• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Microsoft has laid off their DEI team, shutting down diversity division

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDRZA MWS

tbh, you'll likely see that as many of you don't even know why any artist did that anyway, so its not like MS will attack artist and demand them to change their designs or something.

So if they continue to make woman look the way they feel like it, was it "DEI"?

If they continue, doesn't that mean this whole "DEI Team" had nothing to do with that?

If they continue, does it mean they are secretly still doing the whole DEI thing? lol

Thats what makes this so funny, folks will just attack them either way. Someone's subjective opinion over what someone looks like is just not enough to build a whole ass conspiracy from, it matters not what they do with this team btw
DEI is not a subjective opinion, you can literally feel and cringe at characters that don’t fit for whatever reason, just cuz, you know, “inclusion”. Yeah im blocking you.

BlackTron

DEI is not a subjective opinion, you can literally feel and cringe at characters that don’t fit for whatever reason, just cuz, you know, “inclusion”. Yeah im blocking you.

He comes off as someone in a land of complete head theory who hasn't played many games or barely experienced media in a decade. His views certainly appear to make sense if you were living under a rock.

BlackTron

DEI, woke, CRT, someone give me a heads up on the next "we hate black people where we think they don't belong" buzzword so I can stay ahead of the curve here.

It's more "we hate a veritable rainbow of attributes shoved down our throats while they expect some sort of medal of game design for it"

"I have some criticisms about the number and quality of maps in this game" ==> "QUICK add a gay/black character to placate them, they love it" No time to do it? Then "Quick remind them the people who made the game game were gay/black, they love it". I wonder how people who were gay before it became fashionable feel about being some sort of instant win badge to cover up flaws and villainize any criticism. This "checklist" is more important than the checklist of things to finish the game before it comes out...which is good now that they are hiring based on skin tone instead of ability. This is a much bigger and more valid problem than being pissy just because a black dude is in a game.

To answer your question, the only buzzword there is "woke". DEI is an ideology taught in university, used and enforced in corporations, and called by that very name everywhere. If you think it's dumb, take it up with the people who came up with it. Same with CRT.

DEI, woke, CRT, someone give me a heads up on the next "we hate black people where we think they don't belong" buzzword so I can stay ahead of the curve here.

Yeah, because there weren't black or LGTB characters in the cinema and videogames decades ago. One of the most annoying things about the woke crowd is that they believe they are doing something revolutionary, whereas real diversity has been going on for a century already.

If you are too young to know firsthand, at least research a little before typing nonsense like this.

BlackTron

Yeah, because there weren't black or LGTB characters in the cinema and videogames decades ago. One of the most annoying things about the woke crowd is that they believe they are doing something revolutionary, whereas real diversity has been going on for a century already.

If you are too young to know firsthand, at least research a little before typing nonsense like this.

This.

One of the most frustrating things about it is that a lot of progress is actually being undone. There was already diversity without it being forced. Now that it is, they are sowing further division. Their lifeblood is the us vs. them mentality than can only exist by splitting groups apart and having someone to blame for the problem they have fabricated in order to be relevant.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This.

One of the most frustrating things about it is that a lot of progress is actually being undone. There was already diversity without it being forced. Now that it is, they are sowing further division. Their lifeblood is the us vs. them mentality than can only exist by splitting groups apart and having someone to blame for the problem they have fabricated in order to be relevant.
It sucks. It used to be that if there was a movie, show, game, whatever with a diverse cast, it wouldn’t affect my expectations at all. If anything it seemed kinda cool and alluring.

Nowadays if I see Strong Black Woman and ultra diverse cast in the trailer, it’s like “oh great, it’s gonna be one of THOSE movies”. Some design by committee shit where they had their activist writers and consultants make sure they portray all the minorities in the most positive, stereotype-defying, boring way possible.

And it’s going to have an army of dipshits around it casually tossing around accusations of racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia to anyone who criticizes it.

I hate it. I hate that I feel this way. I really think all the DEI shit has done far more harm than good, even for the people it’s intended to help. And it’s obviously made our entertainment far worse and lost studios a shitload of money.

Glad to see the pendulum starting to swing the other way.

Bonus: saw this on my feed this morning

shamoomoo

Bro u keep coming back to race, are u some hitler descendand who only portrays ppl on behalf of their race or something, srsly? Humans value/identity isnt about their race, or at least thats what majority of the world thinks and believes in- the ppl who arent racists fucks :)

To get back to topic- professional sports arent charity, ppl work there on the base of merit, thats it, if some1 doesnt perform they get fired(yes even before their contract time is up too, very common practice here with coaches, dunno how it is in the US but i guess not that different).

My country's national soccer team had few foreign coaches last few years, including 2 portugese guys, that look like this
paulo sousa
paulo-sousa.webp

and another- fernando santos
https%3A%2F%2Fcloudfront-us-east-2.images.arcpublishing.com%2Freuters%2FHTQQ5Q2E5RLM3HEF5YAZBPF7WM.jpg

And my country-poland- is like 99,9% white, no1 cared they are latinos, we only wanted/needed good performance(which we didnt get but its fault of our players for the most part :p )
TLDR- real life/professional sports dont give u freebies for whatever race- u need to perform or u are fked- all that woke agenda ppl teach in leftists colleges/u hear in woke bubble media goes down the drain coz it is simply not real.
So one group of white people helping another group of white people? I get folks will have ethnic problems but that's not that weird. Show me where non-whites are being hired in prominent positions in greater numbers over the native people in your country?

And merit doesn't mean much if one group can outcompete another and use their social advantage to stall competition ,that was part of the problem in the Asian admission scandal at top ranking colleges, where certain percentage of Asians students weren't being admitted to these high-end colleges while being academically being fit for selection.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So one group of white people helping another group of white people? I get folks will have ethnic problems but that's not that weird. Show me where non-whites are being hired in prominent positions in greater numbers over the native people in your country?

And merit doesn't mean much if one group can outcompete another and use their social advantage to stall competition ,that was part of the problem in the Asian admission scandal at top ranking colleges, where certain percentage of Asians students weren't being admitted to these high-end colleges while being academically being fit for selection.
In the US, Asians always outpace every other racial background in jobs, earning power and management jobs. And lots of them are foreigners where they can barely speak english. Yet they still outpace locals.

It's not hard to get a decent job. You just got to put in some effort and dont be a high school numbnut.

Play with the chart and axis points.

Last edited:
Many great takes in this thread...

Its true, inclusion and diversity have existed in entertainment from almost the beginning. The thing is, us consumers weren't being bashed over the head with it. In example, many characters were thought to be 'gay' or could be perceived thusly. It was never stated, nor did it need to be. That's the thing with all this modern virtue signalling, there is no longer any room for interpretation. It has to be explicit, overt and on the nose or there is no virtue to be gained from it. That is the very definition of pandering.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Many great takes in this thread...

Its true, inclusion and diversity have existed in entertainment from almost the beginning. The thing is, us consumers weren't being bashed over the head with it. In example, many characters were thought to be 'gay' or could be perceived thusly. It was never stated, nor did it need to be. That's the thing with all this modern virtue signalling, there is no longer any room for interpretation. It has to be explicit, overt and on the nose or there is no virtue to be gained from it. That is the very definition of pandering.
YL3GPOiDcNraIJOVDCZsoOBoDy.jpg

First fucking Predator, with Arnie, diverse af but it actually made sense, they didnt let in bunch of diseabled lesbiasns with halv shaved-half blue hair into the jungle, and those actors performed extremly well, no woke agenda pushing, pure quality as top priority, movie is from 1987 btw with 15m usd budget, a classic ofc :p

Last edited:
If we are going purely by population, I actually think we’re reaching a point where Black people are way over represented in games, TV shows, and movies. They are just 13% of the population, yet much more than that in games especially. But somehow there is still outcry it isn’t enough. If anything, I feel that Latinos are the ones who have the right to complain. They have a larger population than Black people in the U.S. but are represented MUCH less in media. Yet they don’t seem to be complaining?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
YL3GPOiDcNraIJOVDCZsoOBoDy.jpg

First fucking Predator, with Arnie, diverse af but it actually made sense, they didnt let in bunch of diseabled lesbiasns with halv shaved-half blue hair into the jungle, and those actors performed extremly well, no woke agenda pushing, pure quality as top priority, movie is from 1987 btw with 15m usd budget, a classic ofc :p
Haha. That reminds me. On my streaming bx, there's an Arnie channel. It has I think every movie there running one after another EXCEPT some reason Predator isn't there. lol. Fuck, and thats one of his best movies!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
In the US, Asians always outpace every other racial background in jobs, earning power and management jobs. And lots of them are foreigners where they can barely speak english. Yet they still outpace locals.

It's not hard to get a decent job. You just got to put in some effort and dont be a high school numbnut.

Play with the chart and axis points.

I work in a tech job (not gaming) and Asians, other immigrants, and children of immigrants are so over-represented in my industry (by that I don’t mean “too many of them”, just that the proportion is way greater than the general population).

I’d estimate that at least 50% of our engineering employees are non-white and/or didn’t learn English as their first language. Probably the most over-represented group is Indian women. And it’s been that way since way before the obsession with DEI policies.

Know why? It’s because they came from cultures that value education, and families that pushed them hard and had high expectations for their kids. Not because of white privilege, or diversity hiring, or any other kind of racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom