well I could get that to work over my house

BigDug13

I really hate that they lock out the ability to make network and remote play settings changes. I know it's going to kick my Vita off if I select to enable direct connect. But I don't care. I want to be able to make the change so that I don't have to turn on my TV and PS4 controller to make the change. I want to be able to deselect Internet access as well to improve my wifi connection stability.

Let me make whatever changes I want to Sony, I don't care that it will kick my Vita off remote play. I can just reconnect it.

lucius

It's really cool you can use the DS4 as a controller for remote play, but the screen on Vita still auto dims after about a minute if you don't touch a vita button even when it's plugged in being charged in the official stand, unless I missed some option to turn this off?

SeanR1221

Remote play is being REALLY weird tonight.

Over wifi it's not working at all. It keeps saying my vita connection isn't fast enough which I've never seen before.

Using direct connect it's disconnected randomly 3 times now and the system is 6 feet away.

:/

IMACOMPUTA

Played via remote play from out of town about 60 miles and it connected/worked flawlessly. Obviously there was slight input lag, but it was more than playable. Really impressive stuff.

Do we have an official port list for Remote Play? UPNP support is very nice and all, but I would like to hard code my firewall to accommodate.

lucius

So, how is the remote play when inside your house? Is it comparable to WiiU or much better? Any impression?

Remote Play works great for me and I am running my PS4 Wifi right now, I can get about 35ft away from the system before it starts affecting it. Was able to beat 4 chapters on Hard in Killzone SF on Remote Play. I am switching to wired PS4 soon though, since it is very strange I get anywhere from 7-15 Mbps which is many times slower than my Vita/Slim speeds. Heck my iPhone5 which is like a year old on WirelessN always gets around 40 Mbps, I think it's a software issue since others mention it on playstation forum, I tried logging into my router and turning just Wireless N mode on I saw speeds on my PS4 double, but too bad I still need to run wifi G. I have Verizon Fios Quantum for reference.

BTW, some new people having problems with the back touch pad on Vita with some games that use it for L2/R2 & R3 for like running in Killzone SF or for Resogun Bombs you need to swipe across and it works fine I was trying to tap for so long and getting nowhere doing that

CRA5H

When I bought a Vita 4 months ago, my main incentive to buy it was strictly for Remote Play. I was afraid that come launch it would be a gimmicky feature. I'm here to say that Sony has hit it out of the park on this one. Remote play is absolutely brilliant.
It was expected that it would work great by direct connect and wifi but to play it anywhere I want as long as I have my LTE connection or at the girlfriend's place on her wifi network, I didn't anticipate this.

I did experience a few bumps along the way in terms of network and connection consistency but a few tweaks in my router settings have done the trick. I played 5 hours straight of ACBF on my Vita from my girlfriend's house. It even had my girlfriend in awe by how it worked and how responsive it was. She was already annoyed that buying the PS4 would take up too much of my time but now that I can pretty much bring my PS4 anywhere I want, I can expect her to lose it on me in the near future lol.

This is what next gen needs to have. Innovation like this, no matter if it was the Sony or Nintendo that introduced this to console gaming, is what the industry needs.

PS. This is my first post in the gaf community :)

DieH@rd

Banned
When I bought a Vita 4 months ago, my main incentive to buy it was strictly for Remote Play. I was afraid that come launch it would be a gimmicky feature. I'm here to say that Sony has hit it out of the park on this one. Remote play is absolutely brilliant.
It was expected that it would work great by direct connect and wifi but to play it anywhere I want as long as I have my LTE connection or at the girlfriend's place on her wifi network, I didn't anticipate this.

I did experience a few bumps along the way in terms of network and connection consistency but a few tweaks in my router settings have done the trick. I played 5 hours straight of ACBF on my Vita from my girlfriend's house. It even had my girlfriend in awe by how it worked and how responsive it was. She was already annoyed that buying the PS4 would take up too much of my time but now that I can pretty much bring my PS4 anywhere I want, I can expect her to lose it on me in the near future lol.

This is what next gen needs to have. Innovation like this, no matter if it was the Sony or Nintendo that introduced this to console gaming, is what the industry needs.

VJ0TRao.gif

In true neogaf fashion... you are welcomed with a gif :D

Bikola

So, how is the remote play when inside your house? Is it comparable to WiiU or much better? Any impression?

It works like a charm, just as good as wii u, I was playing fifa 14 with my GF earlier, i was on the vita and she was on the PS4, amazing stuff i tell ya.

DogMeat77

That is really cool about using the DS4 with a sub-account / another account. Sony needs to allow this on the main account. Sure games are playable using just the Vita... but for when you are just in another room or in my case, play while in bed and the wife is using the TV... having the DS4 takes it to another level.

Zoe

That is really cool about using the DS4 with a sub-account / another account. Sony needs to allow this on the main account. Sure games are playable using just the Vita... but for when you are just in another room or in my case, play while in bed and the wife is using the TV... having the DS4 takes it to another level.

I would imagine that the range of the controller is not the same as the range of the PS4's access point...

Hello friends.

So I'm lending my PSVita to a coworker so that he can test out remote play with his ps4.

Is there anything we should know going into it? i'm concerned that he may ahve to input his PS account info, or lock his ps4 to my vita....

i dont want to get screwed in the long run mixing accounts up and linking consoles to eachother if they can't be unlinked/etc.

so any advice what to do/ how to go about it?

FlipCup

Neo Member
I keep reading stuff about linking the DS4 through a sub account. Does anyone have directions on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Oppo

So I played about 2 hours of AC IV on the Vita last night, as mom-in-law is staying with us for the weekend, and we set her up downstairs (where the PS4 is).

I really, really, really like this feature. Also AC IV has a great Vita control scheme, and it even pops the overlay reminder right up when you start the PS4 Link app. It's fantastic.

Anyone get 2nd screen stuff to work with the iPhone app? I tried a few times but nothing came up. I'll try it with the Vita itself later.

Zoe

I keep reading stuff about linking the DS4 through a sub account. Does anyone have directions on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

For one, it doesn't have to be a sub-account. Once you're connected via Remote Play, turn on the controller and it will prompt you to select an account. If you select the account you're using for Remote Play, it will kick you out on the Vita. That's why you choose a different account.

Keep in mind that by doing this you won't be playing under your own account, so any progress will not be credited to you. Also, the Vita will be connected by WiFi, but the controller will be connected to the PS4 by whatever custom Bluetooth it uses. The range may not be the same.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hello friends.

So I'm lending my PSVita to a coworker so that he can test out remote play with his ps4.

Is there anything we should know going into it? i'm concerned that he may ahve to input his PS account info, or lock his ps4 to my vita....

i dont want to get screwed in the long run mixing accounts up and linking consoles to eachother if they can't be unlinked/etc.

so any advice what to do/ how to go about it?

He will need to add his account to your Vita.

Could you expand a bit on that? What exactly did you have to change? I could prove useful for the rest of us (I get my PS4 on Friday!!!).

B-Ri

The only one that matter to me works-Vudu. Great service and I wish the Vita had a native app for it.

netflix and hulu do work. Once it gives you the 'not able to remote play' warning. Just hit the PS button to go back to Vita's livescreen, then reenter remote play. it bypasses the warning

don't know if this has been answered before but this question has been on my mind a long time and i hope someone can test it out,

So lets say you have 2 accounts on your PS4 an EU(with PS+) and a US. With the ps4 set as primary on both accounts. If you were to buy a game on the US account. can you remote play the game using your vita on the EU account.??

Man remote play over the internet is terrible for me. lag, artifacts and losing connection within minutes despite the Wi-Fi connection being great. At home I have the ps4 hard wired to a router which is connected to Comcast with 25mbps down but I forgot the upload speed.

The ps4 has a static ip, router has upnp enabled, ports forwarded to my ps4 and no dice. I tried remote play with my phones 4g let hotspot(T-Mobile), public Wi-Fi with 5mbps up, 12mbps down and it's the same. I even tried it at home in front of the ps4 over with the vita connected to my phones hotspot and I'm still losing connection.

Theoretical question:

If there was a co-op or competitive game available on the PS4 that allowed two users to sign in separately and earn trophies at the same time, could you do the same using two Vitas via remote play or does it only allow you to link/connect one Vita at a time?

DieH@rd

Banned
Theoretical question:

If there was a co-op or competitive game available on the PS4 that allowed two users to sign in separately and earn trophies at the same time, could you do the same using two Vitas via remote play or does it only allow you to link/connect one Vita at a time?

Somebody needs to test this out with Trine 2 on PS4 [3 player coop with 3 Vitas]. Juding by what Yosp have hinted before PS4 release, up to 4 Vitas can use one PS4 video stream.

N30RYU

If I buy a digital game with an US account, will I be able to play using remote play with my eur account (the one I use on the Vita)?

Also, if I'm logged with my eur account will the games purchased with the US sub account appear in my library?

CRA5H

Could you expand a bit on that? What exactly did you have to change? I could prove useful for the rest of us (I get my PS4 on Friday!!!).
My first week using it via internet worked but my 1Mbps upload at home killed the experience. I've since upgraded to a 3Mbps upload and it's been great! Sometime last week, my Vita wasn't able to establish a connection to my PS4 via the internet even though it worked a couple hours earlier in the day. I had no clue why it wasn't connecting. I changed nothing and put the PS4 in standby via Remote Play so I can play a bit later. I later got home and tested it out via my LTE connection and still no luck. To make sure RP (remote play) wasn't broken, I connected my Vita to my wifi network and tried to RP from that and thankfully it worked. This is where I knew it was only an issue with connecting VIA internet.

Understanding that my Vita wouldn't connect through the internet, I opened up my router settings. At the time, all I had enabled was uPnP and the proper ports forwarded (9295 TCP and 9297 UDP [I also could have used 9296 for UDP]). It was working perfectly before it randomly stopped working. I decided to try putting my PS4 in the DMZ to see if it made a difference. To my surprise, it immediately worked after I made the changes and I was able to RP via the internet now.

The next day, I brought the Vita to work to RP again and to my dismay, it would not connect again via internet. At this point, I was extremely frustrated. I got home and turned off DMZ, did a test, and then surprise, surprise, it was connecting via internet again. WTF? Now I am no where close to a networking genius but I did a little read up on how NAT, DMZ, DHCP, Port Fowarding, Virtual Servers, and uPnP actually works. With a better understanding of the functions, I decided just to experiment for a couple hours with different settings enabled and trying to RP via internet. After a couple hours, I think I found out how to get it working flawlessly for my situation.

To start off, I have a D-Link DIR-655. TSI 35Mbps Down 3Mbps Up.
I have portforwarding enabled for 9295 TCP and 9297 UDP.
I added my PS4 to the DHCP reserved list so it has a static IP.

Now the picture below is the key thing that made it work.
netgear-Firewall-Settings.jpg

I have my PS4 in the DMZ but what's different is that I changed:
UDP and TCP Endpoint Filtering are both set to Endpoint Independent

By changing that, it will pretty much accept any requests from whatever IPs trying to connect to those specific ports. The default settings are the same as in the picture above. With those default settings, only IPs that have connected through those ports in the past will be accepted. Maybe I was somehow creating a new IP everytime I tried to connect to my PS4 through my LTE connection which is why my Router kept blocking the requests?
I'm not sure how bad of a security risk it creates but so far, it's the only thing that has made it work consistently. Maybe some who are more familiar with network engineering can have some input as well.

Question about the direct connection option with the PS4:

If my PS4 is not in the same room as the router and therefore cannot be connected via ethernet, does that mean I can not connect via the direction connection method?
Or am I just unable to connect the PS4 to my network wirelessly while I am using the direct connection method?

I really wish this worked better for me.

Too much interference in apartment, I think, for direct connection with PS4. It's only stable when I'm really sitting on the couch (and still not entirely smooth, even then). I have the same range issues with Wii U off-screen play - my range is maybe 20-30 feet.

Too much lag when connecting via my WIFI. Probably same interference issues.

Rooted my phone and enabled tethering to try to see if WAN play with 100% wifi signal would be more stable than LAN play with a 50% signal. Turns out Cyanogenmod has drastically reduced cell signal quality for my phone compared to stock, so if it is improved then the difference is cancelled out.

It's really cool when it works though. Far exceeds my expectations even with the issues I'm running into.

There's a hint more input lag, but using Remote Play from work (on an insane-fast university network) works and looks better overall than at home connecting directly to the PS4 while sitting ten feet away. Specifically there's less screen tearing. No idea what's up. PS4 using ethernet, tried the wireless channels tweak, etc.

Wish my iPhone was still jailbroken so I could try this on the go via tethering.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, need some help on this.

I'm running on wireless, and the ps4 will have to do the same. I can run a cable but it'll be a right chew on.

Are the powerline adaptors good for remote play? If i use one at router, one to ps4 are they as good as cable?

Cheers

Did you try to see how cluttered is your WiFi space?
4MyKOLu0QT9aDG5TtvRnWvhmvbQT1pAfw7VoWScTcIhTFzVm3jUOu8OOXHkGZkFLPw=h900

^ inSSIDer app for android

I used the DD-WRT to check for channels overlaps and set my channels accordingly, but it'd be nice to have a graphical view of it from inSSIDer.

Didn't know there was an Android version of it. Thanks, I'll check that out when I get home.

Oppo

People said they were having trouble using Remote Play via Airport Extreme?

I have one – just tested briefly by tethering to LTE iPad, and it worked ok.

ckohler

People said they were having trouble using Remote Play via Airport Extreme?

I have one – just tested briefly by tethering to LTE iPad, and it worked ok.

Wait, which worked? The LTE iPad or your Airport Extreme. Also, which version of the Airport Extreme do you have?

I've had almost zero luck getting Remote Play to work. Not locally or over the Internet.

i can't connect using my router wi fi. I can connect directly but it gets bad when i use it in my room so I want to connect via my router. But the Vita nvr finds the PS4 over internet. I have uPnP enabled, I unchecked "connect directly" box. What do i do?

Okay, need some help on this.

I'm running on wireless, and the ps4 will have to do the same. I can run a cable but it'll be a right chew on.

Are the powerline adaptors good for remote play? If i use one at router, one to ps4 are they as good as cable?

Cheers

Powerline adapters should certainly help

They are as close to a pure wired connection as you can get without actually going wired

In essence they use your electrical wires to pass the Internet signal

Vash63

I've tried it with both direct WiFi and over my router and it feels kinda laggy either way. It's a huge improvement from the PS3's but compared to the WiiU it's noticeably worse. AC4 felt great on it though and looked stunning, but faster paced games like Resogun were definitely laggy and I couldn't even imagine playing something like Virtua Fighter or Bayonetta/DMC on it.

I'm fairly latency sensitive though, I run most of my games at 100+ FPS without VSync on PC to minimize latency... I was really impressed with how fast the WiiU was though and was hoping this would be the same. It's definitely not.

Top Bottom