• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

-Winnie-

There's no option to extend the Kickstarter for like a week? The final push is going strong, if only they had that momentum from the beginning.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As I said in a different post - the vids we ran alongside the announcement were shot 2 weeks prior. So...

Why would you release major news about your game like you are trying to build up fake hype up to a launch like ubi/ea releasing a teaser of a teaser of a 30 sec trailer if you retweet or like something on facebook.

The hale/hayder/pc announcements being much earlier would have made the difference.

Also KeepHopeAlive sounds rather gross for videogame funding. It sounds like a slogan for saving someone's life not saving a games budget.

How can this KS fail?

It only features the support of gaming luminaries like

"GARNETT LEE
JEFF CANNATTA
JOHN RICCARDI
MARK MACDONALD
BILLY THE HAMMER
WARIO64"

they should actually put that on there.

next thing we know all of Payton's friend in the videogames industry are going to record a version of "we are the world", all earnings going straight to Republique.
Looking forward to Garnett's vocal solo

and this.

Also KeepHopeAlive sounds rather gross for videogame funding. It sounds like a slogan for saving someone's life not saving a games budget.

KeepHopeAlive is also the game pretty much.

btw I should say ...
I backed this pages ago.

Mario007

I actually hope this fails and not because I wouldn't like for this game to be made or because I would wish ill to the people behind it, but because the game is gonna get made anyway so this is just like giving them a nice present of half a million dollars.

mclem

I actually hope this fails and not because I wouldn't like for this game to be made or because I would wish ill to the people behind it, but because the game is gonna get made anyway so this is just like giving them a nice present of half a million dollars.

That's... not how financing works.

Massa

The game will be made either way. Using kickstarter this way seems a bit disgenuine to the purpose of kickstarter itself.

A game might have been made, but not exactly this one. For starters this game wouldn't have a PC/Mac version if it wasn't for Kickstarter.

The purpose of Kickstarter is to eliminate the middle man between creators and consumers, allowing people with unique ideas to find an audience to support them. This seems like a perfectly valid use of it.

Jonnyram

The game will be made either way. Using kickstarter this way seems a bit disgenuine to the purpose of kickstarter itself.
lololololol

You think you are just giving them a gift when you pledge using kickstarter?
Most of the prices are extremely reasonable for what you get. They are basically game price, LE price, super LE price, etc. Only the high tiers are investor/ego-level pledges.

Mario007

lololololol

You think you are just giving them a gift when you pledge using kickstarter?
Most of the prices are extremely reasonable for what you get. They are basically game price, LE price, super LE price, etc. Only the high tiers are investor/ego-level pledges.

You're missing the point. They're using Kickstarter, a mechanism designed to get projects that otherwise wouldn't get funded going, to fund a game that is going to get funded either way. That, in itself, makes me want them to fail the kickstarter.

You're missing the point. They're using Kickstarter, a mechanism designed to get projects that otherwise wouldn't get funded going, to fund a game that is going to get funded either way. That, in itself, makes me want them to fail the kickstarter.

you have no idea how creative control is a HUGE thing when you put your heart and soul in a product. It's a huge thing for Ryan and you have to understand why: He left 343 industries because of that, His ideas for Halo 4 were probably being shot down all the time.

mclem

You're missing the point: Republique funded by publishers would be a different game to Republique funded by Kickstarter. The Kickstarter version of the game would *not* 'get funded either way'.

A dev wants to make a game.
A publisher wants to make a profit.

volturnus

Banned
you have no idea how creative control is a HUGE thing when you put your heart and soul in a product. It's a huge thing for Ryan and you have to understand why: He left 343 industries because of that, His ideas for Halo 4 were probably being shot down all the time.
Yeah, he was the only bastion of creativity at 343 and he left because they'd supress anything that wasn't mainstream. Thus, he decided tu use his experience and show his inner depths, creating a game about fighting for freedom in a society ruled by an authoritatian government, a theme totally not explored by 973625 films, in which he revolutionizes iOS (and later PC) gaming.

FFS, praise the guy and all, but this messiah bullshit is ridiculous.

border

They're using Kickstarter, a mechanism designed to get projects that otherwise wouldn't get funded going, to fund a game that is going to get funded either way.

Who says Kickstarter is only for projects that cannot find a publisher? Where is that in their manifesto? Several of the recent successes could have easily found money elsewhere. DoubeFine Adventure would have found funding.....Leisure Suit Larry was already announced and getting made.....so was Grim Dawn I believe.

Chairhome

Who says Kickstarter is only for projects that cannot find a publisher? Where is that in their manifesto? Several of the recent successes could have easily found money elsewhere. DoubeFine Adventure would have found funding.....Leisure Suit Larry was already announced and getting made.....so was Grim Dawn I believe.
Not really. That's the reason they started this "Kickstarter renaissance"

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

Well, that was so important to these guys that they changed their dream of a AAA iOS game into a multi-platform when they realized they wouldn't be funded. Don't bring artistic integrity into this when they changed on a whim from their vision to satisfy funding.. exactly what you say they'd have to do to a publisher.

Also the fact that they said they need a 1m, not 500k.. the other funding is coming from someone.

Well, that was so important to these guys that they changed their dream of a AAA iOS game into a multi-platform when they realized they wouldn't be funded. Don't bring artistic integrity into this when they changed on a whim from their vision to satisfy funding.. exactly what you say they'd have to do to a publisher.

False equivalency. They were talking about a PC version long before the Kickstarter and there's a record of that in Game Informer. Creatively it was always on the table, they bumped it off for logistical reasons and then reconsidered it due to demand.

NervousXtian

False equivalency. They were talking about a PC version long before the Kickstarter and there's a record of that in Game Informer. Creatively it was always on the table, they bumped it off for logistical reasons and then reconsidered it due to demand.

No, it's not. I don't care what they said before, read the Kickstarter. They wanted to make a ground up iOS AAA game.

Funding didn't come fast enough.

Okay.. PC/MAC then!!

...and no body stopped to say.. wait.. that's not going to cost more? not change up things a bit? not going to limit some of the things they wanted to do? Could it change the project from it's original full intent?

Not saying they can't make a fine PC/MAC game, but they already pandered to one investor (Kickstarters).. what's to say that the other half of the funding doesn't change things up even more?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
The begging for this project all across blogs, from writers and on Twitter is just sad. The whole keep Billy Berghammer employed guilt trip is just too much.

If this thing gets to the wire, I think we're going to see some real desperate pleas.

I don't wish any ill will on these guys; i hope they get to make the project of their dreams. I just hope they don't make people feel like shit for not donating.

.la1n

Not saying there isn't truth to that but I find it very hard to believe that the lack of funding didn't weigh heavier on their decision to announce a PC port. The way they have handled this whole thing has just been really sloppy.

NervousXtian

And you wonder why people keep quoting your tag.

Do you work for these guys or something?

Read the Kickstarter, I didn't write it.. they did:

Thanks to the global proliferation of iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, hundreds of millions of people are now carrying a powerful gaming device with them every day. Finally, game makers can truly speak to a global audience, an audience that – thanks to touch controls – can easily jump into the interactive experience.

iOS is becoming a great gaming platform, but where are the games for people who love intense action and story-driven experiences? Where are the AAA games designed specifically for touch-based devices? As someone who loathes virtual joysticks, I have great respect for what Chair Entertainment did with Infinity Blade: they built an action game specifically for touch devices. We aim to do the same.

Don't feed me that stuff above then change your mind and add a PC/MAC version and expect me to respect your integrity.

If they hit their funding then said, we'll do a PC/MAC version if we hit 700k or whatnot.. all good.. meaning it's a separate side project.. not this, it's all from the same pool.

..and you call me an idiot?

Not saying there isn't truth to that but I find it very hard to believe that the lack of funding didn't weigh heavier on their decision to announce a PC port. The way they have handled this whole thing has just been really sloppy.
No doubt about that. I have no idea why they decided to sit on the Hayter and Hale announcement for two weeks, for one thing.

Do you work for these guys or something?

Read the Kickstarter, I didn't write it.. they did:

Don't feed me that stuff above then change your mind and add a PC/MAC version and expect me to respect your integrity.

If they hit their funding then said, we'll do a PC/MAC version if we hit 700k or whatnot.. all good.. meaning it's a separate side project.. not this, it's all from the same pool.

..and you call me an idiot?

None of that is mutually exclusive with creating a separate PC and Mac version that is designed to suit the platform. Your premise is that they're making a new version of the game that they never wanted to, the very existence of which proves that their creative vision has been compromised. That is empirically disprovable because their very oldest public interviews talk about, surprise, a PC and Mac version that they would like to create. You're just wrong. Objectively. There is nothing to really debate here at all.

NervousXtian

You're just wrong. Objectively. There is nothing to really debate here at all.

Thanks to the global proliferation of iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, hundreds of millions of people are now carrying a powerful gaming device with them every day. Finally, game makers can truly speak to a global audience, an audience that – thanks to touch controls – can easily jump into the interactive experience.

iOS is becoming a great gaming platform, but where are the games for people who love intense action and story-driven experiences? Where are the AAA games designed specifically for touch-based devices? As someone who loathes virtual joysticks, I have great respect for what Chair Entertainment did with Infinity Blade: they built an action game specifically for touch devices. We aim to do the same.

I'm wrong? That is what they wrote in their Kickstarter. Pretty straight forward and not up to interpretation.

border

Not really. That's the reason they started this "Kickstarter renaissance"

One of the most respected adventure game designers in the world could have cobbled together a few hundred grand for a game.....either from publishers, investors, or out of their own company funds. They didn't want to put themselves at risk or have someone else demand a piece of the IP, so they went to Kickstarter. Which is fine with me, but I don't pretend that it would have been impossible to do it any other way.

numble

One of the most respected adventure game designers in the world could have cobbled together a few hundred grand for a game.....either from publishers, investors, or out of their own company funds. They didn't want to put themselves at risk or have someone else demand a piece of the IP, so they went to Kickstarter. Which is fine with me, but I don't pretend that it would have been impossible to do it any other way.
They wouldn't have cobbled over 3 million. Grim Fandango cost 3 million and was a financial failure. Psychonauts and Brutal Legend also were not successful enough financially for their publishers. Nobody was going to throw that money at them again for a point and click 2d adventure.

NervousXtian

Explain to me how that is mutually exclusive with a separate PC version that plays differently. I would love to see further mental gymnastics.

500k asked for a iOS game. 500k asked for a iOS game and a PC/MAC port.

Same money, no additional funds being asked for.

This wasn't someone adding options when funding was hit, it added it before.

So what would we have gotten different if we hit the 500k and the PC/MAC wasn't added?

Don't tell me it won't cost more to make the PC/MAC version.. it will. Something is sacrificed somewhere, or the original requested budget was overblown to begin with.

500k asked for a iOS game. 500k asked for a iOS game and a PC/MAC port.

Same money, no additional funds being asked for.

This wasn't someone adding options when funding was hit, it added it before.

So what would we have gotten different if we hit the 500k and the PC/MAC wasn't added?

Don't tell me it won't cost more to make the PC/MAC version.. it will. Something is sacrificed somewhere, or the original requested budget was overblown to begin with.

So in other words it's not mutually exclusive at all, just a question of additional venture capital, offers for which they said they have received during the course of this campaign. Thank you. Case closed.

border

2 weeks of crying because they didn't have a Mac/PC version.....now 2 weeks of crying because they DO have a Mac/PC version. Can't win.

Top Bottom