• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

whitehawk

Banned
finally got it to work! tried connecting 3 times. first and third were not bad, but the second time was so compressed it was horrible. although the response time was still great. felt pretty much as a responsive as a direct connection.

Wish I had a better upload speed at home though.

I'm pretty sensitive to screen tearing and framerate stutters/hiccups, and I seem to get both pretty consistently using remote play, even while connecting directly from 6-12ft away. Any way to reduce their occurrence? It's pretty much killing my desire to use this feature. =/

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm pretty sensitive to screen tearing and framerate stutters/hiccups, and I seem to get both pretty consistently using remote play, even while connecting directly from 6-12ft away. Any way to reduce their occurrence? It's pretty much killing my desire to use this feature. =/

You have FAQ with tips in post #1, if nothing helps come back here and post what you have done and what is happening.

You have FAQ with tips in post #1, if nothing helps come back here and post what you have done and what is happening.

Thanks for the reply! So far, I've tried shutting off anything that might cause interference, like my wireless router and various other wireless electronics (not sure if they could affect direct connectivity, but figured better safe than sorry), and disabling power saving on the vita. Only games I've tried are resogun and kz:sf. The screen tearing is pretty random, but the frame hiccups and chop are pretty noticeable to me. Now that I think about it, maybe that's just a side effect of the 30fps limit being imposed on games running at a higher than 30fps...?

hesido

Does anybody know, that the PS4 I pair my Vita with should be my activated PS4?

Elaboration: My Vita is tied to my own account, but can it connect and play my PSN games on a PS4 that is not my activated PS4?

Variation: Does remote play just control the PS4 without having to think about account status, so that my wife can play with her account on my Vita? If she can, can she do this also on a non-activated PS4?

Korezo

Vita and ps4 should of supported 5ghz wifi signals, Sony still using cheap ass wifi. Since the Internet modem and router is in the 3rd floor and I'm on the first floor I set up a extended router in the garage to pick up main routers wifi next to my room. So I have 1 direct LAN cable from the extended router to my ps4 and have both routers set to only send out wireless N signals. The remote play is almost perfect with this set up. But if I have the ps4 without a LAN cable forget about it, it would rarely work since I'm on split wifi connections.

DieH@rd

Banned
Vita and ps4 should of supported 5ghz wifi signals, Sony still using cheap ass wifi. Since the Internet modem and router is in the 3rd floor and I'm on the first floor I set up a extended router in the garage to pick up main routers wifi next to my room. So I have 1 direct LAN cable from the extended router to my ps4 and have both routers set to only send out wireless N signals. The remote play is almost perfect with this set up. But if I have the ps4 without a LAN cable forget about it, it would rarely work since I'm on split wifi connections.

I hope that you are aware that 5ghz wifi has a smaller range than 2.4ghz, especially in home environment when signal has to go through walls. Lag is same for both of them, and 2.4ghz has more than enough bandwith for remote play.

Korezo

I hope that you are aware that 5ghz wifi has a smaller range than 2.4ghz, especially in home environment when signal has to go through walls. Lag is same for both of them, and 2.4ghz has more than enough bandwith for remote play.

People seem to have interference issues, this 5ghz would probably solve that, especially to a lot of the people right next to there routers. Microwaves and same channel networks screw your 2.4ghz wifi.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is it possible to set up Remote Play so that audio (and maybe even video) is only output through the Vita?

Nope, RP is mirroring of the PS4 output that is going to the TV. That primary output cannot be stopped. You can mute TV and channge channel/input. :D

Zoe

People seem to have interference issues, this 5ghz would probably solve that, especially to a lot of the people right next to there routers. Microwaves and same channel networks screw your 2.4ghz wifi.

Interference is an issue when the PS4 is the access point, not the router.

sono

Interference is an issue when the PS4 is the access point, not the router.

That seems to be what I am seeing with direct connection to PS4 also.

PS4 is wired to router but vita connects direct to PS4 using the PS4 wifi hardware as the access point.

I dont see how how can you set the channel for that manually on PS4 ?

DieH@rd

Banned
That seems to be what I am seeing with direct connection to PS4 also.

PS4 is wired to router but vita connects direct to PS4 using the PS4 wifi hardware as the access point.

I dont see how how can you set the channel for that manually on PS4 ?

Manual channel can only be set for Vita.

I have BT HH3 and Btinfinity2 (65 down/ 16 up)
Vita works ok with PS4 at home ok (notwithstanding my limited range issue mentioned earlier in the thread), but away from home I cant get it to work at all. I have tried all combinations of UPNP, DMZ and manually opening the required ports. It seems to get as far as connecting but after "checking the connection environment" it says "cannot connect to PS4".. screams

Yep you will not get it to work, I tried for years with the PS3/PSP/Vita combo and nothing, same situation with the PS4, it works fine within the home, but as soon as you get outside it doesn't want to know. The only solution right now is either pay BT for the upgrade to the HH5 which is about £50 or get a different router, which if you have BT Sport and a YouView box like me limits your options.

I have to say that I like the HH5 even though this weekend I came across an issue with connecting my printer via WiFi and it not being recognised on the network until I rebooted the router.

ArmageddB

Interesting.

Direct connection is choppy as hell for me. Question, if the television is off why would the HDMI cable affect RP?

Turns out that turning off the fast hdmi switching option in my AVR fixed the problem. I can now keep the hdmi plugged in the back of the PS4 and I don't have any more issues with it freezing every 14 seconds.

sono

Yep you will not get it to work, I tried for years with the PS3/PSP/Vita combo and nothing, same situation with the PS4, it works fine within the home, but as soon as you get outside it doesn't want to know. The only solution right now is either pay BT for the upgrade to the HH5 which is about £50 or get a different router, which if you have BT Sport and a YouView box like me limits your options.

I have to say that I like the HH5 even though this weekend I came across an issue with connecting my printer via WiFi and it not being recognised on the network until I rebooted the router.

thanks by luck (?) my BT internet contract is a couple of months from renewal so I called them on the weekend, they confirmed that BT homehub 5 would work.

it arrived this morning and I have tested Vita miles away from home (coffee shop free wifi) and it works perfectly.

I am amazed I could play Resogun perfectly well with everything that it has going on in that game as though I was at home, I think Sony have some black magic there..

I did not even have to open any network ports manually I presume therefore that Vita and PS4 work with UPNP with the HOMEHUB 5 to figure that out too.

Anyway in conclusion for me BT HOMEHUB 3 DOES NOT WORK, but BT HOMEHUB 5 works fine for remote play over internet away from home..

Aesthet1c

Has anyone had any issues with their Vita not turning on the PS4? I have paired my Vita to PS4 and I can remote play no problem, but my Vita won't wake the PS4 from standby mode. It will find it and connect to it, but just hang at "Turning on PS4".

I've read around for a solution and the only one I can seem to find is wiping my PS4 and restarting from scratch.

EDIT: Just noticed this was mentioned in the previous page, but no solution really. I also don't have any USB devices plugged in.

UPDATE: I ended up Initializing my PS4. I saw this recommended somewhere online. It wipes everything and sets your PS4 back to factory settings. This fixed the issue for me and I can now turn on my PS4 using the Vita.

thanks by luck (?) my BT internet contract is a couple of months from renewal so I called them on the weekend, they confirmed that BT homehub 5 would work.

it arrived this morning and I have tested Vita miles away from home (coffee shop free wifi) and it works perfectly.

I am amazed I could play Resogun perfectly well with everything that it has going on in that game as though I was at home, I think Sony have some black magic there..

I did not even have to open any network ports manually I presume therefore that Vita and PS4 work with UPNP with the HOMEHUB 5 to figure that out too.

Anyway in conclusion for me BT HOMEHUB 3 DOES NOT WORK, but BT HOMEHUB 5 works fine for remote play over internet away from home..

Nice one that you got the free upgrade, wish I could have but mine wasn't due till August :( However they were nice enough to send me two Home Hubs so I can always eBay the other one.

Yeah I didn't open any ports on mine, I did put the PS4 in DMZ though as for some reason it wouldn't connect without doing that.

Enjoy the remote play!

Still having problems with Remote Play in the home. I don't really have the ability to connect the PS4 via wire with my current setup and now I'm considering a new router.

So, has anyone had any success with in-home remote play with everything wireless? What type of router are you using?

I have gone through the steps to improve stability in the OP. Connection works for a few minutes and then just starts lagging until it completely drops.

georgc

Hey gaf I really need your help I need to narrow down why I can't use remote play outside of my house. Does anyone use a Belkin n600? And does it work. This is driving me crazy.

Grinchy

Banned
It looks like I'm having the same issue that some others are having in this thread. Sometimes my Remote Play works perfectly, other times it doesn't work at all. The other night I played Don't Starve for almost 2 straight hours with RP. I didn't have a single issue. Later on I tried to play some more and it wouldn't stay connected and just kept telling me my Vita connection was too slow.

My Vita also has that random issue where it will just decide to lose its ability to connect to the internet out of nowhere. I'll be watching Youtube and its connection will just randomly cut out and will never work again until I restart or do the "test connection" routine. I think my Vita is the problem with the Remote Play. It's like its wifi adapter just malfunctions.

So, has anyone had any success with in-home remote play with everything wireless? What type of router are you using?
Mine's all wireless. RP has worked the majority of the time for me up until recently. Now it is quite inconsistent. My router is a linksys E1200.

It looks like I'm having the same issue that some others are having in this thread. Sometimes my Remote Play works perfectly, other times it doesn't work at all. The other night I played Don't Starve for almost 2 straight hours with RP. I didn't have a single issue. Later on I tried to play some more and it wouldn't stay connected and just kept telling me my Vita connection was too slow.

My Vita also has that random issue where it will just decide to lose its ability to connect to the internet out of nowhere. I'll be watching Youtube and its connection will just randomly cut out and will never work again until I restart or do the "test connection" routine. I think my Vita is the problem with the Remote Play. It's like its wifi adapter just malfunctions.

Yeah sounds like you might have a faulty wifi adapter in your vita unfortunately :(

Might just be that wifi module and your router don't play well together but that's fairly rare in this day and age

Mine's all wireless. RP has worked the majority of the time for me up until recently. Now it is quite inconsistent. My router is a linksys E1200.

If you care enough I would recommend trying to connect your PS4 via a wired connection if at all possible and turn off direct connect, other users have had the best luck with that as far as I can tell

Grinchy

Banned
If you care enough I would recommend trying to connect your PS4 via a wired connection if at all possible and turn off direct connect, other users have had the best luck with that as far as I can tell

I would love that but it's unfortunately not possible for me. I also haven't tried all the helpful hints in the OP so I am using them now. Hopefully the situation improves! When RP works for me it's really awesome.

I just hope my Vita wifi adapter isn't really faulty, but I've had the weird disconnect issue for a long time now. It got to the point where I just used my phone for youtube videos instead.

I would love that but it's unfortunately not possible for me. I also haven't tried all the helpful hints in the OP so I am using them now. Hopefully the situation improves! When RP works for me it's really awesome.

I just hope my Vita wifi adapter isn't really faulty, but I've had the weird disconnect issue for a long time now. It got to the point where I just used my phone for youtube videos instead.

The fact that the disconnect issue happens with youtube would suggest it's either a problem with your vita, your router, or the connection they make and not the PS4 RP most likely. I'm not entirely sure how you would go about testing that out to see what's the problem though.

For the direct wired connection I was talking about earlier, something like these powerline adapters might help although wouldn't solve any hw issues your vita wifi adapter might be having.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Powerline adapters plug into electrical outlets in your house. One next your router and the other one next to the device you want to "direct" connect. They take the wired internet signal from your router and send it across your electrical wiring in your house to provide an almost guaranteed more robust internet signal than wireless. In the case of the PS4 with its fairly subpar wifi adapter it should really improve the internet connection

lol I feel like a shady internet salesman

Grinchy

Banned
For the direct wired connection I was talking about earlier, something like these powerline adapters might help although wouldn't solve any hw issues your vita wifi adapter might be having.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Powerline adapters plug into electrical outlets in your house. One next your router and the other one next to the device you want to "direct" connect. They take the wired internet signal from your router and send it across your electrical wiring in your house to provide an almost guaranteed more robust internet signal than wireless. In the case of the PS4 with its fairly subpar wifi adapter it should really improve the internet connection

lol I feel like a shady internet salesman

Holy shit. I don't know why I didn't know about this product. This looks incredible!

So could I plug an ethernet hub into the 2nd powerline adapter so that I could plug my PS4 and PS3 in at the same time? Do you think that would cause a degradation of speed? (since you're the salesman lol)

Also I can buy more than 2, right? So I could put one of the adapters in another room?

Holy shit. I don't know why I didn't know about this product. This looks incredible!

So could I plug an ethernet hub into the 2nd powerline adapter so that I could plug my PS4 and PS3 in at the same time? Do you think that would cause a degradation of speed? (since you're the salesman lol)

Also I can buy more than 2, right? So I could put one of the adapters in another room?

First off you can use more than one for sure but it will likely result in degraded speed if used simultaneously [doubt it would affect it if used at different times].

Second the ethernet hub should work fine with the powerline adapter as it would basically just be a switch since I'd doubt you'd use them together.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
my remote play is too slow! and sometimes disconnects

On kind of a whim, I decided to try Remote Play for the first time since launch, where it was unusable even after I switched the PS4 to an ethernet connection. Well, it now works! Was there anything related to Remote Play in the recent PS4 patch or have there been any Vita patches that improved it? Or, maybe I'm being fortunate right now and this is a fluke. Either way, this is a cool feature that I wish I could have been using since launch.

my remote play is too slow! and sometimes disconnects

Have you tied reading the OP of this thread? It has many tips and tricks to ensure you're getting the optimal RP experience. For instance a direct Ethernet connection to your PS4 and disabling the option for your Vita to connect directly to your PS4 will likely result in a much improved RP

On kind of a whim, I decided to try Remote Play for the first time since launch, where it was unusable even after I switched the PS4 to an ethernet connection. Well, it now works! Was there anything related to Remote Play in the recent PS4 patch or have there been any Vita patches that improved it? Or, maybe I'm being fortunate right now and this is a fluke. Either way, this is a cool feature that I wish I could have been using since launch.

I believe it's likely some of the stability updates in the patches would apply to RP

Grinchy

Banned
First off you can use more than one for sure but it will likely result in degraded speed if used simultaneously [doubt it would affect it if used at different times].

Second the ethernet hub should work fine with the powerline adapter as it would basically just be a switch since I'd doubt you'd use them together.

I ordered a pair. It should be here on Saturday, can't wait!

Remote Play actually worked flawlessly for me last night, but I would have ordered the powerline adapter even if RP worked for me every time. I'm pretty pumped to have my PS4 directly connected.

I ordered a pair. It should be here on Saturday, can't wait!

Remote Play actually worked flawlessly for me last night, but I would have ordered the powerline adapter even if RP worked for me every time. I'm pretty pumped to have my PS4 directly connected.

Cool. Let me know how things turn out for sure. I've almost always found powerline adapters to be a good solution to the problem of getting wired internet places.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm still blown away at how well this works at my house. Wireless N makes a big difference.

I'm having one small issue where after about half an hour with Injustice I'll get some lag, but if I back out of Remote Play for a second and return it'll stop. Any ideas?

Otherwise, it's a gem. Even when half an hour away.

I'm having one small issue where after about half an hour with Injustice I'll get some lag, but if I back out of Remote Play for a second and return it'll stop. Any ideas?

To be honest others on here such as DieH@rd would likely be better at figuring out the best way to setup your router.

Only thing I can think of is:

1. Is your PS4 directly connected to the internet via ethernet? IE wired connection instead of wireless
  2. Do you have "Direct Connect to the PS4" turned off on your PS4? Connecting to your router works better for a lot of people

So I have Uverse 2Wire router, from what I have read remote play over the internet just does not work with this uverse router. Anyone here know differently.

My connection is 1.5mps upload so even if I get it to work its probably going to be bad in my current connection setting huh.

Remote play at home works fantastic at least.

SeanR1221

So I got one of those netgear ethernet power line adapters and it works perfectly. I have 15/5 fios and on wifi I used to get like 6-8mbps. Now I get 13. Remote play works great now over wifi. I still can't use direct connect upstairs because it tries connecting to the ps4 through the floor.

Gonna call Verizon today about upgrading to 75mbps. 15mbps seems so slow now.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
Hey guys new user here. I apologize in advance for my post which is going to be extremely long but I would REALLY APPRECIATE if someone who is more advanced with remote play could read this over and help a fellow gamer out!

I am trying to get this to work to remote play over the internet!

Here is the run down; I had AT&T for the past year and they gave me the 2WIRE Router/Modem combo. I have taken all the required steps in making remote play work. I have activated my PS4 as the primary, I have turned on the auto login feature, I have turned on the remote play feature on the PS4 for Vita, I have hard-wired my PS4 (tried wi-fi as well), I have turned on the features to awake the PS4 from the internet, I have set my PS4 in stand by, I have enabled UPNP, I have opened or "turned on" the ports for port forwarding for PS4, DMZ is off for me (tried both ways and get a step furture with it off), I have the Vita paired with the PS4, I have the direct connect with Vita/PS4 turned off however I cannot get this to fully work. With my luck my contract recently ended with AT&T.

With that being said I now have Comcast and am getting fantastic speeds... as well as my girlfriends house which is where I'd like to be using the Vita for remote play over the internet. When I found out about the 2WIRE router/modem not letting you be able to configure UPNP I bought a Belkin N600... however I did all the steps on that I think since I did not bridge the 2WIRE it still was hanging up... along with AT&T's slowwwww network speeds.

With the switch to Comcast I returned the Belkin N600 and bought a 2TB Apple Time Capsule... the sales guy at my local Best Buy said this router supports UPNP and DMZ Mode... however looking online I don't know if that was the truth or not?

So what I am begging here for is help setting up this Apple TC so I can remote play over the internet, if its possible... if not I am able to return it and get something else. I would like to get something top of the line so I have the best speeds possible and the best chance for remote play over an outside network.

If this can be done my TC can someone help me? I am having the hardest time even figuring out how to access the router settings of it... its not like any other router in my opinion. And if it can't be done, which router should I go with? And then I may need help with those settings if possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this or would like to help! If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I will be checking back quite frequently!

With the switch to Comcast I returned the Belkin N600 and bought a 2TB Apple Time Capsule... the sales guy at my local Best Buy said this router supports UPNP and DMZ Mode... however looking online I don't know if that was the truth or not?

So what I am begging here for is help setting up this Apple TC so I can remote play over the internet, if its possible... if not I am able to return it and get something else. I would like to get something top of the line so I have the best speeds possible and the best chance for remote play over an outside network.

If this can be done my TC can someone help me? I am having the hardest time even figuring out how to access the router settings of it... its not like any other router in my opinion. And if it can't be done, which router should I go with? And then I may need help with those settings if possible.!

Wait so is the Belkin N600 your router or the is the Apple Time Capsule your router? I thought the time capsule acted as a NAS device?

Can't offer any specific help other than out of perhaps the dozen or so people who have tried to get RP to work on Apple routers, maybe 1 has been successful?

In my limited experience Apple routers do not play well with others outside of the apple ecosystem or at least not to the same extent as non-apple routers seem to. In college my entire floor of the dorm's internet went down for a week because a Apple router 3 floors above was causing mayhem on the network. Of course that could've just been the network guy making stuff up.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
Wait so is the Belkin N600 your router or the is the Apple Time Capsule your router? I thought the time capsule acted as a NAS device?

Can't offer any specific help other than out of perhaps the dozen or so people who have tried to get RP to work on Apple routers, maybe 1 has been successful?

In my limited experience Apple routers do not play well with others outside of the apple ecosystem or at least not to the same extent as non-apple routers seem to. In college my entire floor of the dorm's internet went down for a week because a Apple router 3 floors above was causing mayhem on the network. Of course that could've just been the network guy making stuff up.

When I had AT&T they provided me with their 2WIRE Modem/Router combo. I tried logging into it to configure the settings but 2WIRE doesn't offer the UPNP option and I could not get Remote play to work. Someone who had AT&T that got RP to work suggested the Belkin N600, so I went out and got one of those. Configured it properly and tested it. It would turn the PS4 on but it would fail there. I had gave the Vita to my girlfriend and had her test it. At my house I had the tv on to see what was going on. It got to the home screen asking my to choose a user to login... even though I had setup the automatic sign in. I think it was something to do with the Belkin Router not fully handling all my network stuff... the 2WIRE router was interfering... my speeds also sucked with AT&T. I am now with Comcast as of this weekend and should have no problems speed wise. I bought the Apple Time Capsule router and returned the Belkin. I went with Apple because of the wireless 2TB backups and storage and my household is "Apple Friendly" lol. But if remote play is near impossible to set up on an Apple Time Capsule I will return it for "__________" router. Whatever one seems to be the best for Remote play.

I hope that makes sense, and I am sorry for my such lengthy posts.

When I had AT&T they provided me with their 2WIRE Modem/Router combo. I tried logging into it to configure the settings but 2WIRE doesn't offer the UPNP option and I could not get Remote play to work. Someone who had AT&T that got RP to work suggested the Belkin N600, so I went out and got one of those. Configured it properly and tested it. It would turn the PS4 on but it would fail there. I had gave the Vita to my girlfriend and had her test it. At my house I had the tv on to see what was going on. It got to the home screen asking my to choose a user to login... even though I had setup the automatic sign in. I think it was something to do with the Belkin Router not fully handling all my network stuff... the 2WIRE router was interfering... my speeds also sucked with AT&T. I am now with Comcast as of this weekend and should have no problems speed wise. I bought the Apple Time Capsule router and returned the Belkin. I went with Apple because of the wireless 2TB backups and storage and my household is "Apple Friendly" lol. But if remote play is near impossible to set up on an Apple Time Capsule I will return it for "__________" router. Whatever one seems to be the best for Remote play.

I hope that makes sense, and I am sorry for my such lengthy posts.

I should start by clarifying that I can only offer a little advice in the way of routers for RP.

Did you ever try the Belkin N600 router with your Comcast modem once you switched services? It sounds like with AT&T, the provided AT&T router was giving you problems even though you were using the Belkin N600 router at the time.

I have no real hand's on experience with Apple routers so not sure if there is a logical next step there. Perhaps there is someway to install custom firmware or something to gain more control over it? I really don't know

Top Bottom