• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

This is hands downs probably one of my favorite features of the PS4. I played through most of Assassin Creed 4 and Tomb Raider while at school and work. I can see the frustration most people may have with it due to lack of opening ports and their internet connection speed for the PS4 and Vita. But man when it works, it works. Way better than OnLive ever was.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
I should start by clarifying that I can only offer a little advice in the way of routers for RP.

Did you ever try the Belkin N600 router with your Comcast modem once you switched services? It sounds like with AT&T, the provided AT&T router was giving you problems even though you were using the Belkin N600 router at the time.

I have no real hand's on experience with Apple routers so not sure if there is a logical next step there. Perhaps there is someway to install custom firmware or something to gain more control over it? I really don't know

Sadly, no I didn't try it with the Comcast modem when I switched. I went to Best Buy to pick up a modem instead of renting one from Comcast and when I told the guys there what I wanted to do they kind of laughed and said Belkin isn't that good, and is a step under Netgear and Linkys etc. He then brought up the Apple TC and said that was a very good router. So far no problem "router" wise. But for what I want to do it may not be sufficient enough.

This dang thing was $300 with the 2TB wifi hard drive so I have no issue buying a higher end router instead of this if that'll get this remote play working! :)

Sadly, no I didn't try it with the Comcast modem when I switched. I went to Best Buy to pick up a modem instead of renting one from Comcast and when I told the guys there what I wanted to do they kind of laughed and said Belkin isn't that good, and is a step under Netgear and Linkys etc. He then brought up the Apple TC and said that was a very good router. So far no problem "router" wise. But for what I want to do it may not be sufficient enough.

This dang thing was $300 with the 2TB wifi hard drive so I have no issue buying a higher end router instead of this if that'll get this remote play working! :)

For the product that it is the time capsule is a good bit of tech if not a bit pricey. I think you would have reasonable results if you got a more mainstream router that was easier to configure but I can't promise anything nor do I know if it's impossible to get the Time Capsule to work with the RP.

If you are looking for another router I hear good things about the more expensive Asus one's something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QB1RPY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ABeezy13

Neo Member
For the product that it is the time capsule is a good bit of tech if not a bit pricey. I think you would have reasonable results if you got a more mainstream router that was easier to configure but I can't promise anything nor do I know if it's impossible to get the Time Capsule to work with the RP.

If you are looking for another router I hear good things about the more expensive Asus one's something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QB1RPY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for your fast feedback! Yeah its a bummer that from what I gather this Apple TC won't work for remote play. I am going to see if anyone else chimes in and knows much bout the TC and if I have a shot with it. If not I think I will end up returning it... I have heard about that Asus one, and would be willing to try it out if the TC is a no go!

Thanks for your fast feedback! Yeah its a bummer that from what I gather this Apple TC won't work for remote play. I am going to see if anyone else chimes in and knows much bout the TC and if I have a shot with it. If not I think I will end up returning it... I have heard about that Asus one, and would be willing to try it out if the TC is a no go!

I can tell you I had the newest model of AirPort Extreme (same as the TC, just without the hard drive inside) and it wouldn't work for Remote Play even if I opened all the necessary ports. I switched to an Asus router and it's worked like a charm ever since. I love Apple stuff, I'm an owner of an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook, but for the purposes of Remote Play their routers are no good. For 99% of the population though they are perfectly good routers.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
I can tell you I had the newest model of AirPort Extreme (same as the TC, just without the hard drive inside) and it wouldn't work for Remote Play even if I opened all the necessary ports. I switched to an Asus router and it's worked like a charm ever since. I love Apple stuff, I'm an owner of an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook, but for the purposes of Remote Play their routers are no good. For 99% of the population though they are perfectly good routers.

You must feel my pain then... I have a iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro as well... and several others in the house do too. So being able to take advantage of this and the 2 TB is just beyond awesome.

But now I am torn... Remote play I think wins this battle... when I go to my GF's house usually all weekend it would be so much nicer to bring the Vita and remote play versus lugging the PS4.

Just want to make sure if I go with one of those nicer Asus ones hopefully it should almost "100% guaranteed work".

You must feel my pain then... I have a iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro as well... and several others in the house do too. So being able to take advantage of this and the 2 TB is just beyond awesome.

But now I am torn... Remote play I think wins this battle... when I go to my GF's house usually all weekend it would be so much nicer to bring the Vita and remote play versus lugging the PS4.

Just want to make sure if I go with one of those nicer Asus ones hopefully it should almost "100% guaranteed work".

I only made the switch about a week ago, so I don't have too much time with the Asus that replaced my AirPort, but so far so good. Hopefully other people in this thread can also confirm that they too have had no problems with an Asus router.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
I only made the switch about a week ago, so I don't have too much time with the Asus that replaced my AirPort, but so far so good. Hopefully other people in this thread can also confirm that they too have had no problems with an Asus router.

I too have Asus, no problems

May I ask both of you what internet provider you use?

Just curious on how you set your PS4 and router up then to get remote play working flawlessly?

Just curious on how you set your PS4 and router up then to get remote play working flawlessly?

I have Comcast. I have the wireless gateway they provide, and had them put it in bridge mode so it's only a modem and not a wifi router. I have UPnP enabled on my router, and direct connect turned off for Remote Play on my PS4. I have only tried RP from my girlfriend's place since I've switched to the Asus, but it worked fine from there.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
I have Comcast. I have the wireless gateway they provide, and had them put it in bridge mode so it's only a modem and not a wifi router. I have UPnP enabled on my router, and direct connect turned off for Remote Play on my PS4. I have only tried RP from my girlfriend's place since I've switched to the Asus, but it worked fine from there.

Thanks for all your responses. I appreciate people that lend a helping hand! I think I am going to return this TC... so very sad :( I am such an Apple guy. But my goal here is remote play!

Speaking of gateway... I have the arris modem, not sure what model but Comcast gave me it since I have the Triple play package. (Phone, internet, tv). So will I have to call and have them bridge this as well? Supposedly according to the technician that was out said its the only modem out there that offers internet and phone.

I did not have to bridge anything for this apple router... well, not yet at least.

Speaking of gateway... I have the arris modem, not sure what model but Comcast gave me it since I have the Triple play package. (Phone, internet, tv). So will I have to call and have them bridge this as well? Supposedly according to the technician that was out said its the only modem out there that offers internet and phone.

I did not have to bridge anything for this apple router... well, not yet at least.

I'm fairly sure that Got the Shakes was given a router/modem hybrid from Comcast like you were given from At&T. He then asked Comcast to force it into modem only mode so that it wouldn't conflict with the separate Asus router he would use.

For you it sounds like you were given the standard Comcast modem so you should have no problem using an external router with it.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
I'm fairly sure that Got the Shakes was given a router/modem hybrid from Comcast like you were given from At&T. He then asked Comcast to force it into modem only mode so that it wouldn't conflict with the separate Asus router he would use.

For you it sounds like you were given the standard Comcast modem so you should have no problem using an external router with it.

Phew lol... I was going to say its my AT&T nightmare all over again. Yeah I believe I just have a modem. Looks like I will be packaging up this TC and purchasing an Asus.

Not to derail the topic at hand here but speaking of Asus... I literally just got Comcast this past Saturday and my internet package is the highest offered - The Comcast blast of speeds of 50MBPS, however used the speed test and I am only getting 30. Would the Apple TC be causing this? Mind you I was in the room with the router when I tested. Just curious if Asus would give me those top notch speeds... hell I am paying for it so should get it!

Not to derail the topic at hand here but speaking of Asus... I literally just got Comcast this past Saturday and my internet package is the highest offered - The Comcast blast of speeds of 50MBPS, however used the speed test and I am only getting 30. Would the Apple TC be causing this? Mind you I was in the room with the router when I tested. Just curious if Asus would give me those top notch speeds... hell I am paying for it so should get it!

I've found in my experience that you often don't get the speeds you're promised

That being said are you testing the speed on a wireless connection or a wired connection?

I would test your speed via both wired and wireless. Then you can tell if the router is causing any slowdown

ABeezy13

Neo Member
I've found in my experience that you often don't get the speeds you're promised

That being said are you testing the speed on a wireless connection or a wired connection?

I would test your speed via both wired and wireless. Then you can tell if the router is causing any slowdown

I figured as much... just was curious though. I am testing via wifi, so wireless connection. Which I know is not "as fast" but being in the same room with an above average router I assumed I'd have close to 50. Regardless as well as my girlfriend are both averaging about 30 and 10 which should be pretty dang good for RP!

Akauser

Banned
Sorry gonna be a long post.

I have been playing around with Remote Play since launch and have managed to get it to work with great ease from various locations and with varying internet speeds and connections. In fact its worked so well I can even manage a connection over 3G. (I can make a video of this if someone wants to see it but lag is far too much to make anything playable) I have posted a video of a normal internet connection but wasn't able to show and say much as I was at work. The information here is everything in the video description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMaVsDvZbAI

PS4 Ethernet Connected 60 Download 8 Upload
PS4 Set Up Static IP and DMZ in Router.
Internet: Virgin Media
Router: Virgin SuperHub 2 (Netgear)
Internet at Work: BT Openzone 15 Download 10 Upload
Ping: 18ms

The Remote Play feature is fantastic if set up correctly which unfortunately many don't do. The perception with Remote Play is that an extremely good internet connection is required. This simply is not the case, that's not to say however that its not helpful. By my estimation a connection above 5mb download and 5mb upload is pretty much all you require. The 5mb download should be at the Remote Play location away from home (i.e at work) to download the stream being sent by the PS4 via the homes 5mb upload. (This also fits with what PlayStation Now requires.)

It usually takes around 1 to 1 and a half minutes to establish a connection via the Internet. Once its connected I don't notice any frame dropouts, skipping, artifacting, screen tearing, sound distortion or the icon to display network issues. In fact I have completed more of Assassins Creed at work than I have at home.

In terms of the gameplay shown in the above video I didn't start too well as I got cornered by the guards. Lol
It was hard to record and play at the same time and all at the risk of being caught at work. I used Assassins Creed to show amongst other things the latency and how it effects timing of countering during fights. Overall the stream is pretty much perfect, I was able to get my countering down toward the end.

Remote Play isn't an exact science and works differently for everyone. In a real world situation we all have very different network infrastructures. The key however is to understanding the elements that affect Remote Play adversely. Also note games such as twitch shooter are always gonna be subject to issues of lag latency however I had no issues with latency in the video. Having tried Call of Duty via Remote Play I have found it harder to play owing to a slight lag which in shooting games is difficult to get to grips with.

I work 9 miles away from where I live.

How To Set Up Remote Play

PS4 is connected via Ethernet to an internet speed of 60 down 8 up. The PS4 network test will show around 40 down 5 up. Which is still not the best but will suffice. It is also important to do the following few things to your home network;

1. Set up a static IP for your PS4. There are many videos out there and its a very simple procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PYMJmf3SxM

2. Update the firmware on your router. Some routers don't work as well as others. Apple Airport being an example of one that doesn't play nice.
3. Port forwarding and setting UPNP on your router settings. Guides for this are on Sonys official site or the OP.

4. Setting the PS4 into the routers DMZ this requires a static IP and is again done through the router settings.
5. When connecting at home use Apps such Wifi Analyzer and InSSIDer (Android and Iphone) . These apps show the WiFi channels being utilized in your area by other routers and devices. Too much traffic on your channel can cause dropouts in your connection. These apps can show or even recommend a less busy channel to change to. Use the Router Settings menu to change your Routers WiFi Channel. Remember to keep the change to channels either 1,6 or 11 as a channel for your router. On the vita via the WiFi settings menu you can also change the channel try either 1,6 or 11 to see what works best for you or leave it auto. This will help significantly with people experiencing dropouts or artifacting at home. I have found multiple internet enabled devices running on the same WiFi channel can cause issues with Remote Play.
6. Be sure to turn off Power Save WiFi mode in your Vita settings too.

Internet Away From The Home.

The single most important thing to note is PING! Connection establishment is easy once you have correctly set up the PS4 and your home network. Ping is the speed of communication at both ends basically the lower the better. I usually get a ping of about 25ms at work. This is pretty reasonable however this is something you almost cannot control. Connection speeds pretty much only determine the quality of the stream being sent to the Vita. As an example I have also been able to connect via 3G as in some areas I am able to get a connection on 3G around 6-8mb Dowlonad. Though Ping and latency are more prevalent with this connection maybe around 100ms.

As the video shows, again I am not getting the best upload/download speed. However this is enough to work as long the rest of the infrastructure is well set up. My workplace also has the issue of "Router may not support IP fragment packets" however this isn't a problem and shouldn't be for Remote playing. My works connection is around 15 down 10 up.

I also had a dropout once where I couldn't so reset a few settings from the PS4 dashboard and re-registered the PS Vita system. Sometimes it can be something as simple as this.

darkwing

I'm not in the US but it is basically the same modem/router stuff, only I didn't put the modem/router into bridge mode, turned my Asus router basically into a switch only

Akauser

Banned
How are you getting 8mb upload with virgin? I'm on 60 down but only get 3 up.

I get 8 up but should get 12 up they are in the process of pushing me upto 120 so that could be it. You should be getting 6 up as they use a stacked system

30/3
60/6
120/12
152/12

I think i sit somewhere inbetween 60 and 120 i also live in London where the infrastructure is a lot better.

Maiar_m

Remote play is great, but I really wish I could use the dualshock while playing on the vita screen. The button mapping through the touchscreen really isn't that nice...

JCizzle

Awesome post, thank you Akauser. I had given up on remote play due to shoddy connections, but will definitely try out that guide. Huge help!

manzo

My PS4 is connected straight to the Internet (bridged). It gets a public IP, NAT1. Basically no firewalls whatsoever.

Still can't get my Vita to connect via the Internet. Not from my WLAN or tethered via WLAN to my iPhone. The PS4 boots up, but no connection can be made. I think it gets SOME connection, since the PS4 wakes up from suspend, but Vita just stays at the trying to establish connection..

Akauser

Banned
My PS4 is connected straight to the Internet (bridged). It gets a public IP, NAT1. Basically no firewalls whatsoever.

Still can't get my Vita to connect via the Internet. Not from my WLAN or tethered via WLAN to my iPhone. The PS4 boots up, but no connection can be made. I think it gets SOME connection, since the PS4 wakes up from suspend, but Vita just stays at the trying to establish connection..

Does it ever move to "checking the network enviroment"?

suedester

Banned

I had this issue and bought a new router. Works every time now apart from today ironically, but i think that is down to the firmware update from this morning.

Akauser

Banned
Question, are there any games with Remote Play implictly disabled? Is that even possible?

Yes certain games which require peripherals (camera or move) are disabled also some apps such as Netflix do not remote play either some do. I think on a system level everything can be "remoted" however they are turned off and on dependant on game or app.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
Got a busy day today so tomorrow afternoon I'll be returning the Apple Time Capsule.

After reading the reviews on the suggested Asus router I'm curious as to what everyone thinks of Netgear's nighthawk router?

Should I stick with purchasing the Asus for remote play or should I go with the nighthawk? Been reading on both and can't decide!

LuchaShaq

Banned
Remote play is still going great for me.

Had a 10 hour shift at my gas station/auto shop saturday.

Snow killed us so it was dead for about 8 hours, but had to stay open because a guy was coming to deliver heating oil at the end of my shift.

Played about 6.5 hours of Don't Starve/AC4 freedom cry despite being 45 min away from home.

At this point I would consider buying digital ps4 games just so I can remote play them without making sure they are in the drive.

Akauser

Banned

Snow killed us so it was dead for about 8 hours, but had to stay open because a guy was coming to deliver heating oil at the end of my shift.

Played about 6.5 hours of Don't Starve/AC4 freedom cry despite being 45 min away from home.

At this point I would consider buying digital ps4 games just so I can remote play them without making sure they are in the drive.

Or you could buy a "little brother". I do night shifts and get him to change my discs :p

DieH@rd

Banned

:) Do you have report on battery life? Is it longer with RP than with local Vita gaming? I figure that the SoC will be less stressed during RP [but on the other hand, WiFi is active all the time].

Correct. Comcast was forced their new gateways (modem/wifi router) on everyone in our area. They said this was to take advantage in bandwidth in my area (believe it or not, my speeds have been much better with the new modem). I had to call them to put it in bridge mode.because I didn't want to use their built in wifi router, and I didn't want the wireless signal from it interfering with my Asus router.

JCizzle

Got a busy day today so tomorrow afternoon I'll be returning the Apple Time Capsule.

After reading the reviews on the suggested Asus router I'm curious as to what everyone thinks of Netgear's nighthawk router?

Should I stick with purchasing the Asus for remote play or should I go with the nighthawk? Been reading on both and can't decide!

Can you link the recommended Asus one? I didn't see it in the OP and would love to replace mine with one that people actually have good results with.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
Great, that's awesome. Thank you.

I just bought the nighthawk. Gonna hook it up tonight. If you go with Asus you wanna get a "AC" model and not the one I linked you that was suggested. That's a "N" model which is being phased out within a year so. Wi-fi is going to AC.

Here's a link for reference:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-what-s-the-difference

Asus does make a AC model that runs for about $220, this netgear nighthawk was $200. Won't be home until tonight so I'll report back. Hopefully my final result will be remote playing across the Internet!

I just bought the nighthawk. Gonna hook it up tonight. If you go with Asus you wanna get a "AC" model and not the one I linked you that was suggested. That's a "N" model which is being phased out within a year so. Wi-fi is going to AC.

Here's a link for reference:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-what-s-the-difference

Asus does make a AC model that runs for about $220, this netgear nighthawk was $200. Won't be home until tonight so I'll report back. Hopefully my final result will be remote playing across the Internet!

I actually have the Asus RT-AC68R (same as the 68U, just sold in retail instead of online). It's what I replaced my AirPort Extreme AC router with. It normally retails for $220, but I picked it up on a 1 day sale at Best Buy for $120. The price is actually the main reason that I switched from my AirPort, it was just too good of a deal to pass up to get Remote Play working right, and future proofing with an AC router.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
Well I am going to say that this Nighthawk router is freaking amazing! I love the router interface too. Its very easy! Hooked up my wireless printer and all my devices! Everything is good to go. Speeds are pretty legit also!

For the hell of it I googled "PS4 Remote play with nighthawk router" and I am getting some results of users not having to do anything to the router or the PS4... wonder how true that is.

JCizzle

Well I am going to say that this Nighthawk router is freaking amazing! I love the router interface too. Its very easy! Hooked up my wireless printer and all my devices! Everything is good to go. Speeds are pretty legit also!

For the hell of it I googled "PS4 Remote play with nighthawk router" and I am getting some results of users not having to do anything to the router or the PS4... wonder how true that is.

Keep us updated how the quality is once you get to play around with it!

LuchaShaq

Banned
:) Do you have report on battery life? Is it longer with RP than with local Vita gaming? I figure that the SoC will be less stressed during RP [but on the other hand, WiFi is active all the time].

I have one of those nyko power grips so I can cycle that in and out.

Haven't measured battery life at all. I would assume it would lower battery life but no idea.

My main router is in the 3rd floor, so I have a wireless extender in the garage sending signal downstairs. The ps4 is connected to the wireless extender in the garage directly.

Ah well that's likely going to kill the signal quality a bit. I would usually recommend a powerline adapter over a wireless extender but it does depend a little on the location in the environment.

I would say it's safe to assume that your wireless extender is having trouble maintaining both the download and the upload for RP simultaneously but that's just my best guess.

Akauser

Banned
Ah well that's likely going to kill the signal quality a bit. I would usually recommend a powerline adapter over a wireless extender but it does depend a little on the location in the environment.

I would say it's safe to assume that your wireless extender is having trouble maintaining both the download and the upload for RP simultaneously but that's just my best guess.

Anything where Internet bandwith is being used other than remote play will effect remote play. I have found multiplayer to be almost unplayable in conditions where Single Player is highly playable (the difference being lag and artifacting) I can imagine a background download causing the same sort of problems. Shame really one of the only things I havent really been able to sort out.

On a side note I have found buying a dual band router is also a good way to improve remote play at home. I have been able to shift 4/5 onto the 5 GhZ signal thus de-cluttering the 2.4 GhZ signal. I guess its good if you have lots of devices connected to the Internet.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
Keep us updated how the quality is once you get to play around with it!

As for the router quality, it's top notch! One dead zone area in my house where devices would constantly drop signal are now lightning quick with no issues!

NOW ONTO THE EVEN BETTER NEWS...OH HELL YEAH! I am so happy right now. Brought the vita to work, and bam! Remote play works! I have AC4 in, gonna fire it up to try game play in a minute but the PS4 home screen is fast and responsive with no lag!

The crazy part is I didn't touch a single setting on the nighthawk router. My PS4 is wirelessly connected and is NOT set up with a static IP. I have my PS4 direct connect turned off , I obviously have it paired with my vita, I have auto login turned on, and I have enable to start up from sleep mode. I am a very happy camper right now!

EDIT: it's worth noting I hit connect remote play and it got to the checking the Internet stage then times out. So tried it a second time and it worked... Probably takes a minute to turn the PS4 on over the Internet. Second point to notice is this nighthawk router defaults to enable UPNP. But like I said I didn't configure a single router setting or put my PS4 into a static IP.

Top Bottom