• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

lucius

Man, remote play with Shadowfall is terrible. Erratic, stuttery framerate, and just unnecessary lag. Its quite jarring because BF4 is damn near perfect via direct connect as is Lego Marvel.
Wonder if it has anything to do with its unlocked framerate?

I never get that with Killzone with remote play, I only play the campaign and did have trouble at first with the back touchpad controls since swipes seem to work better for me with that. But it plays great now, I was able to beat levels on Hard on remote play. I stay about 15ft away when I remote play though.

RaikuHebi

Banned
By time-out she means that the Vita screen will dim every minute or so due to the lack of button input. A temporary solution would be to tape down one of the buttons, no option exists unfortunately.

It'll be a perfect solution with Vita TV that's for sure.

Bailers

Yes it certainly does although I would say it suggests the hardware seems to be there for it to work, the only issues seem to be network and software related

I imagine the software end of things (turning on your PS4 will become more stable over time) but network issues will persist

Think I might buy a new router to try it when I get my vita

So is the consensus that the router matters? I've had almost zero problems with RP at home, but never had any luck from outside the house on a Verizon hotspot. I'm not complaining, because I have a shameful backlog of Vita games to play, but it would be nice to have the option.

And generally speaking, I love this. Resogun is fantastic, played almost the entire game on my vita.

By time-out she means that the Vita screen will dim every minute or so due to the lack of button input. A temporary solution would be to tape down one of the buttons, no option exists unfortunately.

It'll be a perfect solution with Vita TV that's for sure.

That is a power and screen saving feature right? If we'd disable that then it wouldn't auto dim correct?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does the PS4 behave if you lose a remote play connection? I'm playing for the first time away from home during Christmas, and I case it drops the connection, does the PS4 shut down, or will it stay on until any power saving setting turns it off (eg after two hours)?

avaya

How does the PS4 behave if you lose a remote play connection? I'm playing for the first time away from home during Christmas, and I case it drops the connection, does the PS4 shut down, or will it stay on until any power saving setting turns it off (eg after two hours)?

stays on, till power save setting turns it off/standby.

Hilti92

I'm having trouble keeping connection with my PS4 via remote play. It is connected via wireless router but I am sitting 3 feet from my PS4 and it's choppy and glitchy. Aswell as it cuts off after a couple of minutes. What is the best route in fixing this?
EDIT: Never mind. Set up direct connect and it fired up perfectly. Blown away.

kriskrosbbk

Guys , I have perfect remote play at home ,but was at my family for Christmas and just couldnt connect over the internet . I have decided to forward the ports and it worked but now my internet connection became really slow from 80mbps to 3mbps :/ I have a TP-Link router and here are my settings :

ID Trigger Port /Trigger Protocol/ Incoming Port Incoming Protocol Status
1 9295 TCP 9295-9304 TCP Enabled Modify Delete
2 9296 UDP 9295-9304 UDP Enabled Modify Delete

Can you help and check whats wroing in this picture that impacts my overall connection! Meanwhile the UPnP set both external and internal ports to 9308 which dont do the job and I cannot edit them.

Much appreciated

JCX

I had my first successful remote play via wifi from a different network. Save for a few hiccups when action got intense, RP was super smooth. It's inconsistent, but when i works, it's truly next-gen.

Toki767

I was remote playing over the holidays from 400 miles away from my PS4. It worked fairly well other than most games not having optimized controls for remote play.

satori

Just reporting in. I am currently remote playing from work using my phone as a hot spot. O-o it is working surprisingly well. I was expecting massive amount of lag. If not out right not working. I have not lose connection and it seriously is not lagging to the point where it was becoming unplayable.

It is definitely serviceable. Would be perfect for any kind of rpg or srpg imo. I wonder how it would work on an MMO of some type. It would be nice to be able to farm while at work when we have some major downtime lol.

Edit:
Just ran speed test on my phone. Its 4g from T mobile:

Ping 18 DL: 21Mbps Upload 4.30 Mbps

Wtf I had no idea I was getting these speeds lol.

RoKKeR

I was remote playing over the holidays from 400 miles away from my PS4. It worked fairly well other than most games not having optimized controls for remote play.
This is so cool and I'm looking to do this when I get back to school. How do you set it up for this kind of remote play? I'm still shaky on how it works.

kriskrosbbk

Guys ,did you do any router settings to make it work over the internet or just UPnP ?
Port forwarding ?

I just cannot make it work :/

btkadams

Guys ,did you do any router settings to make it work over the internet or just UPnP ?
Port forwarding ?

Same! I don't have fancy customized settings on my router and this just doesn't seem to work when I'm not at home. I'm at my bf's house right now and he has decent internet. It just searches forever.

spwolf

Guys , I have perfect remote play at home ,but was at my family for Christmas and just couldnt connect over the internet . I have decided to forward the ports and it worked but now my internet connection became really slow from 80mbps to 3mbps :/ I have a TP-Link router and here are my settings :

ID Trigger Port /Trigger Protocol/ Incoming Port Incoming Protocol Status
1 9295 TCP 9295-9304 TCP Enabled Modify Delete
2 9296 UDP 9295-9304 UDP Enabled Modify Delete

Can you help and check whats wroing in this picture that impacts my overall connection! Meanwhile the UPnP set both external and internal ports to 9308 which dont do the job and I cannot edit them.

Much appreciated

did you try updating tp-link firmware? Nothing you do "should" make your ruter slower overall.

kriskrosbbk

UPnP required, at least with DD-WRT. Port forwarding did nothing.

For UPnP I have this :

Current UPnP Settings List
ID App Description External | Port Protocol Internal Port IP Address Status
1 192.168.0.100:9308 to 9308 | UDP 9308 UDP 9308 192.168.0.100 Enabled

Still no luck . Not sure whats trying port 9308 tho

btkadams

Will this not work if my PS4 is wired to a router that is plugged into the main router? I'm bad with the terminology for this stuff. I guess that would make it a switch?

I'm referring to Remote Play via internet.

RoKKeR

How do you know whether you are connected direct vs. over wifi?

Also, what are the chances of this working on a university network?

I'm sat in the same room as my PS4 and Wireless router, and having problems.
It works, but I keep getting the Grey square exclamation mark PS4 box in the top left of the Vita screen often and then it's like it's trying to catch up with what the PS4 displayed while the Vita stopped updating.
I have direct connection turned on, on the PS4, PS4 is wireless with router.

Edit: just found an ethernet cable and connected the PS4 to the router, see if this helps.

Edit 2: can't confirm if i'm directly connected to the PS4 or Router, but still lags out too much to be useable with that top left corner grey square, i'm 8 - 9 feet from the PS4.

DieH@rd

Banned
It works, but I keep getting the Grey square exclamation mark PS4 box in the top left of the Vita screen often and then it's like it's trying to catch up with what the PS4 displayed while the Vita stopped updating.

Edit: just found an ethernet cable and connected the PS4 to the router, see if this helps.

Edit 2: can't confirm if i'm directly connected to the PS4 or Router, but still lags out too much to be useable with that top left corner grey square, i'm 8 - 9 feet from the PS4.

Turn off vita power saving modes, and check with mobile phone if your home has WiFi channel interferance. You can easily move Vita WiFi module to another channel. Info is in OP.

I've been getting alot of "Connection seed might be too slow" errors lately. Any one else? Nothing changed on my connection speed, still a rock solid 100down/25up :/

I keep getting an "unable to connect" type error when attempting to do Remote Play over the internet. Doesn't matter where I am, it gets to "Checking Connection Environment..." and then fails after a few minutes.

Any suggestions? My upload speed isn't great, it's between 1-2 Mbps. Is that too slow for RP over the internet?

DieH@rd

Banned
I keep getting an "unable to connect" type error when attempting to do Remote Play over the internet. Doesn't matter where I am, it gets to "Checking Connection Environment..." and then fails after a few minutes.

Any suggestions? My upload speed isn't great, it's between 1-2 Mbps. Is that too slow for RP over the internet?

Yes, too slow. You need at least 4, 5 is even better [several gaffers with 5 had no problems].

Me too. And it's getting annoying. I'm not sure what to do anymore

Yes, too slow. You need at least 4, 5 is even better [several gaffers with 5 had no problems].
Well, fuck me then. Guess I need to see what I can do to improve that. I don't have a lot of hope though, I have Uverse. The frustrating thing is, given that I suspected this was the issue, I can't find many American ISPs that offer high upstream speeds. Or, at least, that advertise what they are for each plan.

Port forwarding ?

It's obvious as hell but it's worth a shot

You can't connect to Vita via WiFi at all if "Connect Directly to PS Vita" is checked within the PS4's Vita Connection Settings.

RoKKeR

Trying to remote play from my grandparents house right now and I can't get a connection. PS4 is in standby mode at home, not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Have the WiFi thing off in the Vita settings, turned on that remote play setting over the internet in the PS4 settings, just not sure.

Upload is 1.4 here though which looks like it's too slow?

I had the same issue and this solved it for me

1) making sure your PS4/Vita aren't using wifi on the same channel as your router
2) making sure 'use WiFi in Power Save Mode' in your Vita's settings is disabled
Thanks man I'll try that once I get back home. Although my PS4 is hard wired into my router so it doesn't use a channel per se. But I'll try changing my vita's wifi channel and see if that helps a bit.

Darkone

Trying to remote play from my grandparents house right now and I can't get a connection. PS4 is in standby mode at home, not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Have the WiFi thing off in the Vita settings, turned on that remote play setting over the internet in the PS4 settings, just not sure.

Upload is 1.4 here though which looks like it's too slow?

Having the same problem, cannot connect to the PS4 threw the internet.
The PS4 is in Standby mode and it cannot connect.

I got in-house RP working finally. At first, it would run only for a few minutes before crapping out. I'll work on getting online from work and friends' houses working next.

That said, I wasn't super impressed. It runs, yeah, and at a greater distance than the Wii U, sure. But the end of a level on Resogun is a really impressive sight on my TV. Really gorgeous. On the Vita, it is really bland. The rear touch pad was actually pretty functional for what I needed though, but obviously not preferable.

Will be absolutely wonderful for grinding on PS4 RPGs. Between RP and the Gamepad, Gen 8 is the perfect time for JRPGs to make their way back to consoles.

Not sure if people from the UK know but Remote Play will not work via a BT Home Hub router. It never has worked during PS3 era and still doesn't. BT claim it's not their fault, however it works pretty fine with most other routers. I ended up having to buy a second router after my Cisco EA4500 didn't work with BT Sport on YouView.

But anyone in the UK saying they are having trouble with Remote Play, if you're using a BT Home Hub then you have no chance of it working outside of the home.

Hubble

Being so far away, how were the graphics? Are they the same if you remote played at home or do they worsen being so far away?

Darvan

Gaf,

I wanted to know does anyone here use Charter.net and has remote play working via the internet? I have the modem directly hooked up to the PS4 and I've been unable to connect remotely it just states it can't find it after awhile. At home using the vita of course it finds it just fine and thoughts or help would be most welcome thanks.

Turn off vita power saving modes, and check with mobile phone if your home has WiFi channel interferance. You can easily move Vita WiFi module to another channel. Info is in OP.

Changed the Vita Adhoc channel to 6 while the router was on 1, so far "touch wood" it's working.
Thanks.

Guess i'm screwed as far as Internet RP goes, I have a BT Homehub.

Not sure if people from the UK know but Remote Play will not work via a BT Home Hub router. It never has worked during PS3 era and still doesn't. BT claim it's not their fault, however it works pretty fine with most other routers. I ended up having to buy a second router after my Cisco EA4500 didn't work with BT Sport on YouView.

But anyone in the UK saying they are having trouble with Remote Play, if you're using a BT Home Hub then you have no chance of it working outside of the home.

Wait I'm confused. So I have home hub and can play via direct or local wifi without any problems. Surely the second would present an issue? I can't use the wifi outside of the house but I imagine my 200kbps upload speed is the reason for that. (And yes, thats the best upload speed on the market in my area)

Anyone have a problem with this wherein they can't turn on the PS4 using the Remote Play option on their Vita? Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Scenario #1: I'm at home. Direct Connect is enabled.
-My PS4 is in Standby.
-I hit Remote Play on my Vita.
-It finds my PS4.
-It finds my PS4 and it checks the environment.
-It goes to "Turning on PS4."
-It never moves beyond this point. It cycles until it times out.
*I've checked all the appropriate settings, most importantly the option to allow the PS4 to be turned from Remote Play while in Standby. This has been checked.
*The additional rub: If I instead select "Second Screen" rather than "Remote Play" the system immediately turns on from Standby. From here, I can easily connect and use Remote Play.

Scenario #2: I'm at home over wifi, or away. (Direct Connect is not enabled in the Home scenario.)
-My PS4 is in Standby.
-I hit Remote Play on my Vita. (Or Second Screen for that matter.)
-It never finds my PS4.
*I've check all the appropriate settings. I have not dug into the notion of port forwarding, however, given my prior problem, (And the fact that second screen won't work without a Direct Connection from what I can tell) I can find no way to turn on my PS4 remotely.

The scenario makes playing using my Vita unusable outside of sitting on my couch. It's not often I'd like to use it outside my apartment, however, the feature seems far more excited in the other scenario. Thoughts or suggests would be great!

melman101

Anyone have a problem with this wherein they can't turn on the PS4 using the Remote Play option on their Vita? Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Once it turns on, can you then connect?

Have you tried restoring the system software from scratch? That would be my suggestion.

Top Bottom