• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Microsoft has laid off their DEI team, shutting down diversity division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinfulgore

You are being duped. I can't find current numbers visualized like this,but Black people make up mostly the bulk of players,they are overrepresented in any other aspect of the NBA business.

How am I being duped when what I said was true? Being an owner of a football team is very different than being a player but I'm glad you brought up the owners because you are illustrating exactly what DEI is really about. At its core DEI is about validation for insecure people. Usually, people will bring up the number of owners compared to players because they see more value in the owners than the players. It's the same reason why feminists care about more women in STEM but not in construction. They are looking for validation and they won't get that by having more women in construction because they don't value that. Gaming is no different, the CEO of Sweet Baby Inc even said that she wants to see more diversity and inclusion in the AAA gaming space because again this is about feeling validated and you won't feel validated if some small indie devs make diverse games. It's sad so many people in modern society are so insecure and base their value on how they think society sees them but this a problem social media has created.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What? Black people make up around 13% of the US population but represent around 70% of all NBA players. It's not discrimination, people are just different and have different interests and values which will lead them to different outcomes. People who focus so much on representation treat people like they're robots who all think and act the same and therefore should all have similar outcomes based on population size. That isn't how the real world works.
Yeah it’s just asinine to have as your ideal that every profession should have a perfect distribution of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc that matches that of the general population.

If that’s your goal, you will never achieve it, and you will blow endless amounts of other people’s money trying to bring utopia with all sorts of idiotic “cures” that are worse than the disease. Get real.

People come from different cultures, they have different values, different interests, different proclivities. The only sane thing to do is to treat people as individuals.

It’s honestly kind of disgusting that that even needs to be said in 2024. Never thought I’d see folks on the left seriously trying to convince us that we should treat people differently and hold people to different standards based on their race or anything else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How am I being duped when what I said was true? Being an owner of a football team is very different than being a player but I'm glad you brought up the owners because you are illustrating exactly what DEI is really about. At its core DEI is about validation for insecure people. Usually, people will bring up the number of owners compared to players because they see more value in the owners than the players. It's the same reason why feminists care about more women in STEM but not in construction. They are looking for validation and they won't get that by having more women in construction because they don't value that. Gaming is no different, the CEO of Sweet Baby Inc even said that she wants to see more diversity and inclusion in the AAA gaming space because again this is about feeling validated and you won't feel validated if some small indie devs make diverse games. It's sad so many people in modern society are so insecure and base their value on how they think society sees them but this a problem social media has created.
Yeah it’s just asinine to have as your ideal that every profession should have a perfect distribution of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc that matches that of the general population.

If that’s your goal, you will never achieve it, and you will blow endless amounts of other people’s money trying to bring utopia with all sorts of idiotic “cures” that are worse than the disease. Get real.

People come from different cultures, they have different values, different interests, different proclivities. The only sane thing to do is to treat people as individuals.

It’s honestly kind of disgusting that that even needs to be said in 2024. Never thought I’d see folks on the left seriously trying to convince us that we should treat people differently and hold people to different standards based on their race or anything else.
DEI Wokey: Respect people's gender, politics, backgrounds, interests etc.... People are different.

Society: Fair enough. It already happens. People do what they want, have different interests and cultures and that leads to tons of variety in people across the country. You can see the results in gov census survey results every 5 years.

DEI Wokey: But I want it in such a way that everyone is different, but certain people get overespresented in good jobs and pay. Not the shitty jobs. Dont care about those. Just the good white collar office jobs.

Figure that one out folks.

Last edited:

Sinfulgore

DEI Wokey: Respect people's gender, politics, backgrounds, interests etc.... People are different.

Society: Fair enough. It already happens. People do what they want, have different interests and cultures and that leads to tons of variety in people across the country. You can see the results in gov census survey results every 5 years.

DEI Wokey: But I want it in such a way that everyone is different, but certain people get overespresented in good jobs and pay. Not the shitty jobs. Dont care about those. Just the good white collar office jobs.

Figure that one out folks.
The problem is that so many people's beliefs now are driven by emotion and not logic.

Humdinger

Tagging onto that secret service mishap was some politician dude on TV who said the other day something like (paraphrased)..... "well, if I need to get surgery, I want qualified surgeons in the hospital who can do it, not a quota hire. So why doesnt that apply here?"

I like how Douglas Murray put it: "You don't need 30% women. You just need 100% the best. That's all. If in some jobs that means it's mostly men, that's fine. And if in others it's mainly women, that's fine. Just the best. Nothing else."

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Because they Black players are the "grunts" of the business while simultaneously being the growth of the sports. There are other sectors of basketball where the Black players can't ensure other Black people will be there unless they have a good relationship with higher-ups who are willing to work with them.

Sinfulgore

Because they Black players are the "grunts" of the business while simultaneously being the growth of the sports. There are other sectors of basketball where the Black players can't ensure other Black people will be there unless they have a good relationship with higher-ups who are willing to work with them.
This is false, the players in a sport are everything. The players are the ones fans pay to see, they are the ones fans buy jerseys for, and they are the ones the fans care about it. Labeling them "grunts" is ridiculous but like I said earlier this all goes back to validation. You think the owners are more valuable than the players and therefore think representation is more important among the owners. Why do you think owners are more valuable than the players?

I'll be honest with you, I don't follow basketball so I have no idea what you mean when you say "Black Players can't ensure Black people will be there". Ensure black people will be where? Added to their team? Owners? Not sure what you are talking about here.

I'm curious what exactly is all this supposed to accomplish? Let's say 50% of the owners of NFL teams are black, what exactly would that do for the NFL?

Three

And so it begins.
Nothing is really beginning

"Our D&I commitments remain unchanged," a Microsoft spokesperson, Jeff Jones, said in a statement. "Our focus on diversity and inclusion is unwavering and we are holding firm on our expectations, prioritizing accountability, and continuing to focus on this work."

People are treating cost cutting like some revolution is occurring. Has the benefit of overshadowing other news for those who are easily distracted with this sort of thing.

shamoomoo

This is false, the players in a sport are everything. The players are the ones fans pay to see, they are the ones fans buy jerseys for, and they are the ones the fans care about it. Labeling them "grunts" is ridiculous but like I said earlier this all goes back to validation. You think the owners are more valuable than the players and therefore think representation is more important among the owners. Why do you think owners are more valuable than the players?

I'll be honest with you, I don't follow basketball so I have no idea what you mean when you say "Black Players can't ensure Black people will be there". Ensure black people will be where? Added to their team? Owners? Not sure what you are talking about here.

I'm curious what exactly is all this supposed to accomplish? Let's say 50% of the owners of NFL teams are black, what exactly would that do for the NFL?
I'm a super duper casual when it comes to sports but I'll watch highlights every know and then.

I have to switch it to a different sport to better illustrate why being the major without any power is meaningless.

This article is about the NFL and something called "race morning" and how Black players were being screwed out of compensation for the damage they received as professional athletes. To loop this back around to my usage of "grunts" is the Black players are the most physically active people in the business of basketball and they aren't paid as well as the owner nor can the ensure regular Black people can partake in other aspects of basketball.

chalabi-sports-diversity-nfl2.png

A snippet from NPR about race norming and the NFL, remember,the Black players are 50% of the total players by race:

The league had agreed in June, amid the uproar, to halt the use of race-norming, which assumes Black players start with lower cognitive function. That makes it harder to show they suffer from a mental deficit linked to their playing days.

The NFL would admit no wrongdoing under terms of the agreement.

Lawyers for the Black players suspect that white men were qualifying for awards at two or three times the rate of Blacks since the payouts began in 2017.

Last edited:
Nothing is really beginning

"Our D&I commitments remain unchanged," a Microsoft spokesperson, Jeff Jones, said in a statement. "Our focus on diversity and inclusion is unwavering and we are holding firm on our expectations, prioritizing accountability, and continuing to focus on this work."

People are treating cost cutting like some revolution is occurring. Has the benefit of overshadowing other news for those who are easily distracted with this sort of thing.
Actions speak louder than words

Sinfulgore

I'm a super duper casual when it comes to sports but I'll watch highlights every know and then.

I have to switch it to a different sport to better illustrate why being the major without any power is meaningless.

This article is about the NFL and something called "race morning" and how Black players were being screwed out of compensation for the damage they received as professional athletes. To loop this back around to my usage of "grunts" is the Black players are the most physically active people in the business of basketball and they aren't paid as well as the owner nor can the ensure regular Black people can partake in other aspects of basketba

A snippet from NPR about race norming and the NFL, remember,the Black players are 50% of the total players by race:

The league had agreed in June, amid the uproar, to halt the use of race-norming, which assumes Black players start with lower cognitive function. That makes it harder to show they suffer from a mental deficit linked to their playing days.

The NFL would admit no wrongdoing under terms of the agreement.

Lawyers for the Black players suspect that white men were qualifying for awards at two or three times the rate of Blacks since the payouts began in 2017.
You didn't answer my questions. I didn't read that NPR article because I don't care what NPR says, I want to know what you think. You claim "being the major without any power is meaningless", what does that even mean? Are you suggesting that being a player who makes millions of dollars and has millions of fans is meaningless because you don't have the power to change the color of your jerseys or your team name like an owner would?

shamoomoo

You didn't answer my questions. I didn't read that NPR article because I don't care what NPR says, I want to know what you think. You claim "being the major without any power is meaningless", what does that even mean? Are you suggesting that being a player who makes millions of dollars and has millions of fans is meaningless because you don't have the power to change the color of your jerseys or your team name like an owner would?
Come on, you are purposely being obtuse.

You brung up the NBA being predominantly Black,I pointed out that didn't amount to much because Black players don't have any other control on the business of professional basketball. They aren't owners to any degree despite being the reason people watch in the first place,they don't make up 50%+ of the coaches, though the are 50%+ of the players and Black folks don't even constitute 50% of the employees at the stadiums.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

You brung up the NBA being predominantly Black,I pointed out that didn't amount to much because Black players don't have any other control on the business of professional basketball. They aren't owners to any degree despite being the reason people watch in the first place,they don't make up 50%+ of the coaches, though the are 50%+ of the players and Black folks don't even constitute 50% of the employees at the stadiums.
They're 13% of the population. Why would they constitute 50% of ownership or employees?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because Black people make up the bulk of the players and there shouldn't be reason why their numbers are overrepresented as just the player.
If 70% of players are Black despite 13% of the population, sounds pretty racist to me.

Maybe more coaches and owners are white because they got better qualifications and giant bank accounts. Similar to 70% of players being Black because they got the talent.

Dont be a racial ratio warrior Shamoomoo. It never looks good.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

If 70% of players are Black despite 13% of the population, sounds pretty racist to me.

Maybe more coaches and owners are white because they got better qualifications and giant bank accounts. Similar to 70% of players being Black because they got the talent.

Dont be a racial ratio warrior Shamoomoo. It never looks good.
That doesn't make any sense,the majority of the people doing the hiring would be white. So, Black player are gifted enough to play basketball but not gifted enough to manage any other aspect of baseball? Sounds delusional to me.🥴🥴🥴🥴

That doesn't make any sense,the majority of the people doing the hiring would be white. So, Black player are gifted enough to play basketball but not gifted enough to manage any other aspect of baseball? Sounds delusional to me.🥴🥴🥴🥴

Different skills. Playing a professional sport has nothing to do with managerial aspects or office work. How is that related???

I cant believe this needs explanation.

Sinfulgore

I'm not, I am honestly trying to understand the way someone like you thinks and the only way I can do that is if you clearly and directly explain why you think the way you do. Earlier you said this, "Ideally, each group should have their population size numbers represent ownership or influence with regards to land, businesses or whatever in a given country". Why is this your ideal? What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? Women make up about 50% of the population in the US, so ideally you think they should make up around 50% of all US game devs?

shamoomoo

I'm not, I am honestly trying to understand the way someone like you thinks and the only way I can do that is if you clearly and directly explain why you think the way you do. Earlier you said this, "Ideally, each group should have their population size numbers represent ownership or influence with regards to land, businesses or whatever in a given country". Why is this your ideal? What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? Women make up about 50% of the population in the US, so ideally you think they should make up around 50% of all US game devs?
You are making stuff up. I don't know any demographic of any game studio,so which company has a staff where women are 50% of the staff? Also, you would still have to break down the demographic with regards to race.

If a given group owns enough of the U.S relative to their total percentage of the people here then it everything should be proportional to other populations.

Sinfulgore

You are making stuff up. I don't know any demographic of any game studio,so which company has a staff where women are 50% of the staff? Also, you would still have to break down the demographic with regards to race.

If a given group owns enough of the U.S relative to their total percentage of the people here then it everything should be proportional to other populations.
What am I making up? Did you not say that quote? Why can't you just answer a question? You must be trolling or maybe English isn't your first language.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe some cultures should put a little more effort into management and wealth creation. If you do, more management options pop up, and with piles of money you can buy anything. Sports teams and corporation sell all the time, just bring the biggest bag of money and you’ll win.

Not hard to understand.

shamoomoo

What does that have to do with ownership and concession workers? The best person should get the job. Skin color is irrelevant.
What does that have to do with ownership and concession workers? The best person should get the job. Skin color is irrelevant.

chalabi-sports-diversity-nba1.png

Are you blind? Though out of date, going by this chart,each group number does not make sense.

White make up fewer players vs the Black population but are overrepresented in everything else, you are implying Black people are stupid. Heck, Asian have almost as many people as the Black demographic despite not exist anywhere on the chart, even Hispanic are a 1/3 of the Black league office staff while being appropriately proportionate to their NBA population.

shamoomoo

What am I making up? Did you not say that quote? Why can't you just answer a question? You must be trolling or maybe English isn't your first language.
Because you are purposefully being obtuse,men already made up 50%+ of people making games at some point, I doubt it's an even split now. Your comparison made no sense, I'm not sure how many women/girls like video games vs men/boys but women developers should be proportional to their interest with regards to game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Shamoomoo.

You keep griping black people have low rates of ownership.

Easy solution. Bring the most money and buy people out. Steve balmer and mark Cuban did. Where ls your proof rich black guys with big coffers are purposely being declined ownership for a white guy offering less money?

Some sports teams have been around for generations (family owned). If they don’t want to sell them too bad. It’s stay with that family for another generation.

Asians and Hispanic’s are doing something right. Almost no roster players or coaches in your charts but still enough skills to get league office jobs.

Use your head, not ignorance.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Shamoomoo.

You keep griping black people have low rates of ownership.

Easy solution. Bring the most money and buy people out. Steve balmer and mark Cuban did. Where ls your proof rich black guys with big coffers are purposely being declined ownership for a white guy offering less money?

Some sports teams have been around for generations (family owned). If they don’t want to sell them too bad. It’s stay with that family for another generation.

Asians and Hispanic’s are doing something right. Almost no roster players or coaches in your charts but still enough skills to get league office jobs.

Use your head, not ignorance.
Because they don't exist. If I recall correctly,Dippy try to buy a basket team with a couple of other Black guys.

Sinfulgore

Because you are purposefully being obtuse,men already made up 50%+ of people making games at some point, I doubt it's an even split now. Your comparison made no sense, I'm not sure how many women/girls like video games vs men/boys but women developers should be proportional to their interest with regards to game.
No, I'm asking questions you refuse to answer because you have no answer to them. You made a stupid claim and are trying to weasel your way out of it by not acknowledging it. I literally asked you 3 questions and your response was "Your making stuff up". How does that make any sense?

Are you blind? Though out of date, going by this chart,each group number does not make sense.

White make up fewer players vs the Black population but are overrepresented in everything else, you are implying Black people are stupid. Heck, Asian have almost as many people as the Black demographic despite not exist anywhere on the chart, even Hispanic are a 1/3 of the Black league office staff while being appropriately proportionate to their NBA population.
The demographics of the players don't determine who can become a head coach, majority owner, or league office staff. Anyone in the United States can become a League office Staff for example so if most people in the US are white it makes sense most people who work for a sports league in the US would be white. The numbers make perfect sense, the problem is that you are looking at the numbers wrong.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because they don't exist. If I recall correctly,Dippy try to buy a basket team with a couple of other Black guys.
Your problem is you look at things skin deep. A bigoted view.

Your view that more black players should have more % of other team jobs is the same as me saying more Asians and hispanics with desk jobs should be players. And a 70% skew of a 13% is insanely skewed and can be chopped down about 50 pts.

If you want more black people in more coaching, owner and office jobs, then prove to the team theyvare great coaches, got the biggest bag of money to buy out any owner, and got sales, marketing and finance skills to win office jobs.

The avg athlete in nba and nfl which you bring up in charts are dumb as rocks, ghetto and many go broke after their millions of career earnings are wasted.why would any board of directors for a team want this in management, ownership or general office jobs?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

This is insanely illogical. You think everything has to be represented by population size except the players? There are a near infinite number of variable impacting these statistics.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is insanely illogical. You think everything has to be represented by population size except the players? There are a near infinite number of variable impacting these statistics.
Mathematically doesn’t even make either.

Googling a handful of teams like Celtic, lakers, packers and bills, nba teams have about 400 office staff and nfl teams around 700-1000.

Even if all the black players shifted to office jobs and kick out other ethnic backgrounds, the % wouldn’t even go up that much. An nba team is 15 players. NFL team around 50. Even if you assume 100% of players are black and swapped into an office staff job it wouldn’t come close to player %.

To even remotely close to the black player %, a team would have to purposely transfer all black players to the office, purposely fire 300-400 non-black employees and replace them with all new black hires. Then you’ll get to 70-80% ratios.

Last edited:
Just because they are ostensibly shutting down their DEI team doesn’t necessarily translate into no more DEI in their entertainment. Unless we actually see less emphasis on DEI, this probably won’t matter. We’ll have to wait and see what happens. Then again, somehow First Descendant came out on the XBox after the “no attractive, curvy women” rule came out, so that could be a start of something changing at Microsoft perhaps?

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Oh,please! Just give a few examples for why that chart looks they way it does. Also, Black player were already being discriminated against before they became the bulk of the population.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Oh,please! Just give a few examples for why that chart looks they way it does. Also, Black player were already being discriminated against before they became the bulk of the population.
U think athletes on avg are good with managing money? they often come from poverty and lack skill like that, thats why they got talent/skills for playing but usually(ofc there are exceptions but we talking avg) they lose big parts if not all of their wealth after end of carrier, and their skin colour doesnt matter here, not even type of sports matter, here in europe soccer(football) players are mostly white and its same thing- most of them end up not rich or straight up poor only 10 years after they end their carrier while making humongous money while still playing- their lifestyle simply burns cash and after they end playing they keep such lifestyle.

Here, its explained well in that article, tldr all the character traits that make pro atheletes reach top very often make them bad with money https://www.abi.org/feed-item/how-athletes-go-bankrupt-at-an-alarming-rate
Another article with explanation https://www.vermillionfinancial.com/social/challenges-pro-athletes-face-money/

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
But if you take colour out of the stats, and just use 'player' as the qualifier the correlation is the same. You're sub dividing the data on meaningless stats. You could do the same on US/Non-US players probably, or left/right handed players.

It's like saying why are professional soccer players outnumbered by coaches who have little top level playing experience. Or why don't soccer players own their own clubs.

Other examples are F1 and/or tennis. There is a class divide in those sports between white wealth and white working class. But you are only looking at skin colour.

Boxers like Usyk and Fury are both 'white' but have as difference a background as you can imagine in terms of privilege.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Other examples are F1 and/or tennis. There is a class divide in those sports between white wealth and white working class. But you are only looking at skin colour.
Thats usually how it is- ppl who wanna divide others from skin color or sex(fk gender ideology) pov usually wanna hide their true intentions- what really matters and always mattered the most is if persons background was wealthy or poor, u can see it very well in todays world- white as snow ppl from poor hoods(know plenty in mine, i live in eastern europe, some ppl literally check garbage, like my neighbour from 2 floors above me) vs black as night son/daughter of rich company owner in the US- their life experience and overall struggle cant be comparable, and its not coz of skin colour, its coz of amount of wealth.

Do those bilionare mofos suffer or have any life struggless? Wealth matters, not ur skin colour.

shamoomoo

U think athletes on avg are good with managing money? they often come from poverty and lack skill like that, thats why they got talent/skills for playing but usually(ofc there are exceptions but we talking avg) they lose big parts if not all of their wealth after end of carrier, and their skin colour doesnt matter here, not even type of sports matter, here in europe soccer(football) players are mostly white and its same thing- most of them end up not rich or straight up poor only 10 years after they end their carrier while making humongous money while still playing- their lifestyle simply burns cash and after they end playing they keep such lifestyle.

Here, its explained well in that article, tldr all the character traits that make pro atheletes reach top very often make them bad with money https://www.abi.org/feed-item/how-athletes-go-bankrupt-at-an-alarming-rate
Another article with explanation https://www.vermillionfinancial.com/social/challenges-pro-athletes-face-money/
Lol! Are the majority of the soccer coaches Black in Europe? Or the players? Excluding fully Black or almost all Black nations,why aren't there sports where the staff, coaches and everybody else are mostly Black? If race doesn't play a factor in this wonky demographics,there should exist country where the sports team incidental staff and owners are Blacks or other and these nations are majority Black.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Lol! Are the majority of the soccer coaches Black in Europe? Or the players? Excluding fully Black or almost all Black nations,why aren't there sports where the staff, coaches and everybody else are mostly Black? If race doesn't play a factor in this wonky demographics,there should exist country where the sports team incidental staff and owners are Blacks or other and these nations are majority Black.
Bro u keep coming back to race, are u some hitler descendand who only portrays ppl on behalf of their race or something, srsly? Humans value/identity isnt about their race, or at least thats what majority of the world thinks and believes in- the ppl who arent racists fucks :)

To get back to topic- professional sports arent charity, ppl work there on the base of merit, thats it, if some1 doesnt perform they get fired(yes even before their contract time is up too, very common practice here with coaches, dunno how it is in the US but i guess not that different).

My country's national soccer team had few foreign coaches last few years, including 2 portugese guys, that look like this
paulo sousa
paulo-sousa.webp

and another- fernando santos
https%3A%2F%2Fcloudfront-us-east-2.images.arcpublishing.com%2Freuters%2FHTQQ5Q2E5RLM3HEF5YAZBPF7WM.jpg

And my country-poland- is like 99,9% white, no1 cared they are latinos, we only wanted/needed good performance(which we didnt get but its fault of our players for the most part :p )
TLDR- real life/professional sports dont give u freebies for whatever race- u need to perform or u are fked- all that woke agenda ppl teach in leftists colleges/u hear in woke bubble media goes down the drain coz it is simply not real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom