• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Research Finds Huge Differences Between Male and Female Brains

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Now imagine if there were women in their place.
Potentially fucking terrifying.

TZWsefi.jpeg

Animated GIF

Research has shown that men think about the Roman Empire daily. And rightly so! But few people bother with the Holy Roman Empire - except German and Austrian pupils during history lessons.

2180px-RomanEmpire_117.svg_.png

qmg-hre-u48-q01.png
Well one was neither holy nor roman nor empire, while the glory of roman empire is eternal (shame that people are trying to bastardize it these days).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Cool, question is, how hard is it to put up a tSNE-1/tSNE-2 detector outside of every public restroom?
Think About It GIF by Identity
Yeah I think there might be some challenges putting an MRI outside of every public restroom.

It is pretty amazing though, that they can unambiguously tell if you’re male or female purely based on your brainwaves with zero overlap or continuum between the two.

I don't think about the Roman Empire whatsoever unless we're talking about the potential downfall of the USA.
I don't think about the Roman Empire all the time!

Sometimes I think about the mongols...

Or the Byzantine Empire...

Or the Three Kingdoms era...

Or the Spanish Empire...

Or the British Empire...

Or the nazis...

History is a boy's club because it's so fun of shiny armors and things to kill with

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't think about the Roman Empire all the time!

Sometimes I think about the mongols...

Or the Byzantine Empire...

Or the Three Kingdoms era...

Or the Spanish Empire...

Or the British Empire...

Or the nazis...

History is a boy's club because it's so fun of shiny armors and things to kill with

For me, I think about the Crusades and how it ruined so much of the Middle East and other societies. Not often but every now and then. Humans are flawed ... And they used religion as a cudgel to subjugate others. I see it happening now.

For me, I think about the Crusades and how it ruined so much of the Middle East and other societies. Not often but every now and then. Humans are flawed ... And they used religion as a cudgel to subjugate others. I see it happening now.
You have issues that no therapist could ever solve

Humdinger

People who say, "No kidding; we already knew this" are missing something. The "news" here isn't that there are differences between male and female brains. Yes, we've known that for decades.

The "news" here is that these findings run contrary to the prevailing scientific (not just liberal academic) narrative of the past several decades. Built on the basis of hundreds (thousands?) of studies, that narrative has been that although there are sex differences in brain morphology and function, the differences are dwarfed by the similarities, i.e., that we are more alike than different. The differences were seen more as a matter of degree - that is, lying on a continuum - rather than as a fundamental difference in type.

This study seems to suggest that the differences are less about degree (continuum), more about type.

Three cautions, though: 1) Never draw conclusions based on a single study, 2) I don't understand the measures and models the researchers used, and I doubt anyone here does either (not an insult, unless you're a neuroscience researcher); 3) human nature is often best described using both type-based and continuum-based models at the same time. It's not an either/or thing. It's often both/and.

LordOfChaos

Now imagine if there were women in their place.

I think a number of studies looked at history and found female leaders were no less violent

Top Bottom