• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

They updated their KS page with a new video today with a new 7 minute long video.

They talk about some new gameplay features, and hos off prototype footage. and recap what happened during the last 4 weeks.

71 hours to go and they still have to earn roughly $207k.

border

It's gotta be over for Republique. First Kickstarter I've followed that didn't make it (or rather, won't make it). Kinda sad to watch - I wonder what they will do next?

only 41 hours to go. i guess the goal won't be met unless there's a surge in pledges.

Actually, they still have just under three full days left.

But they need to average over $69K per day to pull it off, so... still not looking good. They've at least come further than I would have expected a couple weeks ago, since I totally didn't see the Hayter/Hale boost last week coming.

Odrion

Banned
It's gotta be over for Republique. First Kickstarter I've followed that didn't make it (or rather, won't make it). Kinda sad to watch - I wonder what they will do next?

I guess this will be the beginning of the end for the Kickstarter game fad?

Sad news, this looked extremely promising.

soultron

Banned

But they need to average over $69K per day to pull it off, so... still not looking good. They've at least come further than I would have expected a couple weeks ago, since I totally didn't see the Hayter/Hale boost last week coming.

The last day is usually a period of increased pledging, from what we've seen so far. I feel like this will make it in the last few hours.

LiK

whoops, typo, lol. i mean 71

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Nope. Grim Dawn just hit its 280k funding goal with lots of time to spare despite being a new IP without any big names behind it, Jane Jenson tried an experimental "CSG" initiative and just hit her 300k goal, and Carmageddon Reincarnation has just done 65k in its first seven hours.

Lack of support for Republique != lack of support for Kickstarter projects.

I listened to the Weekend Confirmed, watched this video, and listened to other podcasts, and it seems like they are Kickstarting their ability to retain control of the IP.

Why should I put any money to that? What do I get from them owning the IP? I still get to buy the game even if no one contributes anything.

Not that I'd be too upset if the game hangs on getting this funding, but it appears that this is not the case.

EDIT: I failed to remember that the non-kickstarter money could affect the direction of this specific product and not the future of the IP. To that I say, I'm sure my video games have been designed in part by the people who are paying the bills for some time.

I mean WTF this has an all star team of dev talent and looks to be something we have never seen on iOS in terms of gameplay and production value. You think it'd be a no brainer for people to want to get on board for this but there are so many negative fucking nancies out there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Grim Dawn just hit its 280k funding goal with lots of time to spare despite being a new IP without any big names behind it, Jane Jenson tried an experimental "CSG" initiative and just hit her 300k goal, and Carmageddon Reincarnation has just done 65k in its first seven hours.

Thank you.

The last day is usually a period of increased pledging, from what we've seen so far. I feel like this will make it in the last few hours.

True, and I hope this does make it. But I've been looking at other successful gaming Kickstarters on Kicktraq, and I haven't yet seen one that made anywhere near 40% of its eventual total in the final three days.

LiK

Jane Jensen's project was also funded and there's still plenty of days left. so yea, Kickstarters are fine.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

neither of those asked for 500K though...

graywolf323

Leisure Suit Larry remake did and ended up with over 650k

Haunted

Yes, we might very well finally see the death of the long-running "500k for an iOS game" Kickstarter trend.

Kickstarter is fine, this game didn't gain the traction it needed, it's still getting made. The system is working as intended.

soultron

Banned
True, and I hope this does make it. But I've been looking at other successful gaming Kickstarters on Kicktraq, and I haven't yet seen one that made anywhere near 40% of its eventual total in the final three days.

I have a funny feeling that some friends might swoop in to save the day if they're short.

Zen

Banned
I think it goes without saying that if they'd announced it for PC and Mac first it would have made it. But the real nail in the coffin was taking so long to announce the PC and Mac version. If they'd always planned to release a PC/Mac port from the beginning, it should have been a no brainer to be able to switch gears. After all it's not like the kickstarter also came with a mandatory time table.

This project failing to meet its kick-starter goal (if indeed that does happen) is a lesson is inflexibility and a failure of approach.

EXGN

At this point it must be the platform, no? I can't think of any other reason a game this promising would fail outside of the fact it was ios exclusive for so long. Really Bummed this one probably wont make the mark.

Sean

Banned
It sounds like the game will be made no matter what, so there's not really much incentive or urgency to pledge.

I think if the $10 pledge gave you the game download and your name in the credits, they'd quickly reach their goal. I bet there's a lot of people who would pledge just for the novelty of being credited in a video game.

I listened to the Weekend Confirmed, watched this video, and listened to other podcasts, and it seems like they are Kickstarting their ability to retain control of the IP.

Why should I put any money to that? What do I get from them owning the IP? I still get to buy the game even if no one contributes anything.

Not that I'd be too upset if the game hangs on getting this funding, but it appears that this is not the case.

EDIT: I failed to remember that the non-kickstarter money could affect the direction of this specific product and not the future of the IP. To that I say, I'm sure my video games have been designed in part by the people who are paying the bills for some time.

Having money doesn't necessarily give you the ability to make good judgment calls.

First game I ever worked on was a diablo clone, very dark and moody game. The guys in upper management thought it would be cool to add a fairy to the game that would guide you, just like zelda. That shit never really made sense to me and to the rest of the team. It broke the tone of the game. That's the kind of shit decision making you don't want when you don't have creative control over the game.

I mean WTF this has an all star team of dev talent and looks to be something we have never seen on iOS in terms of gameplay and production value. You think it'd be a no brainer for people to want to get on board for this but there are so many negative fucking nancies out there.

We have seen 20 seconds of gameplay and a shit ton of promises.

soultron

Banned
I really hope this thing makes it. I feel that a lot of devs are waiting for Peyton & Co. to get funded to see if they should continue on their current AAA-ish iOS projects. Probably holding their breath.

Even if you don't want to play this particular game, only good things can come from this game coming to fruition. I'm not saying you need to fund it if you're not going to play it, but think long-term.

Republique seems to have a stalker. They compared iOS to Origin, and are all "it doesn't matter if this is something they actually want to make, as long as it makes money, it is evil".

That's what kickstarter is, especially with video games, promises.

This game actually seems further along than most of the big name (six figure funded) projects on kickstarter.

Grim Dawn is scaring people off with its pre-alpha work. Apparently people don't feel safe donating to a product that they didn't help build from the ground up.

Eusis

Sad news, this looked extremely promising.
I wonder. It may be that it'll stabilize, we had some VERY high profile Kickstarters within the last few months so I wouldn't be surprised if most of the money had gone to those first. Having a few new ones that are high profile enough in a few months will probably get a lot more support than a higher profile one launched RIGHT NOW.

Colud the creators put the money that's needed for funding? I seem to remember Fargo saying he would if his own project didn't make it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Colud the creators put the money that's needed for funding? I seem to remember Fargo saying he would if his own project didn't make it.

Well ArjanN said earlier in the thread that it's a terrible idea and there's no reason for them to cheat.

It's just the same dumb baseless accusation you see in every kickstarter thread.

It's actually a terrible idea to do that for a number of reasons. For one, if you get caught you get nothing, and ruin your reputation forever. Whereas if the kickstarter fails normally, Ryan could just start over way a goal of 400k and with the PC/Mac version + Hayter/Hale announced from the start would make that easily.

There is literally no reason for them to cheat.

that kneejerk response to the failure of this KS = death of KS projects; is wholely reactionary and silly. We all know why this KS didn't set the world on fire. They shouldn't have started this whole thing with iOS and they shouldn't have priced it at half a mill.

and by they I mean, who? and by that I mean, the largely unknown Ryan Payton and his start up camoflaj.

Jane Jenson
Grim Dawn
Carmmageddon

all have some measure of a repute.

numble

Well ArjanN said earlier in the thread that it's a terrible idea and there's no reason for them to cheat.

Honestly I don't think Kickstarter's small team is that rigorous with making sure its not friends or family members donating that they promise will be paid back (loaning instead of donating), etc.--if they cancel a $500k Kickstarter they lose $25,000 commission as well.

Analyzing it purely from a rational economic actor perspective, I think it makes sense. The funds are at $300,000. If it stays there (unlikely), it costs you $18,000 to get $273,000 of funding. If it gets to $400,000, you're paying $9000 to get $364,000.

DiscoJer

That's not allowed - what Brian Fargo did was set the money needed $100k lower that the game truly needed (900k instead of 1 million) and said that he would kick in 100k himself if it ended at 900k

That happened here - they estimate it would take 1 million to make the game, but they can raise the other 500k, so they set it at 500k

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Grim Dawn is scaring people off with its pre-alpha work. Apparently people don't feel safe donating to a product that they didn't help build from the ground up.

I think it's less about that and more about the sense of urgency that comes with a Kickstarter where the game simply won't be made if it doesn't succeed. When you have works in progress, and alpha builds, etc. a lot of people may assume that the game will get made regardless and that the developer is just looking to cash in on the Kickstarter boom to get more funds (which may or may not be put towards making the game better).

I think Grim Dawn is going to be awesome, though, so I donated.

ZoddGutts

WTF there's a Kickstarter for a new Carmageddon game? Why is there no thread for that?

ZoddGutts

doubtful, LSL met it's goal about 5 days in advance

Also Leisure Suit series has a cult following worldwide, not just in the U.S.

Heh. Also let's not forget that Leisure Suit also had a working demo of the very beginning of the game.

Top Bottom