• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure that was taken into consideration before they set their goal.

Considering how they just up and added platforms that weren't initially planned long before they reached their goal... I don't think they actually had a carefully laid out budget in regards to any potential Kickstarter money. I can only speculate, but I imagine Ryan and co. figured they could reach 500k+ with their name and pitch and just went for it. I don't believe for a second that this game's creation was ever contingent on the success of this Kickstarter, and it's the primary reason I didn't back it despite being interested in the game. With that said, I'm sure the funds will help with the development of the game in some fashion.

soultron

Banned
Considering how they just up and added platforms that weren't initially planned long before they reached their goal... I don't think they actually have a carefully laid out budget. I can only speculate, but I imagine Ryan and co. figured they could reach 500k+ with their name and pitch and just went for it. I don't believe for a second that this game's creation was ever contingent on the success of this Kickstarter, and it's the primary reason I didn't back it despite being interested in the game.

They're using Unity for the game, IIRC, which means their shouldn't be too much backbreaking work in getting the game on any platfoms that Unity supports.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah Im sure the KS tax was considered, its just something you have to do before you figure this shit out.

I think I'll be getting the iPad version, seems like its kind of the intended platform? Guess well see.

Also, for the new page, small contribution for the celebrations:

rep_fan.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They're using Unity for the game, IIRC, which means their shouldn't be too much backbreaking work in getting the game on any platfoms that Unity supports.

Perhaps not. Although they are saying they're going to make "unique" versions for Mac and PC, so there is definitely going to be some work involved. Regardless--their initial pitch was all about iOS and how they were dedicated to that platform. Unless they were just lying, none of the 500k they were asking for was initially going to go to any platform besides iOS.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
if i pitch in for the $50 "INTELLIGENTSIA EDITION" do I get a physical copy of the game along with the book? I would assume so but I just want to be sure. it's not 100% clear.

Aselith

Considering how they just up and added platforms that weren't initially planned long before they reached their goal... I don't think they actually had a carefully laid out budget in regards to any potential Kickstarter money. I can only speculate, but I imagine Ryan and co. figured they could reach 500k+ with their name and pitch and just went for it. I don't believe for a second that this game's creation was ever contingent on the success of this Kickstarter, and it's the primaryreason I didn't back it despite being interested in the game. With that said, I'm sure the funds will help with the development of the game in some fashion.

Maybe they looked at what the community wanted and then crunched the numbers and found a wsy to make it work. They mentioned from the beginning that they'd like to do a PC port at some point.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
if i pitch in for the $50 "INTELLIGENTSIA EDITION" do I get a physical copy of the game along with the book? I would assume so but I just want to be sure. it's not 100% clear.

I think physical copies of the game start at $100.

Maybe they looked at what the community wanted and then crunched the numbers and found a wsy to make it work. They mentioned from the beginning that they'd like to do a PC port at some point.

Either way, it looks poorly on Camouflaj, in my opinion. Either the 500k "budget" was bullshit for just iOS, or they are going to have to take funds away from the iOS version to support the PC/Mac versions. I'm going with "bullshit budget", personally.

Impressive funding! Never seemed possible after the first two weeks.

Perhaps not. Although they are saying they're going to make "unique" versions for Mac and PC, so there is definitely going to be some work involved. Regardless--their initial pitch was all about iOS and how they were dedicated to that platform. Unless they were just lying, none of the 500k they were asking for was initially going to go to any platform besides iOS.

Most of the budget isn't coming from Kickstarter, they said at the start it would be costing over $1M. I'd think any extra needed would be provided by their other investors, as there seems to be value in a PC port.
500k was a very round sounding number to begin with.

soultron

Banned
This project was really funded?
yodinha1fu5y.gif

Perhaps the backlash when both versions are released will be amusing, at least.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I seriously cannot understand why some people are rooting against this game. Just go play something else? Go outside?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Impressive funding! Never seemed possible after the first two weeks.

Most of the budget isn't coming from Kickstarter, they said at the start it would be costing over $1M. I'd think any extra needed would be provided by their other investors, as there seems to be value in a PC port.
500k was a very round sounding number to begin with.

Yes, exactly. That's why I didn't back this project. I'm excited about the game and think it looks awesome. I'll almost certainly purchase it when it comes out. However, I still think it's kind of an abuse of what Kickstarter's really about, which is kick-starting projects that otherwise wouldn't have been able to see the light of day.

Curufinwe

there seems to be some unnatural hatred for this particular Kickstarter. I don't really see what's so different about this compared to other Kickstarters out there. they are so butthurt.

Garnett should have him back on Weekend Confirmed to argue about Republique.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, damn. I just now realized that they are located in Seattle. I may have to go back on my stance toward this project and back them to support local game developers.

Hey guys!!! Help Jane Jensen(Gabriel Knight, King Quest 6, Police Quest 3) Kickstarter campaign too!!! We just need more 116K to reach 450K and get the premium version of Moebius (with more dialogs, more puzzles, scenes and orchestra). Backers with 50$ tier, gets 3 games from Jane! 2 new adventures like the Double Fine one, and a Kids Games!!! We need your help!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg

There is a thread for that already, go bump it if you want to bring it attention.

Salaadin

Hey guys!!! Help Jane Jensen(Gabriel Knight, King Quest 6, Police Quest 3) Kickstarter campaign too!!! We just need more 116K to reach 450K and get the premium version of Moebius (with more dialogs, more puzzles, scenes and orchestra). Backers with 50$ tier, gets 3 games from Jane! 2 new adventures like the Double Fine one, and a Kids Games!!! We need your help!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg

You had me at Kings Quest 6.

Studio is 2 hours from me too.

See I'm the opposite of a lot of these people. I only have a Mac and it's a quite old one that really can't run games that well so if there's no iOS version then I'm not interested.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
there seems to be some unnatural hatred for this particular Kickstarter. I don't really see what's so different about this compared to other Kickstarters out there. they are so butthurt.

It seems that some folks see this game as something pretentious. AAA iOS gaming! A game where you don't kill! How dare they!

soultron

Banned
It seems that some folks see this game as something pretentious. AAA iOS gaming! A game where you don't kill! How dare they!

"Games only cost $10K to make!"
"I won't be able to play it because I don't have an iDevice and I didn't bother to read any updates in the OP!"
"This isn't a game I want to play so no one should get to see it made!"
"Shitfarter!"

And so on.

"Games only cost $10K to make!"
"I won't be able to play it because I don't have an iDevice and I didn't bother to read any updates in the OP!"
"This isn't a game I want to play so no one should get to see it made!"
"Shitfarter!"

And so on.

But Shitfarter is a valid reason!

Majukun

i would've never though this game would have actually be founded..congratulations to the developers..now make a good job

Glad it got funded! cant wait to play it.

it seems like the collective eyes of the gaming world are going to be watching to see how this pans out.

hope it works out and more games can get made via this method.

Top Bottom