• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

olimpia84

Started the campaign with Chris today. Graphics in the first chapter are the most impressive so far in the game so that's a plus. The negative: stupid cover system. It's clunky and pretty much useless.

Neiteio

One of the loading screen hints seemed to imply Flash Grenades will instantly take out a mutating J'avo, this true? Never really found any use for the flash grenades.
I use flash grenades quite a bit for crowd control. Sometimes dazing a group of enemies gives me some much-needed breathing room. My main grenade of choice is the incendiary grenade -- they were really handy during the L4D-ish holdouts in Leon's first three chapters (
gun shop, front of the cathedral, catacombs
).

Started the campaign with Chris today. Graphics in the first chapter are the most impressive so far in the game so that's a plus. The negative: stupid cover system. It's clunky and pretty much useless.
Don't rely on cover. Play it like Vanquish: throw yourself into the thick of the fray, fighting up close, and only take cover to rapidly recharge your stamina power (what they call the Physical Combat Guage) and to take out the occasional turret-fortified J'avo. Also, you can insta-snap to cover by sliding.

EekTheKat

Use the cover system for quick stamina regen. Really helpful if you go overboard with melee.

Bladenic

I use flash grenades quite a bit for crowd control. Sometimes dazing a group of enemies gives me some much-needed breathing room. My main grenade of choice is the incendiary grenade -- they were really handy during the L4D-ish holdouts in Leon's first three chapters (
gun shop, front of the cathedral, catacombs
).

Don't rely on cover. Play it like Vanquish: throw yourself into the thick of the fray, fighting up close, and only take cover to rapidly recharge your stamina power (what they call the Physical Combat Guage) and to take out the occasional turret-fortified J'avo. Also, you can insta-snap to cover by sliding.

I used them a few times for that too.

But if they do kill mutating J'avo instantly, then I'll probably get a lot more use out of them now, especially in later chapters.

Trigger

Ugh, I already dislike
Ada's
campaign. Stealth segments are just the worst.

Omg I know, the worst being chapter 2 which they cause and not even comment on haha.

Don't forget watching a plane get infected and then just tossing the critter off the plane. Let's hope it died in the landing and didn't just mutate more people, right Leon?
By the end of the campaign I was just cackling at how little Leon cared.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So no Jill and Sheva in this game? :(

BsmXE.gif

Hoping from some DLC... but they aren't in the main game.

I wish the RPG like system from mercs 3D made it to this game. I would probably be more addicted and willing to consider the inevitable overpriced DLC that will actually flesh it out.

T.O.P

Banned
Leon's third chapter was horrible, after the first two wich i loved

then....

Jake Chapter 3

this shit was one of the most awesome sequence i've ever played

seriously, holy shit

Lucentto

Banned
Just finished all campaigns. I will have to agree with the reviews, absolutely horrific experience. Mercenaries isn't that much fun either, I should just admit that I dislike the change in gameplay from earlier iterations of the series. Feels so unpolished.

omonimo

Banned
Just finished all campaigns. I will have to agree with the reviews, absolutely horrific experience. Mercenaries isn't that much fun either, I should just admit that I dislike the change in gameplay from earlier iterations of the series. Feels so unpolished.

Isn't the primary objective of capcom? Give an horrific experience. Sorry, I know the feeling. I just hope the next resident evil take the last how example.

Sectus

I was wrong about the joining player difficulty thing. I had been hunting for emblems earlier and I played in amateur mode, and then I joined a friend playing normal. It was pretty I was still at amateur difficulty as I was basically taking no damage.

It's weird how the game doesn't communicate this to you, or let you easily change it.

branny

then....

Jake Chapter 3

seriously, holy shit
You take the good, you take the bad,
You take them both and there you have
RE6, RE6.

Lucent

They really need to get these servers sorted out...

Yep. Borderlands 2 hasn't been out that long, but I played it like 3 days after it came out and had no problem with the co-op. =l Want to be able to play RE6 with my friends without them dropping in the middle of a mission.

Evolved1

Yep. Borderlands 2 hasn't been out that long, but I played it like 3 days after it came out and had no problem with the co-op. =l Want to be able to play RE6 with my friends without them dropping in the middle of a mission.

I'm getting a bunch of lag during mercs, connection time outs searching for agent hunt, and RE.net will not update any of my progress since yesterday.

Love the game, but this is kind of ridiculous.

Evolved1

How do you access the outfits you get from Residentevil.net? I just purchased Sherry's EX2 but I dont see it. I've already unlocked all outfits and characters by the way.

The one I bought updated as soon as I started playing... but things seem to be weird right now.

RE.net is supposed to update every hour (though stuff you buy is immediate) and it hasn't updated for me since yesterday.

Is this the chronology of the game? Does it help to play this in this order?

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5

Trigger

Is this the chronology of the game? Does it help to play this in this order?

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5

Yes and yes.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Since I saw series rankings I will give my quick first impression since finishing RE6

RE4
RE2
RECV
RE5
REmake = RE1
Revelations
RE6
RE3
RE0

Rev cause of Raid and the total package, the campaign is the worst in the series.

If I remember your username correctly, in the RE5 OT didn't you repeatedly debate, with people like me and others who preferred RE4, that RE5 was the superior game? I remember the person had Wesker in his name. If it was you it seems like you've changed your mind over the years.

The majority of the people in the RE5 OT had the opinion that 5 was better than 4, overall, because of the online modes, which in turn resulted in heated debates with those who preferred 4. I think it was maybe CVXfreak who had the idea that maybe it was wise to wait until the "newness" of RE5 to wear off, and then revisit the comparison in 4 or 5 months time. I forgot who created the topic, but months later we had a "RE4 vs. RE5" poll and RE4 won by an overwhelming margin.

My point is that maybe we should wait for the "newness" to wear off before comparing RE6 alongside other RE's. Some may grow to like it more than they thought and some may see its faults more clearly than ever before after some time passes.

Although I have played it, I'm still debating whether or not to buy it. I just don't want to pay more than $35 for it.

great, I believe they have found a way to be invincible or something.

Im in agent hunt... we hit him with the regenerators 30 times (player, not ai), including 3 or 4 grabs... and he was still alive without using pills.

Not to mention that he has inf ammo. This mode is a mess.

RedSwirl

I am convinced the recovery system in this game is broken, at least in singleplayer. Of all the times I've been in critical state, I think I've actually recovered like twice. Most of the time I have zero chance. There's usually an attack liked right up to finish me off before I can do anything.

Neiteio

I am convinced the recovery system in this game is broken, at least in singleplayer. Of all the times I've been in critical state, I think I've actually recovered like twice. Most of the time I have zero chance. There's usually an attack liked right up to finish me off before I can do anything.
Do you spam Circle to call your AI partner to revive you? Also, it helps to equip yourself with Field Medic (AI partner restores your health upon revival) or Recovery (reduces the time you're crawling around in a critical state, good for when your partner is unable to reach you). Also, to avoid falling in this state in the first place, remember you can use R2 + Square to instantly mix and load up any herbs in your inventory.

RedSwirl

Do you spam Circle to call your AI partner to revive you? Also, it helps to equip yourself with Field Medic (AI partner restores your health upon revival) or Recovery (reduces the time you're crawling around in a critical state, good for when your partner is unable to reach you). Also, to avoid falling in this state in the first place, remember you can use R2 + Square to instantly mix and load up any herbs in your inventory.

It happens even after my partner get's me up. Even if I have full tablets, someone usually finishes me off before I can even press R2.

Neiteio

It happens even after my partner get's me up. Even if I have full tablets, someone usually finishes me off before I can even press R2.
If you keep having trouble with that, equip the Field Medic skill -- your AI partner will revive you with pills instead of a syringe, giving you enough health to take a couple hits as soon as you stand up.

So, Normal or Veteran ?
Can I change the difficulty later ?
You can always change the difficulty, but I recommend Normal if this is your first time playing. The game does little to teach you its mechanics.

Trigger

I don't have the swag necessary to use RedSwirl's remote bomb technique.

So, Normal or Veteran ?
Can I change the difficulty later ?

Normal if you've never touched RE5 or 4. Veteran if you're playing coop or you're familiar with shooters. I did the whole thing on that difficulty and had no problem.

Bladenic

Ugh, I already dislike
Ada's
campaign. Stealth segments are just the worst.

Don't forget watching a plane get infected and then just tossing the critter off the plane. Let's hope it died in the landing and didn't just mutate more people, right Leon?
By the end of the campaign I was just cackling at how little Leon cared.

I really like that part.
Though I'm not sure how those people got infected considering the gas was only spread in the hangar but oh well, it was cool. But yeah, pulling the pressure thing was dumb. Leon was pretty inept in this game actually. It was kinda funny considering how he is in 4.

Also I agree with your first point. Ain't here for that. Finished the first chapter just now, it was good overall beside that beginning.

branny

I don't have the swag necessary to use RedSwirl's remote bomb technique.
I tried doing that the other day and blew myself up because I got too excited. :lol

It reminded me of how I will sometimes take a long sprint toward an enemy from far away and jump kick with pride, then miss a few inches short and get my face mauled because I miscalculated. :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
omggg chris is so badddd

a) is piers modeled on taylor lautner
b) what's with chris' mung haircut

branny

a) is piers modeled on taylor lautner
Wow, it seems everyone thinks something different. Several have mentioned how Piers bears an uncanny resemblance to Revolver Ocelot. I maintain that he looks like Colton Haynes mixed with Mariska Hargitay.

Shouta

On Leon 5 and jeez the boss fight is kinda long. Cool but kinda long. I wish there was a bigger variety of bosses though. I actually enjoyed Leon 3 for the most part, aside from the stupid drops the server was giving us. I dug the split sections because I'm playing co-op with a friend so.

Bladenic

then....

Jake Chapter 3

seriously, holy shit

I enjoyed Leon 3, don't know why people seem to hate it. Only annoyance was the seemingly respawning enemies but they were never more than 2-3 at a time. It was worse when compared to 2 though, but that's probably the best chapter in the game.

However I agree about Jake. Far and away his best chapter. So awesome. Reminded me of Mirrors edge at the beginning.

Speaking of Leon 2, I recall a locked door with a big insignia on it. I ran around but couldn't find anything that would unlock it. What's the deal there?

A cute easter egg I've noticed: in at least some of the loading screens, there's a "6" that looks just like the one in the game's logo hidden in the images. I've seen them in the veins on zombies' bodies, and in the creases of Leon's jacket. If they're there in-game too, that's pretty cool.

Trigger

I really like that part.
Though I'm not sure how those people got infected considering the gas was only spread in the hangar but oh well, it was cool. But yeah, pulling the pressure thing was dumb. Leon was pretty inept in this game actually. It was kinda funny considering how he is in 4.

Also I agree with your first point. Ain't here for that. Finished the first chapter just now, it was good overall beside that beginning.

The part where Ada answers the questions while fighting is so fucking cool. So much swag on every level. I like the set up of her scenario.

Top Bottom