• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

cvxfreak

I have to ask, since I mentioned it in passing earlier when you weren't around: Are you involved partially because you *really* know about static third-person cameras in action games?

I wouldn't call myself an expert or even a game designer, but yeah. I'm helping out with that aspect, plus more. Can't say too much, but some of the accusations in this thread are absolutely ridiculous.

Congrats novery, you guys deserved it! Happy to contribute, never doubted successful funding for a second. Please make us a great game!

KTallguy

Banned
Congrats to Payton and team. I upped my pledge because I didn't like the iPhone case :p
Not that it doesn't look nice aesthetically! It's awesome looking, but I know it would sit in my room. Not really my style. So yeah, I upped. Good luck to you guys, don't disappoint!

Thank god, now the panhandling can stop

I wouldn't go so far as to call it panhandling, as a return on investment is the goal, but damned if this wasn't one of the most widespread KS campaigns I've ever seen. Couldn't go to any gaming-centric site without seeing tales of this project's woe and reverie. It almost got to the point of annoyance. Almost... but it's plain to see and hear the very impassioned forces behind this.

Congrats to the Camouflaj team.
Now, go forth, and deliver.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There it is, folks. Let's put the issue of "changing platforms" to rest now, please.

Besides, what platform do you think iOS games are developed on in the first place?

By that logic, every iOS game is also a Mac game.

You wouldn't be technically incorrect!

Corto

Congrats novery, you guys deserved it! Happy to contribute, never doubted successful funding for a second. Please make us a great game!

Oh I doubted. And that is what makes this even more fun. Now that you have total freedom go make a great game Camouflaj.

KTallguy

Banned
Well the thing is, they're devving in Unity. So Unity is crossplatform by nature. Sure it's not the same, but at least the base is there. Controls and such will have to change, but the overall narrative probably won't.

Anyway this is exciting! I hope I don't get burned :p

Coverly

There was a really good Forbes article on this subject but I can't find it on a quick google search so I'm linking to its inferior kotaku counterpart:

In fact, according to a Kickstarter representative who spoke to Kotaku yesterday, only about 25% of video game projects reach their funding goals. In contrast, about 45% of all projects reach their funding goals, the representative said. So gaming Kickstarters aren't doing very well at all. Established games like Wasteland and Leisure Suit Larry may have reached their goals, but they're more exception than rule.

Wiktor

There was a really good Forbes article on this subject but I can't find it on a quick google search so I'm linking to its inferior kotaku counterpart:

In fact, according to a Kickstarter representative who spoke to Kotaku yesterday, only about 25% of video game projects reach their funding goals. In contrast, about 45% of all projects reach their funding goals, the representative said. So gaming Kickstarters aren't doing very well at all. Established games like Wasteland and Leisure Suit Larry may have reached their goals, but they're more exception than rule.

I wouldn't say they aren't doing very well. I mean..gaming kickstarters typically have far higher goals than non-gaming ones, so it's not surprising it's harder to succeed.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I wouldn't say they aren't doing very well. I mean..gaming kickstarters typically have far higher goals than non-gaming ones, so it's not surprising it's harder to succeed.

I've often wondered how well a Kickstarter by JMS to do a HD restoration of Babylon 5 would do. All the live action footage still exists on film, all that would really need to be done is to transfer it to digital, and then redo all the CG assets in HD, even if all the models have to be remade. It would be a good excuse for better quality models anyway. I suppose the problem with the non-gaming KSs is that there's really no reward that can be given at lower tier funding levels.

With this Republique will become the 7th game to breach the half a million mark. Puts it in pretty distinguished company:

1. Double Fine Adventure
2. Wasteland 2
3. Shadowrun Returns
4. The Banner Saga
5. Leisure Suit Larry
6. Yogventures
7. Republique

It's insane to think that this project was only pulling in about $1000-$2000 per day just a few weeks ago. I know a spike is expected towards the end but my goodness.

jett

D-Member
The power of the Hayter. Good for them, no matter how they screwed up kickstarting this bitch they still made it. :lol

I assume though that they expected much more than 500k.

The power of the Hayter. Good for them, no matter how they screwed up kickstarting this bitch they still made it. :lol

They probably would have gotten *way* more had they asked for less initially ($250k or so) and announced PC/Mac & voice actors from the get go. Not sure if they expected more than $500k though, I think $500k was the minimum they had to get to attract investors, so they asked for that straight up.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Hooray! Glad to hear it—this felt like a really tense, slow-mo finish. I hope the documentary I'll be getting includes them drinking themselves into fits of misery and panic, followed by shots of them drinking themselves into fits of pure victory.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Good for them, no matter how they screwed up kickstarting this bitch they still made it. :lol

I assume they'll get it. Just probably not from Kickstarter. Having a half a million dollars plus in the bank (and this kind of early vocal support) should put them in a better position to negotiate any additional financing deal they might need.

Just looking at the graph blows my mind.

dailychart.png

They needed a ridiculous finish and they got it!

FStop7

Banned
I should start a kickstarter. Seems like it's impossible to not get money thrown at you.

I also like how GAFers are way more excited about "sticking it to Hodapp" than they are about the game.

I don't think Hodapp loses because you gave $100 to some project out of spite.

Yes, yes they are. Expect to see a lot of disappointment down the line.

People are always most excited about a game when it's still a pure fantasy pie in the sky that will fulfill all their dreams.

If anything, this game is the best example that you barely have to plan out anything. Change platforms mid-stream! Talk some big name voice actors into joining your project 7 days before you're supposed to hit targets! Go on obnoxious twitter campaigns to panhandle that last 50K!

Ugh.

Thank god, now the panhandling can stop

When respected members of the games press tell their fans to jump...

The game isn't out for a year and I've already gotten my 60 bucks of enjoyment. FEED ME MORE.

salt.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
When respected members of the games press tell their fans to jump...
So what's the alternative? It just fails to gain traction?

I don't think people would be contributing if it didn't appear to be a worthwhile project. Unlike nearly every other game related Kickstarter they actually put time and money into creating a working prototype build for people to play. This isn't just built on hopes and dreams, they have a real game here.

What exactly is wrong with that? Why are people getting so angry over the fundraising?

They should be applauded for actually delivering something BEFORE asking for money.

tomedo

Happy that they got there, now thinking about upping my pledge. I wasn't onboard before they announced pc version but now that I looked at the videos I think the ios version will be very cool too.

Anyone complaining about people asking for funding should probably go back in time 30 years and complain to PBS about the need to have telethons. If you don't like hearing about it, then unfollow who ever you're following on Twitter that is talking about it. You ultimately have the power to not see a damn thing about Kickstarter for the rest of your life if you want to.

Coming into a thread about a Kickstarter and complaining about everyone talking about Kickstarter seems pretty pointless.

Burekma

Have they ever disclosed how they are going to accomplish everything they set out to do?

The way I understand it, they originally needed an additional 500k to finish the iOS version. Now, with the same budget, they are gonna have to cover the iOS version, PC version, Mac version, Hayter, Hale and journalists.

I dunno, the maths just don't add up. Did they manage to get additional funds from some other sources as well, besides kickstarter? Or were these things planned from the beginning?

Have they ever disclosed how they are going to accomplish everything they set out to do?

The way I understand it, they originally needed an additional 500k to finish the iOS version. Now, with the same budget, they are gonna have to cover the iOS version, PC version, Mac version, Hayter, Hale and journalists.

I dunno, the maths just don't add up. Did they manage to get additional funds from some other sources as well, besides kickstarter? Or were these things planned from the beginning?

The $500K was the retain the rights to the IP. The cost of the project will be much more than what they asked for.

Balb

Have to say it's incredible that this got funded. After the first ten days I wasn't even sure if it'd get 300k. Good for them.

Top Bottom