• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Another one for the haters club

I seriously don't understand this.

Do these people just not READ the actual page? Are they completely unfamiliar with what is going on here? Most Kickstarters ARE just a collection of ideas (why no similar comments directed at those?), but that IS NOT THE CASE with Republique.

The game exists, is playable, and has had a lot of work put into it well before the Kickstarter was launched. They are one of the only groups to actually put in the effort before asking for money. For this reason I CANNOT even begin to understand where people get off claiming that it's "just a bunch of ideas". It's not at all.

It's ridiculous.

LiK

Do these people just not READ the actual page? Are they completely unfamiliar with what is going on here? Most Kickstarters ARE just a collection of ideas (why no similar comments directed at those?), but that IS NOT THE CASE with Republique.

The game exists, is playable, and has had a lot of work put into it well before the Kickstarter was launched. They are one of the only groups to actually put in the effort before asking for money. For this reason I CANNOT even begin to understand where people get off claiming that it's "just a bunch of ideas". It's not at all.

It's ridiculous.

there seems to be some unnatural hatred for this particular Kickstarter. I don't really see what's so different about this compared to other Kickstarters out there. they are so butthurt.

dkeane

Another one for the haters club

Why do these people feel the need to comment when it's obvious they haven't followed or read the kickstarter page.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...an?ref=live#HowWillWeReceTheGameForMyIphoTouc

How will we receive the game for my iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch?
While we can't get into details, Apple representatives were kind enough to sit down with Alexei and I and explain a few distribution options to us. Ultimately, the distribution method will be decided post-funding, but we can assure you that you will get the game for your iOS device at launch!

dark10x

there seems to be some unnatural hatred for this particular Kickstarter. I don't really see what's so different about this compared to other Kickstarters out there. they are so butthurt.
Seriously.

I mean, some of the other successful Kickstarters were created by people that really haven't created a significant game in years. They simply dropped a bunch of hype and ideas on us and people bit. I didn't see anything wrong with it myself as you long as you recognize this fact but despite that very few people slammed the "hype and ideas" approach in these cases.

Republique, however, has been in development for a while now and exists as a playable product yet NOW people are dragging this argument out?

Haethos

Banned
I jumped onboard yesterday because I need shit to play on my iPad. I'm sick of playing Rebuild and watching StarCraft vods.

It's ridiculous.

keep looking at hodapp's twitter, it's just him and his goons, they are all related, some of them are writers for touch arcade, it's just hilarious, they are like these mad salty fail villains that just can't admit defeat.

Sentenza

It's ridiculous.
To be honest the game as they describe it sounds completely unappealing to me, but yeah, there's no point in being so hostile about it. You don't like it, don't put your money in it. That's all.

Bullshit. This particular game needed to go multiplat to get funding. That is not enough to make a conclusion one way or the other.

Their whole reason for going on Kickstarter with an iOS only game was to "prove a point". Go read their Kickstarter page. They wanted to "SHOW" that the world "WANTS" a AAA iOS game.

They were completely fucking wrong of course. The project was 99% failure. They had an ace in their sleeve though, in the form of saying they would release a PC version. This gave them just enough to make it through.

Of course, this probably won't stop them from going "We proved our point, iOS is a viable gaming platform" which is complete bullshit. It isn't. People don't want to play more than a few minutes at a time on their ipads. Anything more than building a floor on Tiny Tower, or showing their friends how awesome the graphics are in Infinity Blade, there is no interest for it. iOS is for <$5 games to kill time on the toilet, and that's that. They found a way around it, by adding a PC game. How they twist the facts in the press will be interesting, and potentially excruciating (as if watching ryan peyton wearing dessert scarves indoors on promo videos wasn't enough to annoy me)

The game isn't out for a year and I've already gotten my 60 bucks of enjoyment. FEED ME MORE.

salt.jpg

If that's all it takes to entertain you, I should start charging!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't know why we give these haters attention. Who gives a shit? This Kickstarter movement for gaming is pretty groundbreaking and I'm excited to see where it takes us.

dark10x

To be honest the game as they describe it sounds completely unappealing to me, but yeah, there's no point in being so hostile about it. You don't like it, don't put your money in it. That's all.
That's a fair critique. You don't like the look of the game? Don't put any money in.

I just think there is something commendable about delivering a fully working prototype game before coming to Kickstarter.

I don't know why we give these haters attention. Who gives a shit? This Kickstarter movement for gaming is pretty groundbreaking and I'm excited to see where it takes us.
It's just appalling how nasty they can be. Real assholes.

It looks like a genuinely interesting game which has been in development a while before they asked for money. They should be called out on it. Their actions speak for themselves, fortunately.

Hatred has been created of the initial iOS only controversy byall the Apple haters. Then after PC/Mac announcement all the Apple lovers went into hate mode. And there was the outburst of TouchArcade which worked as a catalyst. So basically this whole kickstarter was built around hatred from different factions...

The sweeter it is that they made it after all

Seriously.

I mean, some of the other successful Kickstarters were created by people that really haven't created a significant game in years. They simply dropped a bunch of hype and ideas on us and people bit. I didn't see anything wrong with it myself as you long as you recognize this fact but despite that very few people slammed the "hype and ideas" approach in these cases.

Republique, however, has been in development for a while now and exists as a playable product yet NOW people are dragging this argument out?
The funny thing to me is he acts like it's surprising that hype and ideas are worth money (even though Republique is more than that, which you've already pointed out). If he finds this surprising I'd love to see what he thinks about something like Halo 4's marketing budget.

HoodWinked

With this Republique will become the 7th game to breach the half a million mark. Puts it in pretty distinguished company:

1. Double Fine Adventure
2. Wasteland 2
3. Shadowrun Returns
4. The Banner Saga
5. Leisure Suit Larry
6. Yogventures
7. Republique

(no insult intended i am honestly asking)
could someone explain what was special about banner saga? i understand the others but cant really understand how this one was funded so hard and so fast. especially when they were only asking for 100k in their initial offering.

Einbroch

Banned
(no insult intended i am honestly asking)
could someone explain what was special about banner saga? i understand the others but cant really understand how this one was funded so hard and so fast. especially when they were only asking for 100k in their initial offering.

Art style, Bioware, SRPG, PC, great rewards.

My hatred comes from the fact they are using this to "prove" people are willing to "put their money where their mouth is" to get a AAA iOS game. But they aren't. It completely failed as an iOS game. It barely made it as a PC game. Since I don't know how they are spinning the "success" I can no longer hate it. So we'll wait and see.

That, and dessert scarves. You are wearing a fucking SCARF. INDOORS. IN 2012. And you are ASKING FOR MONEY. FUCK YOU.

Tobor

Their whole reason for going on Kickstarter with an iOS only game was to "prove a point". Go read their Kickstarter page. They wanted to "SHOW" that the world "WANTS" a AAA iOS game.

They were completely fucking wrong of course. The project was 99% failure. They had an ace in their sleeve though, in the form of saying they would release a PC version. This gave them just enough to make it through.

Of course, this probably won't stop them from going "We proved our point, iOS is a viable gaming platform" which is complete bullshit. It isn't. People don't want to play more than a few minutes at a time on their ipads. Anything more than building a floor on Tiny Tower, or showing their friends how awesome the graphics are in Infinity Blade, there is no interest for it. iOS is for <$5 games to kill time on the toilet, and that's that. They found a way around it, by adding a PC game. How they twist the facts in the press will be interesting, and potentially excruciating (as if watching ryan peyton wearing dessert scarves indoors on promo videos wasn't enough to annoy me)

For all we know this was the wrong type of game to prove that point. Who fucking knows, which is my point. This proves nothing one way or the other.

numble

My hatred comes from the fact they are using this to "prove" people are willing to "put their money where their mouth is" to get a AAA iOS game. But they aren't. It completely failed as an iOS game. It barely made it as a PC game. Since I don't know how they are spinning the "success" I can no longer hate it. So we'll wait and see.

That, and dessert scarves. You are wearing a fucking SCARF. INDOORS. IN 2012. And you are ASKING FOR MONEY. FUCK YOU.
7,017 out of 10,534 backers are getting the iOS game.

Edit: bad math--the reward tiers for the iPhone case and I think another reward tier don't specifically give you the iOS game--you'll get to choose between PC or iOS. So there are 245 people I included that might have chosen PC and not receive the iOS game, though if they are getting an iPhone case, it's likely they'll ask for the iOS version.

dark10x

That's a pretty silly reason to condemn a project, you know.

The proof already exists (Infinity Blade) and they were hoping to further that, I suppose. The fact that it has failed (as you put it) gives me less hope for iOS style games, to be honest. I'm growing to dislike the platform and feel that most games available ARE a waste of money (in that I buy them and spend all of 5 minutes playing the majority).

I'm genuinely surprised by the negative reaction to the idea of such games on iOS. Wouldn't that only serve to grow the platform as a gaming device?

7,017 out of 10,534 backers are getting the iOS game.
So it seems that people DO want it on iOS.

HoodWinked

I know, but that's what people see. They threw the Bioware name out there every chance they could.

And I don't blame them for it.

ctrl+f bioware. no results found. dont even see it mentioned on the page, im still pretty confused by the whole thing.

i listen to podcasts read game sites frequently, and post here alot as well and i found about this game(banner saga) i think the last day of funding. i knew about republique from the start, seemed like tons of podcasts were talking about it and they barely met their goal. kickstarter feels like the lottery to me.

this one especially.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light

Nohar

... Wow. I didn't really expect this project to be funded. That's some miracle which was accomplished here those last days.

That's a pretty silly reason to condemn a project, you know.

The proof already exists (Infinity Blade) and they were hoping to further that, I suppose. The fact that it has failed (as you put it) gives me less hope for iOS style games, to be honest. I'm growing to dislike the platform and feel that most games available ARE a waste of money (in that I buy them and spend all of 5 minutes playing the majority).

Obviously I am only being facetious about the whole scarf thing. If someone wants to look like a douche, that's their own thing.

My issue comes from the fact that they could have funded this normally, without kickstarter. They were obviously well funded to begin with. The guy who is the self proclaimed savior of the Metal Gear series sold his house and cashed in all his savings to start the project. That should me millions of dollars. Look at the videos they made. They don't need $500K. That is a drop in the bucket for a project like this. They are using kickstarter. Using gamers. To prove a stupid point. They are basically the worst kind of Apple fanboys (even worse than the kind who wear scarves indoors in 2012). Like this is a new breed of annoyance. They have the ears of the press, and this is only going to get worse.

Whether the game is good or not, we'll have to wait and see. I would LOVE to use my ipad more than 5 minutes a day. But come the fuck on. If you funded this, you just got used.

It's the scarf isn't it? Just quit watching all their video updates.
I only watched the first after listening to WC. If all the videos feature scarves then, well that just proves my point further ;) Anyone who can afford to wear scarves indoors in the summer in 2012 does not need funding to make a game ;)

border

For all we know this was the wrong type of game to prove that point. Who fucking knows, which is my point. This proves nothing one way or the other.

Yeah, I'm interested in iOS as a gaming platform, but they pitched this as a "stealth game from the 32-bit era".

There's a reason that genre completely died off. I'm not sure if this is the ultimate test of iOS as a platform, simply because they picked a genre that is not well-liked today and there isn't a lot of nostalgia for it either (unlike say the point and click adventure or isometric strategy RPG).

The guy who is the self proclaimed savior of the Metal Gear series sold his house and cashed in all his savings to start the project. That should me millions of dollars.

Do you think Payton actually owned a house worth millions? How much do you think game developers get paid?

I believe that this game would have been funded after a week, when they would have announced it for PC to begin with.

• nobody wants to play a AAA game on a screen smaller than iPad screen
  • there is about 25m iPads out there and most of these are not owned by gamers
  • 500k for iOS only was too much to ask
  • people were unsure about iOS delivery because of Apples limitations. And obviously a majority has not read Paytons statement about this.
  • the sum of the above reasons made the rewards rather unattractive

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Whether the game is good or not, we'll have to wait and see. I would LOVE to use my ipad more than 5 minutes a day. But come the fuck on. If you funded this, you just got raped.

Considering I pretty much just paid for a pre-order that I would have purchased anyway, I wouldn't really call it being "raped."

As a sidenote, if you add all the PC/Mac-only pledges together (ie all the backers on the $15 + $30 levels), they amount to about (at least) $50 000.

I wouldn't really consider that accurate, though. I have zero interest in the iOS version right now. I don't even own an Apple product, but I still pledged enough to get both. I can give away my iOS copy, or maybe I'll get an iPhone by the time this game is released. I only dove in because I wanted the PC version, but bought both. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

dark10x

They are using kickstarter. Using gamers. To prove a stupid point.
You really think it's all just a big ploy to "prove a stupid point"?

I find it hard to believe that this is some kind of Apple fanboy move on their part.

KTallguy

Banned
Whether the game is good or not, we'll have to wait and see. but come the fuck on. If you funded this, you just got raped.

I only watched the first after listening to WC. If all the videos feature scarves then, well that just proves my point further ;) Anyone who can afford to wear scarves indoors in the summer in 2012 does not need funding to make a game ;)

You're pathetic. They have prototype builds and a vertical slice that shows the look and feel of the game. I like how that looks. I put my money down. Sure, it's a gamble, but I respect where Ryan came from and what he's worked on. I also want more of these kinds of experiences on iOS. I don't mind that it's also being devved for PC, and it's Unity so the portability probably won't be such an issue, but my main drive was for the iOS experience.

I don't know if you expect them to pile up top-ramen boxes in their office, or move their office to a dank basement, or only buy coffee from 7-11, or whatever you think will make them look poorer. But games cost money to make, especially one with mo-cap, full voice acting, and the high quality graphics that they are aiming for (as seen in the vertical slice).

If we're being "raped" because we're putting money forward to support something we think should be on the market, then... well I don't know what to say. If you don't like how Ryan dresses, then I guess... don't support him? But the game is moving and there and speaks for itself.

charsace

It's ridiculous.

Its simple; they don't like it so they believe no one else should either. Could be that they are just a bunch of idiot haters that would like to take the risk and make an indie game, but they don't have the balls to do so.

Haethos

Banned
ctrl+f bioware. no results found. dont even see it mentioned on the page, im still pretty confused by the whole thing.

They mentioned it in their initial video -- i remember that for sure. i think the banner saga hype thread on here mentioned it a bunch too

What is going on here?

I guess I am wrong. This was going to be funded all along. Everyone wants to fund this game. Sorry for using the word 'rape' in a colloquial sense.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
BIG congrats to Ryan and everybody involved! I made a small piece to celebrate :)

rep_fan.jpg

JABEE

Obviously I am only being facetious about the whole scarf thing. If someone wants to look like a douche, that's their own thing.

My issue comes from the fact that they could have funded this normally, without kickstarter. They were obviously well funded to begin with. The guy who is the self proclaimed savior of the Metal Gear series sold his house and cashed in all his savings to start the project. That should me millions of dollars. Look at the videos they made. They don't need $500K. That is a drop in the bucket for a project like this. They are using kickstarter. Using gamers. To prove a stupid point. They are basically the worst kind of Apple fanboys (even worse than the kind who wear scarves indoors in 2012). Like this is a new breed of annoyance. They have the ears of the press, and this is only going to get worse.

Whether the game is good or not, we'll have to wait and see. I would LOVE to use my ipad more than 5 minutes a day. But come the fuck on. If you funded this, you just got raped.

Whoa, there.

Top Bottom